Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation (23616 Views)

Fun Time: Name That English Word You Totally Disagree With Its Spelling / Sheriff Muhammad Wins African Spelling Bee Champion Title (Photos) / 10 Arts And Acts You Should Know And Achieve In Your Teens And Twenties. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Feranchek(m): 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2017

It's no news anymore that almost ALL teens and youths have adapted to shorthand for typing with mobile phones. To make matters worse, despite the invention of corrections on most smartphones, we still prefer to use shorthand.

The annoying part of it is that, some of these shorthands have the same number of letters or even longer letters as the original words. Some use funky spellings instead.

Another thing I've noticed is that most of our youths and teens don't know when to use some certain words instead of the right ones cos they both sound alike. Example of these are:

''HAVE seen the books'' instead of '' I'VE seen the books''
''he has GIVING me the books'' instead of ''he has GIVEN me the books''
''BEEN a guy doesn't mean i can't have female close friends'' instead of ''BEING a guy doesn't mean i can't have female close friends''
''AM the owner of the car'' instead of ''I'M the owner of the car''
''ITS not mine'' instead of ''IT'S not mine''
''I think it's THERE own'' instead of ''I think it's THEIR own''
The list is quite much

Some don't even know that no matter where the letter comes in a sentence, 'I' is ALWAYS in caps!!

To make matters worse, they don't even know they're wrong about all these lil things!

Yes there are some abbreviations that makes sense like LOL, LMAO, HBD, and co. But bikonu, what is GGMB, good PM, good AM? Even IJN dey vex me sef grin

Most of our youths and teens can't even write with a laptop that doesn't have auto punctuation or correction. It's really that bad!

I'm the best in English language but I'm certain that I'm not bad either.

Yes English is not our mother tongue, but tell me who'll accept a pidgin-written application letter?

It's never too late to turn a new leaf.

Give yourself this task today: Type ALL your words in full and tell me how easy it was or how difficult. By doing this, you'll know how much in tune you still are with your spellings and punctuations.

I know I made some errors even while writing this cos I'm also prone to errors, but what's most important is the message.

NOTE : Little things count!!

Nairalanders, what you think?

[img]https://totallysocial.files./2011/10/il_570xn_64166824.jpg[/img]

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by nextprince: 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
OP, you have done a good job by highlighting some of these problems, but I'm afraid, you are also guilty of what you preach against.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by nextprince: 2:59pm On Feb 28, 2017
Feranchek:
It's no news anymore that almost ALL teens and youths have adapted to shorthand for typing with mobile phones. To make matters worse, despite the invention of corrections on most smarts phones, we still prefer to use shorthand.

The annoying part of it is that, most of these shorthands have the same number of letters or even longer letters as the original words. Some use funky spellings instead.

Another thing I've noticed is that most of our youths and teens don't know when to use some certain words instead of the right ones cos they both sound alike. Example of these are:

''BEEN a guy diesn't mean i can't have female close friends'' instead of ''BEING a guy diesn't mean i can't have female close friends''

The list is quite much

Some don't even know that no matter where the letter comes in a sentence, 'I' is ALWAYS in caps!!

To make matters worse, they don't even know they're wrong!

Most of our youths and teens can't even write with a laptop that doesn't have auto punctuation or correction. It's really that bad!

Yes English is not our mother tongue, buh tell me who'll accept a pidgin-written application letter?

give yourself this task today: Type ALL your words in full and tell me how easy it was or how difficult. By doing this, you'll know how much in tune you still are with your spellins and punctuations.

I know I made some errors even while writing this cos I'm also prone to errors, but what's most important is the message.

NOTE : Little things count!!!

Oga boss Lalasticlala, watin you think?

Emboldened & crossed for your notice.

10 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by greenmonk: 3:53pm On Feb 28, 2017
Feranchek:
It's no news anymore that almost ALL teens and youths have adapted to shorthand for typing with mobile phones. To make matters worse, despite the invention of corrections on most smartphones, we still prefer to use shorthand.

The annoying part of it is that, some of these shorthands have the same number of letters or even longer letters as the original words. Some use funky spellings instead.

''BEEN a guy doesn't mean i can't have female close friends'' instead of ''BEING a guy doesn't mean i can't have female close friends''
The list is quite much

To make matters worse, they don't even know they're wrong about all these lil things!

Yes there are

Yes English is not our mother tongue, but tell me who'll accept a pidgin-written application letter?

Give yourself this task today: Type ALL your words in full and tell me how easy it was or how difficult. By doing this, you'll know how much in tune you still are with your spellings and punctuations.

Oga boss Lalasticlala, watin you think?

Thank you very much. For those who have ear let them hear. They cannot write simple applications so they are waiting for connection and quota system.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Feranchek(m): 4:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
nextprince:

Emboldened & crossed for your notice.

Gratias. corrected. In 2baba's voice '' me sef I be human being oo'' grin

greenmonk:

Thank you very much. For those who have ear let them hear. They cannot write simple applications so they are waiting for connection and quota system.

Lol. Abi na....

OP, I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE BUT YOUR PICTURE ADDITIONS JUST MADE MY DAY!!! GOD BLESS YOU AND MAY YOUR CHILDREN NEVER FALL PREY TO THE WOES OF THIS CURRENT SOCIAL MEDIA GENERATION.

6 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by nextprince: 4:30pm On Feb 28, 2017
Feranchek:

Gratias. corrected. In 2baba's voice '' me sef I be human being oo'' grin

Lol. Abi na....

Correct guy. I salute your humility.

14 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by lonelydora: 4:41pm On Feb 28, 2017
It's terrible bro.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Richie0974: 4:41pm On Feb 28, 2017
It's so bad these days that even when you chat with peers using the right punctuation and spellings, they start seeing you as a novice and as someone who doesn't know what's trending.

11 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 28, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by slawomir: 4:43pm On Feb 28, 2017
although guys also do this but
Ninety percent of our girls are guilty of this.
abbreviation of words and short hand is one thing I hate

3 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Fairgodwin(m): 4:43pm On Feb 28, 2017
It irritates me so much when I see people - not just teens, even adults too - using these following words interchangeably.

LOOSE instead of LOSE
BEEN instead of BEING
TOO instead of TO (my cousin does this a lot).
GIVING in place of GIVEN
AM instead of I'M or I AM
I'M I instead of AM I

10 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by femi4: 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
SMH for them. I pity this generation
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by coldsummer: 4:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
My young cousin writes these silly things when chatting with me. Tried correcting her a couple times but she is hell bent on continuing with these ridiculous pattern of writing.

I STOPPED CHATTING WITH HER

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by addikt(m): 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2017
ThanKS so much for this , our people are lost especially while using " I'M and AM.

I correct people a lot about that.

3 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by hedonistic: 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
No be small thing.

For as long as I can remember, I only use abbreviations in text messages (or tweets) where character restrictions apply.

Unrestrained usage of all these yeye 'pls', 'thx', 'n" and the rest has a damaging effect on one's IQ.

3 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Costello559(m): 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
Well, the truth is dat to dy type the full spelns dy tire me... Also, des short words add fun nd savs tym... Lol.. Weda u like it or nt... We go still dy type in short form... Lmao...
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by real2fix(m): 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
all is well
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by otunbaf121: 4:48pm On Feb 28, 2017
social media is responsible
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by ekems2017(f): 4:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
This is one of the things that is making youths to fail their written interviews and exams. It's so deep into them that they write or unconsciously. To do away with this pls kindly learn how to write the complete words no matter how many hours it takes.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by luvlife007: 4:49pm On Feb 28, 2017
Issorit

4 Shares

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by tenmillion(m): 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2017
Its killing honestly..
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Fairgodwin(m): 4:52pm On Feb 28, 2017
tenmillion:
Its killing honestly..

This one too is one them, 'it's' not 'its'
They both represent different things please.

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Feranchek(m): 4:53pm On Feb 28, 2017
ekems2017:
This is one of the things that is making youths to fail their written interviews and exams. It's so deep into them that they write or unconsciously. To do away with this pls kindly learn how to write the complete words no matter how many hours it takes.

You're ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by AbusM(m): 4:53pm On Feb 28, 2017
It's really so terrible these days. So much so that even the so called graduates and some parents are making it look like some new versions of an application that everyone must update to. I have complained to alot of my friends and contacts to stop it. Most of them would argue and come up with different untenable reasons why they use it but then I have taken a very firm position over this very matter. Each time I read lines with such abbreviations in it ..I would simply unreservedly see writer as a lazy, fake, irresponsible, unresourceful , careless and classically unintelligent person who I would not have a serious business with. Some things we do give a description of who we are.

9 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by EduColombo(m): 4:54pm On Feb 28, 2017
The 'am' instead of *I'm or I am* is really getting out of hand..
Some don't even know when to put full stop or comma.
Many also don't proof read their sentences before sending a message.
A friend of mine just can't understand the fact that I type my sentences in full.
I believe laziness and indiscipline cause these..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Ranchhoddas: 4:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
Feranchek:

The list is quite much

Yes there are some abbreviations that makes sense like LOL, LMAO, HBD, and co. But bikonu, what is GGMB, good PM, good AM? Even IJN dey vex me sef grin

Nairalanders, what you think?

[img]https://totallysocial.files./2011/10/il_570xn_64166824.jpg[/img]
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Feranchek(m): 4:56pm On Feb 28, 2017
AbusM:
It's really so terrible these days. So much so that even the so called graduates and some parents are making it look like some new versions of an application that everyone must update to. I have complained to alot of my friends and contacts to stop it. Most of them would argue and come up with different untenable reasons why they use it but then I have taken a very firm position over this very matter. Each time I read lines with such abbreviations in it ..I would simply unreservedly see writer as a lazy, fake, irresponsible, unresourceful , careless and classically unintelligent person who I would not have a serious business with. Some things we do give a description of who we are.

You just nailed it!!
EduColombo:
The 'am' instead of *I'm or I am* is really getting out of hand..
Some don't even know when to put full stop or comma.
Many also don't proof read their sentences before sending a message.
A friend of mine just can't understand the fact that I type my sentences in full.
I believe laziness and indiscipline cause these..

this one plenty no be small!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Lanretoye(m): 4:59pm On Feb 28, 2017
while we were sleeping,someone somewhere woke and told us this is the way to spell these words.
Now that we are awake,we decided to spell words to suit our communication...we are yet to get a name for our new language.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
Everybody don dy criticize now, as if they are not guilty of it..

Odiegwu!!
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Jodha(f): 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2017
Hypocrites eer'where...

Nairaland professors..

Smh..
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Ijaya123: 5:02pm On Feb 28, 2017
Fairgodwin:

This one too is one them, 'it's' not 'its'
They both represent different things please.

Wrong sir. 'It is' is the correct use, not it's.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Calabar Investigates Lecturers Who ‘Conduct Exams In Hotels’ / Dauda Mohammed Is Dead (NANS Former President) / I Wrote UTME 12 Times Before Gaining Admission - OAU Fresher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.