Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (493979 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2017
Ess:

It still stands as above $10,000 which they have to declare if they wish to split it since they are traveling together.
Save yourself the declaration and hold the $9k and use your cards if need be.

The $10,000 is per person (adult presumably).
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 2:10pm On Jul 18, 2017
djPyper:
Hi, there is nothing wrong with you travelling a few weeks to resumption as long as its after your earliest date of arrival, however you might be asked two important questions, why you are arriving so early and why you are arriving in Houston and not california, if you're able to explain well that you are meeting your sponsor to make arrangements for school fees payment,insurance and all that before connecting to california you should be fine. goodluck.
p.s it might also help if you have a ticket for the 2nd leg of your journey from houston to california.

No no!

He/she doesn't have to be in US to make arrangements for payment of tuition fees.

This is definitely a red flag.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mandex11:
LONG POST ALERT

Hello guys great work here time to share my experience.

left 9ja through abv to Fra on the 3rd of July with lufthansa airline the expression with them was great.

got to fra spent like 4hrs 30mins there before we took the next flight (thats from frankfurt to Dallas dfw) the flight was looooooooonng mehn but twas great the food the drinks asin twas kiss. (by the way frankfurt airport is REALLY BIIIGGG)

so finally we landed dfw at exactly 2.05pm dallas time
our flight was the only one that landed at that time
so went straight to scan my pp for self service koisk and my slip came out with circle on it.

went to show it to the guy checking it and he said I'm free to go collect my bags. I was quite suprise cause twas just going smoothly.

so I finally collected my bags o and went straight to MEET C.B.P officer it got to my turn and I didn't spendo up to 50sec with him. here is it

C.B.P.what are you here for
ME.for vacation and to have my baby

C.B.P did you bring food stuff
ME.yes and started naming them cause I declared what I brought and he just said don't bother after naming the 3rd item

C.B.P. what my final destination
ME.told him elpaso

and he stamped my pp till Jan 2018 with b2 circled on it.

and that was it off I went to take my connecting flight to my final destination with south West air line.

my experience at dfw was really nice and fast I thank everyone for sharing thier experience cause nothing was asked or checked.

so that's my own personal first hand experience right there.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
gomez1only:
Hello everyone, I'm asking this question on behalf of my younger brother in yankee. He got a 2 years US visa in April this year, then travelled in middle of May, on his arrival at the POE, he was told he can only stay in the US until 1st of June 2017 (2wks stay). But, today is 8th of July and he's still in the US. But he plans on leaving by next month to come back to Nigeria. So, we're just scared of what might happen if he wants to return probably by next year. Will it be possible for him to also apply for a visa for his wife & kids? We need advice's please. What's his fate on coming back next year? What will happen to the current 2 years visa?

Abeg, make ona no fry us too much with yabbing o! Just go straight to the point on your advice please, Lol. Thanks in advance!

He is no longer a trusted traveler, his credibility is now at stake.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by valeria: 3:14pm On Jul 18, 2017
seyewest:
I've got something for you... return ticket for N46K

Thanks a lot. Please send me a link with airline details. I do not mind booking it today. Cheapest i have ever seen is $280 per passenger.

God bless you!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by valeria: 3:28pm On Jul 18, 2017
moonraker:

As long as your story stacks up, you should be fine. The bolded is what i dont get and it might backfire on you.

I highly suggest you buy your domestic tickets before you leave Nigeria. That way, even if the POE officer doubts your story, your domestic

tickets would bail you out. Hope you understand what i am trying to say.

Thanks for the feedback. From replies gotten so far, it would not be necessary to spend a night in New York anymore. I hope to get cheaper tickets (with the help of the great people here). So i will leave JFK on same day (September 1st) i arrive.
Thank you!!!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 4:33pm On Jul 18, 2017
valeria:

Thanks a lot. Please send me a link with airline details. I do not mind booking it today. Cheapest i have ever seen is $280 per passenger.

God bless you!
Normally I prefer you send me PM so I can send you the link but so as to help others.... This is what you will do.. it's a bit expensive flying from JFK and from what I've seen any flight from New york to Miami international is very expensive. What I did was to look for the nearest airport to Miami which is Fort Lauderdale International, FL (FLL) and it's just 20 mins ride to Center of Miami so after some search I was able to connect EWR (New Jersey) to Fort Lauderdale International, FL (FLL) direct fly for less $125 per passenger for a return ticket.
So go to online and book it that way if not PM for the link.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by valeria: 5:30pm On Jul 18, 2017
seyewest:

Normally I prefer you send me PM so I can send you the link but so as to help others.... This is what you will do.. it's a bit expensive flying from JFK and from what I've seen any flight from New york to Miami international is very expensive. What I did was to look for the nearest airport to Miami which is Fort Lauderdale International, FL (FLL) and it's just 20 mins ride to Center of Miami so after some search I was able to connect EWR (New Jersey) to Fort Lauderdale International, FL (FLL) direct fly for less $125 per passenger for a return ticket.

I have tried sending you a PM, its not working. If you can please send me a PM so i can respond (i am not conversant with this page). Thank you
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 5:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
valeria:

I have tried sending you a PM, its not working. If you can please send me a PM so i can respond (i am not conversant with this page). Thank you
I've replied you.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
cosade:

With the cancelation of his visa, he is no longer qualified to use dropbox.
He is actually. To clear all doubts he can ask the Vo @ abujaniv's thread
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
valeria:

Thanks for the feedback. From replies gotten so far, it would not be necessary to spend a night in New York anymore. I hope to get cheaper tickets (with the help of the great people here). So i will leave JFK on same day (September 1st) i arrive.
Thank you!!!
My dear, plan your itinerary well o. Flights can be delayed so your leaving JFK same day you arrive may not happen. There's also always a long queue at JFK both for self scanning and seeing the CBP.

US Domestic flights do not have baggage allowance. You pay for your check in luggages so you may end up spending more than you bargained for.

I'll advise if you're on a budget to consider going the bus or train route.

Arriving JFK enroute other states is not an issue. Almost all travellers i know went this route moi inclusive. Not once not twice with no issues at border control.

Safe trip though. Cheers

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by 9jaStar: 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2017
She be careful with these cheap tickets o. Restrictions plenty
If you miss your flight, Sahara.
And you still have to pay $25 or so per baggage.
Still, you should thank Seyewest for helping you get it.

valeria:

God bless you!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2017
seyewest:
Please and Please don't help anybody carry anything from Nigeria to U.S especially someone you don't know or distant family friends.. Please becareful ooooo. May God continue to guide and protect us.
Lol. Even to help someone hold something at the airport is very risky. ( like i wan go piss help me hold/watch my bag).

Someone almost played a fast and dangerous one on me on arrival at MMA
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by mulekanle: 7:13pm On Jul 18, 2017
Good evening everyone, I have never traveled out but praying visa is granted this year. I have gained Alot reading questions and answers on this thread, nevertheless, I have some questions:
1. The plan is to move and stay with my uncle, study and work for number of years I can't say. what is the maximum number of days/months/year one can be granted at POE?

2. when asked reason for moving to USA, is it ideal to say to work, study and stay, when I actually don't have work permit or license or admission into any of the school. (although am doing my PG studies here already)?
3. my passport is expected to be renewed in the next five years, if by the time of renewal, I am still abroad, what may nearly happen to me?

4. About the application for the visa, I know nothing, my uncle just asked for my name, age and passport. what could be the type of visa is applying for on my behalf?

I am really a novice in travelling and I kindly need your help in getting myself prepared for questions during interviews when called.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2017
shrekandfiona:

One of the questions he'll be asked when booking for appointment is "if his visa has been cancelled or revoked before" and once he answers "yes" to this question, then the system won't take him to the page where he would be able too print the dropbox eligibility letter. No harm in asking AbujaNIV.

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cosade(m): 9:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
mulekanle:
Good evening everyone, I have never traveled out but praying visa is granted this year. I have gained Alot reading questions and answers on this thread, nevertheless, I have some questions:
1. The plan is to move and stay with my uncle, study and work for number of years I can't say. what is the maximum number of days/months/year one can be granted at POE?

2. when asked reason for moving to USA, is it ideal to say to work, study and stay, when I actually don't have work permit or license or admission into any of the school. (although am doing my PG studies here already)?
3. my passport is expected to be renewed in the next five years, if by the time of renewal, I am still abroad, what may nearly happen to me?

4. About the application for the visa, I know nothing, my uncle just asked for my name, age and passport. what could be the type of visa is applying for on my behalf?

I am really a novice in travelling and I kindly need your help in getting myself prepared for questions during interviews when called.

wink wink Indeed your post (or questions) truly confirmed you're a novice concerning traveling. Like the creator of this thread always say, come back here to ask question when you have your visa.

6 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:03pm On Jul 18, 2017
9jaStar:
She be careful with these cheap tickets o. Restrictions plenty
If you miss your flight, Sahara.
And you still have to pay $25 or so per baggage.
Still, you should thank Seyewest for helping you get it.

My candid advice is to book one way from New York to Florida with as little as possible luggage.
Return to New York will require planning as well because you will have a lot of bags by then.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:07pm On Jul 18, 2017
mulekanle:

This thread is for people with visa.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 11:00pm On Jul 18, 2017
seyewest:

Newark is quite far from JFK, no??
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:19pm On Jul 18, 2017
moonraker:

not really... an Hour and the half.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by moonraker(m): 11:22pm On Jul 18, 2017
seyewest:
not really... an Hour and the half.

Yeah but you have to take into consideration that he or she is travelling with kids...

Unless of course he or she takes a cab. The train or bus (if there is one) might be a bad idea... My opinion of course..
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:31pm On Jul 18, 2017
moonraker:

Yeah but you have to take into consideration that he or she is travelling with kids...

Unless of course he or she takes a cab. The train or bus (if there is one) might be a bad idea... My opinion of course..
There's airport to airport shuttle for $20 to EWR

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Jamezy4u: 10:54am On Jul 19, 2017
Please,

Between JFK(New York) and MIA (Miami, Florida) PoE, which one is less stressful or does not give much issues?

I need to fly to CRP, so considering taking flight to either JFK or MIA then to CRP finally.

All other advice/information/guide will be highly appreciated.

Proposed travel dates is btw 16th and 18th Aug

Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 11:29am On Jul 19, 2017
@valeria, you tried sending me a pm. do ask your questions here to get more views/opinion from well travelled people.

You'll be better equipped that way. cheers
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 11:36am On Jul 19, 2017
Jamezy4u:
Please,

Between JFK(New York) and MIA (Miami, Florida) PoE, which one is less stressful or does not give much issues?

I need to fly to CRP, so considering taking flight to either JFK or MIA then to CRP finally.

All other advice/information/guide will be highly appreciated.

Proposed travel dates is btw 16th and 18th Aug

Thanks

Any POE is fine as long as your motives are good. However Miami FL is less crowded than JFK
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Jamezy4u: 11:54am On Jul 19, 2017
Thanks much for the response, However, please, I hope breaking journey like that will not raise any issue at the PoE?
Am actually a graduate student to study in CRP, straight flight will be very expensive, so decided to break like that so that it will be cheaper!

shrekandfiona:

Any POE is fine as long as your motives are good. However Miami FL is less crowded than JFK
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by shrekandfiona: 12:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
Jamezy4u:
Thanks much for the response, However, please, I hope breaking journey like that will not raise any issue at the PoE?
Am actually a graduate student to study in CRP, straight flight will be very expensive, so decided to break like that so that it will be cheaper!

not at all. Just have your onward ticket handy incase they ask for it.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by valeria: 5:24pm On Jul 19, 2017
shrekandfiona:

My dear, plan your itinerary well o. Flights can be delayed so your leaving JFK same day you arrive may not happen. There's also always a long queue at JFK both for self scanning and seeing the CBP.

US Domestic flights do not have baggage allowance. You pay for your check in luggages so you may end up spending more than you bargained for.

I'll advise if you're on a budget to consider going the bus or train route.

Arriving JFK enroute other states is not an issue. Almost all travellers i know went this route moi inclusive. Not once not twice with no issues at border control.

Safe trip though. Cheers

Thank you very much for the response. i really do not mind taking the bus or train, that is if i can get the tickets while still in Naija. Can you help with a site i can visit to get these tickets?
Thank you very much
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by valeria: 5:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
seyewest:

There's airport to airport shuttle for $20 to EWR

This is great to hear. it may be a cheaper option, as long as i have the domestic tickets already purchased.

Anyone with airlines or sites i could purchase domestic tickets from? i may purchase just a one way ticket considering we will have more luggage on the return trip and i am not sure what the baggage allowance will be.

My final question is: Will there be extra scrutiny at POE because i am arriving at a different airport from my final destination? In trying to save cost i am looking at the possibility of not missing a domestic flight after i must have made payment earlier. This is becoming hectic and my current considerations are: re-routing our international flight to Miami (ticket booked over a month ago and we are on a budget) or spending the summer in New York.

Please advice. God bless you all and I cant wait to share my POE transcript here
@Seyewest you are doing a great job. Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nefertitiram: 6:30pm On Jul 19, 2017
shrekandfiona:

I don't think he is.

When booking appt on ustraveldoc website, when answering the Dropbox questions once you put that you have had a canceled visa you are taken to where you will book appt instead of Dropbox confirmation
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nefertitiram: 6:31pm On Jul 19, 2017
cosade:

One of the questions he'll be asked when booking for appointment is "if his visa has been cancelled or revoked before" and once he answers "yes" to this question, then the system won't take him to the page where he would be able too print the dropbox eligibility letter. No harm in asking AbujaNIV.

Very correct
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nefertitiram: 6:32pm On Jul 19, 2017
moonraker:

Not at all. Take nycairporter shuttle for $16

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.