Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions (12909 Views)

Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes / Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons / When An Engine "Knocks" - These Are Some Likely Causes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by AutoReportNG2: 11:15pm On Mar 29, 2017
It’s the worst feeling you can have as a driver: the indisputable fact that something is wrong. Steam spews from under the hood while warning bells chime and lights flash from your dashboard. Your engine is too hot, and you’ve got to pull over to the nearest parking lot or onto the road shoulder to let the engine cool down. There’s a knot in your stomach – this could be expensive.

Heat is an engine’s enemy. The damage caused by overheating can be catastrophic and require a complete overhaul or replacement if the problem is not caught in time. There are many conditions that can cause overheating, with some being straightforward repairs and others requiring long hours of work and high parts costs.

What is overheating?

An engine operates efficiently at a certain temperature. That temperature, even though it is too hot to touch by hand, is significantly cooler than it would be without a cooling system. Overheating is when the temperature of the engine climbs to a point where mechanical damage can occur. Usually, a sustained temperature of over 240 degrees Fahrenheit is enough to cause concern. Steam coming from the engine area, a temperature gauge spiking to the red zone, and engine warning lights – often shaped like a thermometer – are signs your vehicle may be overheating.

Does my car have a cooling system?

No matter how big or small it is, every engine has a cooling system. Very early on in vehicle development, car engines were air-cooled. Essentially, exposure to the air passing over it dissipated the heat from the engine. As engines became more sophisticated and powerful, instances of overheating became more frequent, and a liquid-based cooling system was developed in response.

Liquid cooling systems are used almost exclusively in today’s automotive design and development. Your modern vehicle is equipped with a cooling system that circulates coolant (also known as antifreeze) throughout the engine and through a radiator to dissipate the heat.

How does it work?

There are many parts to a cooling system in an engine. There is a water pump, a thermostat, a heater core, a radiator, coolant hoses, and the engine itself. Here’s how it works:

The water pump has an impeller that circulates the coolant. The impeller looks like a fan or windmill and is turned by the serpentine belt, or timing belt or chain.

The coolant flows through the engine’s coolant jacket, which is a labyrinth of channels through the engine block. Heat is absorbed by the coolant and carried out of the engine and into the heater core.

The heater core is a small radiator inside your vehicle to warm up the interior. A valve controls how much hot coolant passes through the heater core to warm the air temperature inside. The coolant then passes through a hose toward the radiator.

The radiator is essentially a long tube that is bent into shorter coils. The air passing through the coils disperses the heat from the coolant inside, reducing the temperature of the coolant. After passing through the radiator, a hose carries the cooled fluid back to the water pump, and the cycle starts over.

Why engine overheats

There are several causes of overheating. Almost all stem from a lack of circulation but can be caused in different ways.

Cooling system leaks - A leak in the cooling system doesn’t directly cause the engine to overheat. The direct cause is air entering the cooling system. When a leak is present, the coolant level drops and the air is sucked in and circulated. Air is obviously lighter than coolant, and once it rises to the top of the cooling system, it causes what is known as an airlock. An airlock is a large bubble that can’t be pushed through the cooling system by the coolant flow. That means that cooling system effectively stops circulating and the coolant remaining inside the engine becomes superheated.

Blockage - A blockage in the cooling system is another indirect cause, as overheating is actually due to a lack of coolant circulation inside the engine. When the cooling system is blocked, and the coolant can’t circulate to the radiator to disperse heat, the engine overheats. A few common of obstructions are:

A thermostat that doesn’t open when it should.
A mineral deposit was blocking the radiator.
A foreign object inside the cooling system.
Failed water pump - A water pump failure is one of the more regular causes for overheating.

The water pump is the most active component in the cooling system and is responsible for maintaining coolant circulation. Over time, the bearing or impeller inside the water pump can wear or break, and the impeller will no longer turn. When this occurs, it’s usually a short time until the engine overheats.

The coolant isn’t concentrated enough - This condition is primarily a concern in cold weather climates where temperatures drop below freezing. The coolant can gel up inside the engine or radiator and cause a blockage. Even in freezing cold, an engine will readily overheat if the antifreeze has gelled and cannot circulate. It can cause internal damage in components that will require attention, like a possible radiator repair.

A lesser known system that assists in cooling the engine is the engine oil itself. It plays a large part in engine cooling and also in preventing excessive temperatures from building up. The engine oil lubricates internal engine parts to prevent friction, which is the main cause of heat inside an engine.

Many manufacturers have incorporated an engine oil cooler into their vehicles which operate as a radiator. The hot oil is circulated to the oil cooler where heat dissipates before it returns to the engine. Up to forty percent of the engine’s cooling is performed by the engine oil.

Common repairs required to correct overheating

Water pump replacement
Radiator repair or replacement
Antifreeze flush
Thermostat replacement
Engine oil top-up or change
Coolant hose replacement

How to prevent overheating

There are several ways to combat overheating in your vehicle.

*Have the cooling system flushed at the manufacturer’s recommended interval or when it is dirty.
*Have a technician repair coolant leaks as soon as they appear.
*Get your engine oil changed regularly.
*Monitor the temperature gauge on your dash. If the needle goes into the red or an “engine hot” warning light comes on, pull over and turn your vehicle off to prevent damage.

Don't take chances with your vehicle if it starts to overheat. If your car overheats even once, something is wrong and needs to be fixed. Contact a certified mobile technician to inspect what's causing it to overheat.

2 Likes

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by AutoReportNG2: 11:17pm On Mar 29, 2017
Do you have some experience with overheating? Pls share

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/overheating-causes-and-some-likely.html
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by izzou(m): 11:19pm On Mar 29, 2017
Mercedes 190 comes to mind whenever I hear overheating

But modern day cars hardly overheat

I have never seen a Rolls royce or Autobiography overheating before cool
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:11am On Mar 30, 2017
Nice article.. ^^^You hardly see an old Autobiography or Royce on the street, that's why

8 Likes

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by SexyNairalander: 7:15am On Mar 30, 2017
booked

the moniker above me, which kind name bdat

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by lonelydora: 7:16am On Mar 30, 2017
I'm here
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Dottore: 7:16am On Mar 30, 2017
I don park here. Make I read am now
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by soberdrunk(m): 7:16am On Mar 30, 2017
I remember one time my car overheated in the middle of nowhere, i couldnt find water so i called my mechanic and the guy wowed me with a "magic trick", "he asked me to put on the ac, increase the temperature to the highest and increase the fan speed to the highest", like magic the temperature dropped in no time and i was able to drive all the way home, i still don't understand the science behind that trick?? angry

2 Likes

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Hoddor(m): 7:16am On Mar 30, 2017
Make I carry my legedece Benz comot this tread cool

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Flexherbal(m): 7:20am On Mar 30, 2017
Nice info
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Aburi001: 7:25am On Mar 30, 2017
Open your Car Radiator cover, top up the water and forget to return the cover back and lock it. Sorry is your name grin

1 Like

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by illegalGangla(m): 7:27am On Mar 30, 2017
Majority of those comments are from those whose motto is " in leg we trust"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by SIRKAY98(m): 7:27am On Mar 30, 2017
Sometimes also

It may be a bad Relay or Cooling Fan
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by ipreach: 7:28am On Mar 30, 2017
I can read this because I dont have a car
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by erico2k2(m): 7:31am On Mar 30, 2017
izzou:
Mercedes 190 comes to mind whenever I hear overheating

But modern day cars hardly overheat

I have never seen a Rolls royce or Autobiography overheating before cool
Any car can overheat if it has any is the stated problem . My Autobiography had an over heating issue cos of leaking coolant . The pressure was low so the sensors could not detect it.the leakage was steam like .
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Whizpeter(m): 7:37am On Mar 30, 2017
*In Kazeem's Voice*

Oga na the thermostat, I go commot the thermostat and the matter go solve! cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Kingkay001(m): 7:38am On Mar 30, 2017
Please what can cause vehicle to be doing overheating when on high speed ? or probably when you put the ac on?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by maxxy: 7:39am On Mar 30, 2017
soberdrunk:
I remember one time my car overheated in the middle of nowhere, i couldnt find water so i called my mechanic and the guy wowed me with a "magic trick", "he asked me to put on the ac, increase the temperature to the highest and increase the fan speed to the highest", like magic the temperature dropped in no time and i was able to drive all the way home, i still don't understand the science behind that trick?? angry

Turning on the car heater draws heat from the engine for the heating up of the seating area. That means the heat being generated by the engine is being utilized

2 Likes

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by kelechi50: 7:41am On Mar 30, 2017
Nice and educative write up I have learnt one thing from this topic because my car is heating up without solution thanks @ op
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 30, 2017
Okay this is not all the causes of overheating...
Electronic fault and bad relay can cause it too.
who says women don't know anything about cars? Lol hahhah
weldone Op.

2 Likes

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by oses4u(m): 7:45am On Mar 30, 2017
exactly what I experience yesterday. the cause was one of the fans cooling the radiator stopped. I had to quickly invite an electrician to fix it. when u r faced with overheating ur brain practically switch off.

1 Like

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by mummyson26(m): 7:46am On Mar 30, 2017
Flat gasket can cause overeating too

1 Like

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Akwasi(m): 7:47am On Mar 30, 2017
I think there is one obvious one the op missed. When the fan ceases, the engine will overheat.

My car nearly caught fire because my fan has ceased.

Don't overlook that fan during your routine checks before moving the car.
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by ayantaiwo(m): 7:49am On Mar 30, 2017
Kingkay001:
Please what can cause vehicle to be doing overheating when on high speed ? or probably when you put the ac on?
If your car overheat when ac is on, check your radiator water level might be low

1 Like

Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 30, 2017
erico2k2:

Any car can overheat if it has any is the stated problem . My Autobiography had an over heating issue cos of leaking coolant. The pressure was low so the sensors could not detect it.the leakage was steam like .
Which day we go be like you na? I dey hail o...
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by Pabloosas(m): 7:55am On Mar 30, 2017
Bad relay too...
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by upuphim(m): 7:55am On Mar 30, 2017
I have experienced over heating twice due to non functioning of my radiator fan. I always listen to the sound of the fan many a time as precaution.
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by honmusa(m): 7:59am On Mar 30, 2017
Overheating is a symptom of a problem and if the root of the issue is resolved ,overheating will go away .The method used by roadside to combat overheating issue (removing thermostat and running fan direct ) eventually rendered the car doomed as the car fuel consumption goes overboard and the engine will start smoking .
80% of overheating issue is due to leak in any part of the cooling system which might not even be discerning to a keen eye ,special diagnostics equipment is required .
call autologic @ 08061166316,we have the expertise and equipment to resolve all your overheating issue with 100% guarantee and we have the recommendation of more than 100 Nairalanders to that can testify to our competence .
https://www.nairaland.com/2854658/toyota-sienna-overheating#42965238
Re: Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions by shadeyinka(m): 8:00am On Mar 30, 2017
soberdrunk:

The science is simple.

Car heaters (which work from the AC control) take their heat from the engine.
High fan speed guarantees faster heat removal of heat into the car (a mini radiator).

It works short time if all other things are equal.

Smart Mechanic. I give my thumbs up!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July / As A Car Mechanic, What Is The Most Strange Faults You Have Found On An Car? / Small Cars: Advantages And Disadvantages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.