Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,356 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation (23622 Views)

Fun Time: Name That English Word You Totally Disagree With Its Spelling / Sheriff Muhammad Wins African Spelling Bee Champion Title (Photos) / 10 Arts And Acts You Should Know And Achieve In Your Teens And Twenties. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by elhafeez(m): 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
I had the same issue with this undergraduate I was dating one time. I told her to stop using abbreviation when we chat but she wouldn't stop. I told her it will affect her in school but she wouldn't stop. I hated it so much. when I tire I free her o instead of writing "just" she will rise "jex" or "anything" she will write "anyfin".

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Richy4(m): 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
It's really sad...I thought I was the only old minded person using something like laptop or smart-phone.....The other day some one was writhing mother in law....she just wrote MIL..I didn't understand what she meant.... I have to waste my precious time researching just to grab the abbreviation sad.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Fairgodwin(m): 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
Ijaya123:

Wrong sir. 'It is' is the correct use, not it's.
Sir, you're right but avoidably wrong too.
'it's' is the correct short form of 'it is' and that's what I was trying to point out to him.

6 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by daniella04: 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2017
Not only teenagers even matured adults, it's a big turn off for me when chatting with a guy and he uses abbreviation or shorthand as they want to call it to chat.
I will just delete you because I don't want such things to rub off on me. You go to professional exams and someone is asking if there and their means the same thing undecided

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2017
I think the main reason is actually the pronunciation/accent and not necessarily the mobile phone use. I know a lot of Americans that make the mistake of using 'should of' instead of 'should have' because in the American accent they sound similar. Or the classic "your" and "you're" mixup.

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by 9jabox(m): 5:08pm On Feb 28, 2017
K
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by masterP042(m): 5:17pm On Feb 28, 2017
Ijaya123:

Wrong sir. 'It is' is the correct use, not it's.
Mr teacher, they both mean the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by linearity: 5:19pm On Feb 28, 2017
I don't see the doom or damages you so talked about.

I think this is ingenuity born out of necessity to conserve time, space and money. Remember that, all these came to prominence with the advert of cell phones/SMS, where you are forced to pass-on a complete events just with 160 characters, plus sending a second SMS is costly.

We all saw it during the days of telex, but too many people did not notice it then, because telex were not as prevalent as cell phones are today.

Also, the words been abbreviated are commonly used words with no complex structures to them, so the concern of them been missspelled by someone who by their educational standards would have known better is over blown.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2017
KIDS OR GROWN UP ADULT ON NL grin grin grin grin
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Samadict(f): 5:21pm On Feb 28, 2017
This issue of abbreviations have gone too far and it's disheartening. I was 'addicted' to this bad habit years ago until a fellow Nairalander corrected me while chatting via whatsapp. I thought about the correction and realised how much those abbreviations had almost ruined my spellings. I stopped since then. It is also our responsibility to correct those doing it. I told my younger ones not to abbreviate when chatting with me if they want a response. And for my friends, I tell them jokingly. God help us all.

5 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by fpeter(f): 5:27pm On Feb 28, 2017
what is "gtg and bbtl"
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by jericco1(m): 5:28pm On Feb 28, 2017
The use of abbreviation is a total turn off for. I recall having issues when attempting essays back then in secondary school, imagine I found myself abbreviating in an exam. It affected me and I had poor grades. Since then I stopped unnecessary abreviations.

3 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Abumighty(m): 5:30pm On Feb 28, 2017
Ranchhoddas post=54144161][/quote]
Where are your friends ? Raju and Farhan

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by jashar(f): 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2017
very true
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by ITbomb(m): 5:48pm On Feb 28, 2017
The most annoying one is yhu instead of you.
I mean it is not shorthand, it's the same number of letters

5 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Ranchhoddas: 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2017
They are in Delhi.
Abumighty:
Ranchhoddas post=54144161]
Where are your friends ? Raju and Farhan

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by MizTyna(f): 5:56pm On Feb 28, 2017
This is why I don't reply most messages on social media. You can't type like an slowpoke and expect me to answer you.

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by bonna4u(m): 5:57pm On Feb 28, 2017
Fairgodwin:
It irritates me so much when I see people - not just teens, even adults too - using these following words interchangeably.

LOOSE instead of LOSE
BEEN instead of BEING
TOO instead of TO (my cousin does this a lot).
GIVING in place of GIVEN
AM instead of I'M or I AM
I'M I instead of AM I
The bolded is wrong but I have seen worse. 'Are my instead of am I.'

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 28, 2017
Richie0974:
It's so bad these days that even when you chat with peers using the right punctiatiojs and spellings, they start seeing you as a novice and as someone who doesn't know what's trending.

Exactly, my friends have mocked me for typing textbookishly while texting, but I never gave in to them. I even find it easier typing correctly ( thanks to auto correct) than scouring my keypad for abbreviations that look disgusting to read, and worse still do not represent who I am.

4 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Fairgodwin(m): 6:01pm On Feb 28, 2017
bonna4u:

The bolded is wrong but I have seen worse. 'Are my instead of am I.'

That's what I'm saying sir. Very wrong and yes, I have seen people using 'are my' as well, even my cousins are guilty of it.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by holuwatobhy(m): 6:05pm On Feb 28, 2017
Fairgodwin:
This one too is one them, 'it's' not 'its' They both represent different things please.
Honestly,i don't know the difference between both..help me bro.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by holuwatobhy(m): 6:05pm On Feb 28, 2017
Fairgodwin:
This one too is one them, 'it's' not 'its' They both represent different things please.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by bonna4u(m): 6:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
holuwatobhy:

Let me show you the difference by their usage.
E.g; It's/It is my book.
For 'its'; The bird fell from the sky because the stone broke its wings.

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by bizybrain1: 6:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
The use of phones has not helped Nigeria Students
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Talius(m): 6:16pm On Feb 28, 2017
Feranchek:

It's no news anymore that almost ALL teens and youths have adapted to shorthand for typing with mobile phones. To make matters worse, despite the invention of corrections on most smartphones, we still prefer to use shorthand.

God bless you OP

The annoying part of it is that, some of these shorthands have the same number of letters or even longer letters as the original words. Some use funky spellings instead.

Another thing I've noticed is that most of our youths and teens don't know when to use some certain words instead of the right ones cos they both sound alike. Example of these are:

''HAVE seen the books'' instead of '' I'VE seen the books''
''he has GIVING me the books'' instead of ''he has GIVEN me the books''
''BEEN a guy doesn't mean i can't have female close friends'' instead of ''BEING a guy doesn't mean i can't have female close friends''
''AM the owner of the car'' instead of ''I'M the owner of the car''
''ITS not mine'' instead of ''IT'S not mine''
''I think it's THERE own'' instead of ''I think it's THEIR own''
The list is quite much

Some don't even know that no matter where the letter comes in a sentence, 'I' is ALWAYS in caps!!

To make matters worse, they don't even know they're wrong about all these lil things!

Yes there are some abbreviations that makes sense like LOL, LMAO, HBD, and co. But bikonu, what is GGMB, good PM, good AM? Even IJN dey vex me sef grin

Most of our youths and teens can't even write with a laptop that doesn't have auto punctuation or correction. It's really that bad!

I'm the best in English language but I'm certain that I'm not bad either.

Yes English is not our mother tongue, but tell me who'll accept a pidgin-written application letter?

It's never too late to turn a new leaf.

Give yourself this task today: Type ALL your words in full and tell me how easy it was or how difficult. By doing this, you'll know how much in tune you still are with your spellings and punctuations.

I know I made some errors even while writing this cos I'm also prone to errors, but what's most important is the message.

NOTE : Little things count!!

Nairalanders, what you think?

[img]https://totallysocial.files./2011/10/il_570xn_64166824.jpg[/img]
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 28, 2017
Na the op they confuse us self
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by abbeyty(m): 6:24pm On Feb 28, 2017
This thing is not just Nigeria youths problem is all over the world.

1 Like

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by luscioustrish(f): 6:25pm On Feb 28, 2017
The ones I hate most are wullnp,hbd,wyd and the ever confusing 'I'm with 'am'.

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Odunharry(m): 6:25pm On Feb 28, 2017
coldsummer:
My young cousin writes these silly things when chatting with me. Tried correcting her a couple times but she is hell bent on continuing with these ridiculous pattern of writing.

I STOPPED CHATTING WITH HER
I like this..

2 Likes

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Abumighty(m): 6:39pm On Feb 28, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
They are in Delhi.
extend my greetings pls
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by taurustm(m): 6:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
We still need to be well educated, both kids and adults, I think. You rarely see an ofay using such styles even when they are chatting on social medias.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2018/2019 Lasu Admission Guide Thread / I Wrote UTME 12 Times Before Gaining Admission - OAU Fresher / ASUU Strike: What Led To The Walkout Of The Union Members During The Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.