Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,496 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (83245 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:35am On Mar 23, 2010
It's likely that work would be completed on the plaza this week. I noticed it had been painted when I passed there last night.

We should not expect that any more serious work would be done on the alternate routes in Phase 1 and Oniru once the plaza is completed. I expect that these two estates will be walled off all the way to second roundabout to ensure that we all pass (and Pay as we GrOan ) through the plaza.

It seems, in line with the hope I expressed yesterday, that some preliminary work has started on the strecth between second roundabout and the third as I saw some sand and some heavy machinery near Ikate Elegushi. I think they intend to expand the stretch as I suggested yesterday.

If work can begin on that stretch immediately and they learnt and would put into practise some valuable lessons in traffic management and keeping to deadlines from the first roundabout experience, thereby easing traffic there, then MAYBE we would not mind paying toll wink

What are your thoughts?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AdornHomes(f): 3:55pm On Mar 23, 2010
In the last week or so, I have started noticing the work done at the Lekki Phase 1 Tollgate. Street lights have been mounted at the tollgate. There are working hard on the roads and paving stones around the tollgate.

They need to open more of the new tarred roads for easy access.

For the first time, travelling time from Ajah to CMS was 40 minutes. This is good for a Monday.

I heard that, Gov Fashola is coming to inspect in May 2010.

Good work!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AdornHomes(f): 3:59pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Johnie,

How much do you think that, this toll will be?

I am guessing N100 or N50. That will be a lot of revenue for the toll company.

I read somewhere that, approximately 45,000 cars go through the Lekki Epe Expressway.

So long as they maintain the road and open up new roads, we should pay.

Afterall, I used to pay for the toll on the M25.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:03pm On Mar 23, 2010
AdornHomes:

For the first time, travelling time from Ajah to CMS was 40 minutes. This is good for a Monday.

I heard that, Gov Fashola is coming to inspect in May 2010.

40 minutes? What time of the day was this?
Inspecting the road work or commissioning the toll plaza? I am more interested in him inspecting and monitoring the work.

AdornHomes:

How much do you think that, this toll will be?

I am guessing N100 or N50. That will be a lot of revenue for the toll company.

I don't have the faintest idea how much will be charged.

As long as they give us great service, I am willing to pay.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by orin1981(m): 11:11pm On Mar 23, 2010
already heard they will be charging 50 naira per private car.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 12:53am On Mar 24, 2010
orin1981:

already heard they will be charging 50 naira per private car.

How do you guys think this charge will be levied? If for example it is NGN 50, will it be "per pass" or "per day" for a given private car?

johnie:

I was worried that the thread had turned into a dialogue between myself and Megastu!

Worry not, Johnie. I am sure folks lurk around, read and enjoy your exchanges with Megastu (as I always do). It is just that some of us have no clue what is happening in that axis . . . diaspora, did I hear you say? . . . and that is even the more reason why such a thread is needed. Will gladly chip in whenever I can.

Kip on rockin!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:59am On Mar 24, 2010
I came across this piece this morning!

Fraud in the name of “toll collection” on Lekki-Epe expressway Written by Salami ‘Seyi Oderinde, Zack Okechukwu Maduka, Akhilele Eriamanto, Diepreye Omubor
Thursday, 18 March 2010 15:59

When we expressed our disenchantment on the Lekki-Epe Expressway expansion project in an advertorial in this Weekly (Island News) about three weeks ago, we were not ignorant of the fact that some people, especially the contractor handling the project, Messrs Lekki Concession Company (LCC) and its allied stakeholders would have taken us for some ‘disgruntled elements’ as commonly used in our country even where they are saying the obvious.   In any case, we make bold to state that we are indeed disgusted about everything concerning the so-called expansion project.  Rather than rise up and address all or some of the issues raised in our advertorial under reference, we are disappointed to see LCC re-affirming in the Island News of March 15, 2010, the need to commence toll collection in May 2010.  If we may ask, what is the urgency about toll collection in a 44-kilometer road, out of which only a 2-kilometer stretch has been completed?

It is laughable and inconsistent with global standard practice to hear that a road concessioning assignment with a life span of 30 years is already attracting toll collection when only 5% of work has been done.  LCC obviously knows that this is fraudulent because expectedly, the period from commencement to completion, which in this case, would have been from 2006 to 2009, should ordinarily be taken as gesticulation or ‘test-run’ period.  The toll collection would therefore, have started after completion and that is again, if there is even any need for it, given the social responsibility nature of the project on the part of Lagos State Government.  However, as a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) deal, it may be expedient to reason that LCC will device a means to recoup its investment but we hasten to conclude quite emphatically that erecting 3 toll plazas on a 44-kilometer road is nothing but a FRAUD.  And, for 30 years!  If anything, one toll plaza at a very strategic point that does not offer escape route would have been ideal.  Here again, our point has been re-emphasized that LCC did not appear to have a helicopter analysis of the entire project before embarking on it.  Otherwise, how can it explain the hardship and ‘holes’ it will create in motorists’ pockets by collecting fees from 3 toll plazas for 30 years.

Whilst we are not in any way fooled by LCC’s claim that the project nay toll plazas will help to “provide sustainable solutions to the challenges brought about by heavy traffic congestion along Lekki area”, we wish to align with the refined opinion of the Eti-Osa Heritage Group to the effect that “the proposal to increase the round-abouts along the road is a faulty concept in the road’s design.”  They further explained that it “contradicts the very essence of the road expansion as the presence of 3 toll plazas and about 10 round-abouts will obviously slow down, rather than accelerate vehicular movement.”  Eti-Osa Heritage Group is only a socio-cultural group and not a Construction Giant.  Then, it behoves us to begin to realize, though belatedly and unfortunately too, that this so-called Lekki-Epe expansion project is a FRAUD as we maintain that if 2 kilometers work, according to LCC has already gulped N5 billion, it is logical to conclude that the remaining  42 kilometers will cost a whooping sum of N105 billion and that is on the assumption that exchange rate remains the same and there are no variations in the bills of quantities. The warning in our previous advertorial still stands.  We are fine-tuning.  We will resist any hardship or difficulties that we are being deliberately subjected to by LCC.  The toll collection in May is unacceptable for now as it is unfair to all motorists on the Lekki-Epe expressway.  LCC must re-think now!

LEKKI-EPE EXPRESSWAY EXPANSION 
RIGHT NOW A CURSE! 

We have noted with dismay that the purported dividend of democracy as it concerns the expansion of the Lekki-Epe Expressway, which understandably would help ease the perennial traffic logjam, is now causing more problems than it had set out to address.  It is very disheartening to note the following:

1.  That a 44-kilometer road expansion programme which was originally scheduled to be completed within a period of three years from 2006 to 2009, still has not gone beyond a 2-kilometer  mark. The contractor, Lekki Concession Company (LCC) says the two kilometer work has cost  them N5billion.

2.  That, instead of the expansion of the road to further help open up the Lekki-Epe axis, it is rather helping to dwindle the economy of the axis as values of property are depreciating at an alarming rate whilst man-hours loss as a result of the horrendous traffic logjam leaves much to be desired. Let us say here loud and clear, businesses are collapsing.

3.  That health hazards such as cardiac arrest and hypertension are increasingly causing death of residents and commuters as a result of the daily stress they experience on the road, and this is better imagined than expressed.  The contractor is fiddling while homes burn! People are dying!

4.  That the occasional statements on ‘project progress’ by the construction company, LCC are appreciated but we make haste to state that LCC should concern itself with the speedy completion of work and not explanatory advertorials as there is no juxtaposition whatsoever between 2 kilometers completed in four years and the whole stretch of 44 kilometers that should have been completed by now.

5.  That we are of the impression that LCC either has issues of internal governance which are being concealed from the public and therefore, slow down pace of work; or that its claim of efficiency and capability is suspect as we will not accept the inexcusable reason of the absence of fund since the project abinitio ,is on a BOT (Build, Operate and Transfer) basis.

6.  That the recent statement by LCC that collection of tolls on the road will commence in May, would be challenged, because in the first place, there is no basis for a toll gate since the State Government,  also allegedly spent about N7.7 billion on a 2-kilometer road on Western Avenue on the mainland .

7.  That the current alternative diversion for commuters appears not to be well thought out before making it public as commuters now go through “hell”.

In the light of the foregoing, we would like LCC to categorically address the issues raised herein with a view to providing the road-map for the way forward because if we maintain the current pace of work, the expected date of completion of the remaining 42 kilometers will be the year 2024.

We also wish to warn that if these issues are not addressed, sooner than later, there will be a  series of action we will take including litigation, demonstrations  and  organized blockade of the entire road by all aggrieved residents and commuters.

For:  CONCERNED RESIDENTS
OF LEKKI & AJAH (COROLA)
1. Salami 'Seyi  Oderinde 2. Zack Okechukwu Maduka     
3. Akhilele Eriamantor 4. Diepreye Omubor
E-mail:corola20@yahoo.co.uk

Source:http://www.saharareporters.com/letters/your-letters/5573-fraud-in-the-name-of-toll-collection-on-lekki-epe-expressway.html
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by megastu(m): 1:09pm On Mar 24, 2010
Did you read the paid advertisement in thisday. The allegations really bothers me. Anyhow, we dont mind paying toll as long it is reasonable and it can put an end to the terrible traffic.
@poster that made Ajah to Marina in 40 minutes. I am sure you left home very late. That monday was really very hectic. It was like everybody hit the road by 5am. VGC was blocked at 5.20am.

These days i leave home by 7.30am and get to work by 9am.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2010
Megastu, great to have you back!

Which edition of This Day did the paid advert appear? I'd like to see it and paste it here.

You are right about everyone hitting the road at the same time.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by megastu(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2010
Pages 66 and 67 OF TODAY'S THISDAY NEWSPAPERS.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:58pm On Mar 24, 2010
Thanks.

I can't lay my hands on a copy of the paper (yet).

Anyone who can should kindly post it here.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 12:49pm On Mar 29, 2010
Looks like work has started on the stretch between second roundabout and the third.

I noticed that some trenches were dug at those points where the red stakes I mentioned earlier were placed. On close examination last week, I observed that the objective seems to be a relocation of some cables laid under the median of the road to the side of the road. Presumably these cables are phcn or communication cables.

I don't think the job is being handled by Hi-Tech/LCC. Looks like the owners of the cable(s) are the ones doing the job.

I hope the first roundabout will be opened this week. Afterall this is march ending grin
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by chenry: 2:06pm On Mar 29, 2010
This Lekki road is a total rip off on tax payers in the Lekki Ajah axis.

It is immoral to collect tolls for roads that are supposed to be a social service by govt. More so this is the only access road from VI/Ikoyi to that axis and their only connection to other parts of Lagos.

There are at least 100,000 tax paying employees in this area. Govt routinely deducts huge sums as PAYE from these category of people.

Now a Quick analysis. Using the house rent in Lekki area as a basis (generally btw 400thousand - 4million naira) and the fact that most people spend btw 10%-20% of their annual income as house rent. The average annual salary is about 4million Naira per annum. This translates to an annual tax of 800,000 per person to Lagos Govt. That is a whopping 80billion Naira to Lagos state Govt. Add probably an additional 80-100 billion for tenement rates, business place taxes and other forms of taxes businesses are subjected to in this area. So Lagos state govt. makes at least 150-200billion per annum from the Lekki-Ajah axis.

70-80 billion even if it is 200 billion will give us a modern 8 lane express complete with flyovers at 1st, 3rd, 4th and Ajah junctions. Govt can conveniently spread this work over two years using a reputable company like Julius Berger and not give it to an incompetent company like HI-TECH whose only competence appears to be in designing Toll gates!!

The future of people living in this area that already pay enormous taxes to Lagos state government is being mortgaged to Lekki Concession company for the next 30yrs.

LCC and Hitech are owned by Tinubu and his cronies. Tinubu arranged a life time pension for himself and children using his executive might as a governor.

Why should a company spend an estimated 300million dollars (45billion naira) and make for the next 30 years 800billion - 1 trillion naira from toll gates planned for 1st round about, Chenvron area, and Ajah. This is IMMORAL.

An estimated 70000 cars use these roads every day. This translates to 21 billion naira per annum and about 650billion over 30years that is if the toll is 100 Naira. but it looks like they are planning for between 150 Naira - 200 Naira for cars /jeeps. Which means they could make over 1 trillion Naira from that neighbourhood over 30yrs, i.e if they don't increase the rates over time. THIS IS IMMORAL.This expense translates to an additional burden of 296000 Naira per annum to Lekki residents, since this is the only Road in and Out of LEKKI.

Lekki-Ajah residents also have a RIGHT to the good things of FASHOLAS government. wE ARE Yet to see the impact of Fashola's govt. in Lekki-Ajah axis.

MR FASHOLA Please CANCEL THIS ILLEGAL CONTRACT With LEKKI CONCESSION Company and pay them OFF for the less than 5% work they've done so far and Mobilise Julius Berger to deliver the dividends of Democracy to us in the Lekki -Ajah Axis.

We pay our taxes and we expect it to be used to develope where we live also, and not other parts of Lagos , while we suffer.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
Interesting analysis.

Any more takers?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:21am On Mar 31, 2010
From today's edition of The Punch.

Collection of tolls on a section of the Lekki-Epe Expressway will soon commence once the concessionaire of the road, Lekki Concession Company, is able to obtain independent certification of the completion of the first six kilometres of the 50km road, which is scheduled to be completed in May.

This is coming on the heels of an announcement by LCC that the rebuilt and expanded Lekki Phase I Roundabout would be opened to traffic today (Wednesday). The roundabout had been closed to traffic to allow the company redesign it in line with the overall development plan for the road.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, LCC, Mr. Opuiyo Oforiokuma, said at a media forum on Tuesday, that the decision to start tolling the completed section of the road was taken in order to allow it recover part of the money it had already spent and since residents were already enjoying the benefits of the reconstructed road, whose total budget is about N50bn.

The six-kilometre Section I consists of the reconstructed six-lane carriageway, the ExxonMobil Bridge and the first of the three toll plazas, which is almost complete.

Though he did not disclose the fees that motorists would pay for using the road since the details were still being worked out with the Lagos State Government, Oforiokuma, however, said that they would be affordable, noting that tolls would be based on vehicle categories motor cycles, cars, SUVs, taxis/commercial buses, saloon cars, buses and heavy vehicles paying different rates.

He said that LCC had put in place discounts and price incentives to encourage users and reduce their burden. These include discounts for commercial buses, incentives for use of electronic payment methods and for bulk purchases and incentives for frequent users.

The payment methods, according to him, include SwiftPass contact with less cards, electronic eTag; cash and debit cards and cash payments.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003312292346
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:38am On Mar 31, 2010
^^^^

This news report seems to contradict what I thought I heard on the News at Ten on Channels TV last night.

I though they said tolling would not commence until the second toll plaza is completed. Unfortunatley the news item is not featured on Channel's website.

I wonder, did Silverbird carry the news at all?

I passed through the roundabout this morning. It has indeed been opened but I am not yet sure what impact it would have on traffic movement.

Contrary to the impression given in the report that section I has been completd and user are already enjoying the road, work was still going on at the Exxon Mobil bridge and some other parts of the road when I passed there last night and even this morning.

It is funny that the LCC website (http://www.lcc.com.ng) is not updated regularly to keep users abreast of the progress of work. I could not find any information on the opening of the roundabout when I visited the website this morning.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:02am On Mar 31, 2010
The report in Thisday (page 11) does not mention anything about tolling.

The report says that the completion of the entire expressway is "still targeted for completion by 2011."

It continues:
"Other sections that are fast approaching completion, the LCC boss said, were the expansion of the Exxon-Mobil bridge from four to six lanes, and the constrcution of new Toll Plaza, which will be known in future as "Admiralty Circle Plaza."

Oforiokuma also highlighted the ongoing constrcution of the new ramp bridge by Caverton Helicopters and Law School which will link Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue directly with Falomo Bridge."

I think this is a more accurate report though it sounds like a press statement from LCC.

I wonder where the Punch reporter was when the press briefing was going on.

The headline on the Punch report is "Motorists soon to pay tolls on Lekki-Epe Expressway" angry
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:07am On Mar 31, 2010
The report in Thisday (page 11) does not mention anything about tolling.

The report says that the completion of the entire expressway is "still targeted for completion by 2011."

It continues:
"Other sections that are fast approaching completion, the LCC boss said, were the expansion of the Exxon-Mobil bridge from four to six lanes, and the constrcution of new Toll Plaza, which will be known in future as "Admiralty Circle Plaza."

Oforiokuma also highlighted the ongoing constrcution of the new ramp bridge by Caverton Helicopters and Law School which will link Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue directly with Falomo Bridge."

I think this is a more accurate report though it sounds like a press statement from LCC.

I wonder where the Punch reporter was when the press briefing was going on.

The headline on the Punch report is "Motorists soon to pay tolls on Lekki-Epe Expressway" angry

These our journalists sef!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AdornHomes(f): 10:17am On Mar 31, 2010
@Johnie,

Keep d info coming!

Thx
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 9:47pm On Mar 31, 2010
@Johnnie

Do you have any progress pictures. i.e of the completed lekki phase 1 roundabout and what the completed tolling booths look like?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:52am On Apr 01, 2010
Sorry to disappoint you guys. The Punch reporter was right afterall. I apologise.

Silverbird TV eventually carried the news last night and lo and behold, LCC MD says tolling will commence very soon.

This one no be dem say. I see am with my korokoro eye and hear am with ,

He insists (and he said it with passion) that users have begun to enjoy the road. That the 30 year conecession period has started and the wear and tear of the road has begun.

When I passed through the first roundabout last night, the Phase 1 gate was still locked so users had to still turn at Amazon Oil thereby causing traffic jam between first round about and Amazon Oil.

This morning however, Phase 1 gate had been opened.

I am not sure if it is the impeding Easter Holidays, school children vacating, environmental sanitation on Thursdays or some other reason but the road was relatively free this morning even though I left my house 30 minutes later than usual.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see the real effect of the opening of the roundabout.

I must also report that quite some progress has been made at the Exxon Mobil bridge and that if they continue at the current pace, that portion may be completed over this weekend.

I also noticed last night that some work has begun immediately after the second roundabout to expand the lanes for traffic heading towards east (.e. Ajah).

Also, immediately after Chevron, they have started mobilising some of the resources to be used for the second toll plaza.

If all these are properly managed, I expect that within a very short time we would indeed begin to enjoy the road.

phuck_NL:

@Johnnie

Do you have any progress pictures. i.e of the completed lekki phase 1 roundabout and what the completed tolling booths look like?

I had considered providing photographs to back up my reports earlier but sorry but I don't have a driver so I am unable to drive and take the pictures.

With the many diversions within short distances, drivers with pent up emotions and expectant LASTMA officials, it would be big risk to take photographs while driving.

Anyone who is able to supply us photographs will be appreciated.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AdornHomes(f): 7:57am On Apr 01, 2010
Any news of how much they will charge for d toll yet?

It will be more expensive travelling to and from Lekki o!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:10am On Apr 01, 2010
johnie:

Though he did not disclose the fees that motorists would pay for using the road since the details were still being worked out with the Lagos State Government, Oforiokuma, however, said that they would be affordable, noting that tolls would be based on vehicle categories motor cycles, cars, SUVs, taxis/commercial buses, saloon cars, buses and heavy vehicles paying different rates.

He said that LCC had put in place discounts and price incentives to encourage users and reduce their burden. These include discounts for commercial buses, incentives for use of electronic payment methods and for bulk purchases and incentives for frequent users.

The payment methods, according to him, include SwiftPass contact with less cards, electronic eTag; cash and debit cards and cash payments.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003312292346
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 9:23am On Apr 01, 2010
^^^^^

LCC really thinks NIgerians are fools abi.
How can they say the toll prices are still being worked out. They are only "hoarding" it. The way everything is done in nigeria.
I bet the toll prices had been calculated since 2006 during inception of the contract. I mean on what basis, did they expect to make profit? They expect to get their investment "solely" on toll collection and they don't have any idea of what the price is expected to be? na lie.
They will just open that toll gbam one day and say hey, lagosians, toll is 100/200 naira. Start paying!!!!!!!
In a sensible country, the entire road will be constructed and people will be allowed to enjoy it for like 2yrs. When people see the difference, they won't even complain when tolls are included.

In this case, people have suffered throughout the construction of a meagre 2-6km road.
Now they want to use our money to build the remainder of the road.
If they want to use our money to fund the road, why should people keep paying tolls for 30yrs.
If they don't have money to fund the road, why is it a PPP then?

I seriously hope everyone will resist this toll now and in the future.
If everybody decides not to pay, there is nothing they can do. This is a democracy!!!!!!!!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:34am On Apr 01, 2010
This is from the Monday, 08 March 2010 edition of BusinessDay:

Private and commercial drivers along the Lekki/Epe Expressway currently undergoing construction, will begin to pay toll fees from next month, as the first phase of the road expansion project undertaken by Lekki Concession Company (LCC) Limited, is about to be completed.

Opuiyo Oforiokuma, managing director and chief executive officer (CEO) of LCC, told CityFile that the first phase of the road expansion and modernisation stretches from the Falomo end of the road, covering 0-6 kilometre of the first toll plaza up to the second round-about, is being completed.

According to Oforiokuma, work is in progress to actualise completion on the second section, including the toll plaza and from 6-15 kilometre distance after Eleganza Estate, is scheduled to be ready around November this year. Tolling at each of these plazas will take off after project certification by the independent engineer. Lekki-Epe Expressway toll plaza

On the mode of payment by motorists, the managing director said this could be carried out by electronic means or by cash. According to him, customers who prefer to use the electronic options will use the e-Tag or SwiftPass card. The e-Tag is a device that will be affixed to the vehicle windscreen, and will be obtainable after registering for customer account with LCC.

With this permit, and as long as, there is sufficient credit on the customer’s account, the driver will be allowed unlimited access through the toll plazas and will have exclusive use of the express lanes, since once their accounts carry sufficient credit, the barrier will open automatically to allow their vehicles have uninterrupted passage. On the other hand, SwiftPass is a contactless card that the customer can use to carry enough credit for a set amount of passages, even as the card balance can be topped up if needed. On approaching the toll gate, users of this card will have to stop momentarily in the lane in order to point the card at the card reader. If there is sufficient credit on the card, the barrier will automatically open to allow for vehicular accessibility.

Also, an engineer with the Hitech, the construction handling the project, told CityFile on Friday that finishing touches were being added to the toll plazas, and hopefully work on it would be completed before end of this month.

The toll plaza is located near the newly opened Oriental Hotel close to the lagoon flowing towards Falamo/Ikoyi. Lagos State government recently explained that the concessioning of the road under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) initiative was the best option since government, because of its limited resources, cannot undertake all of the developmental projects to enhance quality of life of the citizenry.

Source: http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9074%3Apayment-of-tolls-on-lekkiepe-expressway-begins-april&catid=154%3Acity-file&Itemid=248

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 11:17am On Apr 01, 2010
johnie:

According to Oforiokuma, work is in progress to actualise completion on the second section, including the toll plaza and from 6-15 kilometre distance after Eleganza Estate, is scheduled to be ready around November this year. Tolling at each of these plazas will take off after project certification by the independent engineer. Lekki-Epe Expressway toll plaza

Na today? Let's wait till then!

johnie:

On the mode of payment by motorists, the managing director said this could be carried out by electronic means or by cash. According to him, customers who prefer to use the electronic options will use the e-Tag or SwiftPass card. The e-Tag is a device that will be affixed to the vehicle windscreen, and will be obtainable after registering for customer account with LCC.

With this permit, and as long as, there is sufficient credit on the customer’s account, the driver will be allowed unlimited access through the toll plazas and will have exclusive use of the express lanes, since once their accounts carry sufficient credit, the barrier will open automatically to allow their vehicles have uninterrupted passage. On the other hand, SwiftPass is a contactless card that the customer can use to carry enough credit for a set amount of passages, even as the card balance can be topped up if needed. On approaching the toll gate, users of this card will have to stop momentarily in the lane in order to point the card at the card reader. If there is sufficient credit on the card, the barrier will automatically open to allow for vehicular accessibility.

Hmm

I wonder which option the bus operators will use?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 11:23am On Apr 01, 2010
I foresee a revocation of this PPP arrangement with the Lagos state govt bearing the legal ramifications.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^^
Can you elaborate? What are the legal ramifications?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 1:41pm On Apr 01, 2010
johnie:

^^^^
Can you elaborate? What are the legal ramifications?

If it happens, LASG would have to pay the financiers of LCC all their costs plust INTEREST. I suspect the interest would include a chunk of what they would have earned in profit for at least the first 2yrs. I am sure they must have signed a binding agreement before embarking on the project.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:51pm On Apr 01, 2010
johnie:

Lagos State government recently explained that the concessioning of the road under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) initiative was the best option since government, because of its limited resources, cannot undertake all of the developmental projects to enhance quality of life of the citizenry.

Still not clear.

If what happens, please.

Lagos State governemt is solidly behind the project.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 8:37pm On Apr 01, 2010
What i mean is that if the people decide to mass protest and refuse to let the tolling be a success i.e refuse to pay the tolls,
the LASG will have to "buy out" the contract as this is the only way for LCC to recoup their money.
I know people are not ready to pay for that toll. If they complete the entire stretch, maybe , but not until then.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:07am On Apr 02, 2010
You say if the people decide to protest.
I ask, which people?

1. I think okada riders will soon be banned from the highway. Anyone caught there will be bushmeat for those LASTMA guys.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Nairaland Contractors Lounge / Man In Only Towel At Ecobank ATM Withdrawing Money (Photo) / Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.