Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. (4065 Views)

FG Asks States To Ban Okada Operations / Oshiomhole Cant Ban Okada For He Belongs To The Working-Class, / Lagos To Ban Okada, Fashola’s Committee Endorses Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by selingel: 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2009
Akwa Ibom Assembly probes okada operators
From JOE EFFIONG, Uyo
Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hard times await commercial motorcyclists in Akwa Ibom State as the state House of Assembly has commenced investigation into their activities.

Saturday Sun learnt that the investigation is a prelude to getting rid of the ubiquitous transporters, known in the local parlance as alalok or akauke, whose existence, in recent times, has been a source of controversies and confusion even among top government officials.

At its sitting on Thursday, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly directed its Committee on Works and Transport to investigate the activities of the cyclists with the intention of regulating their activities and, if necessary, ban them in Uyo and its environs.

The Speaker, Obong Ignatius Edet, gave the directive while announcing the outcome of the executive session between the House members and the state Commissioner of Police in his office.
The House also summoned the state police commissioner, Mr. Walter Rugbere, to brief members on the security situation in the state, particularly on police investigation into the killing of Barr. Umo Udonwa, a former member of the House.

The speaker explained that the activities of the motorcyclists had to be investigated following persistent reports that perpetrators of violent crimes in Uyo were operating on motorcycles.
He also directed the Works and Transport Committee to inspect the police station at the Shelter Afrique Housing Estate and see what could be done to make the station fully functional.
In the same breath, Edet directed the House Committee on Information to put in place machinery to encourage the people of the state to co-operate with the police by giving information on criminals.
The speaker said that during the meeting the Police Commissioner gave assurance on improved security.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/dec/19/national-19-12-2009-00-008.htm
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by selingel: 4:43pm On Dec 19, 2009
Very soon, Nigeria will ban Okada riding, Shekinah!.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by chrisibu(m): 5:10pm On Dec 19, 2009
Few weeks ago commercial motorcyclists were banned in Calabar, now Uyo again. Very soon the whole 9ja will ban okada riders. Its a good development though.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by ZUBBYNWA(m): 5:30pm On Dec 19, 2009
which can development, so they want to stop the means of transportation
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by location(m): 5:35pm On Dec 19, 2009
my question is will the government provide another means of employment for those people who are already addicted to OKADA riding? and  how efficeint is this new source of job be please Nigerian government, try and creat efficent job before wiping out the already existing once, i know this Okada of a thing is not safe at all and i strongly believe it should be ban, but my fear is this: will the ban help the already impoverish masses?
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by THEAMAKA1: 5:45pm On Dec 19, 2009
before you know it the whole of Nigeria will ban okadas.
KAI!!
so many people will have no jobs.  embarassed
im really scared about the aftermath of all this banning.

my question is will the government provide another means of employment for those people who are already addicted to OKADA riding? and how efficeint is this new source of job be please Nigerian government, try and creat efficent job before wiping out the already existing once, i know this Okada of a thing is not safe at all and i strongly believe it should be ban, but my fear is this: will the ban help the already impoverish masses?
[size=30pt]GBAM!!![/size]
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by Youngichou(m): 6:02pm On Dec 19, 2009
Well good development but While doing this should not forget that this people strive to eat and also uses this occupation as a means of income
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by phuckNL: 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

before you know it the whole of Nigeria will ban okadas.
KAI!!
so many people will have no jobs.  embarassed
im really scared about the aftermath of all this banning.

[size=30pt]GBAM!!![/size]

You people just like talking sha. What about the alternative mopeds/keke napep various govts have started. Many okada riders have neglected it because it means they would have to queue up. They prefer their unsafe okadas. They should ban the thing already. If they ban it, they will find other things to do or embrace keke napep.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by CarlosVent(m): 6:26pm On Dec 19, 2009
we have many graduates with no job now dey want to take the jobs the Okada people have siting one reason or the other.
pls help me tell Governor Akpabio to please come out of his envoy one day and wait for taxi or bike or any means of transport to his house then he will understand d need of these bike men.

well create Jobs for them while u stop them. that's my advice
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by segzicres(m): 8:24pm On Dec 19, 2009
everything has it's disadvantages and it's advantages.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by coolier(f): 8:26pm On Dec 19, 2009
Good move.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by willyspace(m): 9:22pm On Dec 19, 2009
Very Soon,the town will be flooded with keke, a worst eyesore than Okada. Go to Umuahia, kekes everywhere, like a slum in Mumbai.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by charissa: 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2009
GREAT! OKADA is dangerous, YES OOOOOOOO. Source of livelihood yes, source of misery(amputees) and permanent loss to others too. Yes, it can take you right to your doorstep, or to heaven, or  hell too.It's the fastest getaway vehicle but is it a proper means of transportation?Safety and Security, VITAL ISSUES for human existence,
Weelll, Let the govt arrange how the riders will get the KEKE NAPEP to the OKADA riders at a higher purchase rate, KEKE is safer and carries2- 3 passengers. Its route can be traced easily too. Uyo Govt Should get organized and have something in place before throwing in the hammer.NIGERIANS sef! No solution ONLY to create WAHALA.WETIN?
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by charissa: 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2009
Very Soon,the town will be flooded with keke, a worst eyesore than Okada. Go to Umuahia, kekes everywhere, like a slum in Mumbai.

True, Cars are everywhere too. The British govt is encouraging motorists take the bus or the train, (advert: my second car is a bus?) All the govt needs to do is organise the KEKE NAPEP. If sanity can creep into lagos, there's hope for Nigeria
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by THEAMAKA1: 9:41pm On Dec 19, 2009
willyspace:

damn! i couldnt agree more.
those ugly looking things will look like some of the worst places in India. embarassed
since a lot of people probably cant afford their own car anyway, i encourage more public buses and there is a desperate need for a fuctioning connection of railway systems in every state and all over the country.
public buses and trains need to be added here.
and more public taxis.
those keke things. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by mamagee3(f): 9:41pm On Dec 19, 2009
People need jobs, It's better for the whole town to be flooded with Okada men
Than to be flooded with kidnappers all over the whole place
. tongue
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by H2O2: 9:46pm On Dec 19, 2009
okadas are an imminent danger.  the majority of okada drivers are not meticulous and they pose a constant threat to human lives.
suffice to say that a surfeit of them would only serve to make matters worse.

i wouldn't support a ban, but better regulations should be instituted.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by THEAMAKA1: 9:49pm On Dec 19, 2009
H2O2:

i wouldn't support a ban, but better regulations should be instituted.
true.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by H2O2: 9:54pm On Dec 19, 2009
willyspace:

lmbaolol
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by Sonofpeace(m): 9:57pm On Dec 19, 2009
This is a gud development only if there are alternative job for those okada riders. If not i fear Nigeria becoming worst than sudan. The govt should be careful of every decision they make.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by sealworld(m): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2009
[size=20pt]See as they want replace OKADA RIDER with MORE ARMED ROBBERS, this country sef[/size]
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by gidson12(m): 10:18pm On Dec 19, 2009
okada, una complain dem don ban am, keke come una still dey complain maybe na horse na im una want.[color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by dahrey: 10:25pm On Dec 19, 2009
It will be good banning them because they are causing more harm than good. Recently an okada rider killed my poor grandmum who was walking by on her own hale and hearty.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by MrCartha: 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2009
dahrey:

It will be good banning them because they are causing more harm than good. Recently an okada rider killed my poor grandmum who was walking by on her own hale and hearty.

'm in da support to move those nuisance of da streets of 9ija angry
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by Nija4Life(m): 10:57pm On Dec 19, 2009
I'm not a big fan of okada because I find it highly unsafe and it has sent many people to their early graves and maimed others for life. However, if you are going to ban them then you must provide a viable alternative that is available and affordable.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by megacity: 11:00pm On Dec 19, 2009
Intra-city public transport system is very inefficient, and Okada is about the only means of public transport in Akwa Ibom. Aside that, Okada is certainly one of the biggest employers of labour in that state! These realities should be addressed by the govt before any ban!
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by slap1(m): 11:40pm On Dec 19, 2009
Didn't these okada-banning-govs distribute d okadas 2 help fight unemployment? I fink bad roads r more of a nuisance dan okadas; bad roads shud be banned!
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by auwal87(m): 12:11am On Dec 20, 2009
They are too much in Kano (about 2 million), and they violate all traffic rules, they should be "controlled" at least.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by THEAMAKA1: 2:09am On Dec 20, 2009
slap1:

Didn't these okada-banning-govs distribute d okadas 2 help fight unemployment? I fink bad roads r more of a nuisance dan okadas; bad roads shud be banned!
hmmmmm, interesting point you got there.
i dont think its only the okadas thats problem, its all the factors including okadas.
maybe if people would follow the driving rules (if there are any in place) and there were better roads, i doubt it would be so hazardous. not only that increase other options of transportation, so that people have alternatives on what form of transportation they want to use.
hmmm. . . undecided

THE.AMAKA:

damn! i couldnt agree more.
those ugly looking things will look like some of the worst places in India. embarassed
since a lot of people probably cant afford their own car anyway, i encourage more public buses and there is a desperate need for a fuctioning connection of railway systems in every state and all over the country.
public buses and trains need to be added here.
and more public taxis.
those keke things. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by spoilt(f): 2:51am On Dec 20, 2009
How were the masses existing and feeding before the idea to use motorcycles as a means of transpportation?
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by THEAMAKA1: 2:59am On Dec 20, 2009
spoilt:

How were the masses existing and feeding before the idea to use motorcycles as a means of transpportation?
they should have thought about that before, now people are so dependant on it.
and im sure there are A LOT more people that have mouths to feed than before.
but its up to the government to come up with a reasonable solution before just banning things like that.
Re: Akwa Ibom Set To Ban Okada Riders!. by lovemoi2(f): 3:47am On Dec 20, 2009
why now haba

so what should the okada men do now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abia Gov's Son, Chinedu Beaten To Coma By Soldiers / You Can’t Query Me: Bafarawa To ACN / Enough Of This Oppression And Injustice Against Igbo Traders In Lagos State!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.