Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,415 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Which African Country Speaks The Best English? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which African Country Speaks The Best English? (54191 Views)

Please Which Is The Best English Grammar Text / Which African Country Speaks The Best English Language / LIST: Best English Speaking Countries In Africa See Where Nigeria Is On The List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by gatiano(m): 9:57am On Feb 25, 2017
Do you mean who is the best slaves and the best colonial minded?

Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
English language is the global/international language at the moment.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.
Best English Speaking Countries In Africa:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.

2 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by chachanga: 10:01am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.

Too bad your country men are already too anemic in that department. The blood flowing in their self-deceived persons na cocktail. A veritable concoction of fakeries borrowed from other Western cultures all over and learned at great pains and pretence, via dstv.

Like a wandering star, Nigeria itself has lot touch with its roots and retains no sense of a lofty ideal for the unified collective to pursue.

Do you then wonder how easily and speedily we shed our identities under such conditions? What would Fela say? or Nnamdi Azikwe? Or Awolowo, Chinua Achebe? And other african greats like Kwame Nkrumah, Thomas Sankara...

The mass hypnosis of neocolonialism is almost done here, ably assisted by the greedy lootocrats Nigeria was cursed with....just do the little you can, maybe one day, we still can get people back to their senses!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Mandateinfinito(m): 10:02am On Feb 25, 2017
I thought it was Ghana b4! Not knowing that Nigeria is even better than Ghana, provided WLA's ranking is correct! But Uganda.............. am surprised!!!
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Gerrard59(m): 10:03am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:
This type of topic should be deleted by the moderators as its promoting slavery. English is not our language!!. It is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors when we were slaves, and as such, you shouldn't be proud speaking it.

Some of you often ask; what were our ancestors doing to have been enslaved? What they were doing is the same thing you're doing today when you promote English language or feel proud speaking it.

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. I regret to have learned to speak English in school. I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.

There is nothing wrong with speaking the English Language. The problem is that we relegated our indigenous languages to the background. But then, how do you want an extremely diverse country to communicate effectively and properly? In Akwa Ibom, an Oron indigene knows Ibibio, however, the Ibibios don't know the Oro Language. Can please tell me how you want both parties to communicate effectively? Don't tell me both should speak Ibibio, as the Oro people prefer speaking their language than speaking another. What about Cross River where an Atam person doesn't know Efik and vice versa? What about Rivers where the Ijaws speak a different language from the Eastern Obolos and the Igboid group Ikwerre? What about Delta? The diversity (which is actually a good thing) calls for a common language - either Pidgin or English language. But to expect everyone to speak their native language calls for confusion. Babel will be a child's play.

Additionally, unfortunately, we have not utilized our use of the English language to proper economic value. Unlike India, Philippines or even Kenya which utilized the language for their BPO business, we don't even when we speak a proper form of the English language than them (Indians). By now, we should be the numero uno in the outsourcing industry. A suggestion will be to legalise the speaking/use of our native languages. Examples include Switzerland, Singapore etc. But that works effectively when it is four languages and few ethnic groups not 250+ ethnic groups and a plethora of languages. The use of WAZOBIA will be like an imposition on the minorities. Another will be teach our children (at home not school) - (from 3-6 years native languages of both parents - if they are of different ethnic groups). Research shows that the younger one is, the likelihood of learning a new language. But that shouldn't stop the teaching and usage of the English Language - properly.

So sir, let's continue the use of the English language - properly and economically.

At the topic, I am surprised Ghana is down the list. I remembered a thread where the Chinese Government sponsored a program to recruit English teachers from African countries and Zambia, Ghana and Kenya made the top three. South Africa and I think Zimbabwe were somewhat close. Old thread. On the other hand, Nigeria was nowhere to be found. Not like I was surprised sef.

Time to listen to how other African nations speak the language. Too much watching Ghanaian programmes have deceived me. grin

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by LordKushmann(m): 10:04am On Feb 25, 2017
Pweety008:

What's the meaning of this Afonjas self? I have always wanted to know

Afonja was one of the reasons for the collapse of the Oyo empire. Part of our questions in 2k7 history WAEC. He was a very powerful Onakakanfo who wanted power of the Alafin for himself due to his successful military exploits in Dahomey. It was difficult for him as the oyó me sí prefered a weak Alafin they could control to a powerful nigga like Afonja.

So he went to Kwara, connived with the Fulanis and took horses from them to defeat Oyo. The Fulanis later screwed Afonja over and took over power for themselves. Wikipedia should help you out better. When you compare Afonja with Awolowo and Tinubu, you'll understand why Igbos are not really fond of an average Yoruba mentality because it seems genetic and plays down till this day. Of course it's not a general something.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by odogwu2007(m): 10:06am On Feb 25, 2017
Onyochejohn:
anybody you see type or mention afonja is a classic fools , afonja according to history was a local worrior who fought against Fulani rulership Ilorin kwara state, kwara state is a North Central Nigeria comprises of many tribes and languages
chai bros u can lie oooh

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by obataokenwa(m): 10:07am On Feb 25, 2017
GlorifiedTunde:
Now when you talk of spoken English, were phonetic sounds, diction and tones considered?

Because I do not think South Africa beats Nigeria with the above.

I dunno about Uganda though.
Just watch testimonies on TB Joshua. South Africans speak so correctly with vocabs. Nigerians are not to good with correct sentence
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by iwadobo: 10:07am On Feb 25, 2017
Pweety008:

Afonja was the name of the Yoruba man who betrayed his people to the Hausa Fulani in Kwara state. But since most yorubas still exhibit that trait, the Ipob (Igbos) started calling the yorubas afonja. But we are not all afonja shall , though we have them many amongst us.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by LordKushmann(m): 10:08am On Feb 25, 2017
Gerrard59:

There is nothing wrong with speaking the English Language. The problem is that we relegated our indigenous languages to the background. But then, how do want an extremely diverse country to communicate? In Akwa Ibom, an Oron indigene knows Ibibio, however, the Ibibios don't know the Oro Language. Can please tell me how you want both parties to communicate effectively? Don't tell me both should speak Ibibio, as the Oro people prefer speaking their language than speaking another. What about Cross River where an Atam person doesn't know Efik and vice versa? What about Rivers where the Ijaws speak a different language from the Eastern Obolos and the Igboid group Ikwerre? What about Delta? The diversity (which is actually a good thing) calls for a common language - either Pidgin or English language. But to expect everyone to speak their native language calls for confusion. Babel will be a child's play.

Additionally, we have not utilized our use of the English language to economic value. Unlike India, Philippines or even Kenya which utilized the language for their BPO business, we don't even when we speak a proper form of the English language than them. By now, we should be the numero uno in the outsourcing industry. Another suggestion will be to legalise the speaking/use of our native languages. Examples include Switzerland, Singapore etc. But that works effectively when it is four languages and few ethnic groups not 250+ ethnic groups and a plethora of languages. The use of WAZOBIA will be like an imposition on the minorities.

So sir, let's continue the use of the English language - properly and economically.

We should simply make Nigerian official and only learn English in schools for international reasons. After all English is also a pidgin language as it keeps borrowing just to be relevant. We have Gaelic, Latin, Nordic and Germanic influences on English. Yet Nigerian pidgin only has Wetin from Dutch Wetten and Sabi from Portuguese Saber
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by odogwu2007(m): 10:08am On Feb 25, 2017
Pweety008:

bros d truth is when u turn around everything that dude told u, then u will get who afonja is. In a nut shell he betrayed his people and sold kwara to funali peeps grin now u know the story
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Klington: 10:14am On Feb 25, 2017
slam7000:

Afonja.
wicked grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Section80(m): 10:15am On Feb 25, 2017
crap.... Kenyans should top that list....
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by teevodaprinz(m): 10:17am On Feb 25, 2017
It's never too late and if u could decide not to speak English anymore, I think there's no crime in that. COMMUNICATION is all that is required to associate, transact and some other things. Being slavery or not, I think to a length English, swahili and Spanish are the most acceptable language in the world and that automatically would bring people together. And please if I may ask, why don't you use your so called local language to communicate (pass information) in your songs? I think you use English so people could understand. So saying you regret "quote & unquote" is somehow.

Saying the dialet is struggling to survive you would be on point 100% but going as far as "you regret learning English language in school" is totally out of point

Thank you

musicwriter:

Our native languages are now in a sorry state, some under threat of extinction, while we're busy fooling around promoting English. [b]I regret to have learned to speak English in school.[/b]I wish I invested all that time studying Igbo language and one other Nigerian language, like Yoruba or Hausa. If I could go back to school I'll invest my time studying our native languages.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Mustiboy(m): 10:18am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Ramaa(m): 10:21am On Feb 25, 2017
Tanzania
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Gerrard59(m): 10:21am On Feb 25, 2017
LordKushmann:

[/b]We should simply make Nigerian official[b] and only learn English in schools for international reasons. After all English is also a pidgin language as it keeps borrowing just to be relevant. We have Gaelic, Latin, Nordic and Germanic influences on English. Yet Nigerian pidgin only has Wetin from Dutch Wetten and Sabi from Portuguese Saber

Which one is Nigerian? If you mean Pidgin, there is no standardised form and it will require research and development of a constructed and standardisation form. Research takes time and is money guzzling (in any industry). But Nigeria has no predilection for R & D, so dead end.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 10:22am On Feb 25, 2017
Gerrard59:

There is nothing wrong with speaking the English Language. The problem is that we relegated our indigenous languages to the background. But then, how do want an extremely diverse country to communicate? In Akwa Ibom, an Oron indigene knows Ibibio, however, the Ibibios don't know the Oro Language. Can please tell me how you want both parties to communicate effectively? Don't tell me both should speak Ibibio, as the Oro people prefer speaking their language than speaking another. What about Cross River where an Atam person doesn't know Efik and vice versa? What about Rivers where the Ijaws speak a different language from the Eastern Obolos and the Igboid group Ikwerre? What about Delta? The diversity (which is actually a good thing) calls for a common language - either Pidgin or English language. But to expect everyone to speak their native language calls for confusion. Babel will be a child's play.

Additionally, we have not utilized our use of the English language to economic value. Unlike India, Philippines or even Kenya which utilized the language for their BPO business, we don't even when we speak a proper form of the English language than them. By now, we should be the numero uno in the outsourcing industry. Another suggestion will be to legalise the speaking/use of our native languages. Examples include Switzerland, Singapore etc. But that works effectively when it is four languages and few ethnic groups not 250+ ethnic groups and a plethora of languages. The use of WAZOBIA will be like an imposition on the minorities.

I' am not advocating prohibition of English, but that English should not be put above our native languages in school while our native languages put at the back seat. This is our country!!. We are not foreigners in Nigeria!!.

There's nobody born and schooled in Russia that doesn't speak Russian. There's nobody born and bred in China that doesn't speak Chinese. There's nobody born and bred in Britain that doesn't speak English, e.t.c, e.t.c. It is only in Africa that the languages installed by the colonists has displaced our native languages.

If you are talking about diversity, there's no country in the world as ethnically diverse as Indonesia and Malaysia. Indonesia have over 6,000 Islands with various ethnicities speaking all sorts of languages; Javanese, Mandarin, Indonesian, Chinese, Malay, e.t.c, but they adopted Indonesian as a common language. Malaysia have over 3,000 Islands with as much diverse languages, but they adopted Malay as a common language. In Nigeria we have our own Pidgin English to do that for us!!. Inferiority complex is the only reason the so called educated people in Nigeria are not advocating for this.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by dsocioemmy(m): 10:24am On Feb 25, 2017
Taaaaaa so na who speak English pass people dey celebrate now abi...

We won't take it. Nigeria should be number one. Check it out. We have Gifty who can defeat any Africa country in English

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ifenes(m): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:
While I was browsing the net this evening with my itel S31, came across this and decided to share.
Who speaks the best English in Africa? And the answer is Uganda. According to the world linguistic Agency, Uganda takes the cake for being the best English speaking African Nation.
First off, the idea behind the best English speaking African nation ranking is in no way to slight any nation. Africa is a country of an entirely different culture from the west. So, it is understandable that some African countries are still not fluent in them. As a matter of fact not all the nations of the world fancy the English language.
Like we say, anything worth doing is worth doing well. There are 28 English speaking African nations. From these 28, the World Linguistic Agency made a list of those who speak the best of English language in Africa.

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

It is also worthy to mention that as some countries were not colonized by the British, their Lingua franca differs. It will be asking too much to expect fluency from them.

A list of the best colonised African countries. What a shame!

2 Likes

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by bsideboii(m): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2017
Liberians to me speak the best English because even their uneducated ones sound better than a whole lot of educated Nigerians.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by sirlop(m): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2017
Akpevwe9:

1. Uganda

2. South Africa

3. Nigeria

4. Kenya

5. Zambia

6. Botswana

7. Zimbabwe

8. Malawi

9. Ghana

10. Rwanda

11. Sudan

How are u proud of this low end phone? People like us wey dey use HTC 10 or others using galaxy s7 series and iPhone 7 go come do wetin?
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 25, 2017
Pweety008:

Some prats refering to Yorubas
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 25, 2017
dingbang:
Nigeria will always bribe her way to make d list
I wonder if you even see anything good about yourself let alone Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ifenes(m): 10:31am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

True! And when a Nigerian speak in English to an English guy, he will ask him how long he has been in England lol. Meaning the Afrian speaks like a bush man.

It is a huge shame I am typing in English now. I am a slave to the system and can see the death of my African Language. I am not proud of it. I wish I could type in Yoruba right now
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Gerrard59(m): 10:31am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

I' am not advocating prohibition of English, but that English should not be put above our native languages in school while our native languages put at the back seat. This is our country!!. We are not foreigners in Nigeria!!.

There's nobody born and schooled in Russia that doesn't speak Russian. There's nobody born and bred in China that doesn't speak Chinese. There's nobody born and bred in Britain that doesn't speak English, e.t.c, e.t.c. It is only in Africa that the languages installed by the colonists has displaced our native languages.

If you are talking about diversity, there's no country in the world as diverse as Indonesia. Indonesia have over 6,000 Islands with various ethnicities speaking all sorts of languages; Javanese, Mandarin, Indonesian, Chinese, Malay, e.t.c, but they adopted Indonesian as a common language. [/b]We have our own Pidgin English to do that in Nigeria!![b].

OK I understand. At the bolded, it has standard no form and for it to be standardised, it needs research and development and R & D needs money and time. Nigeria is averse to anything R & D. You should know this by now. For now, use of native languages should be restricted to the homes. The schools shouldn't be given all the responsibilities of grooming and developing a child. Besides, I wouldn't want my tax money to be used in funding the teaching of another language.
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 25, 2017
Pweety008:

Did you see biafra on that list? shocked
Maybe on the last position
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 25, 2017
Nigerians actually speak english better than those african countries. the accent of their dialect over shadows the way they pronounce words. its just ridiculous, its like saying indians speak english better than the rest of the countries in d far east.

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by jamislaw(m): 10:35am On Feb 25, 2017
slam7000:

Afonja.
wallahi u no go kill me with laugh........afonja

1 Like

Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by musicwriter(m): 10:40am On Feb 25, 2017
Gerrard59:

OK I understand. At the bolded, it has standard no form and for it to be standardised, it needs research and development and R & D needs money and time. Nigeria is averse to anything R & D. You should know this by now. For now, use of native languages should be restricted to the homes. The schools shouldn't be given all the responsibilities of grooming and developing a child. Besides, I wouldn't want my tax money to be used in funding the teaching of another language.

Do you know English language itself was originally Pidgin? Do you know Britain was also colonized in the 4th century BC, but once they regained their freedom they banned speaking of foreign languages in Britain? Do you know English wasn't an official language until 1362?

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, it's under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by zinaunreal(m): 10:49am On Feb 25, 2017
1. Nigeria
2. Nigeria
3. Nigeria
4. Nigeria
5. Nigeria
6. Nigeria
7. Nigeria
8. Nigeria
9. Nigeria
10. Nigeria
11. Nigeria

Thats the current list. There is no other english speaking country but this country
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by CellTabRepairs: 10:51am On Feb 25, 2017
Uganda. ..true. I was shocked to learn that but it is true I observed

**Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!**
Re: Which African Country Speaks The Best English? by ForValour: 10:52am On Feb 25, 2017
musicwriter:

1 unlike

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

ASUU Announces ‘Conditional Suspension’ Of Strike / Dr. Chidubem Obi Graduates With 5.0 GP In A Russian University / Rats Destroy ABSU Student's Property During Lockdown (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.