Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) (41252 Views)

Passengers At Abuja Airport Sleep Under Turkish Airline Plane / Fatima Abba-Gwadabe The First Commercial Pilot In Kano / Protesting Passengers Block Arik Air Flight At Abuja Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 11:01pm On Dec 11, 2009
A passage where security activities will take place. Hand luggages will be searched here.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 11:03pm On Dec 11, 2009
Another section of the Departure Hall.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 11:04pm On Dec 11, 2009
Another view

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 11:06pm On Dec 11, 2009
In actual fact, this is the passage to where they will board the aircraft.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Enjoyment1(f): 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2009
If the reason why this airport is established is fully utilised, then, the economy of that state, will be affected positively. Amongst the benefit is that, jobs will be created directly or indirectly. It will also cut cost for aircraft maintenance in Nigeria, and generate revenue for the state, and country at large. Let us sideline the name "international", but lets believe it will not be another Akure Airport, or Ilorin and many others in the country.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Enjoyment1(f): 12:01am On Dec 12, 2009
Meanwhile, airport projects are now being used as political tools to score cheap points. I learnt Anambra too wants to have their own airport. Ogun is warming up with an International Cargo Airport, Ekiti does not want to be left up. Lagos is preparing to start work on Lekki airport, and the question now is, how many of these airports are really necessary?
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:16am On Dec 12, 2009
These are some passengers in a bus being conveyed to the aircraft at Abuja airport.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:17am On Dec 12, 2009
Passengers queuing up to board the Boeing 737 (700 series)

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:19am On Dec 12, 2009
Passengers still trying to gain access to the aircraft

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:22am On Dec 12, 2009
The particular aircraft

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:25am On Dec 12, 2009
Passengers boarding.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:27am On Dec 12, 2009
Passengers trying to find their seats.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:28am On Dec 12, 2009
View of the airport from the aircraft.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:29am On Dec 12, 2009
That is International wing of Abuja airport.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:30am On Dec 12, 2009
Another view.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:32am On Dec 12, 2009
The wing of the aircraft.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:34am On Dec 12, 2009
Arik Air staff educating the passengers at the emergency exit, what to do, in case of emergency.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:36am On Dec 12, 2009
The staff doing thesame thing at the other side of the aircraft.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:37am On Dec 12, 2009
The rear of the aircraft.

Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 12:41am On Dec 12, 2009
The flight was really full of fun. People celebrated and clapped as the aircraft taxied.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by THEAMAKA1: 3:29am On Dec 12, 2009
really nice pics. airport is looking good.
ahhhhhh. . .  cool
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 2:57pm On Dec 12, 2009
The airport is really looking good. Infact, I was reliably informed that, the main terminus has not been built. The area they are using is the VIP section of the airport, which is still under construction.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by PapaBrowne(m): 5:09pm On Dec 12, 2009
I heard this airport cost somewhere in the region of 300+ million USD. Doesn't seem worth the cost to me.
Delta state is building one in ASABA  that is pretty good and it is costing just 40 million USD.

Nice airports though. Now there will be 8 Airports in the Niger Delta. Funnily majority of them are viable.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by babapupa: 5:50pm On Dec 12, 2009
The Airport looks nice. I wont pay 300 million dollars for it though, I think they overpaid somebody.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by paddylo1(m): 8:18pm On Dec 12, 2009
The Airport looks nice. I wont pay 300 million dollars for it though, I think they overpaid [/b]somebody.

[b]i dont think so. . .people dont know that the major expense in constucting airports is usually the runways not the structures. . .

runways cost a lot of dough. . .plus i heard this one can take the largest aircrafts in the world

i think they need it cause of ALSCON,oil production in eket and so on

nice airport. . .
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Oboma1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 12, 2009
babapupa:

The Airport looks nice. I wont pay 300 million dollars for it though, I think they overpaid somebody.

I think I will agree with paddy_lo. Airport projects are very expensive. The total cost of building a run of that standard, is breath-taking. I will never exempt corruption in the course of it, but I will say, it is pretty expensive. A typical example is the Lagos local run-way. Though it was ridiculed with inflated cost, but the cost of resurfacing it was just too much, that the government had to participate. Corruption assisted it, by making the project run for almost two years. Till date, the runway, does not have light for night flights. That is what corruption and embezzlement can cause, and no one is saving anything about it, until something happens, then we will remember to ask questions. Why is the lighting delayed? What if there is a problem on the international wing runway, what happens to the whole airport.

Back to Akwa-Ibom airport. The building is not even the main terminus. The real terminus is very close to the temporary one, which is under construction. That building is going to be used for the VIPs. If you look at the number of seats there, you will know, it is indeed not for the kind of airport they are projecting it to be. The main terminus is a very big house that is really going to be astonishing, if the real plan is not tempered with.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Otobroto(f): 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2009
Oboma1:

I think I will agree with paddy_lo. Airport projects are very expensive. The total cost of building a run of that standard, is breath-taking. I will never exempt corruption in the course of it, but I will say, it is pretty expensive. A typical example is the Lagos local run-way. Though it was ridiculed with inflated cost, but the cost of resurfacing it was just too much, that the government had to participate. Corruption assisted it, by making the project run for almost two years. Till date, the runway, does not have light for night flights. That is what corruption and embezzlement can cause, and no one is saving anything about it, until something happens, then we will remember to ask questions. Why is the lighting delayed? What if there is a problem on the international wing runway, what happens to the whole airport.

Back to Akwa-Ibom airport. The building is not even the main terminus. The real terminus is very close to the temporary one, which is under construction. That building is going to be used for the VIPs. If you look at the number of seats there, you will know, it is indeed not for the kind of airport they are projecting it to be. The main terminus is a very big house that is really going to be astonishing, if the real plan is not tempered with.

One thing baffles me here. Why will an international airport like Muritala Mohammed International airport, operate a runway without lighting system. What kind of nation is this? When an aircraft or something happens because of it, then, stupid questions will then be asked!. Then, useless committees will spring up. Allegations and counter allegations will rear her ugly heads. This is very bad.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by Otobroto(f): 9:59pm On Dec 12, 2009
PapaBrowne:

I heard this airport cost somewhere in the region of 300+ million USD. Doesn't seem worth the cost to me.
Delta state is building one in ASABA  that is pretty good and it is costing just 40 million USD.

Nice airports though. Now there will be 8 Airports in the Niger Delta. Funnily majority of them are viable.

Are you sure there will be 8 airports in Niger Delta?
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by selingel: 10:04pm On Dec 12, 2009
Oboma1:

The wing of the aircraft.

This brand of aircraft, is really new. In fact, if Nigerian Airways was still in existence, Arik Air would have sent them out of circulation. It doesn't mean that the airline is perfect, but they are focused!.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by PapaBrowne(m): 10:14pm On Dec 12, 2009
Otobroto:

Are you sure there will be 8 airports in Niger Delta?

Yep!!

Delta State has Warri and would be completing Asaba in the first quarter of next year.
Akwa Ibom now has one.
Benin has one.
Port Harcourt has 2. The international Airport and the Nigeria Airforce Airport(It was used during the temporary close down of the main airport in 2006/07).
Cross River has the Calabar Airport and the Bebi AIRSTRIP(Not exactly a a big airport but it has regular scheduled flights).

Interesting thing is that  Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar and Benin airports are amongst the most viable in the country. They are actually amongst the top 7 airports in the country. Lagos, Abuja and Kano are the remaining 3.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by selingel: 10:16pm On Dec 12, 2009
The airline was very viable, until corruption sunk it, with gross inefficiency from those gays that got political appointment from government. A lot of them are enjoying their loots without anyone one raising their eyebrows.

What baffles me here most is that, OBJ really wanted the airline to die a natural death. Now, a couple of staff are struggling to get their entitlement from the same government which was very fast in shutting down the airline, but extremely slow in paying their fathers! that worked in that company. The annoying amongst them is that, the same Nigerian Airways staff in London, were paid 25 years entitlement and that was all for them. When it got to the turn of the same staff in Nigeria, OBJ only approved 5 years. Is that not madness from a man that was so drunk with power?. Rightnow, these aged ones are praying Yar'adua lives longer as he promised to pay them the remaining years. Can I say, OBJ was a devil from the pir of HELL?.
Re: First Commercial Flight To Akwa-ibom From Abuja Airport (with Arik Air) by selingel: 10:18pm On Dec 12, 2009
PapaBrowne:

Yep!!

Delta State has Warri and would be completing Asaba in the first quarter of next year.
Akwa Ibom now has one.
Benin has one.
Port Harcourt has 2. The international Airport and the Nigeria Airforce Airport(It was used during the temporary close down of the main airport in 2006/07).
Cross River has the Calabar Airport and the Bebi AIRSTRIP(Not exactly a a big airport but it has regular scheduled flights).

Interesting thing is that Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar and Benin airports are amongst the most viable in the country. They are actually amongst the top 7 airports in the country. Lagos, Abuja and Kano are the remaining 3.

Yes, you are very correct here and I am not surprised that these airports are very viable in this country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Chief Denied Entry Into A Plane In Enugu Because Of His Traditional Attire / Woman Hijacks Commercial Bus From Lagos Driver (Video, Photo) / Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.