Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,023 members, 7,835,468 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. (1481 Views)

Why Is The Engine Fan Connected Direct To The Battery / Conversion From Auto To Manual Transmission - Highlander 2004 / Converting Auto Transmission To Manual On Golf 3 Your Opinion Please? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by Rupect: 6:50pm On Mar 23, 2017
I have this Lexus Rx300, recently I took it to a mechanic village at trade fair Lagos and I told the mechanic to change engine fan from automatic to manual which he did and afterward I notice that my car battery visca power runs down after packing the car for like 3 days without driving.

Unlike before I can pack it for like a week without driving and it still starts after a week packed.

Please what could be the possible cause of this. Is it that the changes I made in the fan or is the car battery getting week? Should I change it or charge it?

Please I need your urgent reply. The car battery is 2years now it a follow come battery with the car.

If there is a good mechanic around Ojo Alaba, Volks or Okoko side of Lagos that can be of help can pm me please.
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:10pm On Mar 23, 2017
Rupect:
I have this Lexus Rx300, recently I took it to a mechanic village at trade fair Lagos and I told the mechanic to change engine fan from automatic to manual which he did and afterward I notice that my car battery visca power runs down after packing the car for like 3 days without driving.

Unlike before I can pack it for like a week without driving and it still starts after a week packed.

Please what could be the possible cause of this. Is it that the changes I made in the fan or is the car battery getting week? Should I change it or charge it?

Please I need your urgent reply. The car battery is 2years now it a follow come battery with the car.

If there is a good mechanic around Ojo Alaba, Volks or Okoko side of Lagos that can be of help can pm me please.

how were the connections made? Why were the connections done?

1 Like

Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by duduwest(m): 7:11pm On Mar 23, 2017
Ask your technician to connect the fan in a way Which the fan will not pick unless the engine start, by this the light will not come direct from the battery
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by Denn(m): 10:07pm On Mar 23, 2017
Rupect:

Why did you 'rewire' your fan?

Can you kindly return the fan back to the default settings?

Evidently, your tech has done a kind of wiring that keeps the new and unnecessary fan relay energized at all times thereby sapping your battery.

You drive a Lexus...not an Iveco

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by honmusa(m): 10:08pm On Mar 23, 2017
duduwest:
Ask your technician to connect the fan in a way Which the fan will not pick unless the engine start, by this the light will not come direct from the battery

Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by diportivo: 11:06pm On Mar 23, 2017
Question is

Which one is a manual fan?

The Peugeot 505 kinda fan?

1 Like

Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by MPVGoddess: 11:11pm On Mar 23, 2017
[quote author=honmusa post=54883856][/quote]

OP, who send you?

In other news, am stealing this cat!
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by GuageLTD: 12:27pm On Mar 24, 2017
diportivo:
Question is
Which one is a manual fan?
The Peugeot 505 kinda fan?
lol abi keke marwa own?
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by Rupect: 1:46pm On Mar 24, 2017
I did the rewire so that I can drive without the A. C some cool time.

Denn:

Why did you 'rewire' your fan?

Can you kindly return the fan back to the default settings?

Evidently, your tech has done a kind of wiring that keeps the new and unnecessary fan relay energized at all times thereby sapping your battery.

You drive a Lexus...not an Iveco
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by Rupect: 1:49pm On Mar 24, 2017
He connected in such a way the fan start immediately you on the dashboard.

duduwest:
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by MightyThor(m): 2:46pm On Mar 24, 2017
By "manual" I assume you mean you by-passed the thermostat and connected the fan directly. Therefore your fan is always on.

Well you must have your reasons sha for doing that, but it does not make it right. if your car is overheating or your A/C is not cool enough you could have searched for the source of the problem and solved it rather than this direct connection thing.

The direct connection put extra strain on the battery and since your battery is "follow come" (Wet Cell type) and it has endured for two years, I think you may need to buy a new battery. (Our normal sealed type)

Still have an experienced electrician check to ensure your relays or a bridged wiring is not draining the battery.

1 Like

Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:20pm On Mar 24, 2017
MightyThor:
By "manual" I assume you mean you by-passed the thermostat and connected the fan directly. Therefore your fan is always on.

Well you must have your reasons sha for doing that, but it does not make it right. if your car is overheating or your A/C is not cool enough you could have searched for the source of the problem and solved it rather than this direct connection thing.

The direct connection put extra strain on the battery and since your battery is "follow come" (Wet Cell type) and it has endured for two years, I think you may need to buy a new battery. (Our normal sealed type)

Still have an experienced electrician check to ensure your relays or a bridged wiring is not draining the battery.
excellent analysis.

2 Likes

Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by Rupect: 7:44pm On Mar 24, 2017
MightyThor:

Thanks so much I will look for an experience electrician to check and fix it right.

I know this issue started immediately I told the to connect the fan so that if I don't feel like using A. C I can drive while the fan is on without the a. C. Because initially the fan is automated such that is on immediately you put on the A. C.
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 24, 2017
Rupect:

Thanks so much I will look for an experience electrician to check and fix it right.

I know this issue started immediately I told the to connect the fan so that if I don't feel like using A. C I can drive while the fan is on without the a. C. Because initially the fan is automated such that is on immediately you put on the A. C.

Bros with the default Fan set up, the fan will eventually come up even without ac... When the car gets to it's optimum temperature. Sometimes the engine might run for up to 15-20 mins without the fan coming up, so far it is not overheating u are fine, but it will eventually come up. Isn't it even better that the fan does not run all the time, abi u no like how quiet ur car is when driving without ac.

As for the battery, connecting the fan directly​ has very little to do with it. Ur battery is simply weak and needs a replacement. U said the battery came with the car and the car is already 2 yrs old, u bought the car as used, only God knows how long the previous owner has used the battery before shipping to Nigeria.
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by honmusa(m): 7:16am On Mar 25, 2017
Rupect:

If you can bring the car to my workshop @gbagada I can give u free diagnosis. Deadline is 6pm today.
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by SamAfoo: 1:20am On Mar 26, 2017
I have a Toyota Rav4 2006, 2.4L engine. My question now is, is it proper to connect the engine fan in such way that when you start the engine, the fan starts immediately and the ac fan start when you put on the ac? My reason for doing this was that I discovered that the two fans start work automatically and stop at the same time and if l put on the ac when the fans are at rest, the ac fan will not start.
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by honmusa(m): 7:14am On Mar 26, 2017
SamAfoo:
I have a Toyota Rav4 2006, 2.4L engine. My question now is, is it proper to connect the engine fan in such way that when you start the engine, the fan starts immediately and the ac fan start when you put on the ac? My reason for doing this was that I discovered that the two fans start work automatically and stop at the same time and if l put on the ac when the fans are at rest, the ac fan will not start.
If you decide to go by the way of kazeemisation of your cooling system by running your fan direct then this are what will happen to your car
1.Fuel consumption will go higher
2.Alternator will get fried very soon
3.Engine will soon start smoking as engine will not get lubricated as required since the engine temperature since has dropped
4.The expensive Catalytic converter will get damaged.
With all these condition ,the car is already on its way to early grave.
If I were you I will address the issue at hand by checking why the AC is not triggering the fan and get it resolved .It is a simple issue that any reasonable tech can resolve for you.
Re: Car Battery Runs Down After Changing Engine Fan To Manual. by fatiaforreal: 7:15pm On Mar 29, 2017
Hello Denn.
I stumbled on on this though, I had been looking for a way to get in touch with you since the panel interview in 2014, and that thread is virtually dead now. How is your business?

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide / Engine Takes Too Long To Crank / Are Manual Transmissions Really Safer And Easier To Maintain Than Auto?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.