Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? (3962 Views)

AI (alien Intelligence) And The Question Of God - How Atheist & Theist Are Right / A Nairalander Wisdom Nwedene's Outfit To Jehovah's Witnesses Convention In Enugu / "Buhari's Problem Is Spiritual" - Prophet Wisdom Nnamdi Ezeigwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 05, 2017
akintom:

LOL....
That hydra-entity is always here. He does that through chamelonic blend under different moniker.

It was the claim, of how he could do the yahweh gimmicks that gave damogul up.

if you were half as intelligent as you give yourself credit for you would have realised that I do not in any way have anything in common with the person whose moniker you assume to be mine.

I reason on a certain level and nairalanders here in the religion section who have conversed with me can attest to that.

I do however appreciate the fact that I am now giving you cause to constantly look behind you by assuming I am behind certain monikers. indeed the wicked flee when nothing pursues them.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by akintom(m): 12:50pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

You ehn, I will leave you both to it. But have you seen his view on the Op? Do you still stand your ground there's no difference?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by akintom(m): 12:51pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

You ehn, I will leave you both to it. But have you seen his view on the Op? Do you still stand your ground there's no difference?
You should have quoted me on my post.

And not on what a chamelonic coward thinks.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

Only the unwise would put intelligence and wisdom on the same pedestal.

wisdom sees into the future even while peeking at the past and sitting in the present.

wisdom looks at a whole picture and not in bits like a jig saw.

wisdom speeks from depths of knowledge beyond intelligence.

The intelligent just read to know and apply wrongly or rightly while the wise gather knowledge not for the sake of knowing alone but to stand aside and still look at the knowledge from an abstract position and also are not ruled by their knowledge but by their inner desire and purpose to ensure this knowledge is RIGHTLY entrepreted even when its to their disadvantage.

The wise are seen and stand out as wise because they apply knowledge from an "outside the box" position so ensure equity and fairness regardless of whose ox is gored.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
Pastafarian:
Bennyann, before I attend to the OP, I want some clarification

can you (in your own words) give me the meaning of the below words:

1. Intelligence

2. Wisdom

I said in your own words

The difference between intelligence and wisdom depends on how the person using those terms defines them! The question cannot be answered without reference to the subjective.

Like I said at a point in time I became confused of the meanings because of your people grin and I also realized people have different meanings for them maybe just to back up their points. That's why I asked if they are similar. So you were supposed to give your own definition but let me tell you mine.

Intelligence shows the degree of knowledge you've gained - what you've learnt, how much you understand them and if you can apply them to solve problems.

Wisdom is the ability to decide to use the best of the various knowledge you've gained, whether by experience or not to solve issues.

In other words, The ability to distinguish the knowledge that should be applied is wisdom. And this particular knowledge chosen would turn out to be for the greater good and whose long run effect would be positive, something good. It's about insight, discernment, ability to give a good judgment.

What do you think?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:06pm On Mar 05, 2017
akintom:

You should have quoted me on my post.

And not on what a chamelonic coward thinks.

Ok, I will do that. I apologize. But I can see you've really missed him. You were the first to pounce on him you know wink
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Pastafarian: 1:12pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

Like I said at a point in time I became confused of the meanings because of your people grin and I also realized people have different meanings for them maybe just to back up their points. That's why I asked if they are similar. So you were supposed to give your own definition but let me tell you mine.

Intelligence shows the degree of knowledge you've gained - what you've learnt, how much you understand them and if you can apply them to solve problems.

Wisdom is the ability to decide to use the best of the various knowledge you've gained, whether by experience or not to solve issues.

In other words, The ability to distinguish the knowledge that should be applied is wisdom. And this particular knowledge chosen would turn out to be for the greater good and whose long run effect would be positive, something good. It's about insight, discernment, ability to give a good judgment.

What do you think?

it seems to me that you're trying to say "Wisdom comes by experience" going by your definitions

do you agree?

okay let me explain to keep this discussion going, I'm here to learn too

there's a popular saying, "Intelligence tells you tomatoes are fruits, Wisdom tells you its not a good idea to use it in a fruit salad"

stay with me here, how else are you supposed to know its not good for fruit salad? by either...

1. putting it in fruit salad and getting bad result from it

2. being told by someone who has put it in fruit salad and got bad result from it

it seems wisdom comes "Strictly" by experience going by your definition
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 05, 2017
They can't exist exclusive of each other undecided
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:15pm On Mar 05, 2017
4everGod:

Only the unwise would put intelligence and wisdom on the same pedestal.

wisdom sees into the future even while peeking at the past and sitting in the present.

wisdom looks at a whole picture and not in bits like a jig saw.

wisdom speeks from depths of knowledge beyond intelligence.

The intelligent just read to know and apply wrongly or rightly while the wise gather knowledge not for the sake of knowing alone but to stand aside and still look at the knowledge from an abstract position and also are not ruled by their knowledge but by their inner desire and purpose to ensure this knowledge is RIGHTLY entrepreted even when its to their disadvantage.

The wise are seen and stand out as wise because they apply knowledge from an "outside the box" position so ensure equity and fairness regardless of whose ox is gored.

It seems someone is really going mad. Have you seen this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3664177/communication-god-vs-dogs-benefits#54283187?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
realmindz:

No ma, wisdom is acquired over time through past experiences. It takes intelligence to think critically, it takes wisdom to understand and apply past experiences and knowledge to present and also future predictions.

A dullard cannot think deep, a fool cannot learn.

Now I give a dimwit a book and say it is the book of life and everything in the book is the truth and nothing more, what do u expect?

He wont think and find how true it is even in the midst of obvious contradictions, that's being a fool because he has been fooled.

what if I tell you that you shall become wise once you worship my god? and you believe and do as I say.

Now do you see who the actual fool is?

A fool that has been fooled to see others who think and question them as fools

So what do you say when those with the same IQ make decisions but some particular persons among them always make the right decisions.

You may have the same degree of knowledge with someone but the ability to decide to apply which of the knowledge or not to apply any and which gives a long term positive results is wisdom.

There are illiterates who can handle their marriages properly while those that are literates can't. So what do you call the illiterates on this issue? Wise or intelligent?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

It seems someone is really going mad. Have you seen this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3664177/communication-god-vs-dogs-benefits#54283187?

My sister I choose threads I grace. Some threads which are being driven by deranged people need not be considered as worthy of attention.

That thread is a classic example of intelligence gone awry.

The topic was all I needed to read in order to know its content.

Putting that thread side by side with yours answers the intelligence vs wisdom question. The OP of that thread is not wise he however isnt intelligent either.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:27pm On Mar 05, 2017
orisa37:
The Three Sisters(Greek mythology) are, Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding. They are part of God's Names which must not be taken with Disrespect.
Intelligence is the "interlocutory linguistic that usually emanate from expanded explaining of any of the Three.

The English is too much for me jor. Please break it down down. Thank you.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Pastafarian: 1:43pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

I ain't gonna sing your praises

Intelligence made you post on that thread, it also made you post link to the thread here

Wisdom would've told you that you shouldn't attend to the thread at all

Wisdom also would've told you that you shouldn't post the link here cuz it'll only lead readers of this thread into clicking the link and checking the thread out, which gives more attention to the thread

no hard feelings

now back to our main discussion, I'm still awaiting your reply to my previous post

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by skeendyke: 1:48pm On Mar 05, 2017
BennyAnn, many thanks for the mention and I apologize for the delay in response. Hope you do understand. As regards your Op here's my take on the issue.

Of noteworthy are the facts that the seat of the Intelligence is the mind while the seat of Wisdom is the heart. There is so much to say on this matter that my opinion is only an attempt to scratch the surface of what constitutes the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

Intelligence, generally, is acquired skills set, knowledge, and information. The intelligent person stands out in the exhibition of his or her knowledge or their capacity to handle a task given their skills and information at their disposal. They are adept at decision making revolving around their sphere of activity. However, it is easily deduced from this facts that intelligence is limited in its scope of operation because there are very many areas of life and skills where plain intelligence falls short of such as bringing up children, dealing with critics, maintaining a good reputation, keeping the home, selecting friends, choosing a spouse, driving a vehicle in a particular state of mind, deciding in issues between parties outside one's area of specialization, and many many more and especially the acknowledgement of the unknown. Facts and Figures are the eyes of Intelligence with which it judges reality but then appearance is deceptive. This is another flaw of intelligence. As a result, it is easily deceived, manipulated, distorted. This is one explanation why a great number of intelligent people are clueless.

Wisdom, on the other hand, is a form of perception that goes beyond the limited mental scope of operation to which intelligent folks are bound. Wisdom digs deeper and stretches further than the established mass of the obvious. An intelligent person reads the lines and gains information from what is read but a wise person reads the lines AND between the lines thereby gaining much more information than the intelligent folk could ever have. Wisdom delves beyond that to which peoples perception are generally accustomed so that it reaches a conclusion or sound judgment after weighing every seen and unseen factor on the balance.

Unlike Intelligence, Wisdom is not limited to an area of specialization, it encompasses every sphere of activity and aspect of life.

Intelligence is a block of bricks and Wisdom is the builder. The bricks without the builder are useless even though they have value in themselves. The Word of God did not call atheists fools because they lack intelligence; it calls them fools because they lack plain wisdom. Truly, it is only a fool who looks at a building and says there is no builder or asks for a scientific proof of a builder just because he has not seen or heard from the builder.

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by akintom(m): 1:50pm On Mar 05, 2017
4everGod:

My sister I choose threads I grace. Some threads which are being driven by deranged people need not be considered as worthy of attention.

That thread is a classic example of intelligence gone awry.

The topic was all I needed to read in order to know its content.

Putting that thread side by side with yours answers the intelligence vs wisdom question. The OP of that thread is not wise he however isnt intelligent either.
Go to the thread and tell the OP.

Hiding here, to gloat about your yahweh induced "intelligence" is cowardice.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:55pm On Mar 05, 2017
akintom:

First, there can't be "perfect application of knowledge".

What is possible is rated application of knowledge, eg below average, average, above average etc.

*The BEST use to which knowledge is put is - intelligence

*The BEST use to which knowledge is put is - wisdom

A man is said to be "unwise" or "unintelligent", when the assessment of his knowledge application capacity, revealed a below average performance.

My humble submission!

In a certain area there can be perfect application of knowledge. What do you call it when someone gets everything right in his sums? What about getting puzzles right? Especially a jigsaw puzzle? You'll need to reconstruct the picture perfectly before you get a win. So perfection in the application of a particular knowledge area is possible.

Perfection is possible, it is just rare. You'll get to know if something is perfect after you've seen the results. Don't forget I'm talking about application of knowledge to a certain issue which can then be graded and not just knowledge.

What do you say of someone who in the midst of like minds with same level of intelligence, always passes sound judgment compared to the others? Would you say he is more intelligent than them or they are wiser than him?

The ability to select knowledge out of the various knowledge gained or to discern what input to choose to produce a better result is wisdom - my opinion
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 1:58pm On Mar 05, 2017
akintom:

Sir akintom, that was my fault OK. I made him aware of it so please face me and put the blame on me.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by akintom(m): 2:05pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

In a certain area there can be perfect application of knowledge. What do you call it when someone gets everything right in his sums? What about getting puzzles right? Especially a jigsaw puzzle? You'll need to reconstruct the picture perfectly before you get a win. So perfection in the application of a particular knowledge area is possible.

Perfection is possible, it is just rare. You'll get to know if something is perfect after you've seen the results. Don't forget I'm talking about application of knowledge to a certain issue which can then be graded and not just knowledge.

What do you say of someone who in the midst of like minds with same level of intelligence, always passes sound judgment compared to the others? Would you say he is more intelligent than them or they are wiser than him?

The ability to select knowledge out of the various knowledge gained or to discern what input to choose to produce a better result is wisdom - my opinion
My response to this will be comprehensive. I shall do that when i get back, as am gonna be off space shortly.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 2:07pm On Mar 05, 2017
Pastafarian:

I ain't gonna sing your praises

Intelligence made you post on that thread, it also made you post link to the thread here

Wisdom would've told you that you shouldn't attend to the thread at all

Wisdom also would've told you that you shouldn't post the link here cuz it'll only lead readers of this thread into clicking the link and checking the thread out, which gives more attention to the thread

no hard feelings

now back to our main discussion, I'm still awaiting your reply to my previous post

Of course I know I wasn't wise in that. And I understand you perfectly. But you see it was through those two I got to know more about the religion section.

The owner of that thread is really going too far, no matter our beliefs there should be respect. The funny thing is I like that guy and I know in reality he will be a calm person.

Anyway forgive me for that, I didn't mean for another battle to start.

But I'm happy because you've just shown you know the difference between wisdom and intelligence.

Because you just called me out for my foolishness.... And I don't want to see you acting like you know not the difference. I've caught you Pastafarian.... Are you hopefullandlord?

Thanks for the caution, I tap into the wisdom cheesy. I just decided not to follow it then. Lesson learnt.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 05, 2017
akintom:

Even the OP of that thread chooses his words when talking to me. He knows I am a man who will not be coerced by the words from the gullets of vitriol riddled persons whose air and ability to survive comes from the matrix of the world wide web.

I choose where my comments are made and since you wish to be his lap dog why not copy my comment and post it in his thread so as to ensure he got my message. Be a brave lad and do that for me alright?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2017
akintom:

My response to this will be comprehensive. I shall do that when i get back, as am gonna be off space shortly.

Ok dear. Will go offline soon also. Will be expecting you back though
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Pastafarian: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2017
skeendyke:
The Word of God did not call atheists fools because they lack intelligence; it calls them fools because they lack plain wisdom. Truly, it is only a fool who looks at a building and says there is no builder or asks for a scientific proof of a builder just because he has not seen or heard from the builder.

and don't you think its even a bigger fool that not only claims to know this builder but is sure that this builder is concerned about the skin on the tip of my Dick?

Incase you've lost track of what atheism entails, most atheists are NOT against a "Creator God"

most atheists are challenging the claims of the said "god"

look at this, I get home on Monday evening and my people told me someone came home while I was away, I've got no qualms with that so far

my skepticism starts when they tell me the guy gave them $1M cash

now its not the fact that someone visited that gave rose to my skepticism BUT the claim that he gave them $1M cash

most theists have lost track of the fact that atheism is simply subjecting the claim to scrutiny cuz any claim can be taken by faith
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Pastafarian: 2:12pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

Of course I know I wasn't wise in that. And I understand you perfectly. But you see it was through those two I got to know more about the religion section.

The owner of that thread is really going too far, no matter our beliefs there should be respect. The funny thing is I like that guy and I know in reality he will be a calm person.

Anyway forgive me for that, I didn't mean for another battle to start.

But I'm happy because you've just shown you know the difference between wisdom and intelligence.

Because you just called me out for my foolishness.... And I don't want to see you acting like you know not the difference. I've caught you Pastafarian.... Are you hopefullandlord?
to your last question, Yes!

to the main body

I actually used your definition in the process.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 2:15pm On Mar 05, 2017
Pastafarian:

to the main body

I actually used your definition in the process

Heiiiiiiiiii brother Hope cheesy

And stop lying jor. You know what wisdom is. thanks for the caution OK?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Pastafarian: 2:18pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

Heiiiiiiiiii brother Hope cheesy

And stop lying jor. You know what wisdom is. thanks for the caution OK?

OK

so do you think wisdom can only come from experience?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 2:19pm On Mar 05, 2017
Pastafarian:

to the main body

I actually used your definition in the process

BTW, are you agreeing that wisdom can only come from experience?

Don't forget you can learn from the experience of others.
A family of mine will always say "experience is the best teacher to a fool". He says when next I say experience is the best teacher I should complete it that way lipsrsealed
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by Pastafarian: 2:30pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

Don't forget you can learn from the experience of others.
A family of mine will always say "experience is the best teacher to a fool". He says when next I say experience is the best teacher I should complete it that way lipsrsealed

okay consider my previous post below

Pastafarian:

there's a popular saying, "Intelligence tells you tomatoes are fruits, Wisdom tells you its not a good idea to use it in a fruit salad"

stay with me here, how else are you supposed to know its not good for fruit salad? by either...

1. putting it in fruit salad and getting bad result from it

2. being told by someone who has put it in fruit salad and got bad result from it

it seems wisdom comes "Strictly" by experience going by your definition

so you're agreeing that wisdom can only come from experiences of the individual or by learning of the experiences of others

do you agree? or think I've misrepresented your view in any way?
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by analice107: 2:35pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

At the bolded that's a wow. Analice107 made us realize there are different types of wisdom. I'm sure the wisdom that isn't pure should be the type for selfish purposes but the one you just talked about that applies empathy should be the pure wisdom.

Not being crafty, that's the wisdom God wants us to crave for. Thank you Pidgin2 for honoring this thread.
You are right sis.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by pressplay411(m): 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
According to English Dictionary;

Intelligence: The capacity of the mind, especially to understand principles, truths, facts or meanings, acknowledge and apply it to practice;
The ability to learn and comprehend.

Wisdom: The ability to make a decision based on the combination of knowledge, experience, and intuitive understanding.

Apparently it takes intelligence to be wise.
Meaning you need to be intelligent first, in order to make wise decisions. Although in some cases, one can make wise decisions without necessary intelligence, by intuition.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by orisa37: 3:13pm On Mar 05, 2017
bennyann:

The English is too much for me jor. Please break it down down. Thank you.

Sorry please. Intelligence is Knowledge to plan, Knowledge to execute and Knowledge to control.
Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by skeendyke: 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2017
Pastafarian:

and don't you think its even a bigger fool that not only claims to know this builder but is sure that this builder is concerned about the skin on the tip of my Dick?

Incase you've lost track of what atheism entails, most atheists are NOT against a "Creator God"

most atheists are challenging the claims of the said "god"

look at this, I get home on Monday evening and my people told me someone came home while I was away, I've got no qualms with that so far

my skepticism starts when they tell me the guy gave them $1M cash

now its not the fact that someone visited that gave rose to my skepticism BUT the claim that he gave them $1M cash

most theists have lost track of the fact that atheism is simply subjecting the claim to scrutiny cuz any claim can be taken by faith

Your scrutiny of the belief in the existence of God does not change the fact that God has given you every clue for you to know that He exists...it doesn't change the reality of who He is.

Scrutinizing the belief in itself is not bad but will you continue scrutinizing to the grave?

1 Like

Re: Is Intelligence The Same As Wisdom? by bennyann: 8:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
skeendyke:
BennyAnn, many thanks for the mention and I apologize for the delay in response. Hope you do understand. As regards your Op here's my take on the issue.

Of noteworthy are the facts that the seat of the Intelligence is the mind while the seat of Wisdom is the heart. There is so much to say on this matter that my opinion is only an attempt to scratch the surface of what constitutes the difference between intelligence and wisdom.

Intelligence, generally, is acquired skills set, knowledge, and information. The intelligent person stands out in the exhibition of his or her knowledge or their capacity to handle a task given their skills and information at their disposal. They are adept at decision making revolving around their sphere of activity. However, it is easily deduced from this facts that intelligence is limited in its scope of operation because there are very many areas of life and skills where plain intelligence falls short of such as bringing up children, dealing with critics, maintaining a good reputation, keeping the home, selecting friends, choosing a spouse, driving a vehicle in a particular state of mind, deciding in issues between parties outside one's area of specialization, and many many more and especially the acknowledgement of the unknown. Facts and Figures are the eyes of Intelligence with which it judges reality but then appearance is deceptive. This is another flaw of intelligence. As a result, it is easily deceived, manipulated, distorted. This is one explanation why a great number of intelligent people are clueless.

Wisdom, on the other hand, is a form of perception that goes beyond the limited mental scope of operation to which intelligent folks are bound. Wisdom digs deeper and stretches further than the established mass of the obvious. An intelligent person reads the lines and gains information from what is read but a wise person reads the lines AND between the lines thereby gaining much more information than the intelligent folk could ever have. Wisdom delves beyond that to which peoples perception are generally accustomed so that it reaches a conclusion or sound judgment after weighing every seen and unseen factor on the balance.

Unlike Intelligence, Wisdom is not limited to an area of specialization, it encompasses every sphere of activity and aspect of life.

Intelligence is a block of bricks and Wisdom is the builder. The bricks without the builder are useless even though they have value in themselves. The Word of God did not call atheists fools because they lack intelligence; it calls them fools because they lack plain wisdom. Truly, it is only a fool who looks at a building and says there is no builder or asks for a scientific proof of a builder just because he has not seen or heard from the builder.

Deep! Thanks skeendyke. Always busy wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prophet Muhammed Said Adam Was 60 Cubit Tall (98.4251969 Feet) / Why I’m Crazy And Will Never  Be Like My Mother  – Bishop Oyedepo’s Daughter / Which Religion Babatunde Fashola Practice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.