Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,114 members, 7,821,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President (5617 Views)

Yorubas Sign Petition Against Okonjo Iwela's Yale Award / Ribadu Defends Okonjo-iwela Over Alleged missing 30trn / Alleged N30tr Missing Under Okonjo-iwela Impossible! - Ribadu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by monkeyleg: 5:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
maybe, did we discuss politics?
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by Beaf: 5:56pm On Dec 24, 2009
monkeyleg:

maybe, did we discuss politics?

Are you (very very sadly), an arsenal supporter from the ND? Are you a cocao / sugar exporter / sourcer? If you are these things, I'll send you an email  grin.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by monkeyleg: 7:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
Hmm, Ol Boy you never come football for 4 weeks now. Wetin dey happen? I beg email me.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by KnowAll(m): 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2009
The Woman can never be President of Nigeria maybe the President of the World Bank, but not Nigeria.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by Beaf: 8:15pm On Dec 24, 2009
monkeyleg:

Hmm, Ol Boy you never come football for 4 weeks now. Wetin dey happen? I beg email me.

Don't worry, when I email you go know me grin, right now I'm suyaing and peppersouping in 9ja till 2010!
. . .Small World!
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by olisa07: 8:41pm On Dec 24, 2009
may it come to filfulment, God save Nigeria.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by vislabraye(m): 3:26am On Dec 25, 2009
She's good as the Finance minister or CBN governor. Q.E.D
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by stalliontp(m): 3:27am On Dec 25, 2009
she is loud and probably more interested in appearing in the front pages of news papers. I personally don't believe she has what it takes to rule a nation.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by Outstrip(f): 5:27am On Dec 25, 2009
I like the idea of a Fashola/Okonjo Iweala ticket. I don't consider her old meat either. She is definitely not the old politics we are used to.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by msb247(m): 2:08am On Dec 26, 2009
grin
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by beejaei: 2:47am On Dec 27, 2009
It seems to me that KoboJunkie may have an axe to grind with Okonjo-Iweala. Pray tell, how do you say that the woman is not fit to be president and then cannot give specific reasons why. My two cents:

-Based on her experience with economic and financial issues in the international circle, I think she is the kind of president Nigeria needs. She is not your average Yaradua or Obasanjo who get into politics for non-altruistic reasons ranging from corruption to ethnicity. If she decides to contest, more likely than not it will be because she feels she is capable of making a significant positive difference in the country. She is already internationally renowned and does not need to meddle in the Adedibu-style Amala politics that has now made my beloved country its permanent abode.

-Also, regarding Kobo's talk of new meat vs. old meat, I will say its simply utopian to expect that a political nobody from the mountains of Koma or whereever will wake up one morning and discover that he/she is the landlord of Aso Villa. Even Obama was already a Senator, albeit a junior one, before he became President. In fact, I believe that Okonjo and Fashola are in the mold of Obama in terms of experience and exposure to Federal politics.

-Finally, I dont see why anyone that means well for Nigeria will not see this as a possible good move for the country. Think of it, when last did this country have at its helm, a proven world-class intellectual? For the better parts of our history, we have had to make do with half-baked dimwits like Yaradua and full-fledged political thugs like Obasanjo. In people like Okonjo-Iweala and Fashola, we have first-class minds who have succeeded in their personal endeavors and who have the requisite knowledge ( especially economic ) to move Nigeria to prosperity. Granted that Okonjo-Iweala may not know the ropes in terms of dealing with the difficult terrain of ethnic politics in Nigeria, but to dismiss her outrightly without acknowledging her potential is at best myopic and at worst plain dumb. Besides the ethnic and religious wranglings that seem destined to send this nation on the journey the likes of the Rwandans and Balkans have been on, the single most important problem this country faces is the economy and how to translate the national wealth into prosperity for the population. If this premise is true, then I submit that given experience with international monetary and financial policy making, and her excellent record as Finance Minister in Nigeria, Dr. Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, at the very least, deserves to have her potential as a viable Nigerian President acknowledged. Thank You.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by beejaei: 3:05am On Dec 27, 2009
Absolute Fecking Legend! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Could not have said it better! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Well I dont know how most Nigerians see things some are outside the country feel and think they much and some are around yet will I say confused no ignorant.
Well on the topic Iweala is good going on her records I can say she's honest & gat will power but on the other hand can she withstand pressure or will she run to come back another day(resign).
On issue about new n old meat well on nija corridors of power fellow new meat are not allowed. The kind of leader that can deliver Nig for me is a sort of a freedom fighter someone who can fight for a cause who can stand up face the leaders and say enough is enough who can organise peacefull rallies an eloquent speaker who can stand n let us identify our problem n priority and so on for only then can we say no to corruption no to power failure no to pdp no intimidations etc .
However, this our Mandela , Luther king, Che Guevara can be ol or new meat its just all about dedication,determination n love for ones country cos u might not be alive to see it accomplished .
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by SEFAGO(m): 3:06am On Dec 27, 2009
GOD FORBID BAD THING! AM NOT AGAINST MADAM BUT NIGERIAN PRESIDENCY, CERTAINLY NOT A LADY!! EVEN THE MEN, HOW ARE THEY COPING/PERFORMING?

sexist ignorant pig
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by beejaei: 3:06am On Dec 27, 2009

Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President
« #94 on: December 24, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Quote from: Kobojunkie on December 23, 2009, 10:43 PM
Well,  the list is a long one but I think the following will do for this

a)   Person with proven leadership track record
b)   A great team player
c)   Has managed at least 5K people in the past and shown his/herself capable of not only delivering and running a good team, but also understands that he/she is responsible for work done by each and every member of his/her team
d)   Good understanding of job responsibilities, government and the role of the people in government
e)   Great understanding and openness to listen to the people at all levels
f)   Ability to ensure command our military
g)   Ability to represent us internationally
h)   Ability to manage the government, making sure decisions and programs are carried out effectively, with help of members of the cabinet
i)   Understands that his/her duties are to SERVE the people even as he/she is appointed to rule
j)   Ability to make decisions(especially under pressure) that will better the lot of the citizenry

Stu pid. The list is long and empty.

And of course, even with this long list, kobojunkie's candidate can be visionless (there is no mention of vision in the long empty list). Not only can kobojunkie's candidate be a visionless clown, they are also allowed to be corrupt (no mention of corruption in the long empty list). Also, they can be either cowards or plain daft (no mention of courage, wisdom or intelligence). . . I could go on until 2010, so many commonsense attributes of a leader are missing. . .

The list is just a loud effusion of hot air (but then, they say our words define us). There is no point shouting others down, when you have little (or nothing) to offer.

Could not have said it better. You took the words from my mouth.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by chiogo(f): 3:08am On Dec 27, 2009
Okonjo for President? I support.  tongue smiley

SEFAGO:

sexist ignorant pig
Indeed. Yet they wonder why Nigeria is backward. It's time for change. If the so-called males have achieved nothing, doesn't that show that something is wrong and change is needed? I swear some people never learn.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by becomrich16: 3:21am On Dec 27, 2009
Stop pushing this, Nigerian would not vote for her. If you know nigeria very very well, she would not win. Why dont you push for the governor of her state. That is the best for her. She cant win, why try to steal her money.

One, which state is she going to win. And I dont think she is acceptable to most nigerian. She is a great speaker, but it takes more than been a great speaker to be president of Nigeria. You have to be acceptable, which I dont think she is. And one problem is the way they handle the oil derivation in her term as minister of finance some of the state they allocated oil derivation were done in favour of some ethnics group by someone.

And two. She is not acceptable to the north because of the way the banking sector went under her as minister of finance.
I do not hate her, but i have to tell you how nigerian think.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by OAM4J: 3:34am On Dec 27, 2009
becomrich;:

Stop pushing this, Nigerian would not vote for her. If you know nigeria very very well, she would not win. Why dont you push for the governor of her state. That is the best for her. She cant win, why try to steal her money.

One, which state is she going to win. And I dont think she is acceptable to most nigerian. She is a great speaker, but it takes more than been a great speaker to be president of Nigeria. You have to be acceptable, which I dont think she is. And one problem is the way they handle the oil derivation in her term as minister of finance some of the state they allocated oil derivation were done in favour of some ethnics group by someone.

And two. She is not acceptable to the north because of the way the banking sector went under her as minister of finance.
I do not hate her, but[b] i have to tell you how nigerian think.[/b]

Becomerich, what makes you so sure you know how Nigerians think. After all you don't live in Nigeria.

You might be in for a shocker. Nigerians have far gone in their thinking since the 90s when you left Nigeria.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by Jaybee2412(m): 3:41am On Dec 27, 2009
SEFAGO:

sexist ignorant pig
Gbam
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by becomrich16: 3:44am On Dec 27, 2009
I am a nigerian and I have lived in several part of nigeria, and live with several people of different people. As someone who preach the gospel, I think I have preach the gospel to more than 200,000 people from different background.  I know how nigerian think and what they want.

And know she is not acceptable to northerners. If you doubt me. You can go to nigeria and do a poll in the northern part of nigeria. She would score less than 5%. in nigeria as a whole she would get less than 30% support.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by Nobody: 3:53am On Dec 27, 2009
she doesnt seem to have too many obviously northern links, unlike maryam babangida.

not saying that would prevent her from winning an election but its just an observation.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by becomrich16: 5:45am On Dec 27, 2009
is not an issue of having northerner links but how the north viewed the way she handle the banking reform. And you can see what it had lead too. Someone attempting to bomb the USA, whose father want islamic bank. You see even in the USA, there is what they call affinity action. In nigeria we have sure rules. Look I am a southerner and even if you have to go by the books, you have to put in place a situation like that as fall back.   And she fail to observe sure process.

This is what president do and I can tell you, in the minds of million of nigerian, she would not be accepted. Look she would make a very very good vice president. But not president. but a very good vice president.  You could see that soludo is smart , he never tried to dream of becoming president. He knows the banking reform would bite him in the asss. So he went for his state.

Like I said vice president. Yes , she would make a good one.  but not president.

As president of nigeria, I dont think I can ever make sure mistake they made. Look the issue of islamic banking would not come up. If they have put into consideration the ethics complexity of Nigeria. There would not be a bomber in the USA too.  For me I dont care if someone want islamic banking. As long as people go to their banks , what my business.

Banking should be open. People must have choice to make. It is thier money where they want to put it.  If they like, they go and put it in the ocean for all I care.  Even in the USA and canada they give room to sure banking system. I can open an Africa credit union or bank  if I want.  Or even Oduduwa bank, if i want.

Look we have TD bank-- Toronto Dominion bank.   Bank of montreal, Bank of Nova scotia etc.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by becomrich16: 6:03am On Dec 27, 2009
This is what I believe , that the freedom of association, freedom of worship/religion and the freedom of expression must be guarantee  for any nation to success. You can not put bottle neck to people freedom, either in the banking sector or any other sector of a nation.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by reeeby: 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2009
Please read:
A personal appeal from
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales [Hide][Show]Wikipedia Forever Our shared knowledge. Our shared treasure. Help us protect it. [Show]Wikipedia Forever Our shared knowledge. Our shared treasure. Help us protect it. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finance Minister of Nigeria
In office
July 2003 – June 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreign Minister of Nigeria
In office
June 2006 – August 3, 2006

Born June 13, 1954 (1954-06-13) (age 55)
Delta State, Nigeria
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (born June 13, 1954) was the former Finance Minister and Foreign Minister of Nigeria, notable for being the first woman to hold either of those positions. She served as finance minister from July 2003 until her appointment as foreign minister in June 2006, and as foreign minister until her resignation in August 2006. Okonjo-Iweala was considered as a possible replacement for former World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz.[1][2] On October 4 2007 she was appointed as Managing Director of the World Bank by World Bank President Robert Zoellick.

Contents [hide]
1 Education and personal life
2 Career
3 Non-profit work
4 Honors and awards
5 Works
6 References
7 External links

[edit] Education and personal life
Okonjo-Iweala is an Igbo[3] from Ogwashi-Uku, Delta State where her father Professor Chukuka Okonjo is the Obi, or King, from the Umu Obi Obahai Royal Family of Ogwashi-Ukwu.

Dr. Ngozi Iweala-Okonjo was educated at Harvard University (A.B. Magna Cum Laude 1977) and earned her Ph.D. in regional economics and development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She is married - her husband is from Umuahia, Abia State[4] - and they have four children. The eldest, Onyinye Iweala received her Ph.D. in Experimental Pathology from Harvard University in 2008 and currently attends Harvard Medical School. Her son, Uzodinma Iweala, is the author of the critically acclaimed novel Beasts of No Nation (2005).'

[edit] Career
Prior to her ministerial career in Nigeria, Okonjo-Iweala was vice-president and corporate secretary of the World Bank Group. She left it in 2003 after she was appointed to President Obasanjo's cabinet as Finance Minister on 15 July.

In October 2005, she led the Nigerian team that struck a deal with the Paris Club, a group of bilateral creditors, to pay a portion of Nigeria's external debt (US $12 billion) in return for an $18 billion debt write-off. Prior to the partial debt payment and write-off, Nigeria spent roughly U.S. $1 billion every year on debt servicing, without making a dent in the principal owed.

Okonjo-Iweala also introduced the practice of publishing each state's monthly financial allocation from the federal government in the newspapers. She was instrumental in helping Nigeria obtain its first ever sovereign credit rating (of BB minus) from Fitch and Standard & Poor's. Nigeria is considered to have defaulted on its sovereign debt in 1983 (debt rescheduling is considered a type of default by rating agencies).[5]

Some controversy surrounded Okonjo-Iweala’s appointment as Finance Minister, as well as that of Foreign Affairs minister, Olu Adeniji, as other ministers were resentful of their United Nations salaries of over US$240,000, compared with their own $6,000 base salary. The controversy was spearheaded by reform-minded media reports, although Okonjo-Iweala felt that her critics were unjustified because of the temporary nature of the payment, which came out of the donor supported Diaspora Fund negotiated by the Nigerian government[6] . On Friday, 20 July 2007, the Court of Appeal ruled that the salary payment was not done within the ambit of Nigeria's laws, and directed her and Adeniji to pay back the excess to the account of the state.

Both Okonjo-Iweala and the Federal Government of Nigeria have appealed the case to the Supreme Court, and judgement is pending. The appeal is on the basis that the appeals court made its judgement due to erroneous information provided to it that the Nigerian government was making the salary payments, when in fact it was not.

She resigned as Nigeria's Foreign Minister on August 3, 2006 following her sudden removal as head of Nigeria's Economic Intelligence team by President Olusegun Obasanjo. She left office at the end of August 2006.

On October 4, 2007, World Bank President Robert Zoellick appointed her to the post of Managing Director, effective December 1, 2007.[7]

[edit] Non-profit work
In 2007, Okonjo-Iweala's NGO, NOI Global Consulting, partnered with the Gallup Organization to introduce an opinion poll, the NOI poll, into the Nigerian polity.[8] She is a fellow at the Brookings Institution.[9] Okonjo-Iweala also serves on the Advisory Board of Global Financial Integrity and on the Board of Directors of the World Resources Institute.[10]

[edit] Honors and awards
Time Europe Hero 2004[7]
This Day Nigeria Minister of the Year 2004[7]
Euromoney Magazine Global Finance Minister of the year 2005[7]
Financial Times/The Banker African Finance Minister 2005[7]
Nigerian of the Year 2006.[11]
Honorary Doctorate from Brown University, Providence, RI, USA.
Honorary Doctorate from Trinity College, University of Dublin, Ireland.
Honorary Doctorate from Colby College, Maine, USA.
Honorary Doctorate from Northern Caribbean University, Mandeville, Jamaica.
Honorary Doctorate from Amherst College, Amherst, MA, USA.
Additionally, on September 28, 2007, Irish musician Bono was awarded the Liberty Medal. Bono donated the $100,000 prize to the Washington-based Debt AIDS Trade Africa, which he co-founded, and Okonjo-Iweala accepted the award on the organization's behalf.[12]

[edit] Works
Chinua Achebe: Teacher of Light - a biography of Nigerian author Chinua Achebe, published by Africa World Press, (2003), co-authored with Tijan Sallah.
The Debt Trap in Nigeria: Towards a Sustainable Debt Strategy - an academic piece, published by Africa World Press, (2003), co-edited with Charles C. Soludo and Mansur Muhtar
[edit] References
^ Wroughton, Lesley (2007-05-18). "INTERVIEW-Nigeria's Okonjo-Iweala for World Bank?". UK.Reuters.com (Reuters). http://uk.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUKN18413865._CH_.242020070518. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
^ McKenna, Barrie (2007-05-17). "Washington negotiating Wolfowitz's exit". Globe and Mail (CTVglobemedia Publishing). http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070517.wwolfowitz17/BNStory/International/home. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
^ Nwobu, Lawrence Chinedu (2006-01-31). "Ohanaeze and the Igbo Leadership Question". BNW Magazine. http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/lawrence_chinedu_nwobu/2006/01/31/ohanaeze_and_the_igbo_leadership_question.php. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
^ Elendu, Jonathan (2007-08-06). "Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: Tom or Joy". ElenduReports.com (Elendu Reports). http://elendureports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=245&Itemid=33. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
^ http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/current_issues/ci1-3.pdf
^ Paul Vallely (2006-05-16). "The woman who has the power to change Africa". The woman who has the power to change Africa. The Independent. http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/article484987.ece. Retrieved 2006-08-29.
^ a b c d e "President Zoellick Appoints Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as Managing Director, World Bank". Web.WorldBank.org (World Bank Group). 2007-10-04. http://go.worldbank.org/T0231Q5V70. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
^ Abiodun, Eromosele; Tumise Adekunle (2007-05-11). "Okonjo-Iweala Partners Gallup for Polling in Nigeria". Thisday online (Leaders & Company). http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=77863. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
^ "Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Former Nigerian Finance and Foreign Minister, Joins Brookings". Brookings Institution website. Brookings Institution. 2007-01-10. http://www.brook.edu/comm/news/20070110.htm. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
^ "WRI Elects Cadoso, Gore, Okonjo-Iweala and Thomas". World Resources Institute website. World Resources Institute. 2005-08-18. http://www.wri.org/newsroom/newsrelease_text.cfm?NewsReleaseID=335. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
^ Nworah, Uche (2006-11-28). "Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Honoured As Nigerian Of The Year 2006". Nigeria Village Square. http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/uche-nworah/ngozi-okonjo-iweala-honoured-as-nigerian-of-the-year.html. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
^ "Bono gets medal for his work in Africa". Associated Press via The Washington Post (The Washington Post Company). 2007-09-27. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/27/AR2007092702587.html. Retrieved 2007-10-07.
[edit] External links
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Video of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the TED Conference
Time Europe's Heroes of 2004
'I keep my ego in my handbag', interview in The Guardian, August 2005
Preceded by
Adamu Ciroma Finance Minister of Nigeria
May, 2003–July, 2006 Succeeded by
Nnenadi Usman
Preceded by
Oluyemi Adeniji Foreign Minister of Nigeria
July, 2006–August, 2006 Succeeded by
Joy Ogwu
[hide]v • d • eForeign Ministers of Nigeria

Jaja Wachuku • Nuhu Bamalli • Yakubu Gowon • Arikpo Okoi • Joseph Nanven Garba • Henry Adefope • Ishaya Audu • Emeka Anyaoku • Ibrahim Gambari • Bolaji Akinyemi • Ike Nwachukwu • Rilwan Lukman • Ike Nwachukwu • Matthew Mbu • Baba Gana Kingibe • Tom Ikimi • Ignatius Olisemeka • Sule Lamido • Oluyemi Adeniji • Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala • Joy Ogwu • Ojo Maduekwe

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngozi_Okonjo-Iweala"
Categories: Igbo people | People from Delta State | Living people | 1954 births | Nigerian politicians | Igbo politicians | Foreign ministers of Nigeria | Finance ministers of Nigeria | Harvard University alumni | Massachusetts Institute of Technology alumni | Female foreign ministers
ViewsArticle Discussion Edit this page History Personal toolsTry Beta Log in / create account Navigation
Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Search
Interaction
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact Wikipedia
Donate to Wikipedia
Help
Toolbox
What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Printable version
Permanent link
Cite this page
Languages
Deutsch
Yorùbá

This page was last modified on 13 December 2009 at 18:17. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.Contact us Privacy policy About Wikipedia Disclaimers
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by urch01: 10:04pm On Dec 31, 2009
Well nice contribution all.

The first problems we do, is admire qualifications. This is not enough to lead a country. There are other qualities required by a leader to make a difference given the opportunity. She is a great woman who has achieved and done very well for our country with respect to achieving a debt free nation.  My opinion is she can lead our country to a great future but she is also corrupt to the ideas of the institutions she worked for. If she do lead our country,there is the chance that our policies would be subject to global institutions(IMF,World Bank,WTO) who are having double standards to developed countries which they represent.

We should take the Chinese economy as a model in moving our economy to development

For me, i would choose a leader such as  Dora Akinyuleyi and Charles Soludo. These are individuals who came  out with models of their own though with the backing of a leader who accept their ideology and gave them support in implementing such models. They know the environment they intend to work.

Note this is my opinion and open to critics.

Thank you.
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by mikeobk(m): 11:45pm On Jul 24, 2014
This is democracy, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and if you want to think Mrs. Okonjo cant serve Nigeria as needed just because she's 'Female' or you have personal issues with change, its your opinion. To start with, Mrs. okonjo has handled very significant positions the the past (locally and internationally), we all have ideas as to how responsible she was while in those positions. She has gained international recognition for accountability and I must say that is the kind of 1st citizen Nigeria truely needs at the moment because the country's image is nasty to the international community; which we are well aware of. GEJ didnt have the exposure Mrs. Okonjo has but he has been in power, he was only a zoology lecturer-turned-councellor. In my opinion, Nigerians (at home and in diasporal) should embrace the fact that we deserve a leader who actually knows what is obtainable in developed/progressing countries and effect significant changes to all sectors of our economy. We shouldn't think less of a female president, she wont be carrying AK-47s to sambisa neither would she arrest economic/financial crimes' offenders by herself. Nigeria needs a complete turnaround and i believe a female president with good reputation can engineer that turn
Re: Mrs Okonjo Iwela For President by ogbronx(m): 12:09am On Jul 25, 2014
Most of you give her credit for debt relief right? How much are we owing now. How many of you know that debt relief wasn't all that a good thing as sold to us?
Don't get me wrong and I am not a bigot. I have nothing against igbos but I have profound fear for that woman and the policies she has pushed over time .
Her presidency would be IMF overly influenced and we know that IMF ain't good to Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Questions Over Uduaghan's Role In Killing Of Delta State Ex-gov Candidate. / Richest Presidents In The World / President-jonathan-queries-cbn-governor-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.