Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,638 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure (87606 Views)

Largest Man Made Structure On The Planet. / Eredo, Ijebu Is Infact The Boundary Of The Original Jerusalem / MYTHBUSTER: This Is The Real Largest Man-made Structure, Not Eredo Ijebu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 11:35pm On Mar 23, 2017
The article said:

''Among the discoveries, a three-storey ruin has been tentatively identified as the royal palace. It had living quarters, shrines and courtyards. It is possible that thousands of smaller buildings are still concealed by the forests. These will be mapped in time. Radiocarbon dating has so far established that the buildings and walls were more than 1,000 years old. Dates such as 800 AD have been given as a good ball-park figure.''

That's a quick punch in the nose to those who claim that the 2 storey colonial house in Badagry built 120 years ago was ''Nigeria's first storey building''. Talk about being wide off the mark. cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by GreatManBee: 11:41pm On Mar 23, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

With due respect, I think the Yoruba scholars are complacent lot. They are jinxed to 'the ultimate-answer' given them in in Ile-ife origins of the Yoruba, now what is left to do is deny every other paragraph that comes before and after the source of this claim as if the early scholars who mention ife were fools to be discredited, biting the fingers that put you in the limelight.

Our history in modern times is about argument for or against what we used to believe as history, no spirited effort to confirm as true the conclusions of old but to debunk such while retaining a part: why not discard off the old and start afresh? Isn't your assumption that early claims being tinted with religious sentiments not tinted with inability to sift fact from fiction to unravel facts?

Now how does your tradition of origin solve the eredo paradox? They will also come here as soon as this thread hit the frontpage to discredit everything connecting it with the outside world, but would never resolve the mystery of who, when or how. Because they are too complacent to research but eager to protect the 'ultimate answer' as the almighty formula for Yoruba history.

Our people are too feeble to think and too scared to ask questions. The ones who were beneficiary of the urban legend works to quench the investigative spirit of anyone who rise to challenge them, but fact also elude them other than the regular coverup that never sound scientific or far reaching but self-serving. Let's wait and see. This is the relics of an empire lost in time.

This points back to a legendary woman: Mr. Oduduwa, what did you accomplish for Yoruba? How did you succeeded in putting your children on the throne in all realms without any history of confrontations? Are you an Uthman Dan Fudio? How did all your children became kings and had no trace of personal name but title of kingdoms as their names?

Sungbo had a name and memorial landmark to her greatness!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by GreatManBee: 11:42pm On Mar 23, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I tot you are Yoruba na

Alright let me try.

The past is shrouded in mystery, all we are left with of the pre-historic era are words built around heroes of the culture, some classic artifacts and certain puzzling patterns that if harnessed may help our understanding of Yoruba history for instant.

Such patterns exist in fixed oral text, place names and genealogical traditions kept in Yoruba families. The elements of Yoruba history is linked to Yoruba family pedigree. We need to harness such and sift history from it, rather than invent history.

Yoruba spoken word is very potent, many secrets are concealed in Yoruba spoken words thann you have in the heart of men. Yorubaland for instance is not Yorubaland from inception, but 'ile Aye' or 'home of the matriarch' so who was the matriarch?

The saying 'aye loja orun nile" implies that Yoruba migrants came to do business in Yorubaland and look to a time they will trace their origin back to their wellsource. I understand the same phrase has different connotation here and now, that's religious muddling up tradition.

Now, the Oja is establishing colonies in this part of Africa by 'awon omo ara Ye' (kindred of the matriarch). The head of each colony is Oloja, as in one who discover a habitable colony. The search parties involved were the Owas and their activity is imule, possessing the land.

These people came through the sea, hence some of the earliest Yoruba enclaves can be found at the sea, inclusive of Lagos Island, which is the earliest Yoruba harbour as old as ile-ife. At least Oduduwa was not the foundind father of Yoruba population but Yoruba-empire.

So. Where did the inhabitants of Yoruba before the meccan-ife oduduwa came from? Did the arrival of Oduduwa translate to sudden appearance of the Yoruba from nowhere? My joker is, the tradition usually drawn to support Oduduwa coming from the sky was a stretch from odu iwori, which rhymes with Awori.

The Owa are the same as Awo (sightseers, seers) and that's where Orunmila and Ifa made history as pioneers and founding fathers who brought the viceroy, the true Oduduwa, the matriarch to Yorubaland. Her retinue own many place in ancient Yoruba, ile-ife was her possession too. Hence she was the first Ooni Ife.

This is my story.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 11:46pm On Mar 23, 2017
baby124:

There are art forms to compare with the Nok culture and Yoruba culture. Yoruba also had a presence in the North but today are as far as Kogi and Jebba. So the possibility of them being descendants of the Nok is quite high. The Egyptian claim is bullshit because most of the Egyptian words have not even been decoded yet. So where did you find all those many words to use as proof. Nutjobs go online creating stories out of the sky that don't exist to twist history. Leave Yoruba out of it. Let us preserve our own history. Ancient Egyptians are in Sudan, not Yorubaland ok? There is nothing like Ijinle kink Yoruba in the color Red. When the attempt at bending so called Egyptian words by Yoruba meanings all seem to be similar to today's popular language patterns. That fake link can not have been created more than 5yrs ago. Your post did infer that Yoruba's must have come from Egypt to achieve the feats they have achieved. That's not true.

I do hope you know that you are making utter conjectures too.

There's nothing in your post that PROVES conclusively that Nok =Yoruba.

You only mentioned similarity of art forms which can be explained away by trade.

You claim that Yorubas also inhabited the north at some point in time. Have you asked yourself How our forefathers came to be in the north and were their descendants are in the south today?

When you after coming from Egypt by land doesn't it make sense that you'll pass through the north?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing the fact that the Yoruba culture may have influenced the Nok culture or vice versa, but it's still total conjecture, guess work. And you telling me that the theories I share are rubbish shows that you're not a scientist who is ready to look at opposing views and see If they also have merit.

Who were the Nok people? What was their culture? What was their language? Let's compare them to the present Yoruba culture that were know. Put these facts forward and let's have a scholarly debate and not you Pooh poohing my post.

All you have so far are similar art works. undecided

Let me quote a portion of a research done by the university of Iowa:

Some of the earliest examples of sophisticated sculpture in sub-Saharan Africa come from the Nok culture. We do not know what the people called themselves, so the culture was named after the town of Nok where the first object was found. The fired clay or terracotta sculptures range in size from small pendant to life-size figures. Nok is an iron age culture that has been dated between 900 B.C. and 200 A.D. Archaeological artifacts have been found in Nigeria, primarily to the north of the Niger-Benue River confluence and below the Jos escarpment. According to some accounts, based on artistic similarities between early Yoruba art forms and Nok forms, there may be connections between Nok culture and contemporary Yoruba peoples

You can check the full article here:

https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/peoples/show/nok

Now, to the Egyptian connection.

All you have against it is the word "red" which you insist is not the same in the Yoruba language.

You say ancient Egyptian language hasn't been decoded yet? I'd say you don't know what you are talking about.

Ancient Egypt used hieroglyphics to communicate and yes, it has been decoded.

Check:

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Vuara/Decoding_Egyptian_hieroglyphs

And this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decipherment_of_Egyptian_hieroglyphs

And this:

https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Egyptian-Hieroglyphs-Language-Pharaohs/dp/0811832252

For proof.

4 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 11:51pm On Mar 23, 2017
baby124:

I read it well. Ancient Egyptians are not Yoruba's. They are different people and different civilizations. Ancient Yoruba's are probably closer to the Nok people. Their terra-cotta art is quite similar. Yoruba people had their own civilization. The link provided, I read it and it's all conjecture that is far reaching. They even say *Red Color* in Yoruba is Duden. Red is pupa. Lol.Egyptians were black but they were not Yoruba.

There was no group known as 'Yoruba' during the time of the ancient Egyptians. Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, etc are relatively recent ethnic configurations in the historical scheme of things, likely no more than 2,000 years old. For instance, those we know as Yoruba today are the descendants of immigrants from Egypt and the Middle East, which in ancient times, were largely black populated, who fled into Africa and intermarried with resident Bantu groups on the continent, over several centuries, and merged their languages, customs, etc, to form an entirely new ethnicity - Yoruba.

Igbo and other ethnic groups were also formed in similar manner.

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by 9jakool: 11:51pm On Mar 23, 2017
Rossikk:
The article said:

''Among the discoveries, a three-story ruin has been tentatively identified as the royal palace. It had living quarters, shrines and courtyards. It is possible that thousands of smaller buildings are still concealed by the forests. These will be mapped in time. Radiocarbon dating has so far established that the buildings and walls were more than 1,000 years old. Dates such as 800 AD have been given as a good ball-park figure.''

That's a quick punch in the nose to those who claim that the 2 storey colonial house in Badagry built 120 years ago was ''Nigeria's first storey building''. Talk about being wide off the mark. cool

That title in itself is shameful to Nigeria. Why do we praise that colonial relic and even have the audacity to claim it as the first multi storey building. We are even proud of it, which ironically shows inferiority complex and plays into the narrative that we weren't civilized precolonial. Funny thing is that, it's not even the first story building in Nigeria. The Gobarau minaret in Katsina is three storey tall and it was built in the late 1300s.

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by sonnie10: 11:56pm On Mar 23, 2017
Philpham:
But the question is,why do we leave these white monkeys to discover these treasures in our land. Tomorrows they will steal it and put in their museum and claim ''tis theirs . These white people should just efff off and leave us in peace.

Just wondering how possible it would be to steal a 600km, 70feet wall. Then they would hull same to a museum in faraway white man land.

We can think Africa!

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 12:04am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:

There was no group known as 'Yoruba' during the time of the ancient Egyptians. Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, etc are relatively recent ethnic configurations in the historical scheme of things, likely no more than 2,000 years old. For instance, those we know as Yoruba today are the descendants of immigrants from Egypt and the Middle East, which in ancient times, were largely black populated, who fled into Africa and intermarried with resident Bantu groups on the continent, over several centuries, and merged their languages, customs, etc, to form an entirely new ethnicity - Yoruba.

I don't agree with you. The Yoruba civilization is clearly different and distinct from the Egyptian civilization. They may have traded but that is it. The so called Yoruba people of today created their own distinct civilization. I don't know about other's. Same with the Egyptians. All civilization today spread from East Africa, even the ancient Egyptians and everyone found their way to their current abode. Ancient Egyptians are most likely in North Africa specifically Sudan which shared a kinship with Egypt. Those people have nothing to do and had little or no influence on the Ypruba's of today.

4 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 12:13am On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I do hope you know that you are making utter conjectures too.

There's nothing in your post that PROVES conclusively that Nok =Yoruba.

You only mentioned similarity of art forms which can be explained away by trade.

You claim that Yorubas also inhabited the north at some point in time. Have you asked yourself How our forefathers came to be in the north and were their descendants are in the south today?

When you after coming from Egypt by land doesn't it make sense that you'll pass through the north?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing the fact that the Yoruba culture may have influenced the Nok culture or vice versa, but it's still total conjecture, guess work. And you telling me that the theories I share are rubbish shows that you're not a scientist who is ready to look at opposing views and see If they also have merit.

Who were the Nok people? What was their culture? What was their language? Let's compare them to the present Yoruba culture that were know. Put these facts forward and let's have a scholarly debate and not you Pooh poohing my post.

All you have so far are similar art works. undecided

Let me quote a portion of a research done by the university of Iowa:

You can check the full article here:

https://africa.uima.uiowa.edu/peoples/show/nok

Now, to the Egyptian connection.

All you have against it is the word "red" which you insist is not the same in the Yoruba language.

You say ancient Egyptian language hasn't been decoded yet? I'd say you don't know what you are talking about.

Ancient Egypt used hieroglyphics to communicate and yes, it has been decoded.

Check:

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Vuara/Decoding_Egyptian_hieroglyphs

And this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decipherment_of_Egyptian_hieroglyphs

And this:

https://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Egyptian-Hieroglyphs-Language-Pharaohs/dp/0811832252

For proof.

You do know Yoruba's had their own distinct text? Same with Igbo's and this is totally different from the Egyptian texts. I know because my grand mother was tattooed with a strange text. Now, it's very easy to see the transition from Nok art forms to ancient Yoruba art forms. Even the beading is quite similar and the terra-cotta expressions just show an upgrade by the people now known as Yoruba. We all know that Kanuri, Hausa and Fulani are nomadic in nature so they did not occupy that location at the time of the Nok. The most likely people to have Egyptian influence are the Hausa, Fula and Kanuri. They are everywhere and moved around a lot. Not the Yoruba. Experts have studied both cultures and have seen that there was a relationship. These people obviously were driven south at some point. They knew about Iron, and Yoruba's have been using Iron since forever. We can't even remember how we came across the technology same with terra-cotta and Brass. But we passed this technology to the Benins. One of the Nok Terra-cotta heads even carried didi weaving. Which is a distinct Yoruba hairstyle and is shown in ancient Yoruba sculptures as well. A lot of their art was also focused on the head, same with Yoruba's.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 12:14am On Mar 24, 2017
9jakool:

Yes that's absolutely right. This is 100% African and Yoruba civilization. We need to stop with the Sheba or Egyptian origin of Yoruba culture. Why give middle-easterners credit for the culture and history we've developed on our own.

WE WERE THE MIDDLE EASTERNERS!

Tomb Art from Ancient Egypt.

See thread, ''Our Ancestors - Images From Ancient Egypt''

https://www.nairaland.com/3679013/ancestors-images-ancient-egypt
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by islandmoon: 12:39am On Mar 24, 2017
jnrremedy:

pls stop saying wot u don't know
some people sha will just cook up storys in their head and will be talking as if they were there when it was happening
kola olawuyi did not die cos of this ur cooked up story pls

junior or what do you call yourself, tell us how he died then, and tell us what you know about Aja Ile-underground cafe in Ogun State.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 1:37am On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

I don't agree with you. The Yoruba civilization is clearly different and distinct from the Egyptian civilization. They may have traded but that is it. The so called Yoruba people of today created their own distinct civilization. I don't know about other's. Same with the Egyptians. All civilization today spread from East Africa, even the ancient Egyptians and everyone found their way to their current abode. Ancient Egyptians are most likely in North Africa specifically Sudan which shared a kinship with Egypt. Those people have nothing to do and had little or no influence on the Ypruba's of today.

Do you realise that Yoruba ORAL HISTORY traces Yoruba origins to Egypt?

Excerpts:

''Reverend Samuel Johnson has been writing the history of the Yorubas for about 20 years and his
manuscript, The history of the Yorubas: From the earliest times to the beginning of the British protectorate
was first sent for publication in 1899, but was published only in 1921 and reprinted in 2001
(Johnson 1921:viii).

A number of writers of the Yoruba history especially from the beginning of the early 20th century until the present, rely on the writings of Johnson as a fundamental source of knowledge with regard to understanding the Yoruba connection with ancient Egypt (cf. Akintoye 2004:3). Johnson relied on some cultural similarities between the Egyptians and the Yorubas (Johnson 1921:6–7). He also relied on Yoruba’s oral history as his main source of information concerning Yoruba origins; some of his sources are renowned Yoruba oral historians like Josiah Oni, Venerable Lagunju (the Timi of Ede) and many more (Johnson 1921:viii)''

http://www.scielo.org.za/pdf/vee/v35n1/28.pdf
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:
So, conventional belief is that the Eredo earthworks surrounds a kingdom, meaning several towns, villages, empty land, bush etc.

But if it actually was a WHOLE CITY, as some scientists now insist, that means it would be by far the largest city in all human history!!!

If that is the case, then an unbelievable amount of artefacts and treasure lies beneath that land.

Who knows how much GOLD will be found in such a huge city??

The research above states the city traded heavily in gold and ivory.

There would have been thousands of rich families and palatial homes, housing all sorts of treasures!

I can't wait for the digging to commence!

ijebu awa
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:
EREDO EARTHWORKS, IJEBU, NIGERIA

Estimated Date of Construction - 800 AD

The African queen

SOMETIMES the biggest things can be the hardest to find. How else do you explain the failure of generations of Nigerian and European archaeologists to spot Sungbo’s Eredo, the ramparts of a thousand-year-old kingdom not an hour’s drive from Lagos? They are very big: the earth wall and ditch are 160 kilometres long and in places tower seven storeys high, complete with guardhouses, moats and garrison barracks. They enclose an area the size of Greater London, or 30 times bigger than Manhattan. But it took a British geographer from the
University of Bournemouth to recognise their significance.

Patrick Darling stumbled upon Sungbo’s Eredo five years ago, when he stopped his car along the Pan African Highway in southern Nigeria and set off on foot into the undergrowth. What he found that day was the jewel in the African civil engineering crown....

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16322035-100-the-african-queen/

''Over the last five years... a team of Nigerian and British archeologists and preservationists have succeeded in mapping the structure.... A carbon analysis of parts of the rampart showed that it dates from the 10th century and suggested that a highly organized kingdom existed in the rain forest at least three centuries earlier than previously believed.''
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/20/world/eredo-journal-a-wall-a-moat-behold-a-lost-yoruba-kingdom.html

Eredo: The Largest City in the Ancient World

by Robin Walker

On 23 May 1999, the Sunday Times (UK) carried an astonishing article entitled 'Jungle reveals traces of Sheba's fabled kingdom'. Over the next few days many other papers followed suit. Even the Daily Mail one day later asked "Was the Queen of Sheba really a Black woman from Nigeria?" As the evidence emerged, however, the queen of Sheba link proved to be hype. The real Sheba was an Ethiopian queen who lived three thousand years ago. What was undeniable, however, was that the southern Nigerian rainforests had an even more amazing secret to tell. The secret was this. During the Middle Ages, Africans built by far the largest city the world had ever seen. In size, this city dwarfed Baghdad, Cairo, Cordoba and Rome. The achievement was on a scale even bigger than that of the Great Pyramid of Giza, Africa's most celebrated monument.

At one time, scholars used to divide the three thousand-year history of southern Nigeria into four great cultural periods. They used to speak of the Nok Culture, the Igbo-Ukwu Culture, the Yoruba Kingdoms and the Benin Empire. This view was boldly challenged by the findings of a team of Bournemouth University scholars led by archaeologist Dr Patrick Darling. Since 1994, the team discovered and mapped the remains of yet another Nigerian kingdom, this time covered by centuries of forest overgrowth. Barnaby Phillips of the BBC described the discoveries as possibly "Africa's largest single monument." As we shall see, this is typical British understatement.

At Eredo, in south western Nigeria, Darling's team found a huge earthen wall with moated sections. This encircled an ancient kingdom or city. From the ditch to the summit of the rampart measured a towering 70 feet. According to Mark Macaskill of the Sunday Times, the rampart was "100 mile[s]" long and formed a rough circle, enclosing "more than 400 square miles." The building was on a truly epic scale. The builders shifted 3.5 million cubic metres of earth to build just the rampart alone. According to the BBC this is, incidentally, "one million cubic metres more than the amount of rock and earth used in the Great Pyramid at Giza.[Egypt]" Therefore Eredo's construction is estimated to have "involved about one million more man-hours that were necessary to build the Great Pyramid." The ramparts may indicate the boundary of the original Ijebu kingdom that was ruled by a spiritual leader called the "Awujale". Macaskill, however, disagrees. He describes Eredo as a "city". If he is correct, this would make Eredo one of the very largest cities in all of human history. It was larger than modern London, and was definitely the largest city built in the ancient and mediaeval world.

Among the discoveries, a three-story ruin has been tentatively identified as the royal palace. It had living quarters, shrines and courtyards. It is possible that thousands of smaller buildings are still concealed by the forests. These will be mapped in time. Radiocarbon dating has so far established that the buildings and walls were more than 1,000 years old. Dates such as 800 AD have been given as a good ball-park figure.

People who live near the ruined kingdom or city today have traditions that a wealthy and childless queen, Bilikisu Sungbo, built the city. Some say that she built the city as a religious offering. It is also claimed that Sungbo's territory had a gold and ivory trade. Moreover, her royal household are said to have kept eunuchs. Portuguese documents dating back 500 years, allude to the power of an Ijebu kingdom that some scholars think is possibly this very one. Today, the ruins continue to be of great importance. There are yearly pilgrimages to Sungbo's grave.

Despite this great African achievement it is, however, disconcerting to note that racist theories are already being formulated about this kingdom. For example, Barnaby Phillips wrote that the building of Eredo was: "carried out by people who could not read or write, and with only the most basic of tools. Thousands of labourers - probably slaves - must have toiled in the thick rain forests and dark labyrinth swamps for years."

Naturally, he offers no evidence for the assertions of slavery and illiteracy. On the other hand, the evidence of iron smelting and the other highly advanced metallurgical activities for which the Nigerian civilisations were world leaders seems to disprove the notion that the builders had only basic tools at their disposal.

On a happy note, Dr Darling, the leader of the archaeological team, suggested that Eredo may well gain World Heritage Status. This will put the Eredo kingdom or city on an equal footing with other African marvels such as the Pyramids of Giza and the city of Djenné in Mali. It also places this great achievement on a footing with other great marvels from around the world such as Stonehenge.

http://www.blackhistorystudies.com/shop/the-great-mighty-wall/article-about-eredo/
Bilikisu Sungod, a Jebusite descendant of those chase away by Israelite because of their idols worshiping, they thought that can run away from GOD, they left Jerusalem, and their gods to Egypt from there to Sudan to Nigeria where they create Eredo, which was created by their king awujale, bilikisu was not the one that created eredo ask agemo osa, bilikisu was once a princess that turn herself to queen for killing her father the king awujale, she became famous and went back and marry those that destory their empire, the ijebus will never forgive her for her atrocities against their king, oduduwa met ijebus in southern Nigeria and he was never recognize by the ijebus as a king

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by nijabazaar: 2:14am On Mar 24, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I tot you are Yoruba na

Alright let me try.

The past is shrouded in mystery, all we are left with of the pre-historic era are words built around heroes of the culture, some classic artifacts and certain puzzling patterns that if harnessed may help our understanding of Yoruba history for instant.

Such patterns exist in fixed oral text, place names and genealogical traditions kept in Yoruba families. The elements of Yoruba history is linked to Yoruba family pedigree. We need to harness such and sift history from it, rather than invent history.

Yoruba spoken word is very potent, many secrets are concealed in Yoruba spoken words thann you have in the heart of men. Yorubaland for instance is not Yorubaland from inception, but 'ile Aye' or 'home of the matriarch' so who was the matriarch?

The saying 'aye loja orun nile" implies that Yoruba migrants came to do business in Yorubaland and look to a time they will trace their origin back to their wellsource. I understand the same phrase has different connotation here and now, that's religious muddling up tradition.

Now, the Oja is establishing colonies in this part of Africa by 'awon omo ara Ye' (kindred of the matriarch). The head of each colony is Oloja, as in one who discover a habitable colony. The search parties involved were the Owas and their activity is imule, possessing the land.

These people came through the sea, hence some of the earliest Yoruba enclaves can be found at the sea, inclusive of Lagos Island, which is the earliest Yoruba harbour as old as ile-ife. At least Oduduwa was not the foundind father of Yoruba population but Yoruba-empire.

So. Where did the inhabitants of Yoruba before the meccan-ife oduduwa came from? Did the arrival of Oduduwa translate to sudden appearance of the Yoruba from nowhere? My joker is, the tradition usually drawn to support Oduduwa coming from the sky was a stretch from odu iwori, which rhymes with Awori.

The Owa are the same as Awo (sightseers, seers) and that's where Orunmila and Ifa made history as pioneers and founding fathers who brought the viceroy, the true Oduduwa, the matriarch to Yorubaland. Her retinue own many place in ancient Yoruba, ile-ife was her possession too. Hence she was the first Ooni Ife.

This is my story.

You must Be Prof or some writer.
.luv u

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElectGINeer(m): 2:31am On Mar 24, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I tot you are Yoruba na

Alright let me try.

This is my story.
Although you may be correct but the notion of Mecca-Ife Oduduwa is wrong. It only gained acceptance after the advent of Islam.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 2:52am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:

Do you realise that Yoruba ORAL HISTORY traces Yoruba origins to Egypt?

Excerpts:

''Reverend Samuel Johnson has been writing the history of the Yorubas for about 20 years and his
manuscript, The history of the Yorubas: From the earliest times to the beginning of the British protectorate
was first sent for publication in 1899, but was published only in 1921 and reprinted in 2001
(Johnson 1921:viii).

A number of writers of the Yoruba history especially from the beginning of the early 20th century until the present, rely on the writings of Johnson as a fundamental source of knowledge with regard to understanding the Yoruba connection with ancient Egypt (cf. Akintoye 2004:3). Johnson relied on some cultural similarities between the Egyptians and the Yorubas (Johnson 1921:6–7). He also relied on Yoruba’s oral history as his main source of information concerning Yoruba origins; some of his sources are renowned Yoruba oral historians like Josiah Oni, Venerable Lagunju (the Timi of Ede) and many more (Johnson 1921:viii)''

http://www.scielo.org.za/pdf/vee/v35n1/28.pdf
The article is a very confused article, and it does not come to a conclusion or even prove the Egyptian influence on Yoruba culture. I can understand the need to associate any civilization in Africa to Egypt because Egypt was the super power of the world at that time. But it is not true that the Nigerians of today migrated from there. I don't care what assumptions Samuel Johnson claims. Yoruba's developed their social, cultural and economic systems themselves. You know not all Yoruba groups believe in Oduduwa right? It's really only the Ife's and Oyo's that believe that myth. The fact is the people in theNigeria area of today had their own civilization. After all the Dufuna Canoe was discovered in Nigeria and it is 8,000 years old. Older than the so called Egyptian civilization and it was quite sophisticated. If you say Nigerian's migrated to Egypt and built the Egyptian civilization, I may believe you. But not the other way around. That Dufuna canoe provided evidence that we in Nigeria were traveling to other continents 8,000 yrs ago in a very sophisticated canoe designed for long travel. Before Egyptians developed that technology.

The most likely descendants of Egypt or North Africa are the Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri. They are obviously North African stock. Their language and migration or settlement pattern proves that they came from the North and groups settled all over Africa through Sudan before finally reaching Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by mare23ayo(m): 3:36am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:
So, conventional belief is that the Eredo earthworks surrounds a kingdom, meaning several towns, villages, empty land, bush etc.

But if it actually was a WHOLE CITY, as some scientists now insist, that means it would be by far the largest city in all human history!!!

If that is the case, then an unbelievable amount of artefacts and treasure lies beneath that land.

Who knows how much GOLD will be found in such a huge city??

The research above states the city traded heavily in gold and ivory.

There would have been thousands of rich families and palatial homes, housing all sorts of treasures!

I can't wait for the digging to commence!

whoever said the ijebus are the richest in africa might not be lying. Exploration should start on that land
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by 9jakool: 3:57am On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

The article is a very confused article, and it does not come to a conclusion or even prove the Egyptian influence on Yoruba culture. I can understand the need to associate any civilization in Africa to Egypt because Egypt was the super power of the world at that time. But it is not true that the Nigerians of today migrated from there. I don't care what assumptions Samuel Johnson claims. Yoruba's developed their social, cultural and economic systems themselves. You know not all Yoruba groups believe in Oduduwa right? It's really only the Ife's and Oyo's that believe that myth. The fact is the people in theNigeria area of today had their own civilization. After all the Dufuna Canoe was discovered in Nigeria and it is 8,000 years old. Older than the so called Egyptian civilization and it was quite sophisticated. If you say Nigerian's migrated to Egypt and built the Egyptian civilization, I may believe you. But not the other way around. That Dufuna canoe provided evidence that we in Nigeria were traveling to other continents 8,000 yrs ago in a very sophisticated canoe designed for long travel. Before Egyptians developed that technology.
Excellent! It's good to dismiss these Egyptocentrist view of West African civilizations, because there is no evidence for any link. It's all pseudoscience. People in Nigeria didn't migrate from Egypt. The oldest evidence of human habitation in West Africa comes from Nigeria at Iwo Eleru with remains dating to around 13,000 years old, which shows that humans have been living in the region before the advent of Egypt. Iron age in Nigeria also predates Egypt. Iron age or domestic iron production in Egypt started around 1,000 BC which puts it at the same timeline as Nok. Prior to Nok, there was Lejja in Enugu, which was a center for iron production with furnaces and iron slags dating as far back as 2,000 B.C putting it at contention for the oldest iron age culture in the World.
Egyptocentrists often use the language argument and attributing similar words to similar origin. In doing so, they fail to recognize that most West African languages use tones that can alter the meaning of a language completely, which is totally foreign to Egyptian. Second, they don't acknowledge that Egyptian is in a separate language branch ignoring other linguistic attributes like grammar, gender, syntax, phonology etc. Third, if that much of the vocabulary could survive, how come not a single trace of the writing or cultural beliefs exist. That's not how cultural diffusion work.

While these Africans with Egyptocentric/Middle-Eastern views look for a foreign identity, European and Asian countries are claiming ownership of their own indigenous heritage and building on their tourism. People need to be proud of their origin, you don't need to become the people from the bible to feel proud.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 4:26am On Mar 24, 2017
9jakool:

Excellent! It's good to dismiss these Egyptocentrist view of West African civilizations, because there is no evidence for any link. It's all pseudoscience. People in Nigeria didn't migrate from Egypt. The oldest evidence of human habitation in West Africa comes from Nigeria at Iwo Eleru with remains dating to around 13,000 years old, which shows that humans have been living in the region before the advent of Egypt. Iron age in Nigeria also predates Egypt. Iron age or domestic iron production in Egypt started around 1,000 BC which puts it at the same timeline as Nok. Prior to Nok, there was Lejja in Enugu, which was a center for iron production with furnaces and iron slags dating as far back as 2,000 B.C putting it at contention for the oldest iron age culture in the World.
Egyptocentrists often use the language argument and attributing similar words to similar origin. In doing so, they fail to recognize that most West African languages use tones that can alter the meaning of a language completely, which is totally foreign to Egyptian. Second, they don't acknowledge that Egyptian is in a separate language branch ignoring other linguistic attributes like grammar, gender, syntax, phonology etc. Third, if that much of the vocabulary could survive, how come not a single trace of the writing or cultural beliefs exist. That's not how cultural diffusion work.

While these Africans with Egyptocentric/Middle-Eastern views look for a foreign identity, European and Asian countries are claiming ownership of their own indigenous heritage and building on their tourism. People need to be proud of their origin, you don't need to become the people from the bible to feel proud.
They want to try so hard to be attached to a prosperous African civilization but do not realize the damage they are doing to ours. Once we adopt Egyptian civilization, we lose our identity and admit that we were savages before the rise of Egypt. Which is very untrue. Yoruba created their weaving and cloth making totally indegenously. They also created their religion and way of worship. It's funny but almost all African tribes have a similar belief system and a code of conduct. Even the Fulani who are a menace these days. The ancient Egyptians have been absorbed in Notthern Africa not west Africa. We had our own civilization and it was before Egypt and still endures till today. Why I admit that Yoruba may have had trade contact with them through the Sudanese is because of glass beads which were the main mode of commerce for the Yoruba's. I can see in Egyptian documentaries that they used a lot of glass beads which they got from trade with sudan. Sudan traded a lot with the African hinterland and served as middle man to Egypt.

I know Iron work existed in Africa before Egypt. The first weapon was a spear, this is a complete and indegenous African invention. This is evidence of the use of Iron in the creation of the spear tips.

About the Iwo Eleru caves, it only proves our point that Nigeria was occupied long before Egypt. Nigeria's boom in population is because of our environment. It is very rich and nutritious, so it provides inhabitants with the ability to grow population wise and be creative.it would only make sense that humans and a lot of them will occupy this area for as long as it has been accessible. Which is probably thousands of years before Egypt and not at the fall of Egypt.

I was watching an Egypt documentary and they were marveling at the Egyptian combs which are completely and obviously African. The Egyptians wore wigs so they used the combs as a style thing. We Nigerians always had elaborate hairstyles that called for combs. In fact the comb they showed was exactly similar to the Yoruba Ilarun or Ilari. Which is used to part hair. I agree that there was trade, but the Egyptians did not become Yoruba's or Igbo's. We all existed around the same time with separate and distinct civilizations.

8 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 4:30am On Mar 24, 2017
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Fawklicant: 6:05am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:
There is not one single historical artifact as significant as this in the whole of the South East and I guess that's why the Igbos are constantly jealous of Yorubas.... undecided

....heck, they are not even sure whether they're Africans or Isrealites. Shame and inferiority complex has made them to trade their historical culture for a foreign one...

The irony of it all is that the Jews are unrepentant racists that would mostly avoid any genealogical links with black Africans if possible. undecided

Grow some sense bozo.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by proffc: 6:38am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:
There is not one single historical artifact as significant as this in the whole of the South East and I guess that's why the Igbos are constantly jealous of Yorubas.... undecided

....heck, they are not even sure whether they're Africans or Isrealites. Shame and inferiority complex has made them to trade their historical culture for a foreign one...

The irony of it all is that the Jews are unrepentant racists that would mostly avoid any genealogical links with black Africans if possible. undecided

And what has your point here got to do with the topic? Every people have their own uniqueness and strength. Heck! Won't the World be a boring place if we all just think, do and act the same? Ever heard of the Ugbo-Ukwu (an Igbo art-work)? or even know that Yoruba and Ibo share a tint of similarity in the history of our spoken languages? Say what you have to say but don't go creating strife.

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 6:56am On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

You do know Yoruba's had their own distinct text? Same with Igbo's and this is totally different from the Egyptian texts. I know because my grand mother was tattooed with a strange text. Now, it's very easy to see the transition from Nok art forms to ancient Yoruba art forms. Even the beading is quite similar and the terra-cotta expressions just show an upgrade by the people now known as Yoruba. We all know that Kanuri, Hausa and Fulani are nomadic in nature so they did not occupy that location at the time of the Nok. The most likely people to have Egyptian influence are the Hausa, Fula and Kanuri. They are everywhere and moved around a lot. Not the Yoruba. Experts have studied both cultures and have seen that there was a relationship. These people obviously were driven south at some point. They knew about Iron, and Yoruba's have been using Iron since forever. We can't even remember how we came across the technology same with terra-cotta and Brass. But we passed this technology to the Benins. One of the Nok Terra-cotta heads even carried didi weaving. Which is a distinct Yoruba hairstyle and is shown in ancient Yoruba sculptures as well. A lot of their art was also focused on the head, same with Yoruba's.

If there's the possibility that Nok=old Yoruba, then there's the possibility that even before Yorubas were known as Nok, they first inhabited the Nile region.

Have you thought about the possibility that those terracota heads and sculptures you're talking about are miniature versions of those great sculptures of Pharaohs and the Sphinx head that they built while they inhabited the Nile area? After all, they were still in transit and wouldn't build anything permanent or gigantic.

My theory is that when the very ancient inhabitants of the Nile were forced to flee down south, they brought along with them their knowledge of artwork amongst other things and they intended to flee as down south as possible from whatever was chasing them.

It is possible that they got to their present location when they encountered the sea at eko. Or Maybe they got to Ife first.

Then they settled down and their propensity to build huge structures as evidenced by the giant statues of Pharaohs, the Sphinx and the pyramids got them to build the Eredo which looks like a gigantic fortress to keep out invaders or to mark territories, something you'd expect from people who had to flee their home because of a war or invasion.

So while I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that the Nok evolved into the Yorubas, There's also the possibility that the inhabitants of Kemet along the Nile evolved into the Nok people.

How sure are you that the markings on your grandmother's body aren't hieroglyphics?

Do you know that the name "Yoruba" was given to us by later inhabitants of the present day Northern Nigeria whom we call Awusa?

So it begs the questions
1. What is the meaning of the word "Yoruba"?

2. What was the original name of the people now known as Yoruba?

You say it's more likely that the Fulani came from Egypt because of their nomadic lifestyle. I disagree. The Fulani doest just walk around aimlessly because He likes walking. He is a nomad because he looks for the best pastures to graze his cattle on. So tell me, How would the fulanis roam their cattle towards the desert where there's no grass for grazing per se

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 7:08am On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

Do you know the origin of the name Egypt? Maybe you should dig a little bit.

That place you calk Egypt wasn't always known as Egypt. And the people there currently are recent settlers.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by olureignforever: 7:12am On Mar 24, 2017
agrovick:
Wow!

Olureignforever, are you saying this place is in Ijebu Ode?

Yes, it's in the heart of oke eri before Iperin on the way to Ibadan. Oke Eri people (Men), are like the custodian of Bilikisu Sungbo. Well, according to history. We wished we cld see the place back then but it's forbidden for women. Different beautiful but scary things were said about the place.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Olu317(m): 7:14am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:

A few Elements amongst the Ibo people who claim Israelites as their inheritance may be true. Although, blood traces / Blood types of Ibo people are restricted to Nigeria,Cameroon/Congo, Bénin/Togo,Ivory Coast /Ghana. And I find some information as ISRAEL HISTORY is concerned to more connected to AFRICA than the rest of the world. The ISRAELITES AREN'T A TRIBE BUT A RACE.
The Jew sponsored a project to begin test of blood in Ibo land because ISRAEL KNOWS THAT THEY WERE ONCE A DESCENDANT OF A BLACK MAN CALLED ABRAM

MANY OF YOUR LIKES ARE SO FUNNY BECAUSE YOU DON'T READ. AFRICA, AFRICA IS NOT A TRIBE NOR A RACE BUT A CONTINENT HOSTING MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE WITH OVER 3000 LANGUAGES. SO, STOP THIS AFRICA'S PRIDE AND FIND OUT THE TRUTH.

BELOW IS FALASAS(BNAI ISRAEL) OF ETHIOPIA WHO ARE BLACK OR BROWNISH OR PALE YELLOW

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Olu317(m): 7:34am On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

If there's the possibility that Nok=old Yoruba, then there's the possibility that even before Yorubas were known as Nok, they first inhabited the Nile region.

Have you thought about the possibility that those terracota heads and sculptures you're talking about are miniature versions of those great sculptures of Pharaohs and the Sphinx head that they built while they inhabited the Nile area? After all, they were still in transit and wouldn't build anything permanent or gigantic.

My theory is that when the very ancient inhabitants of the Nile were forced to flee down south, they brought along with them their knowledge of artwork amongst other things and they intended to flee as down south as possible from whatever was chasing them.

It is possible that they got to their present location when they encountered the sea at eko. Or Maybe they got to Ife first.

Then they settled down and their propensity to build huge structures as evidenced by the giant statues of Pharaohs, the Sphinx and the pyramids got them to build the Eredo which looks like a gigantic fortress to keep out invaders or to mark territories, something you'd expect from people who had to flee their home because of a war or invasion.

So while I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that the Nok evolved into the Yorubas, There's also the possibility that the inhabitants of Kemet along the Nile evolved into the Nok people.

How sure are you that the markings on your grandmother's body aren't hieroglyphics?

Do you know that the name "Yoruba" was given to us by later inhabitants of the present day Northern Nigeria whom we call Awusa?

So it begs the questions
1. What is the meaning of the word "Yoruba"?

2. What was the original name of the people now known as Yoruba?

You say it's more likely that the Fulani came from Egypt because of their nomadic lifestyle. I disagree. The Fulani doest just walk around aimlessly because He likes walking. He is a nomad because he looks for the best pastures to graze his cattle on. So tell me, How would the fulanis roam their cattle towards the desert where there's no grass for grazing per se
PLEASE DON'T DESTROY MY HERITAGE. YORUBA WAS NEVER NOK AT ANY POINT IN TIME OF HISTORY. YORUBA CULTURE IS NOT RELATED TO ANY IN WEST AFRICA AND NIGERIA. IT STAND OUT AMONGST ALL. THIS IS THE REASON THE WHITE RESEARCHERS WHO HAD DONE MORE RESEARCH THAN EVEN THE ARAB TRAVELLERS KNOW YORUBA HISTORY MORE THAN THE LOCALS

IF YOU REFER TO CONNECTION BETWEEN YORUBA AND EDO PEOPLE, YORUBA THOUGHT THEM ART / SCULPTURE. BRITISH MUSEUM HAS FACT ON THIS ISSUE.

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Olu317(m): 7:43am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:

YORUBA EXISTED MORE THAN 2000 YEARS AGO. YORUBA WAS A CORRUPTION OF JOROBOAM.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by olureignforever: 7:47am On Mar 24, 2017
elfico:

Bilikis is an Arabic name for Queen of Sheba. so, it's either the name is a forgery or she actually was the Queen of Sheba which isn't likely considering that Queen Sheba existed long before Sungbo

In my own opinion, I think it was people who last saw her that gave her that name. From history,she didn't disclose her identity to people who had contact with her. Sungbo in yoruba means Sleeping in the bush.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 7:50am On Mar 24, 2017
Olu317:
PLEASE DON'T DESTROY MY HERITAGE. YORUBA WAS NEVER NOK AT ANY POINT IN TIME OF HISTORY. YORUBA CULTURE IS NOT RELATED TO ANY IN WEST AFRICA AND NIGERIA. IT STAND OUT AMONGST ALL. THIS IS THE REASON THE WHITE RESEARCHERS WHO HAD DONE MORE RESEARCH THAN EVEN THE ARAB TRAVELLERS KNOW YORUBA HISTORY MORE THAN THE LOCALS

IF YOU REFER TO CONNECTION BETWEEN YORUBA AND EDO PEOPLE, YORUBA THOUGHT THEM ART / SCULPTURE. BRITISH MUSEUM HAS FACT ON THIS ISSUE.

Did you read my post at all? Especially the last part?

There was a time when our progenitors weren't bearing the name "Yoruba". The term Yoruba in the history If those bearing that name is a very very recent appellation.

Besides where in my post did I mention edo?

Please read my post again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Adesoji Aderemi: Rolls-royce Of Late Ooni Of Ife On Display At OAU Convocation / Ooni Of Ife Arrives Redeemed Camp In His Luxury Rolls Royce. Photos / Can You Remember Those Pry Sch Songs We Love 2sing Back In D Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.