Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,510 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation (10033 Views)

Expect More Increase In Electricity Bill – NERC / Nigeria Ranks The Second Worst Country In Electricity Supply In 2017 / FG Approves N701bn To Boost Electricity Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by felixomor: 8:52am On Mar 06, 2017
This is commendable.

We have to pray that our government does not fustrate you...

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by KennyID17(m): 8:52am On Mar 06, 2017
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by obailala(m): 8:52am On Mar 06, 2017
$6billion for 1200mw? undecided
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by texazzpete(m): 8:58am On Mar 06, 2017
Coal is abundant in Enugu. What is stopping the South East states from coming together to form a jointly owned coal-to-power venture to generate stable electricity for the region?
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by mechanics(m): 9:02am On Mar 06, 2017
i pray it happens.
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by ans123: 9:03am On Mar 06, 2017
Coal is among the no 1 contributor to global warming. In this day and age we should b looking at how we can generate clean energy. For more info on the impact of coal to the environment please visithttp://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Environmental_impacts_of_coal
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by binary007: 9:05am On Mar 06, 2017
abumeinben:
grin

Possible reason: Coals are mined in the east, gases explored South South, yet the North enjoys power supply more than other zones.

Any else?
: yes please.

Spill it: By estimate, $1b generates 1000MW. How come $6b was raised to generate 1200MW of same electricity?

Besides, I hope this is not Zuma, our brotherly neighbour from down south.

God bless your inquisitive mind.
Longtan Dam and Hydropower Station - Guangxi, China (Cost: $4.2 Billion US)
Longtan Dam is a large roller-compacted concrete (RCC) gravity dam on the Hongshui River in Tian'e County of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China, a tributary of the Xi River and the Pearl River. The dam is 216.2 m (709.3 ft) high and 849 m (2,785 ft) long; it is the tallest of its type in the world. The dam is intended for hydroelectric power production, flood control and navigation. The dam contains seven surface spillways, two bottom outlets and an underground power station. The installed electric power generation capacity of the dam is 6,426MW.

I'm always confused when money is being quoted in Nigeria, it is like we are trading in alien currency with unknown exchange rate..
$6bn for 1200MW??
Why am I not surprised?

2 Likes

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by mfm04622: 9:08am On Mar 06, 2017
Lincoln275:
another billion dollars to loot.

The money is from private purse. No FG money is involved
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 06, 2017
texazzpete:
Coal is abundant in Enugu. What is stopping the South East states from coming together to form a jointly owned coal-to-power venture to generate stable electricity for the region?

Exactly.

Though the problem is, I think, that in the days of phcn, any state generating power had to dash the govt so that it could be redistributed. That is why many states did not get into power generation.

Don't know what obtains now under privatization.
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by LorDBolton(m): 9:32am On Mar 06, 2017
Dangote coal mining = kogi

Eti-zuma coal mining = kogi

Yet they call enugu...coal city? I'm confused
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Yankee101: 9:38am On Mar 06, 2017
https://www.thecable.ng/okobo-kogi-village-where-coal-mining-is-killing-the-people

The five-year presence of Eta Zuma mining company in the community, located in Ankpa local government area of Kogi state, has brought with it deaths, diseases, pains and sleeplessness.

The town’s water supply has been contaminated by
Presently, the only health facility is the ETA Zuma company-owned staff clinic, which community members lack access to. Consequently, those who fall ill are often transported to the poorly-equipped general hospital in Ankpa — a journey of more than two hours.

In five years, Okobo people have not seen the benefits of the company that makes its bread from their land..

https://www.thecable.ng/okobo-kogi-village-where-coal-mining-is-killing-the-people

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by homesteady(m): 9:40am On Mar 06, 2017
I was initially very happy, until I saw it would take about 30 months to be completed! Mtcheew, about 3 years before we start feeling the effect.
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Abee79(m): 9:47am On Mar 06, 2017
Why not invest that money in seeking alternative solutions to our power woes? Affordable Renewable energy options for instance?
*Only a fool keeps doing the same thing and getting the same results - or even worse, and still keeps doing it that same way. NIGERIA, IT'S TIME TO THINK OUT OF THE BOX!!!!
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by bibe(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2017
LorDBolton:
Dangote coal mining = kogi

Eti-zuma coal mining = kogi

Yet they call enugu...coal city? I'm confused

History.

Coal was mined in Enugu by the British, rail was constructed from Enugu to Port Harcourt for the chief purpose of transporting it to the Port. That's how Port Harcourt as a port and city came to be developed.

There was also a coal powered power plant in Enugu generating electricity then.

I'm guessing the infrastructure of the mines needs upgrading to modern standards. Why it's not been done yet is a question for another day.

However Enugu still has huge amounts of coal deposits yet untapped.
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by PrinxArthur1(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2017
$6bn for 1.5 gigawatt Nigeria is a funny country ooh
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by thundafire: 10:22am On Mar 06, 2017
Nigeria is filled with Jokers,$6b to generate 1200megawatt of electricity Kai,yet dis country 4rm dy era of Obj-Yardua-GEJ-possible dy Vegetable re still not able 2 surpass common 5200megawatt hmmmmmmm y wouldn't other countries look down on is
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by LorDBolton(m): 10:25am On Mar 06, 2017
bibe:

History.

Coal was mined in Enugu by the British, rail was constructed from Enugu to Port Harcourt for the chief purpose of transporting it to the Port. That's how Port Harcourt as a port and city came to be developed.

There was also a coal powered power plant in Enugu generating electricity then.

I'm guessing the infrastructure of the mines needs upgrading to modern standards. Why it's not been done yet is a question for another day.

However Enugu still has huge amounts of coal deposits yet untapped.

Thanks. For the history lesson... but my confusion is with regards to this present day and time.

Maybe I should be more direct:

If enugu is called the "coal city" then it can be assumed it's blessed with large reserves, so why is kogi the choice destination for coal mining??!
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by bibe(m): 10:28am On Mar 06, 2017
Abee79:
Why not invest that money in seeking alternative solutions to our power woes? Affordable Renewable energy options for instance?
*Only a fool keeps doing the same thing and getting the same results - or even worse, and still keeps doing it that same way. NIGERIA, IT'S TIME TO THINK OUT OF THE BOX!!!!

These alternative solutions are 'expensive'.
Of all the renewable alternatives, solar is the most viable for our environment.
However, solar has its problems too. Cost, 'efficiency', maintenance, battery requirements etc.
Our most feasible options remain hydro, gas and coal.

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by bibe(m): 10:32am On Mar 06, 2017
LorDBolton:

Thanks. For the history lesson... but my confusion is with regards to this present day and time.

Maybe I should be more direct:

If enugu is called the "coal city" then it can be assumed it's blessed with large reserves, so why is kogi the choice destination for coal mining??!

Yes it is indeed blessed with large reserves like I noted. From paper sources, it has more deposit than any other state in the country.

As for why it's not being mined, your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 06, 2017
Rubbish.
Build solar farms in the north.
Build windmills in the west
Build dams in the south
Generate electricity from gas in the South South
Generate electricity from coal in the east

Let each region generate their own electricity instead of supplying to the national grid.
And watch Nigeria generate over 100,000Mw of electricity
But we can't.
Our vegetable can't think about something like that.
Come 2050, Nigeria will still be struggling to generate at least 10,000Mw.
Y'all need to wake the eff up.
This nation is not going to progress if we don't tell ourselves the truth all the time.
Poor $6bn. Don't care if it's a private or government contract, it'll be pocketed anyway..
Spits
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 10:37am On Mar 06, 2017
osahonmk:
A private firm, Eta-Zuma Group West Africa Limited, has announced an investment outlay of $6bn to boost Nigeria’s electricity generation by 1,200 Megawatts.

The Chairman of the company, Dr. Innocent Ezuma, made the announcement during a press briefing in Abuja on Friday.

Ezuma, who was represented by Executive Director, Corporate Services, Ambassador Joseph Ayalogu, said the 1,200MW would be generated from coal, which the company is already mining in Kogi State.

He also stated that the company had acquired another licence from the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Agency to generate additional 400MW from gas.

Ezuma said 90 per cent of the work on the development stages had been completed and expressed confidence that the remaining agreements would be completed before the year runs out to enable the actual construction of the coal power plant to begin.

According to him, the first phase of the construction for the 400MW plant will take 30 months, adding that the subsequent phases would take lesser time to complete.

The Eta-Zuma boss also announced a N500m Community Development Fund spread across five years for the benefit of the communities that host the company’s coal mine in Kogi State.

Ezuma, whose firm acquired the Jos Steel Complex from the Federal Government in 2006, said the steel complex had not been able to go into production because of lack of guaranteed electricity supply.

To resolve the situation, he added that the company resolved to build a captive power plant that would ensure that the steel complex would get the guaranteed 100MW of electricity it required to be in production.

He said, “We have opened an active mine in Okobo, Ankpa Local Government Area of Kogi State and currently mine 50,000 metric tonnes of coal per month. We have the capacity to double that as demand increases.

“We are the leading suppliers of premium quality coal to Nigeria’s industrial end users, including Dangote and Zuma Energy coal-to-power project under development, which will supply 1,200MW of electricity to the grid.”

He added, “The Eta-Zuma Group and its sister-client companies have invested over $300m so far in various projects even though they are still at their development stages. The 1,200MW coal-to-power will require about $6bn to actualise.”

http://www.energywatchng.com/firm-invest-6bn-electricity-generation/

I can imagine the metric tons of green house emissions and other pollutants the project will produce on a monthly basis. Power generation from coal is not environment friendly, but half loaf is better than none though
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Sugarboyy(m): 10:42am On Mar 06, 2017
awesome
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 06, 2017
Polyphony:
[b]Rubbish.
Build solar farms in the north.
Do you know how much it costs to build and maintain a solar power plant?
Polyphony:

Build windmills in the west
wind mills can only power a small village. It is not efficient when considering a large geographical state

But i agree that power should be decentralised
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by jabojafa(m): 11:32am On Mar 06, 2017
abumeinben:
grin

Possible reason: Coals are mined in the east, gases explored South South, yet the North enjoys power supply more than other zones.

Any else?

Spill it: By estimate, $1b generates 1000MW. How come $6b was raised to generate 1200MW of same electricity?

my broda i tire for all thes ppl. $1B can giv 1000MW of electricity frm solar and even hydro--- now coal is giving 1.2MW frm $6B..

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 06, 2017
DanXplore:

Do you know how much it costs to build and maintain a solar power plant?

wind mills can only power a small village. It is not efficient when considering a large geographical state

But i agree that power should be decentralised

Do you know how much they've wasted on the power sector?
Countries like Germany use windmills, Nigeria can do that to.
Bro, the money is there. They just can't think.
Black man mentality anyway.
Stomach infrastructure.
Instead of you to work, you'll use that as an opportunity to save for your future generations.
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by akoko11: 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2017
abumeinben:
grin

Any else?

Bro, the 6bn is not only for power generation but for the construction of the power plant. Don't forget that power plant is capitally intensive
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 1:28pm On Mar 06, 2017
Polyphony:

Do you know how much they've wasted on the power sector?
Countries like Germany use windmills, Nigeria can do that to.
Bro, the money is there. They just can't think.
Black man mentality anyway.
Stomach infrastructure.
Instead of you to work, you'll use that as an opportunity to save for your future generations.

This project is not funded by government, it is by a private firm.

The point here is no firm in the world produces 1000mw of power from wind mills alone, the maximum you'll hear of is 2mw or so and this will cost about $2million per mw. It will be a mechanical disadvantage to try to generate 1000mw from wind mills alone....how many windmills are you going to set up and monitor to generate 1000mw?
secondly, solar power, aside cost requires constant maintenance, replacement of batteries etc and this will raise the annual cost of running the plant. Nigeria has a very poor maintenance culture. If we cannot maintain turbines and other relatively simple infrastructure, how can we maintain solar panels?
Power generation from coal seems to be most efficient in Nigeria considering its polical, economic and geographical factors. Moreover, they need to adopt a process that will within the limits of $6 billion bring about optimum power generation and return on investment

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 06, 2017
abumeinben:
grin

Any else?

binary007:

I'm always confused when money is being quoted in Nigeria, it is like we are trading in alien currency with unknown exchange rate..
$6bn for 1200MW??
Why am I not surprised?

By what estimate? If it costs $1billion to generate 1000mw in china, it will be a gross mistake to assume that it should cost the same in Nigeria. Remember that 100% of the core power generation components will be imported. Did u even account for tax, import duties, inflation, currency depreciation & devaluation and salaries of professionals that will work on the project?

There are always geographical and socio-political factors responsible for cost variation. Private investors are not stupid. The money is from their pocket
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by abumeinben(m): 2:01pm On Mar 06, 2017
DanXplore:

By what estimate? If it costs $1billion to generate 1000mw in china, it will be a gross mistake to assume that it should cost the same in Nigeria. Remember that 100% of the core power generation components will be imported. Did u even account for tax, import duties, inflation, currency depreciation & devaluation and salaries of professionals that will work on the project?

There are always geographical and socio-political factors responsible for cost variation. Private investors are not stupid. The money is from their pocket

Oga .....

Oga

Fashola handled same project of 1000MW for almost $1b last year....
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by abumeinben(m): 2:03pm On Mar 06, 2017
akoko11:

Bro, the 6bn is not only for power generation but for the construction of the power plant. Don't forget that power plant is capitally intensive

So 1bn for generation.... 5bn for what bro?
Re: Firm To Invest $6bn In Electricity Generation by Blue3k(m): 2:12pm On Mar 06, 2017
Old news I talked about it in my other thread. You people seem late to the party. If Nigeria was using coal power more as bigger part of mix we would industrialize faster.

https://www.nairaland.com/3624845/how-make-niger-delta-oil

Blue3k:

I just remembered Nigeria is about to have coal power. We'll both get to test our theories. Itobe Power Plant will be built in Kogi. At the full capacity it's expected to produce 1200 MW.

Tazdroid:
Well this is a welcome development. I never knew power generation from coal was possible.

Coal power is big percentage of generation in lots of countries like US, Germany, South Aafrica China India etc. Coal has always been an option but our government is short sited.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Timi Alaibe Declares Ambition To Be Governor Of Bayelsa / Lagos Nigeria, Don't Go There? / Alison-Madueke Inaugurates Africa’s Largest Oil Vessel In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.