Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,598 members, 7,955,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:15 PM

Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic (16365 Views)

It's Better To Be An Atheist Than A Nigerian Christian Or Muslim - Man Says / It’s Better To Be Atheist Than Hypocritical Christian — Pope Francis / Better To Be An Atheist Than A Hypocritical Christian- Pope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by hucienda: 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2017
Left-wing and leftist folks are gonna love this pope.
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Handsomecole(m): 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2017
His Holiness, when he speaks the world hears. Proudly Roman Catholic.
#IAmCatholicIPracticeWhatIPreach
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by dhamstar(m): 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2017
ok
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by sorom4: 1:46pm On Feb 26, 2017
Long Live the Pope
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by clerkent(m): 1:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
that's right sha but I can't be an atheist
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Opakan2: 1:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
darfay:

Afonja what has thou to do with Christ is oduduwa the fallen angel secretary to the devil on ewedu matters no longer your father?

LMAO grin

where did you get your story from? Enugu-Onitsha junk press I guess
We have Heavenly features doesn't mean we fell from the sky. Ask for the real version and I'll gladly tell you
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Nobody: 1:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
2dugged:
In fact, it's better no to go to church than to be a religious hypocrite
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by akinszz: 1:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
Opakan2:
Ipob flat-screens shey una don hear?

you can't be hate filled hypocrites and still claim to be catholics
the message is for all Christians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Empredboy(m): 1:52pm On Feb 26, 2017
fulfillment2020:
Pope Francis, my best pope after John Paul II. May your reigning days be long. Amen.
how many popes have you experienced apart from Pope Benedict 16?
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Taqsit(f): 1:53pm On Feb 26, 2017
Correct talk.

check my signature
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by effty(m): 1:53pm On Feb 26, 2017
Catholicism is not Christianity.
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by ikp120(m): 1:54pm On Feb 26, 2017
somehowpenis:
Since this pope took over I don't even understand Catholic Church again, this pope is just not like others before him, he seems to be a pope of the world first before the Catholic Church

Because he is not a hypocrite like most of you wey dey flock church every Sunday?

What he said is one of the reasons why me no dey go church. Sunday to me is just another work free day. cry

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Opakan2: 1:55pm On Feb 26, 2017
pussyAvenger:
grin u don start . b na u start am oo

They are my people.

If I no find their trouble who will? lol
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Empredboy(m): 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2017
darfay:
Oga Pope you are just a man like me and not the Holy Spirit so na your opinion be that
but you can follow what is written in the Bible? These too are people's opinions too. What paul said to the people of Romans should also be his opinion. Just as pope said too.
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Empredboy(m): 1:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
somehowpenis:
Since this pope took over I don't even understand Catholic Church again, this pope is just not like others before him, he seems to be a pope of the world first before the Catholic Church
that was how the Pharisees and sadducees didn't understand Jesus. It's expected

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Talkwell: 1:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
JustinSlayer69:
Hope fornicators and adulterers have heard him well angry

Religion is so full of contradiction.

You are expected to believe in a Life after Death, yet nobody has died & come back ( with hard evidence, not claims)

And ... Judgement Day is always near. No one can say confidently when it is. That's rather convenient

I practice as well... but the whole thing just seems a scam at times grin

The Bible is filled with interpolation by bias interpreters.

that's why we're always contradict ourselves
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Talkwell: 2:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
ikp120:

Because he is not a hypocrite like most of you wey dey flock church every Sunday?

What he said is one of the reasons why me no dey go church. Sunday to me is just another work free day.cry

I've been considering staying at home on Sundays and praying than going to church
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by debbie(f): 2:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
Before we all conclude...kindly check the video of what pope actually said.... we have useless media outlets,who are out to sell their news just to make money

https://web.facebook.com/CatholicNewsAgency/?hc_ref=SEARCH

I pity us....Salc,syncan,italo,jnrbayano,ubenedictus,woky,marxxx,.
I will advice we start searching for truthful information,verify them before we accept it.I have come across several online media houses that have published several FALSE news and we just swallow it like that......

It didnt start today....but i hope we will live by the standards of the bible.

maranatha

5 Likes

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by jayriginal: 2:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
"How many times have we all heard people say ‘if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist’.”

Those were the words of the pope (according to the link) and not the words in the headline

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2017
plaetton:
Thank you Papi for the endorsement.
You understand us very well.
Make no mistake there is difference between character and believe in God.

Albeit your believe in the Almighty should make you live a better life and that is when you can be termed Christ like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by ohasoup9(m): 2:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Atheists twisted this message to suit them.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by gud4dbest(m): 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
JustinSlayer69:
Hope fornicators and adulterers have heard him well angry

Religion is so full of contradiction.

You are expected to believe in a Life after Death, yet nobody has died & come back ( with hard evidence, not claims)

And ... Judgement Day is always near. No one can say confidently when it is. That's rather convenient

I practice as well... but the whole thing just seems a scam at times grin

I laugh...You said d truth but u seem not 2 admit it;religion is full of contradictions and it will always be. Av u for once encountered life that Jesus gives?
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by achieverme(m): 2:06pm On Feb 26, 2017
Speedyconnect5:
Are u sure he said that. I have seen a lot of misrepresentations with that man

But is it bit true? Is it not better to be a satanic person than pretend to be a Christian?
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by mustymatic(m): 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2017
bumi10:

In journalism, there is what is called descriptive journalism. It simply means for instance: If some says to his wife, "if infidelity, adultery and fetishness do not make you restless, you will rest in peace some day".

A journalist can interpret and re-write the whole thing or pick some out of it and he/she wont be wrong if he says this: Mr. A said his wife is an infidel, an adulterer and a fetish person.

that is descriptive journalism
What are you saying? Is it because it is the pope now you analise
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by achieverme(m): 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2017
plaetton:
Thank you Papi for the endorsement.
You understand us very well.

If you have any sense at all, you will understand better. He is trying to tell you that it is better to be an unbeliever than pretend to be a Christian
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by monex(m): 2:14pm On Feb 26, 2017
jayriginal:
"How many times have we all heard people say ‘if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist’.”

Those were the words of the pope (according to the link) and not the words in the headline
Well done bro. I was waiting to see the first to notice (and quote this).

the Pope is passing the message attributed to St. Francis "Preach the gospel always, and if necessary, use words". A message that calls us to live like Christ and bear fruits.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by achieverme(m): 2:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
DollarAngel:
The Holy Father can't take you to heaven but can only guide you, in accordance to the holy book, so for those that are always on guard to hear from the Liberal Pope continue. The Bible which is the word of God, is your manual to make it to heaven and not all what your pastors or priest says, bulid a relationship with God more than you build with your pastor or priest

What he said is true. It is better not to be born than live and die in sin. It is better you live in camp of Satan than pretend to be a Christian. The message is simple and straightforward.
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by elampiro(m): 2:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
somehowpenis:

You are right to an extent. But this time he was misquoted. I saw the video. You may also read it yourself from the Vatican radio English website.
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by tete7000(m): 2:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
In a summary all he was saying is: 'If you claim to be a catholic, practise your faith, else be an atheist; let us know you don't believe in God'. What is the essence of professing a faith in God when you live like those who don't have God. If an atheist does what you do, we can at least excuse him and say maybe its because his knowledge of God is perverted.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by achieverme(m): 2:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
somehowpenis:

How does that statement relate with your comment? How come that simple statement is too difficult for you to understand? He simply said it is better for you to declare to the world that you belong to Satan than for you to pretend that you are a Christian. Looks like the internet has killed some people's brains and sense of reasoning.
Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by elampiro(m): 2:27pm On Feb 26, 2017

No, Pope Francis Did NOT Say It’s Better to Be an Atheist Than a Bad Catholic

23/02/2017

Don’t believe the headlines!

Have you heard the news that Pope Francis preached it was better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic? It’s in the headlines from Reuters, CNN, The Guardian, and many others.

There’s only one problem: that is not what he said. They’re all wrong.

From Vatican Radio itself, here is what Pope Francis actually said, in context:

“But what is scandal? Scandal is saying one thing and doing another; it is a double life, a double life. A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money…’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others.

“How many times have we heard – all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere – ‘but to be a Catholic like that, it’s better to be an atheist.’ It is that, scandal. You destroy. You beat down. And this happens every day, it’s enough to see the news on TV, or to read the papers. In the papers there are so many scandals, and there is also the great publicity of the scandals. And with the scandals there is destruction.”

You see that he is not saying that it’s better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic. Rather, he is saying that this is something other people say when confronted with hypocritical Catholics.

In Catholic theology, “scandal” is any sin that hurts another person spiritually. The pontiff is saying that when Catholics are hypocrites, it causes scandal, and makes people think they shouldn’t be Catholic (which is bad for them spiritually).

This is of course true and is a completely uncontroversial thing to point out.

Now that you know what the Holy Father really said: Don’t be a hypocrite! Live your faith!
https://churchpop.com/2017/02/23/no-pope-francis-did-not-say-its-better-to-be-an-atheist-than-a-bad-catholic/

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic by zedman1(m): 2:28pm On Feb 26, 2017
effty:
Catholicism is not Christianity.
Until 1517 it was the only form of Christianity, perhaps all those who lived and died before Luther are in hell because they "weren't chistians"? I'm sure this statement would have made sense to you but it doesn't cos it's coming from a Catholic, the Pope, No? .... Open your mind.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

16 Terrible Lies Of The Jehovah Witnesses (and Who Jws Are) / PHOTO: Image Of An Angel Appears In The Clouds In South Africa. / Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.