Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me (23792 Views)

Why ‘can I Sue My Employer?’ Is Often The Wrong Question / My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help / My Former Employer Is Yet To Remit My 23 Months Pension Fund To My RSA. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Domwiz4all(m): 8:47am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:
Simple, stop taking the bike to work. Or take it to work, and park where it can NOT be seen. (DO NOT EVER ALLOW HIM FIND OUT)

Then tell him the bike is faulty. Do this 2 or 3 times. He will get the message.

It is cool to have him use your stuff (Could make you his favorite person), and you can easily get stuffs from him sometimes also.

It is Not cool, when he over uses you or the bike. Thats taking advantage.

Whichever way, Pls be diplomatic in your approach.

Cheers!
Best advice I have seen a in while . I couldn't have advised him better
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by dom(m): 8:54am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:
Simple, stop taking the bike to work. Or take it to work, and park where it can NOT be seen. (DO NOT EVER ALLOW HIM FIND OUT)

Then tell him the bike is faulty. Do this 2 or 3 times. He will get the message.

It is cool to have him use your stuff (Could make you his favorite person), and you can easily get stuffs from him sometimes also.

Cheers!
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by yahmohy27: 8:56am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!
SiMple as A B C ,this guy good o,,,op you're so lucky to have the answer so quick ,before some mumu go scattered it for you
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by gbaskiboy: 8:56am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!
simple but true advice! send me PM make I find you small alomo

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by nams77: 8:57am On Mar 07, 2017
Allow him bros. It's a price to pay and you will reap the rewards

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Diogo1(m): 9:00am On Mar 07, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
OP please flee from this advice!!!!

Op, don't flee from the advice. So many in experienced people are advising you. Even the unemployed who only have NYSC experience.

You are actually sowing a seed that will benefit you in future. Unfortunately, we don't know the type of establishment you work in as it would have helped to assess the situation well.

I believe your bike has a fuel gauge. If you believe you have exhausted what you boss has put in your tank, then keep the volume of the fuel low as good as empty so that anytime he wants to use the bike, both of you will have to visit a petrol station or else he can't use the bike. You will be arm twisting him to buy fuel.

Telling him your bike is spoilt us like burning a candle at both ends. You'll bear the inconvenience of public transport and he will 'get the message' at you own peril.

I left banking as a branch manager so I know what am talking about. Don't take the acclaimed wonderful advice. It will lead to your dislike and maybe outright sack.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by economania(m): 9:03am On Mar 07, 2017
Na symbiotic relationship, stop lying that was bad advice under this economy recession shine ur eyes. It was crystal clear that many Nigerians are not God fearing people which books of God told u to lie. Check lorry load of people supporting malicious advice given up there. Fake people attending fake churches and mosques. They know the calibre of you, that was reason politicians promise us to build bridges where there are no rivers.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by ugotuf(m): 9:06am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!
Someone please tell the barman to give this bros. 2 cold bottles of Maltex, I will pay tomorrow.
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Claessique1(f): 9:09am On Mar 07, 2017
Idydarling:
u sure you've not had an experience in this yourself? no other advice can beat this one

LOLS.
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Nobody: 9:10am On Mar 07, 2017
babythug:

Your advice doesn't seem balanced and I'm not sure you get the entire picture. The issue is that the employer feels that once he fuels the bike he must use all the fuel purchased and obviously ends up using more in addition to not bearing the cost of depreciation on the bike!

If the employer needs a bike he should buy one.

These things are common with one man enterprises and inhuman employers.

I remember a marketing job i got whereby foolishly used my vehicle for marketing purposes. It was being fueled weekly at first I didn't even consider or mind wear and tear on the vehicle. Next thing the MD started saying I was using the fuel for personal purposes. My boss had to ask if I was to park the car and trek because "official fuel" was in my car. Next thing they wanted me requesting for fuel allowance daily as opposed to weekly!

These are the type of employers that make their employees intent and hell bent on cheating plus duping them!

Wish we had better labour laws in this country

Mcheeewww

S
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Okundaye4(m): 9:11am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!

Me too was here.
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 07, 2017
islandmoon:
Chukwudi!!!! how dare you posted this on internet? you never informed me, why not simple tell me to buy more fuel? so e dey pain you as i dey beg you to dey help me use your bike to carry Mama Risikat go market? you are fired!! dont even come to work today!!

He will come and beg you in the office, sir grin.
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by toseen7: 9:17am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!
make i join the "quote" queue grin

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 07, 2017
Stop taking the bike to work for sometime.
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by joe4real12: 9:24am On Mar 07, 2017
tellwisdom:
Somersault with him,maybe inside lagoon or river; but make sure you wear protection undecided
Like life Jacket shey grin
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by ruggedtimi(m): 9:38am On Mar 07, 2017
I Would advice you to even teach him how to ride the bike cool
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Taiwo20(m): 9:38am On Mar 07, 2017
GreenPlumes:
I have a very strong, brand-new bike. My employer has two cars. But whenever he wants to beat traffic on his way to a very important meeting or transaction, he would fuel my bike, and ask me to transport him.

Because of this, he feels his fuel is inside my bike, and would ask me anytime to take him out without refueling until whenever he thinks his fuel might have been exhausted. This is affecting me, as he uses more fuel than he buys, not to talk of wear and tear on, and depreciation of my bike.

How do I confront him politely?

Pikin wey sabi die, him mama go sabi bury am

Get an empty container of Eva water and fill it with fuel. Only pour in your fuel whenever you need it for personal use. Form a habit of saying no, and you don't have fuel
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by asha01: 9:42am On Mar 07, 2017
dahmie2013:
Op, I will advice u don't allow ur employer get d msg. U're even lucky he is fuelling it, some won't even do dat. If dat is d sacrifice u have a make 2 keep ur job, till u get anoda one, den so be it. Remember all these meetings are 2wards d growth & devt of d coy. It is also 2 ensure d payment of ur salary.

When u leave, dis act of kindness is what u will be remembered 4. As employees, we shudnt always be looking 4 what 2 take, but also how we can contribute 2 show some appreciatn 2 some individuals who decided 2 take d risks we cudnt.

If I were in ur shoes, I won't see it as taking advantage, but my own contributn 2 d company.

I know some places where d staff come 2 work on Saturdays, yet no overtime payment & dey work with so much gladness of heart.

May God give u d wisdom 2 make d right choice, cos I can imagine his expression or how he will feel d moment he gets d msg, u automatically enter his black book.
It is well!

it might seem like he does not care or know that he is over using your bike/fuel, but a bigger reward may be around the corner.
I advise you continue the favour.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by bukatyne(f): 9:43am On Mar 07, 2017
GreenPlumes:
I have a very strong, brand-new bike. My employer has two cars. But whenever he wants to beat traffic on his way to a very important meeting or transaction, he would fuel my bike, and ask me to transport him.

Because of this, he feels his fuel is inside my bike, and would ask me anytime to take him out without refueling until whenever he thinks his fuel might have been exhausted. This is affecting me, as he uses more fuel than he buys, not to talk of wear and tear on, and depreciation of my bike.

Read this post over and over again....

dahmie2013:
Op, I will advice u don't allow ur employer get d msg. U're even lucky he is fuelling it, some won't even do dat. If dat is d sacrifice u have a make 2 keep ur job, till u get anoda one, den so be it. Remember all these meetings are 2wards d growth & devt of d coy. It is also 2 ensure d payment of ur salary.

When u leave, dis act of kindness is what u will be remembered 4. As employees, we shudnt always be looking 4 what 2 take, but also how we can contribute 2 show some appreciatn 2 some individuals who decided 2 take d risks we cudnt.

If I were in ur shoes, I won't see it as taking advantage, but my own contributn 2 d company.

I know some places where d staff come 2 work on Saturdays, yet no overtime payment & dey work with so much gladness of heart.

May God give u d wisdom 2 make d right choice, cos I can imagine his expression or how he will fill d moment he gets d msg, u automatically enter his black book.
It is well!

You are sowing a seed that will never die; this is how the Otedolas and Adenugas of this world became great. If that boss of yours is focused and becomes great, do you think he will forget his bike buddy?

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by lakes99: 9:47am On Mar 07, 2017
tellwisdom:
Somersault with him,maybe inside lagoon or river; but make sure you wear protection undecided

U are a clown

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Dayshow: 9:48am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!

Make e no be like say I no do the needful

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:51am On Mar 07, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
OP please flee from this advice!!!!

I agree with you.

With this kind of advice, no wonder Nigerians are being taken advantage of by fellow Nigerians and foreigners.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by lakes99: 9:58am On Mar 07, 2017
tellwisdom:

U are a clown
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by soulfood(m): 10:00am On Mar 07, 2017
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 07, 2017
GreenPlumes:

Buy less fuel, just enough when you need it. That way, he'd have to refuel for his use.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by chemystery: 10:34am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!
e be like seun dey give prize for anybody wey quote this post....Make me sef no carry last

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by babythug(f): 10:47am On Mar 07, 2017
Gentle2015:

Lovely! Best advice so far. Please OP, see this as your own contribution to the growth of the company. As you said, he only uses it when he only has very important meeting/transactions. This are still official assignment to get the company growing and also pays your salary. If you stop it, don't be surprised that he will get another bike and the struggle will still continue. You will be the one to regret at last because as time goes on you will begin to see yourself as an ungrateful fellow. Please be selfless, do it with joy and the almighty will reward you. Thank you

I don't even feel he should use his personal resources as contribution to the growth of the company. Extra hours should suffice and ensuring that tasks are carried out to the best of his ability in addition to being proactive and so on.

In saner climes employees don't use personal resources i.e. Vehicles, laptops etc to serve the company! It shouldn't be so. If there's an emergency and employee offers or is asked to use his bike or car that's different but not with the frequency that the OP has highlighted in his story.

I'm passionate about this topic today because a former employer "cheated" me in this regard but life is a learning experience. I mean that boss of mine would say be ready to respond to mails and calls 24hours. No problem he then expected the employees to provide thier own device inclusive of laptops and data for this purpose all under the pretext of " going above the expected for the good of the company" bla bla bla!
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by babythug(f): 10:51am On Mar 07, 2017
bukatyne:

Read this post over and over again....

You are sowing a seed that will never die; this is how the Otedolas and Adenugas of this world became great. If that boss of yours is focused and becomes great, do you think he will forget his bike buddy?

There is a high likelihood that he will. If the employer were a fair person in the first instance he will ensure that he fuels and provides a little extra towards maintaining the bike. But people like that tend to be users and he probably feels he's exercising his rights as " the employer"

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Mintek: 11:25am On Mar 07, 2017
FullDepth1:

Cheers!

Couldn't be better put.
Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by mctowel01: 12:03pm On Mar 07, 2017
GreenPlumes:
I have a very strong, brand-new bike. My employer has two cars. But whenever he wants to beat t
Maybe you can keep asking him for money for fuel constantly. Tell him the fuel gets finished fast, oil to change... etc. Common sense will tell him to find his way or pay for inconvenience when it causes too much quarell.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me by Elektra008(f): 12:29pm On Mar 07, 2017
I hope your boss is not a naira lander

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Power Of Numbers- By Oliver Tan- The True Story / A Friend Lost His Job: How To Future-proof Your Career! / Photos Of A Physically Challenged Vulcanizer In Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.