Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,983 members, 7,835,295 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? (9016 Views)

Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo / Latest : Formal President Obasanjo Has Officially Denounced His Christian Name / Youths Plan Nationwide Solidarity Rally In Favour Of Prof Osinbajo And Magu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by Oasis007(m): 8:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
oyinkinola:

...on the day of naming ceremony, can a pastor just come and name your yoruba name and go without christian name?
it is impossible

grin

Did you understand the Comment at all?! LOL!

I think you need to re-read it, cos we are on the same Page!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by FSBoperator: 8:08pm On Mar 11, 2017
oyinkinola:

...on the day of naming ceremony, can a pastor just come and name your yoruba name and go without christian name?
it is impossible

Yoruba naming ceremonies still follow their customs and not that of the Catholic Church which insists on giving a christian name.

When are you going to stop showing your lack of your own culture

Afonja

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by FSBoperator: 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Whats in a name? Why cant i practise Islam faith by simply answering as Oluyemi or Adesewa or Tokunbo or Akinfenwa? Why do I have to be a Jimoh or Fatai to approach my God? Same applies to the Michael and Andrew and Susan in Christianity.

Is Abeni not good enough, will God deny me heaven because I am Akanbi, not Williams?

Islam and catholiscm are the only religions that insist on taken up a suitable name to reflect your faith.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by ImperialYoruba: 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2017
oyinkinola:

it is impossible

It is possible. Parents select and name babies, not the pastor. Pastor job is to pray.

Ignorance has not left our spirit, and we have been opened to the global community for decades now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by FSBoperator: 8:12pm On Mar 11, 2017
Oasis007:

Ignorance - Ignorant

I'm done with you!
Thanks!

Illiterate
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by mich24(m): 8:12pm On Mar 11, 2017
ImperialYoruba:
......and speaking of names, I think Yorubas should be banned from giving muslim names to their children, period!

Yoruba damages muslim names:

Ramat - Ramota
Ibrahim - Buraimo
Hussein - Oseni
Hussaina - Osenatu
Atthir - Asiru
Hamid - Hamedi
Ahmed - Amedi
Zulqarnyn - Sulu

There should be global campaign against Yoruba giving muslim name to their children. Let them stil with ethnic Yoruba names, afterall their ethnic names are beautiful.

They can pronounce Alamu with no problem because its Yoruba name but when asked to pronounce Al Amin, which is almost the same, they twist it and make it into Lamina. Wtf!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 8:17pm On Mar 11, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Why do we need christian name or muslim name?

Why is our African name not good enough for us?
...why we need christian and muslim then!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by ImperialYoruba: 8:19pm On Mar 11, 2017
FSBoperator:

Islam and catholiscm are the only religions that insist on taken up a suitable name to reflect your faith.

There is nothing in Quran or Bible where God says you your name is an article of faith. Men make these nonsense to promote their culture and ideology above others. Its a tool for conquest.

Those who have been liberated should no longer self-subject themselves to the doctrines that stole their mind and spirit in the beginning, and especially when the ideal is not prescribed as a Holy injunction in the books credited as laws and decrees of Almighty God.

My friend, abeg make i comot for this topic. Una go make me begin preach this evening. grin

1 Like

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by ImperialYoruba: 8:21pm On Mar 11, 2017
oyinkinola:

...why we need christian and muslim then!

People must have faith. If you lack faith you self-denigrate and chip away at human dignity.
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by FSBoperator: 8:32pm On Mar 11, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

There is nothing in Quran or Bible where God says you your name is an article of faith. Men make these nonsense to promote their culture and ideology above others. Its a tool for conquest.

Those who have been liberated should no longer self-subject themselves to the doctrines that stole their mind and spirit in the beginning, and especially when the ideal is not prescribed as a Holy injunction in the books credited as laws and decrees of Almighty God.

My friend, abeg make i comot for this topic. Una go make me begin preach this evening. grin

Baptism ceremony of new born babies from where they are given christian and cannon names as practised by catholics is not contained in the Bible.

The Hadith(traditions) in Islam spell out clearly that Muslim converts must adopt Muslim names.

Mohammed was noted to have renamed a young man he adopted as his son after he converted to Islam.

So in these two religions (Islam and catholiscm) appropriate names must be taken
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 8:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

People must have faith. If you lack faith you self-denigrate and chip away at human dignity.
...but what is offensive in asking for muslim or christian name?
I know for sure that prof yemi osinbajo has christian name!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by AkinPhysicist: 8:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
Millions of Yoruba Christians don't have 'Christian' names - so ki ni big deal

1 Like

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by FSBoperator: 8:37pm On Mar 11, 2017
oyinkinola:

...but what is offensive in asking for muslim or christian name?
I know for sure that prof yemi osinbajo has christian name!

And how does that help anybody?

Obafemi Awolowo had a jewish name, Jeremiah but he didn't go about using it but preferred to be refered by his yoruba names only.
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 11, 2017
Oluwayemi Oluwaleke Osinbajo... That is his christian name...Oluwa na ni. if you mean Hebrew name... I doubt if he has one
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by Hallenjay: 9:04pm On Mar 11, 2017
oyinkinola:
On my way to work today I come accross some Ghanians, he greet me, hello Nigerian? I said fine! boldly and proudly! then;
He ask, what's the christian name of your VP, prof Yemi Osinbanjo?
Disapointedly I look up and down but no answer!
they laugh at me and go away!
pls help!
Oyinkinola
All he has is dat oluyemi osinbajo.... No English name.. We can gve him one now
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 11, 2017
ThinkSmarter:
I am a Christian but I bear my native Igbo name.
Christianity is all about accepting Christ Jesus as your Lord and Savior, living a Christ~like life ,getting baptised and becoming a new creature.
David, Solomon, Jacob are all tribal names of Hebrews before the advent of Christianity.
Same thing with Mohammed,fatima, Maryam, SALISU etc., they are all tribal names of Arabs while some re ARABIC version of Hebrew name.
You haven't answer op's question because I myself is eager to know.

1 Like

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by escapefromusa(f): 10:00pm On Mar 11, 2017
FSBoperator:

In as much as we have our political differences, I still admire your total allegiance to your race and culture.

It is these type of afonjas like the OP that will destroy yoruba heritage and culture as their only allegiance is to their Awusa and Arab Muslim masters.

This yoruba Muslims are the main reason I will never entertain any southern unity.

Get rid of your treacherous afonjas

grin IPOB, the only the word you guys can spell is "muslim, awusa shocked and north"

1 Like

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by Zetra(m): 10:25pm On Mar 11, 2017
I guess the Op is trying to ask for the English Nomenclature of VP.
The cause of all is "English Language" imposed by our colonial master.
If we had adopted pidgin as a National Language, the social media would have adjusted, and not calling our mother tongue "vernacular".
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 8:51am On Mar 12, 2017
Hallenjay:
...I don't, I know he surely bear that name!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 8:56am On Mar 12, 2017
FSBoperator:

And how does that help anybody?

Obafemi Awolowo had a jewish name, Jeremiah but he didn't go about using it but preferred to be refered by his yoruba names only.

....no, you want to tell me that, gov. Ayodele fayose, fani kayode, reno omokiri, late odumewu ojukwu didn't have christian name?
that can't be possible, even, if you are converted!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 9:00am On Mar 12, 2017
Zetra:
I guess the Op is trying to ask for the English Nomenclature of VP.
The cause of all is "English Language" imposed by our colonial master.
If we had adopted pidgin as a National Language, the social media would have adjusted, and not calling our mother tongue "vernacular".
...no VP didn't born in england!
even if VP is converted into christian, the first thing people ask is, his christian name!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 9:04am On Mar 12, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
Millions of Yoruba Christians don't have 'Christian' names - so ki ni big deal
...a very simple question, I was unable to answer and you said it's no big deal!

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 9:11am On Mar 12, 2017
FSBoperator:

In as much as we have our political differences, I still admire your total allegiance to your race and culture.

It is these type of afonjas like the OP that will destroy yoruba heritage and culture as their only allegiance is to their Awusa and Arab Muslim masters.

This yoruba Muslims are the main reason I will never entertain any southern unity.

Get rid of your treacherous afonjas
....do you know yoruba very well? do you know my sister is felicia and my uncle is james, my aunt is deborah!
keep away there!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by yashau(m): 9:22am On Mar 12, 2017
dragonking2:
Am not Igbo ..however is Bashiru a Yoruba or not? If yes why are Yoruba Christians not bearing the name?
Bashiru is a muslim name.
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 9:34am On Mar 12, 2017
yashau:
Bashiru is a muslim name.
...who tell you that,
confort sagotunde, elisabeth okunlola, debora akinola etc
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by 9jakool: 10:22am On Mar 12, 2017
oyinkinola:

....do you know yoruba very well? do you know my sister is felicia and my uncle is james, my aunt is deborah!
keep away there!

And Felicia is not a Christian name, but rather a Latin derived name from "felix" simply meaning happiness. Also James is an English name that is derived from the new testament lakobos in Greek, which was used to address Ya'aqov (Jacob). Deborah is a name from Hebrew meaning "bee." If you look carefully, many Christian names or bible names are just basic names without any deep etymology context. The religious value placed on the name is formed from the biblical character who carries the name. Many Yoruba names already have certain prefixes that are often dropped for the sake of simplicity such as "Oluwa." Must one have a English, Greek, Latin, or Hebrew derived names to have a Christian name?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by haffaze777(m): 10:31am On Mar 12, 2017
okuya:
U should b ashamed to call urself a yoruba, so u dont know that YEMI is a christian name OLUyemi

he is more Yoruba Dan u if u think Oluyemi to be Christian name

1 Like

Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by Adiola(f): 11:11am On Mar 12, 2017
when I tell Igbo's that Yoruba is divided into two namely YORUBA MUSLIM AND YORUBA CHRISTAIN my brother ll try to shut me up...see what Islam is doing to my tribe we Yoruba's are not in unity
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 11:43am On Mar 12, 2017
Hallenjay:
...no, we can give him!
he has his own.
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by oyinkinola: 11:45am On Mar 12, 2017
9jakool:

And Felicia is not a Christian name, but rather a Latin derived name from "felix" simply meaning happiness. Also James is an English name that is derived from the new testament lakobos in Greek, which was used to address Ya'aqov (Jacob). Deborah is a name from Hebrew meaning "bee." If you look carefully, many Christian names or bible names are just basic names without any deep etymology context. The religious value placed on the name is formed from the biblical character who carries the name. Many Yoruba names already have certain prefixes that are often dropped for the sake of simplicity such as "Oluwa." Must one have a English, Greek, Latin, or Hebrew derived names to have a Christian name?
.....I totally disagree, if you hear felicia or james you know am talking about christian!
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by dnawah(m): 11:49am On Mar 12, 2017
oyinkinola:
On my way to work today I come accross some Ghanians, he greet me, hello Nigerian? I said fine! boldly and proudly! then;
He ask, what's the christian name of your VP, prof Yemi Osinbanjo?
Disapointedly I look up and down but no answer!
they laugh at me and go away!
pls help!
Oyinkinola
DANIEL
Re: WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN NAME OF PROF YEMI OSINBAJO? by jamace(m): 11:49am On Mar 12, 2017
grin grin I have no answer to this simple question.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#TambuwalAt56: Aminu Tambuwal 'Silent Achiever' Celebrates His 56th Birthday / AFCON: Peter Obi Congratulates Super Eagles For Making It To The Final / Senate Re-invites Suspended SGF, Babachir Lawal For Questioning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.