Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,162 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (83247 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:20am On Apr 22, 2010
discussion on the road going on on stv
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:26am On Apr 22, 2010
according to the indigenes invited to the programme, the road was originally constructed 27 years ago by Lateef Jakande.

According to them, the FG offered to construct the coastal road in 2006 but the LASG of Tinubu rejected the offer.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:20am On Apr 22, 2010
They claim that tolling is planned to commence on May 1st.

They complained that the Eti Osa LG is the most impoverished in the state given the substatial portion of land acquired by the state govt for various purposes.

They complained about the lack of various infrastcructure. For exmaple, no general hospital in the LG, lack of a single secondary school between the old Maroko and Sangotedo, a distance within which three toll plazas are planned.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by megastu(m): 12:06pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Jonnie,

I watched that programme oh. LCC will face a lot of opposition when they commence tolling. However, my thinking is that based on the amount they will collect on that road, they will do anything to silent any opposition to the tolling.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2010
all this tori without picshure. e no fair naaaaa
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:25pm On Apr 22, 2010
Looks like the protests have begun!

I saw some private and commercial vehicles with 'no to tolling' stickers on them in front of Ikota shopping complex this afternoon.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Sankay: 6:47pm On Apr 22, 2010
yes my broda!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:38pm On Apr 22, 2010
One of the respondents on STV's vox populi thinks govt is trying to 'smoke out' poor people from the axis!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:39pm On Apr 22, 2010
A respondent on STV's vox populi, Nigerians Speak, thinks the govt is trying to 'smoke out' poor people from the area.

If you can, monitor Silverbird Television (STV).
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 9:03pm On Apr 22, 2010
picshuressss. y this torture embarassed
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:57pm On Apr 28, 2010
Toll collection on the Lekki toll road will not begin on May 1, 2010, as widely speculated,  the concessionaire, Lekki Concession Company Limited (LCC),  has said.

Lekki Toll: Denies May 1 Collection Timeline
By Bennett Oghifo, 04.27.2010

The company’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Opuiyo Ofo-riokuma,  said yesterday that LCC did not give May 1, 2010 timeline for toll collection, explaining that tolling would not start until certain aspects of the road were delivered as specified in the agreement reached with the Lagos State Government in the 30-year concession.On the commencement of tolling, Oforiokuma stated:

"Be advised that while LCC has publicly communicated our expectations that tolling is likely to commence in May, LCC has not at anytime publicly communicated any specific date, e.g., 1st May, as some people have been claiming is the date that we will commence tolling.

" With 1st May barely six  days from now, I can categorically state that LCC will not be commencing tolling on 1st May."He further emphasised : "As we have already previously explained publicly, including through the media ,  LCC's entitlement to toll is governed by the achievement of defined milestones, and follows a structured process.
"This is in line with international norms and best practice for infrastructure projects such as ours. "He said when LCC's Construction Contractor, Hitech, substantially completes the works to LCC's satisfaction, they would then apply to the Independent Engineer for certification.

"The Independent Engineer is a reputable international engineering consultancy firm, with experience in infrastructure projects such as ours. Since certification is not automatic, the Independent Engineer will satisfy himself that the new road infrastructure is fit for purpose and safe for road users to use," he said.

Source: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=171940&printer_friendly=1
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:17pm On Apr 28, 2010
Where did the traffic go?

I left Lagos Island at 6 p.m. yesterday and got to Chevron Round About by 6.45 p.m!

The bottlenecks I experienced were caused by traffic heading toward VI from Lekki, particularly at the traffic lights at Falomo Bridge, 1004 and BJ Hotels. Those heading towards VI blocked our own lanes. The traffic from Chevron onwards was still there.

There was also a slight build up just after second round about caused by a social event at Ikate Elegushi. But this did not slow me down beyond 10 minutes.

This morning I passed Chevron at around 6.45 a.m. and got to Lagos Island by 7.30 a.m!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
What's your own experience like?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:35pm On Apr 28, 2010
X-2-X:

Johnie, kindly forward  to "Afroquest at Yahoo dot com", please ignore spaces in the email address. I will convert to a smaller file format (PNG?) and upload . . . that is if you are still having probs with your laptop.

Have a good weekend. Cheers

X-2-X, I sent some of the pictures to you as requested. Kindly resize and post (if possible). I already converted them to PNG but the size is still too large.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:35am On Apr 29, 2010
New bridge holds hope, relief for Ikoyi, Lekki residents

Earmarked for completion 2011
If Julius Berger Nigeria plc, contractor handling the Ikoyi-Lekki bridge across the Osborne Lagoon, will deliver within estimated timeframe of less than three years, residents and visitors to Lekki Scheme1 Housing Estate and Ikoyi on Lagos Island should by end of next year look forward to enjoying a smoother, shorter ride - connecting both areas, with less stress.

The bridge project awarded March 2009 by the Lagos State government, is conceived and partly designed as an alternative route meant to address the traffic problem associated with the area, and to shorten travel time between Ikoyi and Lekki as against what currently obtains, where motorists on a bad day (when traffic is hectic on Lekki-Epe Expressway) spend hours before reaching their destinations.

The 1358-metre bridge (length) is expected, on completion, to bridge the gap between the two high-brow Lagos areas - occupied largely by the rich and business class. It is being constructed across the lagoon flowing towards Osborne in Ikoyi and Lekki Scheme1 Housing Estate. The first phase of the project, which duration according to the contract terms, was between March and December 2009, and involved mappings, designing and soil tests, has been completed. Concrete pillars upon which the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge being constructed will rest.

Under the second phase, which is currently ongoing and scheduled to run from January to December 2010, the contractor is expected to give the 8.0mx2 carriageway (width) bridge a shape. Road works at the Ikoyi end, according to technical details made available to CityFile, is put at 338.7 and 311.5 at the Lekki end. The bridge is also designed to have a maximum of 3.5 percent vertical alignment and minimum radius of 350 metres horizontal alignment with 90 metres pylon height from water level. Additional facilities to be added on full completion are 2.3mx2 walkway, streetlights and cable ducts.

When CityFile visited the site this week, it was discovered that work was gradually in progress, as concrete pillars upon which the bridge would rest had almost gone half-way across the lagoon from the Lekki end. Special adviser to the Lagos State government on works and infrastructure, Ganiyu Johnson, appraising the project, says equipment and materials necessary to complete it within scheduled time have been fully mobilised by the contractor, and that government does not foresee any setback on the project.

To Johnson, whose office supervises the project, the bridge is another way the government is responding to the yearnings of the people for improved standard of living, as it is bound to make life a lot more comfortable for those expected to use it on completion, noting it is a way of addressing the problem of traffic on the Lekki axis.

Johnson, however, believes that beyond addressing the need of the residents, the project is also going to open a window of job opportunities to commercial bus drivers who will commute Lagosians visiting these high-brow settlements.

“It will enable the residents of Ikoyi, Lekki and the entire Island to reach their destinations much faster, and this is what governance is all about,” he states.

Source:http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9571:new-bridge-holds-hope-relief-for-ikoyi-lekki-residents&catid=154:city-file

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 10:46am On Apr 29, 2010
More pictures of ork on the link bridge

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2010
johnie:

X-2-X, I sent some of the pictures to you as requested. Kindly resize and post (if possible). I already converted them to PNG but the size is still too large.

Good job Johnie. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Folks, the pix below were graciously provided by Johnie. Phuck NL, the torture ends huh?

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2010
Thanks X-2-X!

Expect the remaining pictures but note that these pictures were taken about three weeks ago. Quite a lot has happened since then.

These two pictures are the approach to the toll plaza when you are heading towards Epe from V/I.

The building on the right in the first picture is the Palms Shopping Mall.

The building under conrtsuction on the left in the second picture is the extension of the Oriental Hotel. The closest building on the right is the Intercontinental Bank branch on the new road leading to the Palms Shopping Mall while the second one is Diamond Bank. You would observe that a wall has been erected in front of the Intercontinental Bank branch.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. They were taken from a car in motion on a road with a lot of "twists" and turns as a result of diversions.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:47am On Apr 30, 2010
I've been trying to post an interview with LCC's MD since yesterday. The posts are constantly deleted!

You may find it at:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201003081039.html

Quite instructive.

This is what he had to say about  the belief that LCC wants to force them to pay tolls, and that they will have no way to bypass your toll plazas if they don't want to pay:

"There will definitely be alternative routes around each of the three toll plazas,   

Perhaps people will only believe it when they see it

It is Lagos State Government's, and not LCC's, responsibility to construct the alternative routes; however, we are working together with government to ensure that the routes exist before each toll plaza goes live.

For example, the Oniru Market Road was constructed to provide an alternative route around the first toll plaza. I can also confirm that the tender process for the design and construction of the alternative route around the second toll plaza, which is located close to Chevron Roundabout and Eleganza Estate, is already ongoing."

On tolling commencing this year:

"Yes. The first road section, which I have already explained, covers the first toll plaza and Km 0-6 of the road, nearly up to the existing 2nd roundabout, should be ready around May, weather permitting. The second road section, including the toll plaza and Km 6-15 of the road, that's just after Eleganza Estate, should be ready around November. We will be entitled to commence tolling at each of those plazas after they have been certified as complete by the Independent Engineer, as I described earlier."

On the completion of the project:

", We kicked-off 2010 with some major obstacles that were previously in the way, but are now being successfully dealt with. For example, subcontractors appointed by PHCN are now relocating obstructive electricity poles and cables located mainly on the left-hand side, to new positions outside the Right of Way.

In addition, Lagos State Government has empowered LCC to assist it with making various access roads that they are responsible for, more motorable, and also to construct new alternative routes around the remaining toll plazas. These developments should mean that the works progress much faster this year than we saw in 2009, and also that we stay on track to complete the works up to Km 49.4, that is, the end of our Concession area, by the end of 2011."
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 11:02am On Apr 30, 2010
X-2-X, I've sent the remaining pictures. Please help in resizing.

Thanks.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:33pm On Apr 30, 2010
Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport
April 28, 2010 15:38, 1,498 views

By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Governor Babatunde Fashola is shopping for N73.3 billion to build the proposed Lagos International Airport and the proposed Lekki-Ikoyi bridge.

The first phase of the airport, to be built in Lekki will cost N43.3 billion while the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge will gulp N30 billion. The two projects, P.M.NEWS gathered, will be undertaken under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) initiative of the Lagos State Government.

The governor is already scouting for investors for the projects, which are meant to make Lagos world class attraction and a haven for tourism.

Director-General, Lagos State PPP Office, Mr. Ayo Gbeleyi disclosed that the airport would be provided with modern architectural design and ”is expected to render services to approximately five million passengers per annum.”

On the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge, the PPP boss said the bridge will link Lekki Phase One to Ikoyi across the lagoon and will decongest traffic on the Lekki-Epe Expressway

Source: http://thepmnews.com/2010/04/28/fashola-shops-for-n733b-for-airport

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Nairaland Contractors Lounge / Man In Only Towel At Ecobank ATM Withdrawing Money (Photo) / Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.