Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,922 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? (7861 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Why Can't Nigerians Teach Their Children Their Language? / Biafran Website, A Nation Falls Whenever They Lose Their Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nchara: 6:41pm On Dec 19, 2009
Nor mind them. This thread was meant to bring their attention to an issue and they only ended up confirming all the allegations.

Well said. They cannot eat their cake and have it. I knew the enormity of the problem when 3 Yoruba dudes chose to walk out of a pan Nigerian meeting rather than stop using Yoruba language in extra-Yoruba meetings
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 6:42pm On Dec 19, 2009
chiogo:

Aloy is an under-cover "tribalist".

Gosh, I'm even tired of using the word, tribalist on this nairaland. It doesn't even make sense.
Yes, I am an under cover tribalist against your tribalistic yansh. Fool.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 6:44pm On Dec 19, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

because im pretty sure she knew the yorubas would get all sensitive to a topic like this (it being about yorubas after all).
she was right.

she was admitting that it was tribalistic. read this in her post: "let me clarify that yes"
and of course it's natural to react to a sensitive subject like this.

I mean really, her point doesn't apply to language only. it also applies to all forms of culture. If you decide you want to be buddy buddy with a bunch of soccer players for example, if you don't understand soccer or like soccer, you will not get along with the players. they will talk about things you will feel left out of. does that mean that they should always talk about what you like just because they want to please you? NO.
you are the one who will have to leave and find people you feel more comfortable with. or better still, if you have no other friends, you learn to listen to them talk about soccer. or explain to them that you don't understand what they're saying or that you feel left out,
and if they are nice enough, they will listen to you and change their subject once in a while to make you feel included.

so my suggestion is for michelin to go and find ishan girls or other people she feels more connected with.  because the yoruba girls definitely will not quit speaking their language just because they want to accommodate one person.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 6:48pm On Dec 19, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Yes, I am an under cover tribalist against your tribalistic yansh. Fool.
LOL  embarassed Sorry to get your panties in a bunch but you can't fool me.  wink

Brooknam, you two are obsessed with each other.  lipsrsealed
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 7:08pm On Dec 19, 2009
You people are just giving yourselves unnecessary heart attacks.
WTF? It's just Nairaland, jeez!!!  grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 7:17pm On Dec 19, 2009
chiogo:

LOL  embarassed Sorry to get your panties in a bunch but you can't fool me.  wink

Brooknam, you two are obsessed with each other.  lipsrsealed

What do I care what a dime a dozen crack head like you think about me?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Uche2nna(m): 7:18pm On Dec 19, 2009
chiogo:

You people are just giving yourselves unnecessary heart attacks.
WTF? It's just Nairaland, jeez!!!  grin

I used to say that before until I found out that NL is more like a way of life for most posters. Part and parcel of their normal lives.

People do take $hit way too seriously on here  grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 7:20pm On Dec 19, 2009
Uche2nna:

I used to say that before until I found out that NL is more like a way of life for most posters. Part and parcel of their normal lives.

People do take $hit way too seriously on here  grin

LOL Na so we see am oo. Such a sad way to live. embarassed grin

Aloy, it shall be well. cry
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2009
At the beginning of the topic i wrote a disclaimer and although it may be percieved as tribalistic, I think I have to explain one or two things. Here in Italy we have just the first and second generation. You'll hardly find anyone whose grandparents lived in Italy and gave birth to their parents here.

Well our parents are the first generation, while we the children are the second. But among the children we have those who were brought here and those who were born here. I was brought to Italy when I was 10 years old and although I had lived in Lagos the previous ywo years I didn't learn a word of yoruba.

Both at home and at school we were forced to speak good English and my struggle to have good skills made me say "Did I met you here?" while fighting for my right to swing. grin

The point is children who were born here are pretty much different. Let me precise they all speak yoruba fluently. That's what they speak at home and sometimes it gets in the way of their English and Italian. But when they are with other children or teens or young adults even of the same tribe they speak Italian, so there is no problem interacting with them.

Those who grew up in Nigeria and came here subsequently have a problem with intregration. It seems there is a fight to establish their cultural identity at all means without regards for others who are there and that's why I labelled them as ignorant. I am not against using a yoruba term here and there when it fits more in that sentence or context (I also use Italian words when speaking English) but forming a clique of only yorubas when you know someone is not understanding what you are saying is plain rude.

Brooknam mentioned the case of 18 yorubas and 1 Esan. I think at least 1 of these people will have the courtesy to conversate with me on a ptivate level or translate so that I can understand. Even though i can't speak yoruba, i can still contribute with my English and pidgin. Speaking your native language altogether when an outsider is around is plain rude and it is clearly an intention to isolate you. Reason why I have decided to isolate myself first, but the problem is still there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by sentimentalsoul(m): 8:59pm On Dec 19, 2009
well they are proud wit their lang
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 19, 2009
I am also proud of my native language and I am proud of the fact that I can communicate in different languages (not just in Esan). These yorubas should understand that you are not less yoruba if for once you speak English/Pidgin when an outsider is among you.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by brooknam99: 9:41pm On Dec 19, 2009
@michelen:babes I DID NOT MENTION ANYTHING LIKE 18 YORUBAS and 1 ESAN!!!! When I mentioned the 18 people scenario I made it clear I was speakn about latinos/latinas,u know, mi gente!!!how on earth will I ever be in the midst of that much yorubas at the same time?I used that analogy to explain that, WE,LATINOS,also catch some flak when we speak in our native tongue. Ps:I thot the thread was closed.how did it become open again all of a sudden?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2009
brooknam99:

@michelen:babes I DID NOT MENTION ANYTHING LIKE 18 YORUBAS and 1 ESAN!!!! When I mentioned the 18 people scenario I made it clear I was speakn about latinos/latinas,u know, mi gente!!!how on earth will I ever be in the midst of that much yorubas at the same time?I used that analogy to explain that, WE,LATINOS,also catch some flak when we speak in our native tongue. Ps:I thot the thread was closed.how did it become open again all of a sudden?

Sorry my bad. Anyways that's the same scenarios. You are not denying that even the Latinos are fund of doing it. Do you agree it is rude? If one of you invited the non latino person, don't you think it is unappriopriate to bring him to a clique where he is not "welcomed"?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by mamagee3(f): 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2009
Who are the yorubas and what is their language? angry
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Dec 19, 2009
Google is your friend.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by brooknam99: 10:18pm On Dec 19, 2009
@michelin:Hun,I do not think its rude in any way!evn tho,when I'm spkn with friends or family, I find that I catch myself as soon as I c dat I'm speakn spanish when there's som1 that don't understand it in our midst!23 yrs,I've heard people speak ibo around me and I don't understand jack,same with yourbas,I don't care!just knw I'll give them the 'aprender espanyol' look when I'm with my own people and they act all upset dat they don't understnd wut we yappn about! I actually agree with u about the nigerians that came here as adults and the ones that were born here or grew up here.like u said:too much cultural differences!the ones that grew up in africa,like NCHARA,MEKUSSXx,IGWE1,EZIACHI,BEAF and co are usually archaic and brash in their way of thinkn and mannerisms.whilst,the ones like The Amaka,paddy lo,posakosa,sagamite,oyinda,sjeezy,platinumk,even if u disagree with them u can still stand them.I wonder why?mayb,its cus they was born or raised out here.maybe,the ones that wasnt even raised here been open to western influences since they was kids;who knows?all I know is I agree that the ones that was raised in africa got a very annotn mentality
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Dec 19, 2009
brooknam99:

@michelin:Hun,I do not think its rude in any way!evn tho,when I'm spkn with friends or family, I find that I catch myself as soon as I c dat I'm speakn spanish when there's som1 that don't understand it in our midst!23 yrs,I've heard people speak ibo around me and I don't understand jack,same with yourbas,I don't care!just knw I'll give them the 'aprender espanyol' look when I'm with my own people and they act all upset dat they don't understnd wut we yappn about! I actually agree with u about the nigerians that came here as adults and the ones that were born here or grew up here.like u said:too much cultural differences!the ones that grew up in africa,like NCHARA,MEKUSSXx,IGWE1,EZIACHI,BEAF and co are usually archaic and brash in their way of thinkn and mannerisms.whilst,the ones like The Amaka,paddy lo,posakosa,sagamite,oyinda,sjeezy,platinumk,even if u disagree with them u can still stand them.I wonder why?mayb,its cus they was born or raised out here.maybe,the ones that wasnt even raised here been open to western influences since they was kids;who knows?all I know is I agree that the ones that was raised in africa got a very annotn mentality

If you didn't care you wouldn't want the pay back either.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by brooknam99: 10:57pm On Dec 19, 2009
Exactly!!! Same thing I do;attack the individual,but,folk like the amaka always try to put a spin on it.talkn bout"ignore","turn the otha cheek" bla bla bla.binch(@the amaka), I don't knw wut part of the U.S u from,but here in east new york,a mudaeffa throw a rock at me I was raised to throw 9 grenades tied together at that effers front door!!! Funny thing is the amaka doesn't say jack when her bf's attack but when u say somthn she takes offense!nice goin there,ho!matter fact I'm tired of this topic!I'm out!got a weddinh wit chiogo to plan!peace
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by platinumnk(f): 10:58pm On Dec 19, 2009
This topic reveals why Nigeria will NEVER be ONE
Instead of acknowledging that we all need respect another different culture, we are told not to be around with people different than us.

We love to blame the white people, but it our[i] ownselves that is killing each other. [/i]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 19, 2009
brooknam99:

Exactly!!! Same thing I do;attack the individual,but,folk like the amaka always try to put a spin on it.talkn bout"ignore","turn the otha cheek" bla bla bla.binch(@the amaka), I don't knw wut part of the U.S u from,but here in east new york,a mudaeffa throw a rock at me I was raised to throw 9 grenades tied together at that effers front door!!! Funny thing is the amaka doesn't say jack when her bf's attack but when u say somthn she takes offense!nice goin there,ho!matter fact I'm tired of this topic!I'm out!got a weddinh wit chiogo to plan!peace

This is an attack to a group. I simply stated a fact. Those people shouting here and there didn't say anything meaningful. What have they said? Nothing. They didn't even deny so what are they crying for?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 11:09pm On Dec 19, 2009
platinumnk:

Instead of acknowledging that we all need respect another different culture, we are told not to be around with people different than us.

We love to blame the white people, but it our[i] ownselves that is killing each other. [/i]
You're right; the division in Nigeria is worse than the one in America yet we scream racism. But according to Michelin, she did express her feelings to these friends of hers but they ignored her complaints.
Obviously, they don't care about her that much so why should she keep hanging around such people?

Like I said earlier, my Spanish friend did that and she did apologize. It all boils down to the fact that this behavior is not only inherent in Yoruba people. It all depends on your reaction to the behavior and whether or not the people involved are apologetic.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nija4Life(m): 11:16pm On Dec 19, 2009
There's nothing wrong in speaking your language in public but when in the midst of someone who does not speak or understand the language it is rude and disrespectful to do so. As much as I am not one to reduce this into a tribal debate, I found this behaviour mostly inherent among Yoruba Corpers during my NYSC days in Oyo State.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by igboboy1(m): 11:18pm On Dec 19, 2009
cant we have Biafra and still be friends?
Obviously different groups in nigeria cant live as one we might as well break up and be neighboring "friendly" countries for a change grin
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by igboboy1(m): 11:19pm On Dec 19, 2009
platinumnk:

very very correct
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 19, 2009
chiogo:

You're right; the division in Nigeria is worse than the one in America yet we scream racism. But according to Michelin, she did express her feelings to these friends of hers but they ignored her complaints.
Obviously, they don't care about her that much so why should she keep hanging around such people?

Like I said earlier, my Spanish friend did that and she did apologize. It all boils down to the fact that this behavior is not only inherent in Yoruba people. It all depends on your reaction to the behavior and whether or not the people involved are apologetic.

They weren't exactly friends. Let's say I grew up isolated from Nigerians and I just wanted to hang out with my pals but the fact is it isn't that simple. In Nigeria maybe because we are so numerous in number we can even get fed up of staying with our groups all the time and feel the need to meet other people, but it is different here.

They form a little community of the yorubas, igbos, binis. The minorities end up being absurbed by the most populous group, that's how I came about these yoruba pals.

Anyways now I am back to my normal life. I am content of my italian life and friends and don't need more.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by chiogo(f): 11:31pm On Dec 19, 2009
michelin89:

They weren't exactly friends. Let's say I grew up isolated from Nigerians and I just wanted to hang out with my pals but the fact is it isn't that simple. In Nigeria maybe because we are so numerous in number we can even get fed up of staying with our groups all the time and feel the need to meet other people, but it is different here.

They form a little community of the yorubas, igbos, binis. The minorities end up being absurbed by the most populous group, that's how I came about these yoruba pals.

Anyways now I am back to my normal life. I am content of my italian life and friends and don't need more.
LOL well then I guess that explains their behavior since they weren't friends to begin with. Yoruba people tend to speak their language more freely in public compared to other groups. In your case, it wasn't good but I think it's a plus for them, they seem very proud of their language. I wish Igbo people can be more like that. undecided

Now that you've explained how acquainted you are with them, I'll say that they wouldn't have been that rude if y'all were really tight. But still, I admire how proud Yoruba people are when it comes to their language.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 19, 2009
chiogo:

LOL well then I guess that explains their behavior since they weren't friends to begin with. Yoruba people tend to speak their language more freely in public compared to other groups. In your case, it wasn't good but I think it's a plus for them, they seem very proud of their language. I wish Igbo people can be more like that. undecided

Now that you've explained how acquainted you are with them, I'll say that they wouldn't have been that rude if y'all were really tight. But still, I admire how proud Yoruba people are when it comes to their language.

It's not because we were never friends because there was no way we could be friends in the first place with that kind of attitude.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by coolme2: 12:07am On Dec 20, 2009
This is not peculiar with the yorubas alone,it is a global thing.Speaking the language you re use to is second to nature in everybody.I witness this in my county during the meeting in which 95% were ibo.In the midst of the meeting u see somebody trying to drive home is point and start codemixing english with yoruba.
Where i work is i a diverse of all all nationality and u c the fillipinos speaking Tagalo on the radio and the norwaygian speaking norge.

If this happen when the conversation has nothing to do with u but u re just present,u just have to tolerate,be polite and joke over it.So no biggie about that.

Most time i just try to immitate them if they do it in my presence and we all laff @ it. cheesy

It is not a yoruba/Nigerian things
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 2:04am On Dec 20, 2009
brooknam99:

you still see how hypocritical you are? didnt you respond to tpia. when she was off on her rampage against edo/bini people? huh? where were you then?
so it has now come back to square one ehh?? "when her bfs attack but when u say sometn she takes offense!"
so why didnt you correct tpia when she was going off on her tangent? dont you despise tribalist? why not check her and tell her wassup.
that went on for 3+ pages while i sat and watched waiting for you to say something to her.
NOTHING!! so what exactly is your point of trying to tell me "you didnt see when your bfs was going off blah blah" type of statements?
and yes imma defend myself because it seems like with you one cannot get their point across cause youre too busy reading everything while wearing "IT'S TRIBALISTIC!" sunglasses that blockade everything out.
maybe if you stopped cursing every 3 words and wrote in english that we could read, people might actually want to listen to you and take you serious.
all you do is scream like a 3 year old thats not getting his way.
why not call tpia. out on her stuff? werent you the same person that said you wouldnt check your "allies" so you have now made allies with the same type of person that you despise so much? thats your own words, not mine.
so you see here, at the end of the day you are a hypocrite as it seems that the only tribalist that you despise, are the igbo ones.
when tpia. vomited her rubbish right here in front for all to see, you didnt even say one word to her.
i thought you "deal" with people of her kind?
hmmmmmmmm, now i really see who you are.
That's exactly why black people are always killing themselves over nothing. lolol!!! and people fighting and shooting each other over drugs. someone can do one little thing to someone and theyre ready to pull out their gun. NEW YORK, NEW YORK! lolol that statement just made you look bad. little immature Arrow that fights over nothing.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 2:23am On Dec 20, 2009
@ the rest of the wailers:

its not by force to attend Yoruba get togethers.

If you feel left out of the conversation, you're free to start talking to yourself in your own language or ask your hosts to translate what's being said.

That failing, or if you're too big headed for anything, then let everybody stick to their own kind.

If you attend a Yoruba meeting, people will speak Yoruba. Geddit?

Likewise when Yorubas find themselves in the midst of non-Yorubas, they also have the same experience of people excluding them from conversations while yapping away and whispering various gossippy tidbits to each other. If these non-Yorubas are from different tribes, then they whisper their rubbish in english, all within full view of the person they're gossiping about.

Nobody holy pass.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by honeric01(m): 3:44pm On Dec 20, 2009
this thread never die?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by honeric01(m): 6:07pm On Dec 20, 2009
tpia.:

@ the rest of the wailers:

its not by force to attend Yoruba get togethers.

If you feel left out of the conversation, you're free to start talking to yourself in your own language or ask your hosts to translate what's being said.

That failing, or if you're too big headed for anything, then let everybody stick to their own kind.

If you attend a Yoruba meeting, people will speak Yoruba. Geddit?

Likewise when Yorubas find themselves in the midst of non-Yorubas, they also have the same experience of people excluding them from conversations while yapping away and whispering various gossippy tidbits to each other. If these non-Yorubas are from different tribes, then they whisper their rubbish in english, all within full view of the person they're gossiping about.

Nobody holy pass.

e don reach you now madam, abi you dey your period? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? / Distasteful Dressing By Ghanaian Women In Public (PHOTO) / Mixed Tribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.