Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? (7862 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Why Can't Nigerians Teach Their Children Their Language? / Biafran Website, A Nation Falls Whenever They Lose Their Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 12:16am On Dec 19, 2009
thats why there are certain threads for that.
when talking in the midst of others, thats very rude.
but like i said, i dont care, thats why i never brought it up.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 1:33am On Dec 19, 2009
I've heard about this a few times.

Then again, Yoruba's aren't the only ones who do it.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by brooknam99: 1:47am On Dec 19, 2009
The amaka,u always claim to "ignore" these kinda threads,so why the hell are u always in the middle of the fray?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 1:52am On Dec 19, 2009
i do ignore these threads. this thread is not a TRIBALISTIC thread.
but YOU just like to turn everything into that.
anytime one tribe is mentioned does not make it a tribalistic thread.
and im always in a "fray" with YOU because YOURE always looking for me and bugging out.
and usually when im in a "fray" its not over TRIBE, its over other things.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by honeric01(m): 1:57am On Dec 19, 2009
yes, Yoruba people (most of them) even here in Nigeria are fond of that attitude, they start speaking this their ngatti ngatti and once they know you don't understand their language, then you are in for a ride, they will now increase their volume, make life miserable for you. infact if you tell them you are not Yoruba, you are automatically tagged as an omo ibo, even while you try to let them know you are not an igbo guy, they still won't accept, you hear some say, Igbo no ni (it's still igbo), sometimes, i just look at them, shake my head and just pretend as if i don't understand the language.

FYI: I speak Yoruba more than alot of yorubas but i rather peshi first, access the environment before letting them know i can speak it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nchara: 2:10am On Dec 19, 2009
honeric01:

Igbo no ni (it's still igbo),
Buuuuuhahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by 0hsisi: 2:11am On Dec 19, 2009
I had a similar thread last year on this same issue
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AndreUweh(m): 2:13am On Dec 19, 2009
Shame to those men who insult women in this thread.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by brooknam99: 2:23am On Dec 19, 2009
@the amaka, u argued wit them then lata got indoctrinated ,right?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 2:25am On Dec 19, 2009
no, i just decided to ignore them.
its no use.
the more attention you give them the more theyll post.
so i dont even care anymore.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AndreUweh(m): 2:27am On Dec 19, 2009
Shame x2 to those shameless men that goes about insulting women on Nairaland as if they do not have mothers. It is a shame as it is shameful.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 3:31am On Dec 19, 2009
ibkaye:

I've heard about this a few times.

Then again, Yoruba's aren't the only ones who do it.
True but they do it more followed by igbos.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by ijawgirl: 4:13am On Dec 19, 2009
They can gossip about you in that very moment and you won't know.

I agree with Michelin. This is one aspect I don't like about Yoruba girls. Well, I know when they start gossiping about me or the non yoruba person beside them. I just walk the eff out. bldy disgusting!
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 4:21am On Dec 19, 2009
you can always tell when someone is gossiping about someone cause they usually change their town and have a certain expression on their faces.
ive seen enough of that in my lifetime to know this.
hm!
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by sjeezy8: 4:24am On Dec 19, 2009
Its not that hard to not talk to yoruba girls simple. LMFAO REALLY
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 6:06am On Dec 19, 2009
It's not peculiar to Yoruba folks alone. My Spanish friends do it all the time when I'm among them. I don't really care if it's just a few sentences(that's the only time I'd be caught doing that), y'know some things are said better in one's language.  tongue
But umm, if they're holding a whole CONVERSATION in their language while I'm just sitting there watching then yeah, I would consider it rude.

I remember they did it once last week while we were eating and some Spanish guy came to our table and one of my girls was going on and on with him lol it was fun watching but I did sarcastically make it known that they were being rude. But she did apologize and explained that there aren't many Hispanics on campus so it is exciting to find one of your people of the opposite sex on campus. And I understand how she feels, my school is diverse but still at least 70% white. Imagine, I haven't seen any Nigerian dudes on campus.  embarassed
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by TexMex: 7:18am On Dec 19, 2009
It is very depressing that a supposed thread in correcting basic social interaction etiquette has descended into ethnic bashing. First off, I 'd say MICHELIN was wrong in making this an issue with the YORUBA. Evidently, she gets to be in the circle of the YORUBA that often, hence her attempt at generalization. I was invited for dinner at an IGBO friend's residence some months back. The conversation at the dinner table, suddenly became IGBO. I kept quiet, finished my meal and politely told my hosts it's anti-social to be speaking a language an invited guest does not understand. They accepted their wrong and we moved on from their.

Speaking of native language in a foreign land (or in the midst of non-speakers) is not peculiar to the YORUBA. Like many here have pointed out, it cuts across ethnic groups and boundaries. Victims should learn to be understanding, and also take the time to correct the speakers. Some do it without thinking. Perhaps some things are better expressed in their native language.

And MICHELIN, please don't indulge in ethnic battles. It does you no good and only breeds ethnic tension and mutual distrust. You are a MOD and should be a role model to the several teens on this forum! If someone tries to tempt you into coming out with your fangs, keep your cool and let it pass. Don't make sweeping generalizations about a people and their beliefs.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 19, 2009
TexMex:

It is very depressing that a supposed thread in correcting basic social interaction etiquette has descended into ethnic bashing. First off, I 'd say MICHELIN was wrong in making this an issue with the YORUBA. Evidently, she gets to be in the circle of the YORUBA that often, hence her attempt at generalization. I was invited for dinner at an IGBO friend's residence some months back. The conversation at the dinner table, suddenly became IGBO. I kept quiet, finished my meal and politely told my hosts it's anti-social to be speaking a language an invited guest does not understand. They accepted their wrong and we moved on from their.

Speaking of native language in a foreign land (or in the midst of non-speakers) is not peculiar to the YORUBA. Like many here have pointed out, it cuts across ethnic groups and boundaries. Victims should learn to be understanding, and also take the time to correct the speakers. Some do it without thinking. Perhaps some things are better expressed in their native language.

And MICHELIN, please don't indulge in ethnic battles. It does you no good and only breeds ethnic tension and mutual distrust. You are a MOD and should be a role model to the several teens on this forum! If someone tries to tempt you into coming out with your fangs, keep your cool and let it pass. Don't make sweeping generalizations about a people and their beliefs.

Thank you and I apologize for all the noise and stuff. tongue
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 7:27am On Dec 19, 2009
I swear if something happens to me, it'd be because of you guys. I'm dying. grin grin grin

And my vacation begins today!! Loving it already. tongue
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by platinumnk(f): 7:55am On Dec 19, 2009
I would say due to the masssive interruption of regular english threads , i have learned quite a few yoruba insults grin grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 19, 2009
platinumnk:

I would say due to the masssive interruption of regular english threads , i have learned quite a few yoruba insults grin grin

Nor mind them. This thread was meant to bring their attention to an issue and they only ended up confirming all the allegations.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by honeric01(m): 10:31am On Dec 19, 2009
Nchara

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language?
« #46 on: Today at 02:10:17 »

Quote from: honeric01 on Today at 01:57:50
Igbo no ni (it's still igbo),
Buuuuuhahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Abi no be so dem dey talk am? dem nbatti nbatti grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2009
@the issue of Yorubas, have any of you tried to tell any of them how you feel when they do this, or correct them etc?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 19, 2009
ibkaye:

@the issue of Yorubas, have any of you tried to tell any of them how you feel when they do this, or correct them etc?

I did and as someone has already said here, they think it is your fault you don't understand yoruba. Make them dey Yoruba Yoruba. Me sef go dey rock Esan with my fellow in their midst.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by dapsycool(m): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2009
All Yoruba haters will kick bucket very soon, dont touch it!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:04pm On Dec 19, 2009
So people should now be apologetic speakers of their language?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by asha80(m): 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2009
^^^^i do not think you understand the context.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 6:17pm On Dec 19, 2009
i was gonna stay out of this but i just have to make a comment.
@brooknam
werent you the same person that said i was a tribalist because i only got on you and ignored the "tribalisitic" comments that were being made by igbo tribalists? huh??
but ALLLLLLLLL those comments tpia. made against Edo/Bini people you said nothing but to egg it on.
tpia. is a tribalist, i thought you despised them?  undecided or is it cause she's yoruba that you let it slide? HMM NOW IM REALLY STARTING TO QUESTION YOUR IDENTITY.
[size=30pt]HYPOCRISY AT ITS HIGHEST ORDER!![/size]
dont you dare tell me that im a tribalist because i choose to ignore tribal statements and deal with clowns like you that dont know your right from your left.
hmm hmm mmmmmmmm.
you see?
ALLLLLLL those comments tpia. made, you didnt do anything but to sit down and watch.
and i know you have been following this thread and you saw every single word she wrote. where were your second grade insults then? huh??
you despise tribalists right? so why are you letting her get away with it?

[size=30pt]THE ORIGINAL PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD WAS NOT TRIBALISTIC, BUT YOU KNOW THERE WILL ALWAYS BE THOSE PEOPLE THAT WILL TURN IT INTO THAT. IF WHAT MICHELIN SAID WAS NOT TRUE, THEN GO AHEAD AND PROVE HER OTHERWISE. STOP MAKING YOURSELVES LOOK GUILTY BY MAKING AN ARSE OUT OF YOURSELVES.[/size]

every single one of your posts is about tribe. the more you scream from now until the next 5 years, you still arent making any sense here.
Aloy as far as im concerned has never been a tribalist. he just points out RIGHT FROM WRONG. if a yoruba is doing something wrong, he will say it!! why should he have the fear of being called a tribalist to the point where he cant speak the truth? the guy is always 100% real about his shizz. and no its not about tribe, he just calls it like he sees it.
there have been plenty of times where he has called an igbo out on their stuff. does that then make him a tribalist against igbos? huh?
so dont get Aloy messed up.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 6:19pm On Dec 19, 2009
Before anyone comes out and say our Culture Mod is a tribalist, let me clarify that yes I'd rather not mix with ignorant yorubas, especially the ones that grew up in Nigeria.

this sounds pretty tribalistic to me.
why ignorant yorubas? anybody can be ignorant no matter what ethnicity.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 6:20pm On Dec 19, 2009
oyinda.:

this sounds pretty tribalistic to me.
why ignorant yorubas? anybody can be ignorant no matter what ethnicity.
because im pretty sure she knew the yorubas would get all sensitive to a topic like this (it being about yorubas after all).
she was right.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 6:26pm On Dec 19, 2009
Aloy is an under-cover "tribalist".

Gosh, I'm even tired of using the word, tribalist on this nairaland. It doesn't even make sense.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by tboy1(m): 6:33pm On Dec 19, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

because im pretty sure she knew the yorubas would get all sensitive to a topic like this (it being about yorubas after all).
she was right.
sorry miss but u aint making no sense
michelin ws just doin wat she does on some fridays - create silly thread
She knew d reaction she will get once she creates this thread and im sure shes lovin the attention

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? / Distasteful Dressing By Ghanaian Women In Public (PHOTO) / Mixed Tribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.