Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,772 members, 7,827,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

How A Website Goes Straight To Hell - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How A Website Goes Straight To Hell (1371 Views)

4 Blogging Sins That May Push You Into A Hell Of Failures - Mi Muba / $50 Cash Giveaway, Straight To Your Paypal Account / Set Record Straight: Pinkequity, Pinkbloomer, Deltavag, & Inspiredautos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by mavenbox: 6:29am On Dec 13, 2009
(c) www.oatmeal.com (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell)

grin grin grin

If you have ever been in this circumstance, say Aye-Aye!

Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by mavenbox: 6:30am On Dec 13, 2009
grin grin Hehehe

Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by mavenbox: 6:31am On Dec 13, 2009
until finally grin

Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by HC: 8:54am On Dec 13, 2009
Have you been reading my mind? i recently got into this type of mess.

Some clients are just sick.
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by Akebulan: 9:03am On Dec 13, 2009
too funny
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by WebMonk(m): 9:59am On Dec 13, 2009
Aye-Aye-Aye-Aye!!!
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by DualCore1: 10:58am On Dec 13, 2009
Clients need to go for enlightenment programs and workshops, if that's ever going to be possible.
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by WebMonk(m): 11:19am On Dec 13, 2009
@Dual Core:
I'm afraid that is up to us to do - considering the kind of mindset we'are dealing with. Clients hardly appreciate what we do - only God knows if they will even spare time on an enlightenment program.

Which is why I opened the "Web Project Client Series" thread. at least peeps that are looking for designers/developers might read that and be better informed.

@mavenbox : again, AYE!
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by yawatide(f): 12:47pm On Dec 13, 2009
he he. Is this what you should do, instead of going to church? cool

Make una visit smashing magazine dot com and:

1) search for "How To Identify and Deal With Different Types Of Clients , " and "How To Explain To Clients That They Are Wrong" and "why you shouldn't dump difficult clients"

Why haven't I posted actual URLs? Yep, you got it right? tongue
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by pcguru11(m): 4:25pm On Dec 13, 2009
The issue is client think Web design and photoshop are so much are alike click and click and it's done forgetting that the web designers are going to calculate the arrangement,fluid,color and positioning, anyday anytime i prefer focusing on php cuz web designing[visual] is far harder and time tasking than web development[programming/scripting],
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by DualCore1: 7:30pm On Dec 13, 2009
The way we even present our profession before them also adds up to this. Some just give our job off as some nice 'n' easy, we-will-make-it-look-however-you-want thingy.

We need to make clients realize that the whole thing is an engineering process (yes it is!) and thus has to follow due process not just some wishy-washy click-here-click-there-and-tada!! thing.
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by ogzille(m): 9:29pm On Dec 13, 2009
You are right bro
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by Afam(m): 11:15am On Dec 14, 2009
With time more and more people will understand why the customer is not always right and more importantly why you must choose your clients the same way companies choose their employees.

Things are surely getting better.
Re: How A Website Goes Straight To Hell by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:56am On Dec 17, 2009
This story looks the stuff small businesses do especially ones run by a startup CEO.

Bigger organizations have larger problems and create more mess of things. it takes the skill of a hypnotist, politician and magician to create a website for a large organization without getting into this kind of trap.

My personal experience is somewhat different.
1: Web design project is an initiative from the Marketing department or some other department that is concerned with the brand
2: IT department is given the project to handle in conjunction with marketing or PR department but IT takes over completely and this is where the problem starts for me in most projects.
3: IT understands that functionality is important and they put the branding on the back-burner explaining that what looks good in a brochure or magazine cannot be ported to the web (I don't believe so) The Brand people must have their cake even if it tastes sour and looks like dog poo. in the end, IT whittles down Branding/Marketing goals into a series of graphics and banners that must pop-up in the weirdest of places. by the time i am through. I do not want to put my name to the site credits.

But some clients have the benefit of a CEO or IT Director who is well traveled and reads often (especially about web stuff and how things should work and still look good). in all there is only one way to go with awareness and that is UP. e go better

(1) (Reply)

Reading Different Versions Of Excel Data (CSV,XLS,XLSX) With Phpexcel Library / Brand Developer Wanted For Web Interface Redesign / Learn How To Create A Blog Like Linda Ikeji's Own [Step By Step Tutorial]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.