Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Literature Section Popularity Ranking - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature Section Popularity Ranking (8704 Views)

Centino Wins May Literature Section 5K Award / The Extremely Appalling Poor Quality Of Writing On Literature Section. / Literature Section Plans For The Rest Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by MrBen10(m): 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
Nobody (Master)
BiafranBushBoy (Master)
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 05, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
So na here my MISSPERFECT28 wan die put, she loves this section pass her future husband cry
LOL,u dis indian rat grin
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by bibijay123(f): 9:08pm On Mar 05, 2017
Cornerstone001:
I am only here because of Bibijay123.
All hail to her.

Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by crazygod(m): 10:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
Bibijay123 is a Legend. Nothing anybody can tell me. angry

1 Like

Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by BiafranBushBoy: 11:40pm On Mar 05, 2017
Angelinastto:

woah, thought i will be in the newbie section.
Thanks honey.
I nominate Biafrabus.hboy, chumzyp.inky, Babso.pey, and Rache.lfst. This guys are pretty good.

kiss
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by hysteriabox(m): 3:23am On Mar 06, 2017
DarkRebel101:
It would only be necessary for a writer to secure universal popularity if imagination and intelligence were equally distributed among all men.” — W.H. Auden

[...]

I find all of this rather superficial and hollow. This merely confirms and, sadly, further perpetuates the pitiful and insidiously vile practice that seems de rigueur in this post-postmodern epoch. And that is none other than the cruel imposition of a more superior valuation on popularity and fad than on quality and ingenuity.

Popularity should never be the yardstick in arbitrating any piece of literature, and it most certainly should not be the benchmark in any of the facets of human endeavour. In following this popularity trend is the also the major reason why the Nigerian music industry is an eyesore... or an earsore if you will.

To prove how misleading and irresponsible it could be to arbitrate based on how popular something or someone is, I'd like to squeeze in an analogy.

–Now, imagine the painting of Michel Angelo's “The Last Judgement” were to somehow be scrapped off the walls of the Sistine Chapel so as to be put on public display for a crowd teeming with a hundred illiterate Danfo drivers and only two lettered Sunday historians. The odds are that the vast majority of that ensemble would be unable to apprehend and appreciate the emotive and artistic fathoms of the said painting.

So, can we then in all clear conscience pontificate that because the unschooled demographic of Danfo drivers are/were incapable of recognising and appreciating a brilliant work of art (or literature as the case may be), that it goes a long way in undermining the artistic/literary integrity of the painting/writing in question? I most certainly do not believe so.

[...]

Quality, not popularity, must always serve as the quantification metric in all spheres of life. And that is why I am nominating “Skarlett”.

Chai...
All this talk...
I feeling like i just heard Chris Okotie chant for like 3 mins, ending with a question...and the crowd starts to clap for lack of what to make of it all. grin

1 Like

Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by Chumzypinky(f): 9:28am On Mar 06, 2017
Angelinastto:

woah, thought i will be in the newbie section.
Thanks honey.
I nominate Biafrabushboy, chumzypinky, Babsopey, and Rachelfst. These guys are pretty good.
+drags ears+ Where u go since u dis babe of Zion??
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by bibijay123(f): 10:20am On Mar 06, 2017
crazygod:
Bibijay123 is a Legend. Nothing anybody can tell me. angry

Lol see vexing o

1 Like

Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by Cornerstone001: 11:47am On Mar 06, 2017
bibijay123:

Thanks bro

You're welcome Sis.
It is an understatement if I say that "YOU ARE THE BEST" wink cool cool
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by solomonbrown64: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2017
sunkieisland:
solomonbrown64 should be a legend on this board.

the finesse with which he passes his message is phenomenal

.....Thanks bro....
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by bibijay123(f): 4:45pm On Mar 06, 2017
Cornerstone001:

You're welcome Sis.
It is an understatement if I say that "YOU ARE THE BEST" wink cool cool

kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by jakandeola(m): 9:50pm On Mar 06, 2017
bibijay123:

kiss kiss
luv u dear
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by Oyinprince(m): 12:49pm On Mar 13, 2017
ginagold01:
I nominate oyinprince for his story 'Tarasha'. Y'all need to read that. legend
Thanks ma'am
Re: Literature Section Popularity Ranking by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 15, 2017
DarkRebel101:
It would only be necessary for a writer to secure universal popularity if imagination and intelligence were equally distributed among all men.” — W.H. Auden

[...]

I find all of this rather superficial and hollow. This merely confirms and, sadly, further perpetuates the pitiful and insidiously vile practice that seems de rigueur in this post-postmodern epoch. And that is none other than the cruel imposition of a more superior valuation on popularity and fad than on quality and ingenuity.

Popularity should never be the yardstick in arbitrating any piece of literature, and it most certainly should not be the benchmark in any of the facets of human endeavour. In following this popularity trend is the also the major reason why the Nigerian music industry is an eyesore... or an earsore if you will.

To prove how misleading and irresponsible it could be to arbitrate based on how popular something or someone is, I'd like to squeeze in an analogy.

–Now, imagine the painting of Michel Angelo's “The Last Judgement” were to somehow be scrapped off the walls of the Sistine Chapel so as to be put on public display for a crowd teeming with a hundred illiterate Danfo drivers and only two lettered Sunday historians. The odds are that the vast majority of that ensemble would be unable to apprehend and appreciate the emotive and artistic fathoms of the said painting.

So, can we then in all clear conscience pontificate that because the unschooled demographic of Danfo drivers are/were incapable of recognising and appreciating a brilliant work of art (or literature as the case may be), that it goes a long way in undermining the artistic/literary integrity of the painting/writing in question? I most certainly do not believe so.

[...]

Quality, not popularity, must always serve as the quantification metric in all spheres of life. And that is why I am nominating “Skarle tt”.

This means a lot coming from a "tough" critic like you, thanks Michael

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As You Make Your Bed, So You Will Lie On Itm / Book Summary - The Instant Millionaire By Mark Fisher / The Curious Case Of Boda Meko (A Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.