Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? (1980 Views)

Jerry Kumuyi, Pastor Kumuyi's Son Confesses About His Salvation / Can A Born Again Christian Lose His Salvation? / Charley Boy Testifies Of His Salvation At Christ Embassy Abuja Today(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by akin33(m): 1:47pm On Mar 12, 2017
I was under a particular bible study when a pastor asked a question " can a Christian lose his salvation?" I said yes. But pastors said NO. In Psalm 51;1-19, Especially;

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. This verses and many in the Bible made it clear that man can actually lose his salvation.

My fellow Christians, kindly throw more light to this

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by menxer: 2:00pm On Mar 12, 2017
Hhhhhmmmmm

Are you saying when an Apostle starts patronizing a "cheap" prostitute he has lost his salvation or the Holy Spirit has been taken from him?

I thought those things were free and can always be downloaded.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 2:07pm On Mar 12, 2017
Read your Bible very clearly..

Don't quote outta context

It Say's " Restore me to the JOY of my salvation..

My friend.. There's a joy in knowing that you are forever saved.. And the blood of Jesus keeps cleansing you from all sins.. Alleluia.. That Joy is the very essense of Christianity.. The peace that surpasses all understanding

It didn't say.. *restore unto me, my salvation..

Besides this was old covenant David..

Let's not focus on the possibility of losing our salvation.. Let's focus on Jesus.. And rest on His love for us.. Thank You Lord
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 2:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
akin33:
I was under a particular bible study when a pastor asked a question " can a Christian lose his salvation?" I said yes. But pastors said NO. In Psalm 51;1-19, Especially;

12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. This verses and many in the Bible made it clear that man can actually lose his salvation.

Read the above comment..God bless you brother
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by akin33(m): 2:23pm On Mar 12, 2017
if Holy Spirit departs someone's life, what has happenes to him? his salvation is still intact?
Before someone backslids, what happen to first?
Before David pray that prayer, what has happened to his life?
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by JideAmuGiaka: 2:40pm On Mar 12, 2017
ifex370:
Read your Bible very clearly..

Don't quote outta context

It Say's " Restore me to the JOY of my salvation..

My friend.. There's a joy in knowing that you are forever saved.. And the blood of Jesus keeps cleansing you from all sins.. Alleluia.. That Joy is the very essense of Christianity.. The peace that surpasses all understanding

It didn't say.. *restore unto me, my salvation..

Besides this was old covenant David..

Let's not focus on the possibility of losing our salvation.. Let's focus on Jesus.. And rest on His love for us.. Thank You Lord

You didn't answer the question.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 2:42pm On Mar 12, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

You didn't answer the question.

No he can't
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 2:43pm On Mar 12, 2017
akin33:
if Holy Spirit departs someone's life, what has happenes to him? his salvation is still intact?
Before someone backslids, what happen to first?
Before David pray that prayer, what has happened to his life?

And your New testament explicitly told you when you sin.. The Holy spirit.. Once received.. Can depart from you ba?
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by JideAmuGiaka: 2:50pm On Mar 12, 2017
ifex370:

No he can't
You mean a Christian cannot backslide?.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by JideAmuGiaka: 2:53pm On Mar 12, 2017
ifex370:

And your New testament explicitly told you when you sin.. The Holy spirit.. Once received.. Can depart from you ba?

Can the HOLLY spirit dwell in the heart of sinful man?.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

Can the HOLLY spirit dwell in the heart of sinful man?.

Don't ask me.. Ask Paul.. When he told the fornicating Corinthians in 1:Cor 6:9 Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself,

Therefore act right because you know A spirit sooo Holy lives in you
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

You mean a Christian cannot backslide?.

What do you call backslide?
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by luvmijeje(f): 5:10pm On Mar 12, 2017
John 3:16 says,
For God so love the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.
Did the verse say for God so love Christians? Did it say for God so love sinners? Did it say for God so love back sliders?

But it says for God so love the world. God's salvation is a done deal whether you know it or not, whether you want it or not. God can't take it back.

But the only way to access it is for you to believe in his son. Which means you have to be a true follower of Christ. You have to be obedient to him. You have forsake your life of sins.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by JideAmuGiaka: 5:23pm On Mar 12, 2017
ifex370:

Don't ask me.. Ask Paul.. When he told the fornicating Corinthians in 1:Cor 6:9 Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself,

Therefore act right because you know A spirit sooo Holy lives in you

He asked them to act righteously because Holly spirit lives in them, meaning that sin can make the Holly spirit to depart from them.

Read 1st Samuel 28:16.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by Splinz(m): 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
akin33:

Your pastor is wrong. Psalm 51 does not even remotely suggest that one can't lost his/her salvation, rather, it upholds that salvation can actually be lost.

It is so sad that people have converted the grace of God into a “license” to break the Law (Jude 1:4). This is because, merely thinking that salvation can't be lost is tantamount to living whatever life one desires, whether of righteousness or not, and still retain salvation. In other word, a sinner who continues in sin is saved. Paul asked a question: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound”? He answered: “By no means!” (Romans 6:1-2).

Now looking at Psalm 51, verse 11 shows that a Christian can be cast away and the Holy Spirit taken from such a person too, while the word “Restore” in verse 12 shows that David actually lost his salvation through sin, hence, the need of praying for its restoration. Yes, David prayed Psalm 51 to God after he went in to Bathsheba and also killed her husband (2 Samuel 11).

And lastly, listen: “It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away (backslide), to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace” (Hebrews 6:4-6).

Don't let anyone deceive you bro, salvation is not automatic. Little wonder then that Paul said “...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12).

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 12, 2017
Yes...a Christian can lose his/her salvation.
It's popoularly preached, "once saved, always saved".
That is lie from the enemy...and is deceiving many Christians.
The price of salvation has been paid through Jesus' blood on the cross. He has redeemed mankind and that cannot be reversed.
However, if one decides to continue deliberately living a sinful life, then he/she should not expect to enter the eternal Kingdom (Romans 6:1, Gal. 6:7, 1 Cor 6:9).
If it were as simple as accepting Christ with no conditions, then why did He die? We have to be obedient to His standards.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by akin33(m): 8:32pm On Mar 12, 2017
Splinz:

Your pastor is wrong. Psalm 51 does not even remotely suggest that one can't lost his/her salvation, rather, it upholds that salvation can actually be lost.

It is so sad that people have converted the grace of God into a “license” to break the Law (Jude 1:4). This is because, merely thinking that salvation can't be lost is tantamount to living whatever life one desires, whether of righteousness or not, and still retain salvation. In other word, a sinner who continues in sin is saved. Paul asked a question: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound”? He answered: “By no means!” (Romans 6:1-2).

Now looking at Psalm 51, verse 11 shows that a Christian can be cast away and the Holy Spirit taken from such a person too, while the word “Restore” in verse 12 shows that David actually lost his salvation through sin, hence, the need of praying for its restoration. Yes, David prayed Psalm 51 to God after he went in to Bathsheba and also killed her husband (2 Samuel 11).

And lastly, listen: “It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away (backslide), to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace” (Hebrews 6:4-6).

Don't let anyone deceive you bro, salvation is not automatic. Little wonder then that Paul said “...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12).
This is the raw truth of the gospel.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by akin33(m): 8:33pm On Mar 12, 2017
MZLady39:
The price of salvation has been paid through Jesus' blood on the cross. He has redeemed mankind and that cannot be reversed.
However, if one decides to continue deliberately living a sinful life, then he/she should not expect to enter the eternal Kingdom (Romans 6:1, Gal. 6:7, 1 Cor 6:9).
If it were as simple as accepting Christ with no conditions, then why did He die? We have to be obedient to His standards.
preach it sister. That is the true gospel.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by akin33(m): 8:41pm On Mar 12, 2017
when your conscience no longer condemning you over sin, you have lost your salvation and your inner man (Holy Ghost) has silence. This leads to backsliding. Do not be deceived, for he that stands, let hum take heed and lest he fall.
Note; it is your spirit the get born again not the flesh. The flesh house the Holy Spirit at the same time, the flesh can lead you to sin unless its been subdue.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ifex370(m): 11:02pm On Mar 12, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

He asked them to act righteously because Holly spirit lives in them, meaning that sin can make the Holly spirit to depart from them.

Read 1st Samuel 28:16.

Don't confuse law and Grace.. People under d time of Law weren't baptized with the Holy Spirit.. They only had short impartation.. Remembered what happened on the day of the Pentecost

Paul reminded them that the Holy Spirit is in them.. So the shouldn't continue in their nefarious acts.. Meaning they were already sinning
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by sonofmanj3(m): 11:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
He is the author of our eternal salvation we did not work for it first it's not ours it's the Lord who has sealed us with the Holy Spirit of promise so we can't loose it
http://truebelieversnow..com.ng/
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by MummyIMadeIt: 11:31pm On Mar 12, 2017
THE SOUL THAT SINNETH shall DIE...............hope you understand the words here!
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ichuka(m): 12:30am On Mar 13, 2017
MZLady39:
Hmmm!!
My Sis
We shouldn't mixup Eternal Life and the Kingdom of God.
One is purely of Grace,while the other demands work.
A Christain cannot lose his Salvation which is free of charge(a gift)
But he/she can be denial entry into the Kingdom of God.
The book of Mathew focus on the Kingdom,while the book of John is on Enternal Life mostly.
Let me give you an Analogy of both.
My surname is Chuka,I am Chuka because I was born a Chuka(that's liken to been Born Again).whatsoever I do,either good or bad am still a Chuka.
If I decide to work and become the LG Chiarman/Governor/President of Nigeria tomorrow which will be for 4years(That's like entering the Kingdom of God which will be for a 1000years Rev20:6-7)
Fact remains I am a Chuka whether I work or not.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 1:28am On Mar 13, 2017
[quote author=ichuka post=54532521]
Hmmm!!
My Sis
We shouldn't mixup Eternal Life and the Kingdom of God.
One is purely of Grace,while the other demands work.
A Christain cannot lose his Salvation which is free of charge(a gift)
But he/she can be denial entry into the Kingdom of God.
The book of Mathew focus on the Kingdom,while the book of John is on Enternal Life mostly.
Let me give you an Analogy of both.
My surname is Chuka,I am Chuka because I was born a Chuka(that's liken to been Born Again).whatsoever I do,either good or bad am still a Chuka.
If I decide to work and become the LG Chiarman/Governor/President of Nigeria tomorrow which will be for 4years(That's like entering the Kingdom of God which will be for a 1000years Rev20:6-7)
Fact remains I am a Chuka whether I work or not.

Hi Brother,
Nice to meet you. Ok....interesting way of putting it. II didn't know that the two gospels focused on those two aspects like that...will have to re-read that.
I thought the gift of salvation is eternal life (which is the kingdom of God--both in Heaven-1,000 yrs & in the New Jerusalem) referring to the Rev. scripture passage.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by ichuka(m): 2:32am On Mar 13, 2017
[quote author=MZLady39 post=54532945][/quote]
Hi Sis,great knowing u too.
Yes,the gift of Salvation is Enternal Life.but the Kingdom is for work.for a 100years Reign.after the reign every believer will be equal(those that qualify to reign with Christ and those disqualified)
Just like after 4years the president of Nigeria becomes a Norma citizen with others.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by JideAmuGiaka: 8:06am On Mar 13, 2017
ifex370:

Don't confuse law and Grace.. People under d time of Law weren't baptized with the Holy Spirit.. They only had short impartation.. Remembered what happened on the day of the Pentecost

Paul reminded them that the Holy Spirit is in them.. So the shouldn't continue in their nefarious acts.. Meaning they were already sinning

The counsel of Paul was to remind them of the impending danger of losing the Holly spirit. Paul knew that it is only sin that will make the Holy spirit to depart from them. One cannot be an armed robber and claim to posses the Holy spirit in him. Jesus told His disciples that it is expedient that He goes so that Holy spirit will come and teach and guide them in all things. The Holy spirit is a Teacher and a Guider.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by JideAmuGiaka: 8:12am On Mar 13, 2017
sonofmanj3:
He is the author of our eternal salvation we did not work for it first it's not ours it's the Lord who has sealed us with the Holy Spirit of promise so we can't loose it
http://truebelieversnow..com.ng/

Let us not be confused with the word 'lose', I think what op was trying to ask is if it is possible for a Christian to backslide.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by akin33(m): 11:28am On Mar 13, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

Let us not be confused with the word 'lose', I think what op was trying to ask is if it is possible for a Christian to backslide.
NO. that is the right phrase. Do not change the topic please.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 13, 2017
ichuka:

Hi Sis,great knowing u too.
Yes,the gift of Salvation is Enternal Life.but the Kingdom is for work.for a 100years Reign.after the reign every believer will be equal(those that qualify to reign with Christ and those disqualified)
Just like after 4years the president of Nigeria becomes a Norma citizen with others.

Welll......ummmm.....I've gotta disagree with you on all points (except the Nigerian part--which I'm sure you would know since you are, I'm presuming a citizen). But we'll take it up later I guess...not right now.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 13, 2017
Akin33,
Received...will respond a little later.
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by enshy: 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2017
MZLady39:
Sister In Christ/Splinz, remember we have been warned in scriptures not to give heed to every wind of doctrine.
My dears, you have the truth, dont give thoughts to false preachers!
The Bible commands that we confront and shut them up!
If any man or an angel from heaven teaches any other gospel other than these you have both posted, let him be accursed! Amen!!
Re: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 13, 2017
enshy:

Sister In Christ/Splinz, remember we have been warned in scriptures not to give heed to every wind of doctrine.
My dears, you have the truth, dont give thoughts to false preachers!
The Bible commands that we confront and shut them up!
If any man or an angel from heaven teaches any other gospel other than these you have both posted, let him be accursed! Amen!!

Hi Bro. Enshy,
Just for clarification purposes, (and not to be rude), but please address Bro. Splinz' post separately from mine cause the way you addressed us made it seem like we are the same person.
We are not. I am a female...he is a male.
I use only 1 activated moniker on this site.
Okay..now back to the post. Brother, you know I love you...but there's a way to address situations. This is where the balance comes in. We have to be careful not to err on the side of fanaticism...nor be too nonchalant. Examples: The Pharisees and Saducees.
I answered the OP's question believing that he was sincere and I still feel that way.
Now who decides to post on the thread...I can't control that. We have to truly use discernment on who's being deliberately false (to only cause confusion) and who's sincerely searching but is in error. We have to be very careful "dismissing" people as lost hopes.
Some brethren use more scriptures (which is the way to go) than others...but it's okay to have a decent discussion (without name-calling, ridicule and ignorant remarks) to get a point across. Lots of information is put out. People have to pray fervently so that the Holy Spirit will convict and guide into all truth. I'm not ready to give up on folks completely...cause there are some sincere and searching folks out there.
Now if discussions start getting messy and vile, I move on. I'm not for the argumentation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does It Really Mean To Be Born Again? / Should Christians Be Involved In Boxing? / Jesus: Re-incarnation Of Adam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.