Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites (89488 Views)

Bayero University Kano Post-UTME 2017/2018 Aptitude Test Announced / Top 15 Most Selected Courses By Students In JAMB UTME 2017 / Unilag 2017 Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Donpre(m): 9:07pm On Mar 29, 2017
Optimist1998:
[img]
Still Pressure
A rectangular tank contains water to a depth of 2m, if the base is 4m x 3m, calculate the force on the base (Density of water = 10 3 kgm -3 , g = 10ms -2 )
A. 1.4 x 10 2 N
B. 24 x 10 4 N
C. 2.0 x 10 4 N
D. 1.7 x 10 3 N
B

1 Like

Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 29, 2017
Nuel25846:
Tension A 1000kg elevator is descending vertically
with an acceleration of 1.0ms -2 , if the
acceleration due to gravity is 10ms -2 ,
the tension in the suspending cable is
A. 1.0N
B. 10.0N C. 9000.0N
D. 11 000N
1000kg*1.0ms+1000kg*10ms=11000N ans D
You didn't use the acceleration of 1m/s?
You're accelerating downwards
The formula is Tension= mg-ma

1 Like

Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
Donpre:

I think there isn't a correct option too

@Option C, Since velocity increases as temperature increases, and frequency remains constant, then wavelength should also increase and not decrease... could be a typo or a mistake. I'll Google search just to be sure
I really do hope it's a typo
Where you able to complete your jamb reg today?
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by emperor272(m): 10:02pm On Mar 29, 2017
why not let us create WhatsApp group.. for science students only
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by DeForesight(m): 10:14pm On Mar 29, 2017
grin grin grin

3.0 INCLUSIVE APPROACH TO SALE OF APPLICATION DOCUMENTS

As part of our approach to the ideal of Inclusiveness, we invited all Central Bank of Nigeria approved commercial banks to participate in the sale of the 2017 Board’s Application Documents. Sixteen (16) commercial banks and NIPOST honoured attended the interactive session where we explained the reason and need for all of them to partake in the exercise.

After the interactive session, thirteen (13) banks including NIPOST signified interest to participate in the sale of the 2017 Application Documents. Between the date of commencement of sale on Monday, 20th March and yesterday, Tuesday, 28th March, 2017, the following nine banks have paid for the number of Application Documents they require in the first instance.

The banks are:
(i) Zenith Bank
(ii) Union Bank
(iii) Sterling Bank
(iv) Unity Bank
(v) First City Monument Bank
(vi) Fidelity Bank
(vii) First Bank
(viii) Skye Bank
(ix) Jaiz Bank

Still in the spirit of our All-Inclusive approach, backed by our sincerity of intent and purpose, honesty, integrity and truthfulness and with the sole aim and objective of reaching out to all nooks and crannies both in urban and rural areas, we had to patronise the NIPOST, a sister agency, which has the reach out to very remote towns and villages. Even when NIPOST could not raise the capital to purchase the pins for the Application Documents, we had to open a credit line for NIPOST to also vend pin and pay later without reducing the commission that the organisation is entitled to per sale of document.

No bank needed to know the Registrar or any Management member or anybody at all before being patronised. Rather every bank was given the opportunity to participate. We are actually for everybody and belong to everyone.

4.0 PIN VENDING SYSTEM
Emerging from the retreat at Abeokuta, the Board has innovated a contemporary sale of application method, which has led to the elimination of scratch cards. The Board has adopted a cost saving procedure PIN Vending System. It is a secured system which has redressed the sharp practices associated with the use of scratch cards.

We are aware of the teething problems attendant to the introduction of the new sale format, and as a responsive body, we have taken steps to ease the challenges and in a few days, the results would be a seamless registration exercise all over the country.

5.0 SUPVERISION OF THE UNIFIED TERTIARY MATRICULATION EXAMINATION
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has no university of its own. It is our desire that all concerned should take the UTME as their own and make it a project. The process and product of the examinee would end up in our various tertiary institutions and as such, we should be mindful of this process. Whatever level of preparation carried out by us towards the conduct of the 2017 examination, if it is not well supervised, it will not produce the kind of results we expect.

The Board is using this retreat to place a clarion call to all stakeholders to ensure that all hands are on deck to make the conduct of public examination better.

The conduct of the Board’s examination which is a selection examination is the foundation of the quality of education in Nigeria. In view of this, I urge you to see Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and your involvement as a call to national duty and personal sacrifice.

I therefore urge all stakeholders especially our tertiary institutions to be actively involved in the supervision of the Board’s examination which will at the end benefit all and boost the quality of candidates that will be admitted into various institutions.

No sacrifice in this regards would be too big or too small to make by you and all Nigerians, as no amount can be paid to you that is worth your integrity.

6.0 EXAMINATION SCHEDULES
A large number of candidates who register for the Board’s examination are those who are also taking their Senior School Certificate Examination. These candidates sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination usually need in March/April when they have not completed the syllabus of the public examinations. This contributes to some extent to the dismal performance of the candidates in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.

What we have done this year is to ensure that the examination is scheduled in such a way that the candidates would be prepared and ready for both UTME and SSCE.

To achieve this, we met with other sister examination bodies and streamlined our timetables not only to ensure that candidates are prepared but also to avoid any clash of examination dates.

7.0 USE OF EIGHT KEYS WITHOUT A MOUSE
From the general feedback on the adoption of the Computer Based Test mode, we have noted the challenge of computer low level literacy of some candidates, especially with the phobia for the mouse. This has been responsible partly for the call by some people for reversal to the Paper and Pencil Test mode. In order to ensure equity and level playground for all candidates taking the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, the Board has designed a system that will allow candidates use only eight (cool keys without the use of the mouse.

All the candidates need to do is to press the letters A,B,C,D for responses (answer) to questions and keys:
P = Previous question
N = Next question
S = Submit responses when candidate has finished examination
R = Reverse (do not intend to go further to submit again)

8.0 EQUAL DISTRIBUTION OF CANDIDATES TO CENTRES
Following the standardisation of the Computer Based Test (CBT) centres in terms of carrying capacity of two hundred and fifty (250), candidates would be distributed evenly to all centres without any discrimination. No Centre would be favoured and no Centre would be discriminated against.

The examination Schedule, Timetable and Sessions have all been designed, streamlined and syncronised for the examination to start and end on the same day, except otherwise dictated by the number of candidates in a few states with low subscription.

9.0 NEW TRAINING MANUAL, FORMS AND ORGANOGRAM OF EXAMINATION OFFICIALS
From this year, the Board has automated different reporting forms for examination officials. These forms have been reviewed such that they are now designed to be responsive to issues at centres to serve as a quick signal for both the examination and Centre situations.

A new structure has also been put in place for the administration of the examination. We have introduced officials such as the Chief External Examiners, Zonal External Examiners, External Examiners, Peace Monitors etc.

All these categories of officials and their roles would be explained in the presentation that would follow shortly after these introduction and opening remarks.
smiley
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nuel25846(m): 10:22pm On Mar 29, 2017
Donpre:
which formula did you use?
Mass*Acceleration due to gravity+mass*Acceleration
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 29, 2017
Isaolamide:
Suggestion.

Can someone create WhatsApp group and add us there for brainstorming.
Mine is 07032430757 is there has been existing group for that
It could work but I'm not on whatsapp. Have you considered how we could easily digress to unimportant stuffs on WhatsApp?

plus the huge task of skimming through the chats you missed......
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Isaolamide: 10:35pm On Mar 29, 2017
[quote author=Optimist1998 post=55082764]
It could work but I'm not on whatsapp. Have you considered how we could easily digress to unimportant stuffs on WhatsApp?

plus the huge task of skimming through the chats you missed......[/quoteif that is the case,we skim through the messages here too
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
Isaolamide:
if that is the case,we skim through the messages here too
I understand your point but the messages here are kinda permanent compared to whatsapp and trust me it's easier to skim through the pages "here" than WhatsApp.
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
This place is cold undecided
I guess everybody's studying.
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Isaolamide: 11:21pm On Mar 29, 2017
Donpre:

B

Yes b..p=hpg and then use p=f/a
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Isaolamide: 11:22pm On Mar 29, 2017
Optimist1998:
Physics

-The resultant force of a couple is ………?
A. Infinity
B. Zero
C. One
D. Half

- Capacitors are used in the induction coil to
A. control circuits
B. prevent distortion of electric fields
C. prevent electric sparks
D. dissipate energy

- If the mechanical advantage of a machine is 4. What is its ratio for LOAD to EFFORT?
A. 4:01
B. 1:04
C. 5:01
D. 2:01

Can you please show us the solution?

-If a projectile has maximum range of 36m, find the speed of projection (Take g = 9.8m/s 2 )
A. 27m/s 2
B. 2m/s 2
C. 4m/s 2
D. 7m/s 2

Same rule; explain your answers

Edit: The question in bold undecided
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 30, 2017
Isaolamide:
Can you please show us the solution?
Kk
For that of capacitors.

Whats the function of a capacitor? Storage of charges

What about inductors?
They help to increase ElectroMotive Force (EMF)

How do they do it? By changing the direction of the corrent[img]http://4.bp..com/-4dZytBXjRhc/TrUSB0buh6I/AAAAAAAAAYg/K0mixYi6GIc/s1600/Symbol-Inductor-WikiForU.jpg[/img]
Basically an EMF is a force that drives electric charges. When you have an inductor in your circuit, you'll be pushing the charges with more force and they'll move faster as a result. This fast movement can lead to collisions (let's call it accident) which we see as electric sparks.

How can you prevent this?
Capacitors will help to remove some charges (in the process of storing),thus, reducing the number of charges available for collisions and voila no more sparks smiley

The question on Mechanical advantage was properly explained by Nuel25846

1 Like

Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 30, 2017
I. Mass
II. Density
III. Temperature
IV. Nature of substance
which of the above affect diffusion?

A. I and II only
B. I,II and IV only
C. II, III and IV only
D. I, II, III and IV

Past question thinks C is the answer
I think D is the answer
What do you think is the answer?
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Isaolamide: 6:40am On Mar 30, 2017
Optimist1998:

I. Mass
II. Density
III. Temperature
IV. Nature of substance

A. I and II only
B. I,II and IV only
C. II, III and IV only
D. I, II, III and IV

D is the answer as both mass,tempt and density affect it also nature whether solid liquid or gas
I think D is the answer
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 9:23am On Mar 30, 2017
Optimist1998:

I. Mass
II. Density
III. Temperature
IV. Nature of substance

A. I and II only
B. I,II and IV only
C. II, III and IV only
D. I, II, III and IV

I think D is the answer
you are right... Its D.
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 9:25am On Mar 30, 2017
Temperature; increase in temperature increases the movement of molecules/ increases in diffusion/decrease in temperature slows down movement of molecules/decreases diffusion
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 9:25am On Mar 30, 2017
State/nature of the diffusing substance; molecules in gaseous state diffuse faster than those in liquids or solid states/molecule in solid state diffuse slower than those of liquid and gas.
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 9:28am On Mar 30, 2017
Although its confusing when choosing the answer
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Donpre(m): 10:57am On Mar 30, 2017
Optimist1998:

I really do hope it's a typo
Where you able to complete your jamb reg today?
yea I was
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Donpre(m): 10:59am On Mar 30, 2017
Optimist1998:

I. Mass
II. Density
III. Temperature
IV. Nature of substance

A. I and II only
B. I,II and IV only
C. II, III and IV only
D. I, II, III and IV

I think D is the answer
Since density is directly dependent on mass and volume, C is definitely wrong... I'd go with D
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 11:05am On Mar 30, 2017
Donpre:

Since density is directly dependent on mass and volume, C is definitely wrong... I'd go with D
castrokiller:
you are right... Its D.
Past questions angry
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Donpre(m): 11:06am On Mar 30, 2017
Optimist1998:

Kk
For that of capacitors.

I don't understand, I thought capacitors store charge which it used by inductors to produce sparks. Now you're saying, capacitors reduce the number of charges and brings about less or no sparks

Maybe I gotta go revise that topic
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 11:07am On Mar 30, 2017
emperor272:
why not let us create WhatsApp group.. for science students only
WhatsApp won't Favour us
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Donpre(m): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2017
I'm also totally against the WhatsApp idea, the inefficiency of WhatsApp groups cannot be overemphasized
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 11:28am On Mar 30, 2017
Donpre:
I'm also totally against the WhatsApp idea, the inefficiency of WhatsApp groups cannot be overemphasized
What are u applying for... Mine is med%surg
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by pabostt: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2017
Optimist1998:
Good morning y'all

When light passes through two media x and y of refraction indices 1.51 and 1.33 respectively, the speed of light in
A. x is same as in y
B. x and y is same as in vacuum
C. x is higher than in y
D. y is higher than in x

Give reasons
The speed of light is higher in y than x because speed of light changes in different medium. The speed of light slows down in a dense medium(with higher refractive index). From V = c/n where n is the refractive index. You can visit http://servantboy.com/2017/03/20/optics-light-waves/ for more info.
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by pabostt: 11:38am On Mar 30, 2017
Donpre:
B

I'd go with D

Most Def A

I'm assuming there isn't an angle. using the formula for range, there wasn't a correct option but using the formula for maximum height, A would be correct

Are you sure the question is correct?... and the S.I unit of the answers is also wrong
The S.I base unit is wrong but the question is correct.
For maximum range angle is 45.
Rmax = u^2/g
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Donpre(m): 11:48am On Mar 30, 2017
castrokiller:
What are u applying for... Mine is med%surg
Same bro... which uni?
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by castrokiller(m): 11:49am On Mar 30, 2017
Its D... The speed of light is greater in y because of the refractive index of y
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 30, 2017
Donpre:
I don't understand, I thought capacitors store charge which it used by inductors to produce sparks. Now you're saying, capacitors reduce the number of charges and brings about less or no sparks

Maybe I gotta go revise that topic
Ok I'll wait till you revise it.
That should clear up the confusion.
Re: UTME 2017: Thread For Science Jambites by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 30, 2017
Donpre:
guy I remember you from last year's thread...
Are you writing this shiit again?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

COVID-19: Japanese University Conducts Graduation Ceremony Using Remote Robots / The Notorious Ekosodin Village Uniben / Pictures of University Of Ghana Beautiful Hostels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.