Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,814 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out (2978 Views)

I Don’t Enjoy Sex With My Wife - Man Cries Out / Why I Butchered My Husband And Buried Him / Nigerian Doctors Butchered My Wife... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by romelady(f): 5:51am On Mar 29, 2017
Medical errors in hospitals kill more Nigerians every year than AIDS, malaria, breast cancer and auto accidents combined.

But Arlindo Defreitas, a Portuguese national living in Lagos, never thought his wife would be one of those statistics. After all, he attended almost 5 years of medical school back in Portugal. But when his wife took a turn for the worse during a cesarean section at the Medical Art Center (MART) in Lagos, he went from being confident to helpless and lost husband, afraid of questioning the care she was getting, for fear it would become worse. Arlindo, who now has to care for his son alone after his wife died following the cesarean section, says his wife was killed by doctors at the Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Onigbongbo, Lagos, based hospital. "When I entered the theater all her organs was scattered around, I couldn't look , it was like the work of a butcher." I told the doctor my wife is not a cow, he said. Arlindo said his wife, Amaka, 24, showed no signs of distress in the weeks following up to the c-section. According to him, after 4 years trying to conceive, his wife finally got pregnant and was a pre-natal care patient at the MART Hospital. " Last week Friday at 41 weeks of pregnancy, doctors at the hospital told us that no baby water was seen and as a result a cesarean section operation must be done as soon as possible." The procedure was done and the baby was delivered by 8.30 am on Saturday, and we were very happy- for a short time, he said. "I was very happy even though the baby almost died as I was told by the doctors that the baby was almost 'strangled' by the umbilical cord, the head was red and one arm was white, the skin was very wrinkled." "My wife was moved out of the theater and transferred to a private room to recuperate"' At some point she was in excruciating pain, and the doctors kept giving her doses upon doses of pain killers". "I was uncomfortable and I told them that from my experience as a medical student years ago I think my wife hemorrhaged. At that point Arlindo watched as her condition steadily worsened, until doctors asked him to leave the room. He claimed that after his persistence the doctors ran a test and said that his wife lost a lot of blood during the cesarean section. "I was asked to leave and wait for a call before coming back, so I went home". In the words of Michael Klimek, a friend of Arlindo and a fellow European from Germany, " after she delivered the baby, the doctor told her that she have to drink 5 bottles of water ." I was shocked, everybody knows how dangerous it is for a woman that just underwent C- Section to drink water". " After drinking the water, the bleeding started and it won´t stop. They gave her 2 bags of blood-transfusion, but it was not helpful." "Hours later the doctors said they have to cut her open again to find out what was going on with her, Klimek said in shock. At that point the husband said he was told that she has low blood a 12.7% packed cell volume (PCV)". " I said why can't you use ultrasonic Tools and scans to see what’s going on, instead of cutting her open again and allowing her lose more blood which is already a problem". "By the time I got to the hospital, they already cut her open for the second surgery, they opened her thorax from under the breast down – and finally, they found nothing after 4 hours of operation." "I was an emotional wreck by this point." I never gave consent for the second surgery, nobody in my wife's family did, Arlindo told Per Second News . "Until this moment cause of death is still unknown". "I don´t understand this doctors and hospitals. This “Photoshop certificate Doctor” killed our best friend and for this he must be imprisoned for life and the MART Hospital shut down for ever. And none of this doctor or nurses must practice in this profession again, said an angry Klimek, friend of the husband. " I am from Germany and when this things happen in Germany or Europe, the government conduct an investigation, I hope, this will be the same here, he asked. "Now I can understand, why your president went to medical check up outside of Nigeria, he concluded. The husband of the deceased claim that one Dr Moses butchered his wife to death, "yes Moses killed my wife". " After they noticed their mistake they refuse to tell me details, I called them continuously and they won't pick my phone". Per Second News reached out to the hospital and the chief medical director, Prof Oladapo Ashiru, said the Mart medicare gave the deceased high quality care with experienced professionals. " The lady Amaka, was young, she said she was 24 but she looked 21". " He said all those that attended to her from the Obstetrician to the Anesthesiologist and Nurses are well experienced professionals. Ashiru said he has well over 40 years experience. He revealed that he was not part of the team that worked on Amaka and directed us to the consultant who spoke to Per Second News about what transpired. MART MEDICARE According to Dr Makewu of the MART hospital, "w ith the help of fertility doctors from the MART Center, Amaka Defeitas, conceived using IVF, after which we had a meeting with the couple detailing a 13 week management plan that includes C-section at birth. "Mr Defreitas rejected the C-section saying he wanted his wife to have it the natural way, despite several medical advice from us". "At 37 weeks there was no sign of labor and they were still insisting on natural means". I didn't see them or hear from them again until I called them at 39 weeks and she said she travelled and was not around". "They finally came when the pregnancy was a 41 weeks. " After a scan no baby water was seen at that point I told them categorically that a C-Section must be done immediately." "We did the procedure and the baby arrived Saturday morning, except for the umbilical cord that was around the baby's neck, everything was fine, both mother and baby were fine and we even moved her out of the theater to the normal room for her to recuperate." " Hours after the first surgery she started complaining of tummy ache and severe pain, despite the pain killers being administered on her, she also complained of abdominal pain. "She was pale and we ran a test and found out that her blood level was 12.7 percent low, at that point we did the second surgery to find out what was the cause of pain". Dr Makewu put the blame at the doorsteps of the Defreitas, saying the operation should have been done weeks before the 41 week period. Asked about cause of death, he said autopsy is currently being carried out. But Mr Defreitas insists that it was an error on the part of the doctors to cut his wife open for the second time within a 24 hour period. Justifying his claim, Defreitas, said he did not give his consent for the second surgery because he expected the hospital to do a comprehensive CT-Scan of the Pelvic & Abdomen to get the right diagnosis, rather the doctors did a normal blood test which will never tell you if a patient has a blood clot or something more fatal. " I insisted in scan but before I arrived at the hospital they already cut her open and allowing her to lose more blood leading to her death". A doctor close to the family said " Possibly she bled a lot at first surgery, maybe the womb did not contract well also". " She could also have had a DIC (Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation) an acquired bleeding disorder from too much blood loss, which makes it impossible for the body to stop further blood loss". Defreitas, a retired professional with Lufthansa, German airline opened up in a lengthy discussion with Per Second News about living with the heartbreaking loss of his wife, Amaka, an Imo state indigene. The family are still in shock and traumatised over the mysterious death of Amaka Defreitas, with the husband demanding that an independent postmortem be done on the remains of his wife. " We travelled all over the world together and looking forward to spending our lives in Nigeria, its so sad, I don't know what to do next". Speaking with Per Second News Dr Tiffany Jones, a US based obstetrician, said the case of the late Amaka Defreitas, is both pathetic and curious, wondering the rationale for making her go under the knife within 24 hours after the C-Section. She said the most common reason women die during C-sections is bleeding. Bleeding can be fast and severe and by the time any medical protocol can be instituted, sometimes it’s just too late. " That is why I believe the second surgery was not necessary". "Other C-section complications include bladder injury, infection, bowel injuries and blood clots, which can sometimes result in pulmonary embolisms. A pulmonary embolism is a potentially fatal blockage of the main artery of the lung by a substance that has traveled from somewhere else in the body."

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Amaka’s husband, family and son during this difficult time.

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Nobody: 5:53am On Mar 29, 2017
R.I.P to her

But op no source
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by GboyegaD(m): 5:54am On Mar 29, 2017
May her soul rest in peace and God comfort the family she left behind.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by decatalyst(m): 6:08am On Mar 29, 2017
This explains the pains and trauma our women and sick people go through in the hand of Nigeria health practitioners. shocked

Can we ever get anything right in this country cry

It feels bad seeing your loved one die while you watch and unable to salvage the situation because one dumb head feels he is right.

RIP and he Arlindo finds solace in God and in the little man. Amen
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by sisisioge: 6:16am On Mar 29, 2017
Dearlordinheaven! This is so terrible! So very terrible!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by hakimi1974(m): 6:22am On Mar 29, 2017
I fear private hospitals pass nigerian police.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by capatainrambo: 6:36am On Mar 29, 2017
those doctors are in soup
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Kondomatic(m): 6:36am On Mar 29, 2017
hakimi1974:
I fear private hospitals pass nigerian police.
Some of them are good
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by blaise26abj(m): 6:47am On Mar 29, 2017
I'm surprised the chief medical director answered newspaper's inquiry. Is it because the man is Portuguese and he is fearing an international inquiry? These medical personnel can be so arrogant to their fellow citizens. Medical error killed a friend at UCH during childbirth. Medical error killed a friend's Granma in abuja. The Nigerian medical society protects their own especially doctors. Mistakenly attended a hospital management meeting where they were discussing some cases. The resident doctor read out the patient files and upon completion, the Cmd stood up and said " you killed the patient". Then he went on to prove his statement. I was stunned. The people around us kept staring at us wondering what we were doing there . I and my friend quietly excused ourselves . There are good doctors in this country. However the good ones should stop protecting the bad ones. It is sickening when a human life is involved.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Young03(m): 6:57am On Mar 29, 2017
butchered, na meat
may we not be butchered IJN
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by jchioma: 7:09am On Mar 29, 2017
O! Dis is so pathetic. Poor Amaka! Why give her water just after a CS operation instead of administering drip? Photoshop certificate doctors. Do we still wonder why the elites keep fleeing Naija in search for medical treatment abroad?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by HARDDON: 7:33am On Mar 29, 2017
What barbaric quack road side, half baked herbalists on medical robes!

Imagine tearing up a body 2ce under 24hours even without d husby's conscent! What animals!

Shuting down d hospital, arresting al that were involved n jailing them 4 lyf wudnt bring her back but its lil step to ryt a bleeding wrong!

btw op, do u know what d term paragraphing is?

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Laird(m): 8:35am On Mar 29, 2017
Which quackery

The Doctors adviced the couple to do surgery Caesarean section before the time of delivery due to the pregnancy being a high risk.pregnancy. the couple refused and declined the surgery

Now when the Pregnancy was Post date and past the delivery period and at severe risk of complications...couple came back to the Hospital

It's like someone refusing to patch a leaking tyre and then coming back months later to the vulcanizer with a burst tyre. Really who's fault

When I tell people, I want my future wife to be to do elective surgery to avoid stories that touch, they think I am selfish. Elective surgery c/s is safer to Me and has less risks than Normal delivery from my little Medical experience and opinion

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 29, 2017
Na wa cry
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 29, 2017
Laird:
Which quackery

The Doctors adviced the couple to do surgery Caesarean section before the time of delivery due to the pregnancy being a high risk.pregnancy. the couple refused and declined the surgery

Now when the Pregnancy was Post date and past the delivery period and at severe risk of complications...couple came back to the Hospital

It's like someone refusing to patch a leaking tyre and then coming back months later to the vulcanizer with a burst tyre. Really who's fault

When I tell people, I want my future wife to be to do elective surgery to avoid stories that touch, they think I am selfish. Elective surgery c/s is safer to Me and has less risks than Normal delivery from my little Medical experience and opinion

Are you minding them? Once they see 'Nigerian hospital' they begin to pass blame on the government without reading.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by metallisc(m): 10:01am On Mar 29, 2017
Pidgin2:

Are you minding them? Once they see 'Nigerian hospital' they begin to pass blame on the government without reading.

if you DID READ, you would have seen where the husband opted for a CT scan - which would have been the reasonable and professional thing to do in the first place. That would also have helped the erring doctors to find out what/where the problem was - a problem that wouldn't have come up if they had done a good job the first time!

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 29, 2017
Maternal mortality is a thing of the past but in Nigeria...

complications during childbirth is something Nigerian hospitals still find hard to contain.

I know how it feels. I lost someone close to me this same way too.

sad

1 Like

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by confun: 8:42pm On Mar 29, 2017
metallisc:

if you DID READ, you would have seen where the husband opted for a CT scan - which would have been the reasonable and professional thing to do in the first place. That would also have helped the erring doctors to find out what/where the problem was - a problem that wouldn't have come up if they had done a good job the first time!
guy, pls cover your shame abeg, did you just say a CT scan?.... immediately post c/s?, to know d cause of bleeding?.... pls confirm from professionals before you mis yarn...
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Laird(m): 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2017
Pidgin2:

The couple have misplaced priorities; They could spend money travelling the World to enjoy themselves/ flex but couldn't SPEND MONEY travelling ABROAD FOR HEALTHCARE.

IF THey were told to.do C/S abroad...would.they refuse. because it is a Nigerian Hospital...they refused expert Medical advice...at a huge risk with painful effects

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Laird(m): 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2017
metallisc:

CT scan for what reason....The husband did not finish Medical School unfortunately and sometimes keeping quiet is better than showing ignorance
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:23pm On Mar 29, 2017
Nigeria Dokitas are advanced first aid givers
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by confun: 3:58am On Mar 30, 2017
Laird:

CT scan for what reason....The husband did not finish Medical School unfortunately and sometimes keeping quiet is better than showing ignorance
dt guy just dey display ignorance, don't mind him....
the husband sef didn't finish medical sch,I guess he was withdrawn, no Wonder he is also displaying ignorance. birds of same feathers...

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by metallisc(m): 1:37pm On Mar 30, 2017
Laird:

i can clearly see your misplaced intelligence in ignorance...

Tests and Procedures | CT scan

Why it's done

Your doctor may recommend a CT scan to help:

.Diagnose muscle and bone disorders, such as bone tumors and fractures
.Pinpoint the location of a tumor, infection or blood clot
.Guide procedures such as surgery, biopsy and radiation therapy
.Detect and monitor diseases and conditions such as cancer, heart disease, lung nodules and liver masses
.Monitor the effectiveness of certain treatments, such as cancer treatment
.Detect internal injuries and internal bleeding

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by metallisc(m): 1:39pm On Mar 30, 2017
confun:
guy, pls cover your shame abeg, did you just say a CT scan?.... immediately post c/s?, to know d cause of bleeding?.... pls confirm from professionals before you mis yarn...

your shame should actually be covered before i even start considering mine,
it is quacks like you that kill people on the table!

Tests and Procedures | CT scan

Why it's done

Your doctor may recommend a CT scan to help:

.Diagnose muscle and bone disorders, such as bone tumors and fractures
.Pinpoint the location of a tumor, infection or blood clot
.Guide procedures such as surgery, biopsy and radiation therapy
.Detect and monitor diseases and conditions such as cancer, heart disease, lung nodules and liver masses
.Monitor the effectiveness of certain treatments, such as cancer treatment
.Detect internal injuries and internal bleeding

1 Like

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 30, 2017
The oyibo man fuckup.
Ordinary civil servants, bank workers, workers in parastals save money ahead to fly their wives abroad for safe delivery.
At least he has lived in Nigeria for 5years. He should Av known hospitals in Nigeria are death traps. Women delivering their babies in Nigeria it's just God that's seeing them through. If u know how many times ,pregnant women attending churches go for special prayers and night vigils. Muslimah dem meet with alfas and pray know mosques or at home at every minutes, women who believes in native doctor, If u know how many sacrifices they have done by traditionalists all for safe delivery. U will be amazed.
Send youths to school to learn, most all they know is how sag jeans and fucvk girls and boys. Nigerians youths Both boys and girls have lost focus. Yeah we know the government has failed in its duties to the people..
But should we as a human being fail ourself?
If it's Big brother Africa or Nigeria, almost everyone will give each other a perfect repititon of what happened from day one to today's episode. No dulling with it.
Rapt attention to such programmes cannot be compared to another.
Who are we doing?
There are so many misplaced priorities out there.
Must the youths choose to fail themselves partying and clubbing and expect money to just fall from heaven, down below after graduating with unmerited results.
People are no longer interested in dishing out values. All Nigerians want is fun.. Who fun epp?
Youths are no longer interested in understanding the course they are studying

And everybody wants to be rich..baba God answer my call o

Really?
When u actually do not know what u are even doing.
May God open the eyes of people to realise what they are doing to themselves...amen
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by otokx(m): 4:46pm On Mar 30, 2017
Autopsy will most probably be inconclusive, a public enquiry will cost tax payers money. If the guy is so convinced, let him approach the medical and dental council or the court of law.

The hospital it appears is liable for conducting a second surgery without consent.

Finally human error is always a possibility even in advanced countries tho quite rare.
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by Qasaforlife(f): 9:17pm On Mar 30, 2017
Laird:
Which quackery

When I tell people, I want my future wife to be to do elective surgery to avoid stories that touch, they think I am selfish. Elective surgery c/
s is safer to Me and has less risks than Normal delivery from my little Medical experience and opinion
it' not post dated except after 42weeks. d doctors hv a lot too answer in dis case. Giving water orally to a person dat went for major surgery? dat is pure hell which can lead to severe complications .

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by confun: 7:20am On Mar 31, 2017
undecided
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by jidobaba(m): 10:47am On Mar 31, 2017
otokx:

The hospital it appears is liable for conducting a second surgery without consent.

Debatable. Same day, same complications, so I think it falls within the window of justifiable reason. She was bleeding out.
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by davidif: 5:51pm On Apr 06, 2017
romelady:

Medical errors in hospitals kill more Nigerians every year
than AIDS, malaria, breast cancer and auto accidents
combined.

But Arlindo Defreitas, a Portuguese national living in
Lagos, never thought his wife would be one of those
statistics. After all, he attended almost 5 years of
medical school back in Portugal.
But when his wife took a turn for the worse during a
cesarean section at the Medical Art Center (MART) in
Lagos, he went from being confident to helpless and lost
husband, afraid of questioning the care she was getting,
for fear it would become worse.
Arlindo, who now has to care for his son alone after his
wife died following the cesarean section, says his wife
was killed by doctors at the Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way,
Onigbongbo, Lagos, based hospital.
"When I entered the theater all her organs was scattered
around, I couldn't look , it was like the work of a
butcher." I told the doctor my wife is not a cow, he said.
Arlindo said his wife, Amaka, 24, showed no signs of
distress in the weeks following up to the c-section.
According to him, after 4 years trying to conceive, his
wife finally got pregnant and was a pre-natal care
patient at the MART Hospital.
" Last week Friday at 41 weeks of pregnancy, doctors at
the hospital told us that no baby water was seen and as
a result a cesarean section operation must be done as
soon as possible." The procedure was done and the
baby was delivered by 8.30 am on Saturday, and we were
very happy- for a short time, he said.
"I was very happy even though the baby almost died as I
was told by the doctors that the baby was almost
'strangled' by the umbilical cord, the head was red and
one arm was white, the skin was very wrinkled." "My
wife was moved out of the theater and transferred to a
private room to recuperate"' At some point she was in
excruciating pain, and the doctors kept giving her doses
upon doses of pain killers".
"I was uncomfortable and I told them that from my
experience as a medical student years ago I think my
wife hemorrhaged. At that point Arlindo watched as her
condition steadily worsened, until doctors asked him to
leave the room. He claimed that after his persistence the
doctors ran a test and said that his wife lost a lot of
blood during the cesarean section.
"I was asked to leave and wait for a call before coming
back, so I went home".
In the words of Michael Klimek, a friend of Arlindo and a
fellow European from Germany, " after she delivered the
baby, the doctor told her that she have to drink 5
bottles of water ." I was shocked, everybody knows how
dangerous it is for a woman that just underwent C-
Section to drink water". " After drinking the water, the
bleeding started and it won´t stop. They gave her 2 bags
of blood-transfusion, but it was not helpful."
"Hours later the doctors said they have to cut her open
again to find out what was going on with her, Klimek
said in shock. At that point the husband said he was
told that she has low blood a 12.7% packed cell volume
(PCV)".
" I said why can't you use ultrasonic Tools and scans to
see what’s going on, instead of cutting her open again
and allowing her lose more blood which is already a
problem".
"By the time I got to the hospital, they already cut her
open for the second surgery, they opened her thorax
from under the breast down – and finally, they found
nothing after 4 hours of operation."
"I was an emotional wreck by this point." I never gave
consent for the second surgery, nobody in my wife's
family did, Arlindo told Per Second News . "Until this
moment cause of death is still unknown".
"I don´t understand this doctors and hospitals. This
“Photoshop certificate Doctor” killed our best friend and
for this he must be imprisoned for life and the MART
Hospital shut down for ever. And none of this doctor or
nurses must practice in this profession again, said an
angry Klimek, friend of the husband.
" I am from Germany and when this things happen in
Germany or Europe, the government conduct an
investigation, I hope, this will be the same here, he
asked.
"Now I can understand, why your president went to
medical check up outside of Nigeria, he concluded.
The husband of the deceased claim that one Dr Moses
butchered his wife to death, "yes Moses killed my wife".
" After they noticed their mistake they refuse to tell me
details, I called them continuously and they won't pick
my phone".
Per Second News reached out to the hospital and the
chief medical director, Prof Oladapo Ashiru, said the
Mart medicare gave the deceased high quality care with
experienced professionals.
" The lady Amaka, was young, she said she was 24 but
she looked 21". " He said all those that attended to her
from the Obstetrician to the Anesthesiologist and Nurses
are well experienced professionals. Ashiru said he has
well over 40 years experience. He revealed that he was
not part of the team that worked on Amaka and directed
us to the consultant who spoke to Per Second News
about what transpired.
MART MEDICARE
According to Dr Makewu of the MART hospital, "w ith the
help of fertility doctors from the MART Center, Amaka
Defeitas, conceived using IVF, after which we had a
meeting with the couple detailing a 13 week
management plan that includes C-section at birth.
"Mr Defreitas rejected the C-section saying he wanted
his wife to have it the natural way, despite several
medical advice from us".
"At 37 weeks there was no sign of labor and they were
still insisting on natural means". I didn't see them or
hear from them again until I called them at 39 weeks and
she said she travelled and was not around". "They finally
came when the pregnancy was a 41 weeks. " After a scan
no baby water was seen at that point I told them
categorically that a C-Section must be done
immediately."
"We did the procedure and the baby arrived Saturday
morning, except for the umbilical cord that was around
the baby's neck, everything was fine, both mother and
baby were fine and we even moved her out of the theater
to the normal room for her to recuperate."
" Hours after the first surgery she started complaining of
tummy ache and severe pain, despite the pain killers
being administered on her, she also complained of
abdominal pain.
"She was pale and we ran a test and found out that her
blood level was 12.7 percent low, at that point we did
the second surgery to find out what was the cause of
pain". Dr Makewu put the blame at the doorsteps of the
Defreitas, saying the operation should have been done
weeks before the 41 week period.
Asked about cause of death, he said autopsy is currently
being carried out. But Mr Defreitas insists that it was an
error on the part of the doctors to cut his wife open for
the second time within a 24 hour period.
Justifying his claim, Defreitas, said he did not give his
consent for the second surgery because he expected the
hospital to do a comprehensive CT-Scan of the Pelvic &
Abdomen to get the right diagnosis, rather the doctors
did a normal blood test which will never tell you if a
patient has a blood clot or something more fatal.
" I insisted in scan but before I arrived at the hospital
they already cut her open and allowing her to lose more
blood leading to her death".
A doctor close to the family said " Possibly she bled a
lot at first surgery, maybe the womb did not contract
well also". " She could also have had a DIC
(Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation) an acquired
bleeding disorder from too much blood loss, which
makes it impossible for the body to stop further blood
loss".
Defreitas, a retired professional with Lufthansa, German
airline opened up in a lengthy discussion with Per
Second News about living with the heartbreaking loss of
his wife, Amaka, an Imo state indigene.
The family are still in shock and traumatised over the
mysterious death of Amaka Defreitas, with the husband
demanding that an independent postmortem be done on
the remains of his wife.
" We travelled all over the world together and looking
forward to spending our lives in Nigeria, its so sad, I
don't know what to do next".
Speaking with Per Second News Dr Tiffany Jones, a US
based obstetrician, said the case of the late Amaka
Defreitas, is both pathetic and curious, wondering the
rationale for making her go under the knife within 24
hours after the C-Section. She said the most common
reason women die during C-sections is bleeding.
Bleeding can be fast and severe and by the time any
medical protocol can be instituted, sometimes it’s just
too late.
" That is why I believe the second surgery was not
necessary".
"Other C-section complications include bladder injury,
infection, bowel injuries and blood clots, which can
sometimes result in pulmonary embolisms. A pulmonary
embolism is a potentially fatal blockage of the main
artery of the lung by a substance that has traveled from
somewhere else in the body."

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Amaka’s husband,
family and son during this difficult time.

Where is the website you copied this from?
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by davidif: 5:52pm On Apr 06, 2017
This is such a pathetic story. Very sad anf infuriating at the same time.
Re: Doctors Butchered My Wife To Death In Lagos- Portuguese Hubby Cries Out by davidif: 5:54pm On Apr 06, 2017
decatalyst:
This explains the pains and trauma our women and sick people go through in the hand of Nigeria health practitioners. shocked

Can we ever get anything right in this country cry

It feels bad seeing your loved one die while you watch and unable to salvage the situation because one dumb head feels he is right.

RIP and he Arlindo finds solace in God and in the little man. Amen

Goodness! We need to shut down some hospitals.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Marry A Man Who Is 25 Years Older Than You? / My Precious And Wondeful Man / What To Do When Your Parents Love Your Other Sibling(s) More Than You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.