Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,006 members, 7,835,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

"Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine (43800 Views)

Magu: Buhari Has Lost Control Of His Govt., Former Nigerian Leaders Say / Buhari Has Anaemia, Doctor Reveals -ads*4nairablog / Buhari Has Anaemia, Doctor Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by sarrki(m): 8:55am On Mar 12, 2017
FSBoperator:
They should double his feeding allowance in this year's budget to 500million naira.

The man is looking worse than a kirikiri inmate in this recession

E pain am

E pain am well well
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Augustusbest: 9:54am On Mar 12, 2017
photo of the medical doctor or ...
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 9:58am On Mar 12, 2017
Is anaemia a disease?

2 Likes

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by FSBoperator: 9:59am On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:
Is anaemia a disease?

Did the Prof say Buhari is suffering from a disease called Anaemia?
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by michoim(m): 10:01am On Mar 12, 2017
Good information
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by sunvick(m): 10:09am On Mar 12, 2017
Thats fake news.
If you are a registered Doctor in the UK, the Data and Privacy Act prevents organisations to release personal info of peoples health conditions to the public. You could even looae your license as a doctor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by UncleJudax(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2017
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by UncleJudax(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2017
Caseless:
Hmmm...

And Saharareporters said it was "crohn's disease" and prostate related. Wondering if they have details of the diagnosis or they're his doctors.

Me to SR...
Cancer was given up there as one of the possible causes of anaemia. And the stomach disturbance was also mentioned as one of the symptoms. So, they were not totally wrong.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by ntbeatz(m): 10:12am On Mar 12, 2017
Leopantro:
thank God it is not Malaria and Typhoid. the Prof knows anaemia very well; it is rare in Nigeria

if you do nor appreciate sarcasm, you will not understand what I wrote.

you wrote well jare my guy
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by mekadmiry(m): 10:13am On Mar 12, 2017
Caseless:
Hmmm...

And Saharareporters said it was "crohn's disease" and prostate related. Wondering if they have details of the diagnosis or they're his doctors.

Me to SR...
Saharareporters may be right.
Pls note that ANAEMIA is not a diagnosis.
Anaemia is just a symptom.
I don't even know why the Prof is saying this.... He is not part of the medical team managing the president, he's not Buhari's personal doctor & even if he has privileged info from his colleagues in London, he should not broadcast it here. #medicalethics
Thanks

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by d33types: 10:14am On Mar 12, 2017
GogetterMD:
No wonder Bubu had to travel abroad for treatment. I'm ashamed this man calls himself a professor of internal medicine. Anaemia is seldom a diagnosis on its own, and is usually secondary to something.
Even a medical student can make that mumu inference of his that he's suffering from anaemia since he had blood transfusion angry
I thought i was the only one that noticed too. A professor couldn't have made that nonsense mistake . it's a journalism error
In a separate analysis of the president’s health status yesterday, Professor Williams said it is imperative to know the possible causes of the anaemia.

He listed these as anaemia caused by self medication, anaemia associated with cancer or anaemia due to blood loss from self medication that “may affect the stomach and intestines as in aspirin toxicity.”

Even a med student knows that anemia is always secondary to a cause and the cause could be more than a thousand..

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by mekadmiry(m): 10:22am On Mar 12, 2017
jefdr001:

Haba chief, take it easy now. Babas problem is anaemia, but the question is from what? It could be cancer as evidenced by muscle wastage or drug related based on the president warning against self medication. Self medication can cause kidney failure, gi bleeding, liver failure etc, all of which can cause anaemia. So what is ur problem afterall. The mention of the word diagnosis? U r not even a prof. And btw Don't wash ur dirty linen in public.....very important as a Dr.
There are almost 100 causes of Anaemia
If the Prof doesn't have access to buhari to do some lab tests & treat him, then whatever he's saying here is guess work.
And moreover, why should a Prof of Medicine be disclosing or trying to disclose buhari's diagnosis on social media ? Is that what we were taught ?
Is he buhari's personal doctor ? Is he part of the medical team treaging him in London?

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Lexusgs430: 10:28am On Mar 12, 2017
Why can't he not be transfused in Nigeria, once his HB levels drops?
Abi nah only uk better blood dey? We better start importing barrel load of blood, as we dey import petrol (abi nah PMS)..... ........ ...
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by ItsJezzy(m): 10:33am On Mar 12, 2017
Too long... Didnt read to the end... grin grin
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by claremont(m): 10:35am On Mar 12, 2017
The only people who will believe this drivel are those who don't live in the UK.

There is no chance in hell for any medical professional registered in the UK to openly discuss the medical records of any patient. It's not only against medical ethics, it's also against the UK and EU laws on patient confidentiality. Any medical professional who violates laws on patient confidentiality can be removed from the register and barred from practising medicine in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by opribo(m): 10:35am On Mar 12, 2017
It is normal for old people to come down with all manner of diseases and illness. My concern is that the millions of tax payers money wasted daily to keep an unfit president alive when all this money could very well be channelled in meaningful venture if a healthy person was in charge. Anyway we will be battling with keep bubu in power at the expense of moving Nigeria forward.

This is what you get in a system where people who have nothing whatsoever to offer clamour for power. What a nation.

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by nkwuocha: 10:37am On Mar 12, 2017
How many sicknesses is this old man suffering from? This is indeed a bad time for the soon to be ex-president. Kpele
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by nelszx: 10:41am On Mar 12, 2017
Anaemia of what aetiology Sir?
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by jefdr001: 10:44am On Mar 12, 2017
mekadmiry:

There are almost 100 causes of Anaemia
If the Prof doesn't have access to buhari to do some lab tests & treat him, then whatever he's saying here is guess work.
And moreover, why should a Prof of Medicine be disclosing or trying to disclose buhari's diagnosis on social media ? Is that what we were taught ?
Is he buhari's personal doctor ? Is he part of the medical team treating him in London?

Well boss seems I'm the only one that read the profs post wella.
Prof was inferring possibly from pmb s statement that he was transfused. It's deductive reasoning. Maybe a journalist asked him a question and you know physicians, says a surgeon, and stuff moving.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by HardMirror(m): 10:48am On Mar 12, 2017
omenkaLives:
Hmmm. So anaemia is a secondary disease. Didn't know that. Thanks. smiley
But he is right. Anaemia is only secondary. Their are many diseases that anaemia is associated with and that is what the expert should be able to deduce not the obvious.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 12, 2017
Caseless:
Hmmm...

Me to SR...
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 12, 2017
Even a nurse can diagnose anemia.

I don't know why this old man is making anemia sound like a big deal.

He should hv told us the cause of Bihari s anemia then he wld hv made a little sense in this unnecessary long epistle.

BTW can't anemia be treated in Nigeria. Fools.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by AreaFada2: 10:50am On Mar 12, 2017
GogetterMD:
No wonder Bubu had to travel abroad for treatment. I'm ashamed this man calls himself a professor of internal medicine. Anaemia is seldom a diagnosis on its own, and is usually secondary to something.
Even a medical student can make that mumu inference of his that he's suffering from anaemia since he had blood transfusion angry
Actually the prof is said to be London-based. which surprises me even more. I have never heard of him & never seen any of his publications.

Should it surprise anyone that a 74 years old man has anaemia? Maybe a man more used to drinking milk, kunu/corn/millet based food and not actually cow meat?

Also, nobody mentions that Bubu's first daughter unfortunately died of sickle cell complications after childbirth.

Meaning Bubu would be a carrier. While it might not be significant in youth, stresses, malnutrition (includes eating the wrong food, one-sided food, not just hunger) old age, diseases like GI ulcers & other chronic diseases can make it become relevant.

Anaemia is merely a sign, not a diagnosis strictly speaking.

Anaemia of chronic disease is not uncommon in seniors over 70.

So the rumoured Crohn's disease can very well cause anaemia. Especially if the ileal or ileocolic type. Damage to the ileum impairs absorption of Vitamin B12, needed for Red blood cells. Gradual leakage of blood in the affected GI tract will also cause anaemia.

Anaemia from gradual blood loss causing iron deficiency would be microcytic anaemia & from Vit B12 deficiency would be the macrocytic type. Easy to differentiate under the microscope.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2017
A lot of people want to sound off to feel important.

Anaemia is not a symptom ,yes it is a diagnosis in this case without all the details the ICD 10 WHO diagnostic code is D64.9.
A symptom is something complained about by the patient whilst anaemia is a physical fact according to predetermined parameters.
Yes anaemia should have a cause generally but this may be unknown or unknowable at the time of diagnosing and diagnostication would allow for D64.9

It is always dangerous for doctors to speak to the press because their words may be reported incompletely or out of context but Buhari is a public figure and this kind of medical speculation is not inappropriate.

The professor said among other things
There is therefore a preliminary diagnosis of anaemia meaning insufficient blood in the circulation
"it is imperative to know the possible causes of the anaemia.The question that arises in the absence of information, which is understandable, is the cause of the anaemia.
Is it possible that his anaemia is drug induced or drug related and that investigations in London revealed this? We do not know. If this is true common pain relieving drugs like Panadol may cause kidney damage and give rise to anaemia for which he received transfusions."

Now we have a lot of young Turks puffed up with half knowledge thinking they know it all.
I am sure many of them have never heard of ICD-10.

In summary Buhari has Anaemia and IT IS A DIAGNOSIS . There is no law that says you must have ONLY ONE diagnosis.
Yes any sensible doctor would want to know of other diagnoses that are causing anaemia but the truth is this may be unknown or unknowable for some tine.In Buhari's case it is probably known. We now know one of his diagnoses and would like to know more. It is notewothy that he likely is a sickle cell trail carrier having lost a child to SS anaemia and that may be relevant in view of his rambling disclosure of "self medication"
The context is important : an interview with the press which are always likely to edit things and report their own version of things but I think the Prof was balanced,knowlegable and objective and much of the criticism I see here is egotistic and self serving

2 Likes

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by omenkaLives(m): 10:54am On Mar 12, 2017
HardMirror:

But he is right. Anaemia is only secondary. Their are many diseases that anaemia is associated with and that is what the expert should be able to deduce not the obvious.
I didn't mean that sarcastically bro. I was truly thanking him because I never thought anaemia is a secondary disease. Thought it could occur on its own, independently.

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by BankeSmalls(f): 10:57am On Mar 12, 2017
FSBoperator:
They should double his feeding allowance in this year's budget to 500million naira.

The man is looking worse than a kirikiri inmate in this recession

Even Nnamdi Kanu is looking like he is the landlord while buharry is the mai guard grin

3 Likes

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:01am On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:
Is anaemia a disease?
Is hypertension a disease? Is type 2 diabetes a disease? Is chronic headache a disease. Is vitiligo a disease? Is Eczema/dermatitis a disease?
Please define disease?
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by kachi7021(m): 11:04am On Mar 12, 2017
Instead of him to resign and take care of his health, he wants to die in power..continue ....dunno y our African leaders like holding on to power
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by pestrolus2002(m): 11:08am On Mar 12, 2017
GogetterMD:
Anaemia (low blood level)...Is baba not eating balance diet in also rock,
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by able20(m): 11:10am On Mar 12, 2017
kachi7021:
Instead of him to resign and take care of his health, he wants to die in power..continue ....dunno y our African leaders like holding on to power
Note that he has privately resigned. He is just a statue at Aso rock to satisfy some cabals. Osibanjo is the working President.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Smiles As He Shakes Makarfi, Olisa Metuh, Others / Driver Lies Under His Bus As VIO Officials Try To Impound His Car (photos) / Goodluck Jonathan At Oroghene Oghenejobo And Oluwafemi Ologun Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.