Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Esan People Are Not Igbo! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Esan People Are Not Igbo! (16882 Views)

Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof / History Of Esan People Of Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by gregyboy(m): 11:25pm On Sep 29, 2019
MJuda:
I am a South African and I have been accused of being Igbo. Technically, I am. We call ourselves Thembu people or eMbo or Mambo.

My person lineage is:
MBEKE or MBEKO or MBANGO OR BHENGU (A BENIN AND ZULU SURNAME - I MET A ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIEST FROM BENIN WITH BHENGU AS A SURNAME) OR Bhele or Pedi or Dube or Medupi or Mvubi (the last 2 mean Torrential rain - this is also called the Rainmaker tribe) or Mbube or Ngonyama or Duma or Tau meaning Lion bore Mbambo (Mbambo comes from the Zulu House and is the plural of Mambo or eMbu also called Mkhize or Kisii - the latter is in Kenya, where most South African Zulus migrated from - Kenyans and Zulus are the same tribes) who bore Zwane or Msane or Masia or Mosia or Siamo or Seme or Dlomo or Molomo or Olomo or Oromo or Mzila or Amazias or Sela - my surname. These last are the Esan.

In fact, the current Zulu state/Land, called ElaMthaniya or Azania, is named after Esan or Mathanias or Mthaniya or Mathathias or Ndwandwe or Ndawonde or Dawude (the tribe that created the inter-Zulu wars that chased Zulus from South Africa to as far as Nigeria, Morrocco and Egypt and Middle East. They called themselves Ngoni and Khafula or Fulani or BaNguni or simply Nguni.

The whole of Africa comes from Edo or who we call Ntu the progenitor of the Bantu. Benin means Nguni. The princes of Bantu are called Mntungwa or Tonga or Othokhua or Ndonga or Toka or Hlalo or Hlongwa or BaTlokwa or Masoka or Masao or Saul or Sigcau or Sikhawu or Sikuke or Sikuka or BaTau or Mbuduma or Manala or Gala or Ngala or Ngonyama or Mbube or Mvumbi or Medupi or Dube or Mbedu or Obed.

From Otokhua or Mthonga came Okhuelesan or Ngwelezane (my local township - see the Zane in it stands for Zwane and Ngwe stands for the name for King amongst Zulus and my verbal libation = Mangwe or Mungwe = Leopard and it also means that in Far West Africa) or Mgwezane or Chisane or Chiliza or Chili the Chief tribe of the Ngwane or Akhan or Kani. The second is Esan or Zwane and the last is eMbu or Mambo or Igbo or Thembu. These are the Zulus of South Africa.

We settled in Mozambique and spread out thereafter but were pushed by Portuguese, English and Dutch and Germans to South Africa.

In Southern Africa, we acknowledge that we are all related. But apartheid and colonialism has us talking about differences instead of talking about similarities. That is why everyone knows what separates a tribe from another but not what brings you together.

My answer: Esan and Igbo's relationship is that Esan come from Igbo and rule the Igbo people. IGBO people and Benin people are the same. In South Africa, they are called Malambule or Khambule or Makhathini (Sons of Gad) or Gabengu = Sons of Bengu = BeNguni or Nguni (which is what Xulus/Zulus/Tulus/Sulus or Julus called themselves) or Banguni = Bulani = Fulani = Sons of Faku or Fakir/Fani/Fana or KaFana or Cabana or Cinga or Cai or Khai or Michael or Ngai or Magaye or Malawi or Malai or Merari. NGUNI is known as the progenitor of all Zulus. I believe Nigerians use Ogun and Jukun both in use in one form or other in South Africa.

Guni is also the 2nd son of Naphtali (Nephu-Thali, Nephu or Napo or Gambu or Gafu or Cafu or Funga or Pona or Buka or Sheba or Shaba is the progeny of the Igbo or Bhengu/Bhule or Fule or Fenkhu or Phoenicians who bore the Igbo/Mambo/Kisii or Mkhize or Zechi or Zwideor Esan or Zwane or Zagwe or Zangwe or Zakwe or Zie and Thali or Jali or Jair or Tyali or Mtshali, a tribe made up of Manasses and Judah and formed part of Benjamin but they ruled over the tribe of Manasses - this is all in the Bible), the fifth son of Jacob/Israel and Abia or Bemba or Mphemba, a concubine/Junior wife to 2nd wife Rachel, who ruled over the tribe of Gad, the 6th son of Jacob/Israel and Zilhar or Zimba, a concubine.

I know no-one will know this but it is worth a read. Something happened to us for us not to remember all of this...

Xenophobia
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by MiddleDimension: 11:39pm On Oct 01, 2019
pazienza:
In the colonial reports, some Esan communities admitted that they migrated from
Igboland.
And there are also Western Igbo communities with villages whose founders were of Esan origin.

Other than that, Esan is Esan and Igbo is Igbo.
I'm yet to see any Igbo person claim Esan people, the Esan language is not intelligible to the Igbo. The OP is an attention seeker.

https://www.nairaland.com/3463205/igbo-speaking-people-inter-relationship
but they claim igala and idoma. nonsense people!
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by osazuwa23: 11:13pm On Aug 02, 2020
i agree igbo dont answer esan names like adesua which is similar to bini adesuwa or names like osemudiiamen
Monkeydeychop:
There are igbos trying to include edo in their Biafra agenda and I came to put that shit to an end. Esans did not mate with Igbo people. There are settler tribes like anioma and ekpon people in edo state today who carry Igbo names but that's Because they are Igbo! Gradually they are coming to grab esan land and annex themselves into our beautiful Benin history. Lai Lai God forbid please don't try it! There's a reason why they were absconded by the oba of Lagos and I hope the o a of Benin does the same before shit gets out of hand.
Ika and ekpon people please o no offence but you people are not Esans, you are merely settlers from Igbo land.
We Esans, Afemai, etsako etc are all bini people from the Benin empire.
Infact Yoruba's in ondo, ekiti and some parts of Lagos and ogun are also descendants of the empire. There is no Igbo in our history. Our god of thunder is esango not amadioha.
Any Igbo man you here trying to include edo in their Biafra thing, warn them not to. Edo's do not even belong to the south south. We are our own Midwest identity. Even the delta people we are not related to them all, only the itsekiri people. The rest of them were just slaves who's language evolved to something similar to ours. Nothing more.

If Nigeria is to split, we are either going as our own Midwest region or we'd join oduduwa. But not niger delta or Biafra. Every body is just trying to grab edo and her history even the ijaw people in edo who are now saying they're the traditional owners. Oloshi. All foreigners should just leave my state please. They should either submit to the language and culture or go. Lagos now yoruba is included in their assemblies. Meanwhile in edo I'm seeing so called esan people from so called "ekpon" ethnic group answering names like Nkechi and chinenye instead of omoye or omosede. Please you are not Esans. You are simply Igbo! Don't distort or try to force yourselves into our history.
Thanks
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by osazuwa23: 12:16am On Aug 03, 2020
it weird that esan latch onto igbo then bini. bini and isan and yoruba are closley related name wise. for insatnce adesua etomi name is similar to bini name adesuwa and osemudiamen is similar to osamudiamen bini spelling we are very much alike
bigfrancis21:

I totally agree with you. I guess we need more people like you to tell them this. In the past a lot of migrations occurred however what matters today is your identity today or else the world would be a confusing place. You cannot speak Spanish, bear Spanish names and practice Spanish culture yet claim to be French.
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by osazuwa23: 10:06am On Aug 03, 2020
isnt it weird igbo and the bini have similar name spelled differentky for instance bini name is eweka and igbo say emeka somebody copied each other but we are to united under one nigeria to know who copied who
Monkeydeychop:

Useless ayamiri Zionist. Like you people have claimed the great edo name adaobi, that is how you will claim my history.
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by IDENNAA(m): 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2020
I lived in Bini for 5 yrs and I know Esans love Igbos and vice versa. You do think alot of them are Igbo by merely looking at them. But they arent Igbo, full stop. You guys can take Ika and Ukwuani if they chose to be your slaves...not my business

2 Likes

Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by osazuwa23: 6:15am On Aug 04, 2020
igbo beleive that esans are aprt of them based on looks. igbo like to claim an ybody taht lightskin as igbo but when it comes to names esans are more related to bini adesua esan bini spell it adesuwa. esan osemudiamen bini osamuidiamen, esan oseremen bini osareme
IDENNAA:
I lived in Bini for 5 yrs and I know Esans love Igbos and vice versa. You do think alot of them are Igbo by merely looking at them. But they arent Igbo, full stop. You guys can take Ika and Ukwuani if they chose to be your slaves...not my business
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by IDENNAA(m): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2020
osazuwa23:
igbo beleive that esans are aprt of them based on looks. igbo like to claim an ybody taht lightskin as igbo but when it comes to names esans are more related to bini adesua esan bini spell it adesuwa. esan osemudiamen bini osamuidiamen, esan oseremen bini osareme

Just here making baseless claims that can't be substantiated. Truth is that every ethnic group in Nigeria has their own unique but there are some areas that appears to may have had some admixture of different tribes. For Instance, you would mistake a lot of Akwa-Cross girls for Igbo. Especially , the Abians. Honestly, I thought Nancy Isime was Igbo and this is from a person who had lived in Bini for 5yrs and interacted with Adelaide , Akoko , Esan , Bini and Uhrobo.

The name Isime even sounded Igbo , Chimelu, Isimelu. But this is not to say they are Igbo but there may have been some intermarriage like the one that happened at Okrika.
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by osazuwa23: 8:36pm On Aug 06, 2020
it not baseless claims it the truth most esan names are similar to bin i when even adesua etomi first name is tolulope which has no meaning in igbo so please sit down. The esans that i met and celebs have grew up in yoruba land victor osimhen jude ighalo. you thought nancy sounded based off what she looked like. igbo and nigerians at large like to think that being light skin is being igbo bini esan, yoruba and etsako itesikri are all related to each other interms of having similar names
IDENNAA:

Just here making baseless claims that can't be substantiated. Truth is that every ethnic group in Nigeria has their own unique but there are some areas that appears to may have had some admixture of different tribes. For Instance, you would mistake a lot of Akwa-Cross girls for Igbo. Especially , the Abians. Honestly, I thought Nancy Isime was Igbo and this is from a person who had lived in Bini for 5yrs and interacted with Adelaide , Akoko , Esan , Bini and Uhrobo.

The name Isime even sounded Igbo , Chimelu, Isimelu. But this is not to say they are Igbo but there may have been some intermarriage like the one that happened at Okrika.
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by RedboneSmith(m): 10:34pm On Aug 06, 2020
Stop this madness. Igbo people don't claim Esan people. Shut the Bleep up and stop dragging Igbo people into what they know nothing about.

Apart from Igbo people living in Edo State, how many Igbo people are even aware than an ethnic group called Esan exist let alone claim them?

1 Like

Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by iObEy(m): 2:43am On Aug 07, 2020
Monkeydeychop:
Please for the last time, esan people of edo state are not Igbo nor are they related to Igbo. Go and read their history, the Esans were chiefs of the Benin empire who fled due to the tyranny of the oba. Just like the Afemai, and etsako people. We were eventually reunited with the oba and he gave the Chiefs titles like onojie. Esan people are bini people but we're seen as a different tribe for some weird reason I don't know of.
Esan people answer names like omoye, oyegun, omosede, adesuwa etc. esan gods are osun(god of medicine), olokun(god of the sea), ayelala (wicked deity I believe) ogun(god of iron and war) and esu(trickster god)

There are people called aniomas who are Igbo settler tribes in edo state. They've adopted edo names and are trying to annex themselves into edo history. They are not descendants of the Benin empire or indigenous to the state.
Not all Esans are fair skinned, few are. Igbos think they're the only ones who are fair skinned which means Esans must have Igbo blood. This is a stupid lie I hear them say.
No offence to igbos but please just stop. We edo's are working towards uniting ourselves. If there's any tribe edo's can even be related to it's the Yoruba's. not igbos.
Esans don't answer names like chinyere or Nkechi. Any edo person you see answering Igbo names are Igbo people. Our Chiefs are called onojie infact in uromi our king is called "OJUROMI" not igwe. In owan their king is "ElaWure" not igwe.

Chikena!
My God!!! Igbos wetin na U want to claim everybody? Where Igbo migrate from now? undecided
Re: Esan People Are Not Igbo! by nextdoor84(m): 12:48am On Aug 08, 2020
An average African has got no respect whatsoever for history and anthropology! They can even sell their history for a pot of porridge. How can you justify a tribe like Isoko that's obviously Urhobo claiming they no longer identify as such? No wonder Africa has got numerous languages with nothing to show for it other than resentment and wars. If the yorubas were to be in Igbo's position as it were (lost a war), by now, the Ijebus, Egbas and Ijesha/Ekiti would all be claiming different ethnic nationalities just to get along. When you support this tiny groups propping up as different ethnic nationalities just because it helps to weaken your supposed enemy remember same can happen to yours too. Call a spade a spade!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BREAKING: Court Issues Warrant Against Top Yoruba Monarch / What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? / Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.