Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup (29409 Views)

How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup) / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 30, 2017
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU? angry angry

I AM JUST GETTING OUT OF A 5 HOUR E.O.M MANAGEMENT MEETING AND I AM REALLY HUNGRY MISSED LUNCH AND LEFT MY ATM AT HOME AND NOW YOU ALL POST THIS? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME WITH HUNGER?

angry angry angry

RUBBISH, WICKED PEOPLE

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by kevoh(m): 5:07pm On Mar 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of Oha soup! undecided undecided
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by chuks34(m): 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2017
Uchihaitaci:
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU? angry angry

I AM JUST GETTING OUT OF A 5 HOUR E.O.M MANAGEMENT MEETING AND I AM REALLY HUNGRY MISSED LUNCH AND LEFT MY ATM AT HOME AND NOW YOU ALL POST THIS? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME WITH HUNGER?

angry angry angry

RUBBISH, WICKED PEOPLE
No wonder ure typing with Capital letters

3 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2017
Abiagirl777:

it depends on your dialect,Abia uha;IMO ,oha;Anambra and Enugu,ora.they are all the same nwanne

Enugu is Oha
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by MrRichy(m): 5:11pm On Mar 30, 2017
if you com add periwinkle or snail inside, chai...

cloud 9

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Amarabae(f): 5:13pm On Mar 30, 2017
Yuneehk:

Amy Bekee! I totally agree with you. I don't like the use of Ede and/or Ogiri in preparing mine but rather prefer Achi.
Invite me to your place so I'll come taste yours na
hahaha. Ok dear. One thing with Achi is that many of them in the market are adulterated and it can make the soup watery. Thats why many avoid achi for oha. #bless

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by schumastic(m): 5:14pm On Mar 30, 2017
Amarabae:
I love to prepare Oha soup.
Also its good to add some cow intestine to it, it gives it a unique taste.
I sometimes use fresh fish with Uziza leaf and hot pepper to cook it.

pls tell me the bride price n when i can come with my people
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Abiagirl777(f): 5:17pm On Mar 30, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Enugu is Oha

dunno but my Enugu friend calls it ora,all in all,I'm trying to stress the diff in dialects.

4 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 30, 2017
nicerichard05:
kThe Distinguished Senator Dino Melaye has generated a lot of comments on social media these past days. These comments cuts across Nigerians of different divide and there is no denying the fact that even if the entire academic records of Senator Dino Melaye are published today in all the National dailies; some opinion about him will still not change. So while we were busy investigating, looking and checking out if Senator Dino Melaye actually graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; we did not ask the right questions and so did not get the right answers. Some Nigerians even made jokes out of the entire situation. We shared, posted, commented and even made videos. You can’t blame us on that. It’s a juicy story and someone has got to talk about it. The Senator also used the opportunity to launch his music career. But those jokes will later be on all of us.

This “you did not graduate from ABU” matter reminds me of an old grandfather’s tale of the Rabbit burrow. A good Rabbit hunter knows that if you are trying to smoke a Rabbit out of its burrow, you had better be sure that you have all the entrances and exits covered. Otherwise, if you attempt to dig only from one entrance or exit; you just might find yourself in the Rabbit Hole just like ‘Alice in Wonderland’. Except their approach was based on the Theory of Obliquity, I am of the opinion that Sahara Reporters was too hasty in releasing the report that Senator Dino Melaye did not graduate from ABU, Zaria as at the time he was said to have graduated. If Sahara’s evidence on their claim was only based on the Senator’s academic records in their possession; then more rigour should have gone into the investigation before it went out. Sensationalism and hype can sell but truth be told; it pays more to be factually detailed too.

I don’t know Senator Dino Melaye other than what I have gleaned from both the Print and Electronic media and from the internet. I believe Senator Dino Melaye does not know me and he has never heard my name. What right then do I have to comment on this issue? My rights to comment on the Senator’s current issue are derived from the fact that I am a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Distinguished Senator is a serving Senator of the Federal Republic; added that I also graduated the same time that he graduated though from a different University and I did my National Youth Service the same period he served too - 9th July, 2000 to 8th July, 2001. If the Certificate of one of Nigeria’s Senators is in doubt and it becomes a topic of discourse, it becomes a concern for a Nigerian Citizen. Meanwhile, I do not hold brief for the Senator; he is smart enough to fight his battles.

When the authenticity of Senator Dino Melaye’s Bachelor’s degree suddenly became interesting in March 2017 it should have generated one question. Does it mean that Degrees and other academic claims are not verified by our Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before granting approvals for candidates to contest elections? A simple letter from INEC to ABU, Zaria or any other School that the Senator stated in his form would have answered the question – Did Mr. Dino Melaye graduate from ------------? We would have been saved the tension that characterized the blogosphere and the drama of having a Vice- Chancellor of a University come to the hallowed chambers to defend a Bachelor’s degree. It could have saved Sahara Reporters some energy to chase other things. It could have also saved the Senator the stress of having to wear an academic gown to plenary. Considering that academic gowns have a rope like hood. It was a risky venture and unsafe if debates had gone the other way that very day.

How did we allow ineffectiveness and inefficiency to creep into our national psyche and reside there permanently? Why are we so untidy in little things that should matter?
This is why files get missing in the Ministries and Agencies of Government such that after filling out a form with all attachments, you are called that some documents you attached are missing. This is why it takes so long to process a Nigeria Drivers Licence. This is why Telecommunication companies take your biometrics yet the Nigerian Police cannot use it for investigations. This is why we don’t have a National ID Card. This is why fraudulent people advertise sales of seized vehicles by Customs in our national dailies online with matching mobile numbers and yet no one person has been arrested for fraud. This is why it can take you so long to process a Nigerian Passport if you decide to pay the normal fees. This is why State Governors are collecting bail outs and they are not paying Workers’ salaries and no one is asking them why? This is why we needed phone calls to prove that our own elected President was alive even when his VP had told us so. This is why Boko Haram is still throwing bombs. This is why peace has not returned to the Nigerdelta. This is why two agencies of government can openly oppose each other and we go clapping at their rivalry. This is why there will be no health for all by the year 2020 neither will there be housing. This is why ASUU will always still go on strike and government will still not honour the agreement. This is why we will still be divided along religious and ethnic lines. This is why everything is so bad and armed robbery and kidnapping have become songs on repeat. This is why road construction waits till the rainy season to commence. This is why Nigerians have suddenly discovered the Third Mainland Bridge as the easy way out. All these and more because one of us is not doing his or her job effectively and efficiently. It could be you; it could be me.

Has anyone looked at the functions of the Senate as stated in a typical Nigerian University Act? Though, I am not a Lawyer but I am just curious if my common sense of law is not showing that whether you are admitted with three credit passes instead of five, and you are graduated even after failing all core courses. The Senate of a Nigerian University really has both the knife and the yam. Take a look at Section 7 Functions of the Senate; subsection 2(b) “the organization and control of courses of study at the University and of the examinations held in conjunction with those courses, including the appointment of examiners, both internal and external;” subsection 2(c) “the award of degrees, and such other qualifications as may be prescribed, in connection with examinations held as aforesaid;” Now move to subsection 4 “Subject to this Act and the statutes, the Senate may make regulations for the purpose of exercising any function conferred on it either by the foregoing provisions of this section or otherwise or for the purpose of making provision for any matter for which provision by regulations is authorized or required by this Act or by statute”

Whichever way your opinion on this matter will tilt, I think that life has become so hard in Nigeria that we stopped asking the right questions; stopped evaluating; and left critical thinking to the internet and online discussions to dictate the pace of Nigeria’s development. This is bad and it will only leave us in the Rabbit Hole.

Don't u think you deserve a ban here too. How does this thrash relate to the OP's topic?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Youngzedd(m): 5:23pm On Mar 30, 2017
MARKone:
One of my favorite soups. Op addition of utazi leaf, brings out a befitting taste. #igbowerenri cool

You meant uziza leaf

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by awesome4: 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2017
Oha yummy

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Olufemiolaolu(m): 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2017
My best food in my unilag days. So delicious.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by madridsta007(m): 5:41pm On Mar 30, 2017
Amarabae:

**coughs**

Erm, single, married or? And yes, this is an emergency.
I think I need to be taught for life how to make Oha soup.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by dominique(f): 5:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
Bookmarked, I'll try it out soon
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by zicoraads: 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
dominique:
I mentioned you on the BBN thread. Please I would like justice to be done on the matter.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by 3RNEST(m): 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2017
dominique:
Pls invite me when it's done grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by PenisCaP: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2017
zeezeegal:
Cnt Wait To Cook Dis Soup For Ma Igbo Husband-To-Be.... But U Must Also Learn To Eat Beans Soup, Bene Seed Soup, Akuku And Ebatu Soup.

beans soup really?... hmm would like to taste dat tho.. and that akuku and ebatu sound ghanian.

Where are ar u from dear?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by zeezeegal(m): 6:01pm On Mar 30, 2017
PenisCaP:

beans soup really?... hmm would like to taste dat tho.. and that akuku and ebatu sound ghanian.

Where are ar u from dear?
9ja Sure Pass O
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by PenisCaP: 6:02pm On Mar 30, 2017
zeezeegal:
9ja Sure Pass O

Lol... ok dear from which tribe pls?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by zeezeegal(m): 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2017
PenisCaP:

Lol... ok dear from which tribe pls?
Ebira
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by macaranta(m): 6:04pm On Mar 30, 2017
ThisTrend:

Oha soup is a standard dish for the South East elements of Nigeria. It`s like the bitter leaf soup, nevertheless the crucial facet of Oha soup menu is the Ora lives. Ora leaves make the soup very special because they're seasonal, unlike the bitter leaf which you can find all the complete year around.

Hot to get Oha Soup ready
It`s almost astounding that one particular component can make very much difference in the soup. Nevertheless, it`s true; the Ora leaves can totally change the tastes of the soup.

Oha Soup Ingredients:
*. One teaspoon of Ogiri Igbo
*. Two Stock Cubes
*. Crayfish, salt and Chilli pepper to taste
*. Stock Fish or Dry Fish
*. Assorted beef
*. Three cooking spoons of Red Palm Oil
*. Eight Small corms cocoyam
*. Ora Leaves

Preparation of Oha Leaves:
*. Oha is a unique vegetable that can`t be substituted in the Oha soup recipe.
*. If you don`t have cocoyam corms, then you can substitute it with cocoyam flour or potato flour.
*. Ogiri Igbo is optional in this recipe. Still, it adds the traditional taste to Oha Soup!

Set up your cooking:
*. Grind Chili pepper and crayfish in the separate bowl.
*. Wash and Boil the Cocoyam until it`s soft. The Corms should be pound into the paste.
*. Cut Ora leaves into tiny pieces with your fingers!

Oha soup cooking directions:
*. Boil the cow tripe (shaki).
*. Stockfish and dry it in the one litre of water.
*. Wash the Beef and add it to the pot with the cow tripe. When the meat is done, you can add two stock cubes and continue cooking for five minutes.
*. Add the Cray Fish, Ogiri Igbo and Chili pepper and cook for ten minutes.
*. Add the cocoyam paste and palm oil.
*. Cover the pot and cook the soup until the cocoyam paste vanishes. You can add more water if the soup is too thick.
*. Add Ora leaves and cook for five minutes.
*. Add salt to taste.
*. The Oha soup is ready!
*. You can serve it with Pounded Yam, Amala, Semolina Fufu, Gari or Cassava Fufu.

Source: http://www.thistrend.com.ng/2017/03/recipe-how-to-prepare-nigerian-oha-soup.html
lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun, Fynestboi, dominique, MissyB3, Sissy3
Permission to share this on a platform.. Thanks
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Jamescosmas(m): 6:05pm On Mar 30, 2017
MARKone:
One of my favorite soups. Op addition of utazi leaf, brings out a befitting taste. #igbowerenri cool
pls Is not utazi leaf u will add but uziza leaf... point of correction...
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by PenisCaP: 6:05pm On Mar 30, 2017
zeezeegal:
Ebira

Wow...nowonda rock! wink
So ur heartrob is igbo? smiley
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by OkwaIfugo(m): 6:05pm On Mar 30, 2017
One of my best Soup.
Nice One Op.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by LilTyRoNe: 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2017
[quote author=nicerichard05 post=55104184]kThe Distinguished Senator Dino Melaye has generated a lot of comments on social media these past days.These comments cuts across Nigerians of different divide and there is no denying the fact that even if the entire academic records of Senator Dino Melaye are published today in all the National dailies some opinion about him will still not change.So while we were busy investigating,looking and checking out if Senator Dino Melaye actually graduated from Ahmadu Bello University,Zaria we did not ask the right questions and so did not get the right answers.Some Nigerians even made jokes out of the entire situation.We shared, posted,commented and even made videos.You cant blame us on that.It’s a juicy story and someone has got to talk about it.The Senator also used the opportunity to launch his music career.But those jokes will later be on all of us.
This you did not graduate from ABU matter reminds me of an old grandfather’s tale of the Rabbit burrow
Guy see full thread
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by zeezeegal(m): 6:08pm On Mar 30, 2017
PenisCaP:

Wow...nowonda rock! wink
So ur heartrob is igbo? smiley
Lolz... Yeah But Dis Ur Moniker Get As E Be O

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by grandstar(m): 6:14pm On Mar 30, 2017
This is probably my favourite Igbo delicacy. Any woman who can make this well will win my heart
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by tripoli007(m): 6:20pm On Mar 30, 2017
nicerichard05:
kThe Distinguished Senator Dino Melaye has generated a lot of comments on social media these past days. These comments cuts across Nigerians of different divide and there is no denying the fact that even if the entire academic records of Senator Dino Melaye are published today in all the National dailies; some opinion about him will still not change. So while we were busy investigating, looking and checking out if Senator Dino Melaye actually graduated from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; we did not ask the right questions and so did not get the right answers. Some Nigerians even made jokes out of the entire situation. We shared, posted, commented and even made videos. You can’t blame us on that. It’s a juicy story and someone has got to talk about it. The Senator also used the opportunity to launch his music career. But those jokes will later be on all of us.

This “you did not graduate from ABU” matter reminds me of an old grandfather’s tale of the Rabbit burrow. A good Rabbit hunter knows that if you are trying to smoke a Rabbit out of its burrow, you had better be sure that you have all the entrances and exits covered. Otherwise, if you attempt to dig only from one entrance or exit; you just might find yourself in the Rabbit Hole just like ‘Alice in Wonderland’. Except their approach was based on the Theory of Obliquity, I am of the opinion that Sahara Reporters was too hasty in releasing the report that Senator Dino Melaye did not graduate from ABU, Zaria as at the time he was said to have graduated. If Sahara’s evidence on their claim was only based on the Senator’s academic records in their possession; then more rigour should have gone into the investigation before it went out. Sensationalism and hype can sell but truth be told; it pays more to be factually detailed too.

I don’t know Senator Dino Melaye other than what I have gleaned from both the Print and Electronic media and from the internet. I believe Senator Dino Melaye does not know me and he has never heard my name. What right then do I have to comment on this issue? My rights to comment on the Senator’s current issue are derived from the fact that I am a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Distinguished Senator is a serving Senator of the Federal Republic; added that I also graduated the same time that he graduated though from a different University and I did my National Youth Service the same period he served too - 9th July, 2000 to 8th July, 2001. If the Certificate of one of Nigeria’s Senators is in doubt and it becomes a topic of discourse, it becomes a concern for a Nigerian Citizen. Meanwhile, I do not hold brief for the Senator; he is smart enough to fight his battles.

When the authenticity of Senator Dino Melaye’s Bachelor’s degree suddenly became interesting in March 2017 it should have generated one question. Does it mean that Degrees and other academic claims are not verified by our Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before granting approvals for candidates to contest elections? A simple letter from INEC to ABU, Zaria or any other School that the Senator stated in his form would have answered the question – Did Mr. Dino Melaye graduate from ------------? We would have been saved the tension that characterized the blogosphere and the drama of having a Vice- Chancellor of a University come to the hallowed chambers to defend a Bachelor’s degree. It could have saved Sahara Reporters some energy to chase other things. It could have also saved the Senator the stress of having to wear an academic gown to plenary. Considering that academic gowns have a rope like hood. It was a risky venture and unsafe if debates had gone the other way that very day.

How did we allow ineffectiveness and inefficiency to creep into our national psyche and reside there permanently? Why are we so untidy in little things that should matter?
This is why files get missing in the Ministries and Agencies of Government such that after filling out a form with all attachments, you are called that some documents you attached are missing. This is why it takes so long to process a Nigeria Drivers Licence. This is why Telecommunication companies take your biometrics yet the Nigerian Police cannot use it for investigations. This is why we don’t have a National ID Card. This is why fraudulent people advertise sales of seized vehicles by Customs in our national dailies online with matching mobile numbers and yet no one person has been arrested for fraud. This is why it can take you so long to process a Nigerian Passport if you decide to pay the normal fees. This is why State Governors are collecting bail outs and they are not paying Workers’ salaries and no one is asking them why? This is why we needed phone calls to prove that our own elected President was alive even when his VP had told us so. This is why Boko Haram is still throwing bombs. This is why peace has not returned to the Nigerdelta. This is why two agencies of government can openly oppose each other and we go clapping at their rivalry. This is why there will be no health for all by the year 2020 neither will there be housing. This is why ASUU will always still go on strike and government will still not honour the agreement. This is why we will still be divided along religious and ethnic lines. This is why everything is so bad and armed robbery and kidnapping have become songs on repeat. This is why road construction waits till the rainy season to commence. This is why Nigerians have suddenly discovered the Third Mainland Bridge as the easy way out. All these and more because one of us is not doing his or her job effectively and efficiently. It could be you; it could be me.

Has anyone looked at the functions of the Senate as stated in a typical Nigerian University Act? Though, I am not a Lawyer but I am just curious if my common sense of law is not showing that whether you are admitted with three credit passes instead of five, and you are graduated even after failing all core courses. The Senate of a Nigerian University really has both the knife and the yam. Take a look at Section 7 Functions of the Senate; subsection 2(b) “the organization and control of courses of study at the University and of the examinations held in conjunction with those courses, including the appointment of examiners, both internal and external;” subsection 2(c) “the award of degrees, and such other qualifications as may be prescribed, in connection with examinations held as aforesaid;” Now move to subsection 4 “Subject to this Act and the statutes, the Senate may make regulations for the purpose of exercising any function conferred on it either by the foregoing provisions of this section or otherwise or for the purpose of making provision for any matter for which provision by regulations is authorized or required by this Act or by statute”

Whichever way your opinion on this matter will tilt, I think that life has become so hard in Nigeria that we stopped asking the right questions; stopped evaluating; and left critical thinking to the internet and online discussions to dictate the pace of Nigeria’s development. This is bad and it will only leave us in the Rabbit Hole.

you must be either a clown ,kolo man or u have your brain in your anus ,what is the correlation between your comment and the subject matter .. May the powerful gods or Oha soup smite u with blindness and dysentery ..
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by Icon79(m): 6:22pm On Mar 30, 2017
Oha soup is definitely my all time naija soup. I ordered a special one when I travelled home 3 weeks ago and my cousin really did a fantastic job in preparing the soup - the best soup I have eaten in the past 20 years.

O pari
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by AuroraB(f): 6:22pm On Mar 30, 2017
Amarabae:
shocked 'Fresh fish' in 'Uha' sou sad lipsrsealed
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Oha Soup by MARKone(m): 6:33pm On Mar 30, 2017
Jamescosmas:
pls Is not utazi leaf u will add but uziza leaf... point of correction...

yeah, my mistake...uziza leaf

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC / 6 Terrible Cooking Practices You Need To Stop / We're Celebrating!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.