Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:43 AM

Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons (10275 Views)

Full Engine Power No Longer Available Bmw X6 / Here Are Some Likely Reasons Why Your Car Shakes / Grinding Noise In A Car - These Are Some Likely Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by AutoReportNG: 3:28pm On Jan 31, 2018
The power your car's engine is producing is important. When you step on the accelerator you need your car to accelerate, mainly to keep you out of trouble when getting onto the freeway or when pulling into heavy traffic. When your car was new it will typically have the best power it will ever have without doing modifications of some kind. Slowly the engine can lose a slight amount of power as the miles start stacking up which is normal. This is due to several factors such as piston ring wear which lowers compression and the contamination the mass air flow sensor which will provide a false reading to the car's computer. Other factors such as low fuel pressure or a partially plugged catalytic converter and a stretched timing chain can also attribute to low engine power as well.

These are likely symptoms of low power in a car

Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if your car is losing power if the problem is subtle. The illusion of low power might be apparent because many cars or passing you while heading on the onramp to the freeway or it seems like you are pressing down on the gas pedal a little more than usual. The truth be told if a slight amount of power is being lost it is difficult to tell. This is where the computer system of the car comes in.

Many times a check engine light will be on letting you know a malfunction of the electronics or an engine mechanical failure has occurred. Once a trouble code has been read troubleshooting the repair can take place restoring the engine power. A drastic reduction of power is much more noticeable and easier to detect. This condition may or may not catch the eye of the computer and may or may not turn the check engine light on.

For example; if the fuel pump is starting to fail and is not providing a sufficient amount of fuel pressure and volume the engine will have low power, but the computer will not know why. This is because all external support systems such as the exhaust and fuel delivery system are assumed systems which the computer cannot take into account for. Specialized computer scanners can display waveforms for the injector pulse and mass air flow reading but this information is only good when a normal baseline for such readings are available.

Low Fuel Mileage

When an engine is overcompensating for a mechanical, system or sensor failure it could use more fuel than usual. For example, if the weak fuel pump cannot deliver the correct pressure then the spray pattern of the injectors is compromised which in turn lowers the atomization of the fuel causing higher emissions and slower burn rates which lower piston thrust. Engine with high mileage can suffer from lower compression which will be compensated by a heavier application of the throttle which burns more fuel.

Credit
2CarPro

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/01/low-engine-power-in-your-car-these-are.html

@Lalasticlala
@Marpol
@Seun

4 Likes

Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by AutoReportNG: 3:29pm On Jan 31, 2018
Whats your take?
@Guzazz
@Nurey

And my ogas
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by captainking(m): 6:01pm On Jan 31, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take?
@Guzazz
@Nurey

And my ogas
You mean... Gazzuzz.. I haven't seen nurey post in a while..
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by maxwell767(m): 7:28am On Feb 01, 2018
Happy new month to you all..
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by salbis(m): 7:39am On Feb 01, 2018
nice one.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by Kalman(m): 7:40am On Feb 01, 2018
Even a faulty traction control system would result in continuous low engine power output. I’d say the causes can be endless. Diagnosis related to this issues require apt thinking by a professional .. else one would end up at a cross road
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by charles2468(m): 7:41am On Feb 01, 2018
OK following
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by Nobody: 7:45am On Feb 01, 2018
cool I thought I heard her moan...but no it was the cat.... Hmm why do women behave like this.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by Malawian(m): 7:48am On Feb 01, 2018
my transmission is leaking oil. am tired o.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by lailo: 7:48am On Feb 01, 2018
how many thing man go know sef............ abeg let mechanic too shop and leave waste for LAWMA to handle. Stingy people

1 Like

Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by CHARLOE(m): 8:15am On Feb 01, 2018
AutoReportNG:
The power your car's engine is producing is important. When you step on the accelerator you need your car to accelerate, mainly to keep you out of trouble when getting onto the freeway or when pulling into heavy traffic. When your car was new it will typically have the best power it will ever have without doing modifications of some kind. Slowly the engine can lose a slight amount of power as the miles start stacking up which is normal. This is due to several factors such as piston ring wear which lowers compression and the contamination the mass air flow sensor which will provide a false reading to the car's computer. Other factors such as low fuel pressure or a partially plugged catalytic converter and a stretched timing chain can also attribute to low engine power as well.

These are likely symptoms of low power in a car

Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if your car is losing power if the problem is subtle. The illusion of low power might be apparent because many cars or passing you while heading on the onramp to the freeway or it seems like you are pressing down on the gas pedal a little more than usual. The truth be told if a slight amount of power is being lost it is difficult to tell. This is where the computer system of the car comes in.

Many times a check engine light will be on letting you know a malfunction of the electronics or an engine mechanical failure has occurred. Once a trouble code has been read troubleshooting the repair can take place restoring the engine power. A drastic reduction of power is much more noticeable and easier to detect. This condition may or may not catch the eye of the computer and may or may not turn the check engine light on.

For example; if the fuel pump is starting to fail and is not providing a sufficient amount of fuel pressure and volume the engine will have low power, but the computer will not know why. This is because all external support systems such as the exhaust and fuel delivery system are assumed systems which the computer cannot take into account for. Specialized computer scanners can display waveforms for the injector pulse and mass air flow reading but this information is only good when a normal baseline for such readings are available.

Low Fuel Mileage

When an engine is overcompensating for a mechanical, system or sensor failure it could use more fuel than usual. For example, if the weak fuel pump cannot deliver the correct pressure then the spray pattern of the injectors is compromised which in turn lowers the atomization of the fuel causing higher emissions and slower burn rates which lower piston thrust. Engine with high mileage can suffer from lower compression which will be compensated by a heavier application of the throttle which burns more fuel.

Credit
2CarPro

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/01/low-engine-power-in-your-car-these-are.html

@Lalasticlala
@Marpol
@Seun
thanx 4 this, I use a BMW e39 n am experiencing this same prob right now. it does not accelerate, takes time to pick up speed n trips off when stuck in traffic.
my mech has been doing guess working, costing me lots of cash. Changed fuel pump, airflow meter, engine sensor, yet same prob. changed engine oil yet check oil indicator n abs is on
. Any1 wit similar prob or a solution?
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by waveman2: 8:15am On Feb 01, 2018
What do you mean by the traction control system. I, m same problem with my car too. I just changed the engine but the car loses power when going up a ramp.but I am suspecting the gear system. What do I need to do. I just changed all the sensorsbon the gear although it improved a little but loses power on ramp.

Kalman:
Even a faulty traction control system would result in continuous low engine power output. I’d say the causes can be endless. Diagnosis related to this issues require apt thinking by a professional .. else one would end up at a cross road
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by Dottore: 9:00am On Feb 01, 2018
Ok
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by ghiloman28(m): 9:10am On Feb 01, 2018
OK
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by dorange(m): 9:55am On Feb 01, 2018
CHARLOE:

thanx 4 this, I use a BMW e39 n am experiencing this same prob right now. it does not accelerate, takes time to pick up speed n trips off when stuck in traffic.
my mech has been doing guess working, costing me lots of cash. Changed fuel pump, airflow meter, engine sensor, yet same prob. changed engine oil yet check oil indicator n abs is on

The acceleration issue is likely to be an engine misfire problem, Check the spark plugs for black soot, change them if they have, advisable to change all the spark plugs at the same time and also check the injector nozzles if they are spraying fuel properly. Have you run a scan on the car yet? What are the fault codes?
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by nickxtra(m): 10:07am On Feb 01, 2018
dorange:

The acceleration issue is likely to be an engine misfire problem, Check the spark plugs for black soot, change them if they have, advisable to change all the spark plugs at the same time and also check the injector nozzles if they are spraying fuel properly. Have you run a scan on the car yet? What are the fault codes?
Same thing am facing right now. My Nissan Primera does not fire up well when ascending a hilly surface and slow to pick when it breaks in trafficks or busy roads, but moves well on a flat road. What could be the problem?
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by dorange(m): 10:27am On Feb 01, 2018
nickxtra:
Same thing am facing right now. My Nissan Primera does not fire up well when ascending a hilly surface and slow to pick when it breaks in trafficks or busy roads, but moves well on a flat road. What could be the problem?

Check the following i mentioned in my previous post, they are the likely cause..as far your transmission is not bad.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by guysmat(m): 10:53am On Feb 01, 2018
I had the same problem for months and spent a lot without results. Fortunately, a mechanic I stumbled upon simply checked my exhaust and found out that the thing was almost completely blocked from debris and something (can't remember the name) that had melted over time within the exhaust pipe. Once that was fixed, the power from the engine showed it's true colors grin wink

Check your exhaust!

4 Likes

Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by nickxtra(m): 11:46am On Feb 01, 2018
dorange:

Check the following i mentioned in my previous post, they are the likely cause..as far your transmission is not bad.
Sorry, where your previous post?
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by dorange(m): 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2018
nickxtra:
Sorry, where your previous post?
This
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by ojtopsy: 12:20pm On Feb 01, 2018
guysmat:
I had the same problem for months and spent a lot without results. Fortunately, a mechanic I stumbled upon simply checked my exhaust and found out that the thing was almost completely blocked from debris and something (can't remember the name) that had melted over time within the exhaust pipe. Once that was fixed, the power from the engine showed it's true colors grin wink

Check your exhaust!
My mechanic worked on my 2001 camry exhaust experiencing the same issue but im still yet to overcome the problem of excessive fuel consumption and sometimes loss of power and my trachmeter goes above 1. though the scan i did sometimes ago show misfiring problem and i changed the plugs and the cable.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by nickxtra(m): 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2018
dorange:

This
I have not ran a scan. I think I will do that this weekend and i will post the codes here. thanks so much
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by dorange(m): 4:01pm On Feb 01, 2018
nickxtra:
I have not ran a scan. I think I will do that this weekend and i will post the codes here. thanks so much

Okay bro.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by vanndubi: 4:25pm On Feb 01, 2018
CHARLOE:

My wife's Matrix had a similar problem and the mechanics did their best with no improvement. I decided to work on the car myself.

Long story short, the culprit was a faulty injector that spreads fuel that moment the ignition/ fuel pump is on (before starting the engine proper). So, there was misfiring cos of the flooded combustion chamber. The flooded chamber needs to clears before the car picks up and when the car stops the chamber is flooded again causing the engine to trip off.

Try getting a competent car electrician to check and identify possible faulty fuel injector(s).

2 Likes

Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by frrank(m): 4:38pm On Feb 01, 2018
ojtopsy:

My mechanic worked on my 2001 camry exhaust experiencing the same issue but im still yet to overcome the problem of excessive fuel consumption and sometimes loss of power and my trachmeter goes above 1. though the scan i did sometimes ago show misfiring problem and i changed the plugs and the cable.

Have another mechanic inspect your exhaust.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by olaboy1: 6:22pm On Feb 01, 2018
frrank:

Have another mechanic inspect your exhaust.

You can do an exhaust back pressure test without bringing down the exhaust, usual culprits of a clogged exhaust are muffler and catalytic converter. Check YouTube how to do the exhaust test
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by CHARLOE(m): 6:56am On Feb 02, 2018
vanndubi:

My wife's Matrix had a similar problem and the mechanics did their best with no improvement. I decided to work on the car myself.

Long story short, the culprit was a faulty injector that spreads fuel that moment the ignition/ fuel pump is on (before starting the engine proper). So, there was misfiring cos of the flooded combustion chamber. The flooded chamber needs to clears before the car picks up and when the car stops the chamber is flooded again causing the engine to trip off.

Try getting a competent car electrician to check and identify possible faulty fuel injector(s).
tanx, but do u think IRS an electrical or mech fault?
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by CHARLOE(m): 7:01am On Feb 02, 2018
dorange:

intend running a scan on sat, will post d result here, tanx.
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by vanndubi: 3:41pm On Feb 02, 2018
CHARLOE:

tanx, but do u think IRS an electrical or mech fault?

It's mainly electrical problem but it has resulted in clogging of the exhaust system.

However, when the electrical problem is solved and engine regains compression, the exhaust will clear with time.

NB: if it's smoking and they said it's wore rings, DO NOT WORKING ON THE PISTON AND RING!
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by 3kay945(m): 5:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
vanndubi:

Did you clean the Injector or change it?
Re: Low Engine Power In Your Car? These Are Some Likely Reasons by vanndubi: 6:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
3kay945:

Did you clean the Injector or change it?

In the process of cleaning them, I found out one of them was spreading even without powering it. So, I changed that one and cleaned others.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mitsusbishi GDI Refused To Supply Feul To The Injectors / The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban / A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.