Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,045 members, 7,828,678 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation (23645 Views)

Fun Time: Name That English Word You Totally Disagree With Its Spelling / Sheriff Muhammad Wins African Spelling Bee Champion Title (Photos) / 10 Arts And Acts You Should Know And Achieve In Your Teens And Twenties. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by ntrukpum(m): 6:57pm On Feb 28, 2017
but bikonu... meaning what?
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Ranchhoddas: 7:01pm On Feb 28, 2017
Count on it!
Abumighty:
extend my greetings pls
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by bestspoke: 7:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
Ijaya123:

Wrong sir. 'It is' is the correct use, not it's.
Are you sure?
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Mustiboy(m): 7:25pm On Feb 28, 2017
linearity:
I don't see the doom or damages you so talked about.

I think this is ingenuity born out of necessity to conserve time, space and money. Remember that, all these came to prominence with the advert of cell phones/SMS, where you are forced to pass-on a complete events just with 160 characters, plus sending a second SMS is costly.

We all saw it during the days of telex, but too many people did not notice it then, because telex were not as prevalent as cell phones are today.

Also, the words been abbreviated are commonly used words with no complex structures to them, so the concern of them {{{been}}} missspelled by someone who by their educational standards would have known better is over blown.
oga johnny, it's 'being' not 'been'.
Take note
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by linearity: 7:38pm On Feb 28, 2017
Mustiboy:
oga johnny, it's 'being' not 'been'.
Take note

Thanks my able Secretary, when you finish your current assignment; make sure to proof read and correct, spelling or syntax or grammatical errors in my other posts.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Mustiboy(m): 7:44pm On Feb 28, 2017
linearity:

Thanks my able Secretary, when you finish your current assignment; make sure to proof read and correct, spelling or syntax or grammatical errors in my other posts.
alright, sir. I will never stop saving your ass from prospective embarrassments.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by depair: 7:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by BreezyRita(f): 10:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
ntrukpum:
but bikonu... meaning what?
Meaning - But please smiley
And before you go after the op, he talked abut tweaking words, not about writing vernacular.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Mujtahida: 10:16pm On Feb 28, 2017
The easiest way to dumb down a people is to corrupt their language. Remember Babel? I used to cut up and mutilate words but one day about five years ago I told myself 'Guy you ain't good with numbers but with words I can dot incredible things. Why don't you respect and treasure them'. And from that day till date I stopped mutilating words-those precious gems that define all of reality. In the beginning was the Word!!!
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by mayortm001(m): 11:13pm On Feb 28, 2017
ekems2017:
This is one of the things that is making youths to fail their written interviews and exams. It's so deep into them that they write or unconsciously. To do away with this pls kindly learn how to write the complete words no matter how many hours it takes.
Point of correction, it's "PLEASE not PLS".
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by oblak00(m): 11:19pm On Feb 28, 2017
Costello559:
Well, the truth is dat to dy type the full spelns dy tire me... Also, des short words add fun nd savs tym... Lol.. Weda u like it or nt... We go still dy type in short form... Lmao...
Why can't you just play your role in bringing this to an end? Why must you see it as a normal thing and choice just because you have control over what you type? I appreciate people who write correctly, putting the necessary punctuation and everything that accompanies it. It's not late. You can start now.
Re: How Our Teens And Youths Are Damaging Their Spelling Skills And Punctuation by Phunkyposh(f): 8:49am On Mar 01, 2017
Stopping this takes a deliberate act. I was so used to this until i took the big decision. It was worth it.......i pulled out of the crowd cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNIBEN Students Protest Colleagues’ Death, Block Highway / I Wrote UTME 12 Times Before Gaining Admission - OAU Fresher / Coronaviris: UNIZIK Suspends Chinese Course, Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.