Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures (8703 Views)

TINUBU - The Destruction Of Yorubaland And Politics / Bola Tinubu Is The New Awolowo Of Yorubaland And The Leader Of Yoruba Race!!! / 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by becomrich16: 6:48am On Dec 26, 2009
gene

50 % first generation fulani
25 % second generation fulani
12.5 % third generation fulani
6.25 % fourth generation fulani
3.125 % fifth generation fulani
1.562 % six generation fulani
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by Uche2nna(m): 6:49am On Dec 26, 2009
becomrich;:

gene

50 % first generation fulani
25 % second generation fulani
12.5 % third generation fulani
6.25 % fourth generation fulani
3.125 % fifth generation fulani
1.562 % six generation fulani

This guy is hilarious grin grin grin grin

Do U even sleep?
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 6:50am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

Many of the stats in Nigeria are skewed and should not be used a sole reference for fact finding.
A more reliable index for economic trend Nigeria is net migration. People tend to follow opportunities.  South-West is still the preferred destination in Nigeria.

The South-West of Nigeria is still by a long margin the commercial hub of Nigeria with Lagos, Oyo, Ogun states leading the pack amongst the South-Western states.

Of the top-ten GDP states, three are from the south-west; none of which is oil or its derivative producing state; their economy is based solely on commercial activity.

Excluding the city of Lagos, the city of Ibadan has the second largest economy of any city in Nigeria even surpassing that of Kano that was once at par with it. While Ibadan may have seen its share of decay in the last decades, it still remains an economic power house in Nigeria.

Are you crazy?. Onitsha is the 2nd economic powerhouse of Nigeria followed by Kano and PH.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 6:54am On Dec 26, 2009
mekusxxx:

Buahah. Please provide stats to back your claims of Ibadan being the next best after Lagos and Abuja. Port Harcourt is way more developed than Ibadan, so is Enugu and Calabar. Stop listing fed agencies which are more or less dead facilities. Go to CRIN and see the decay there. The volume of money passing daily in Anambra and Abia markets surpass the entire budget of Oyo.

Why don't post you your stats? Name the industries, institutes in those cities.
Mere boasting with words mean nothing.  I have been to those  cities, and none of them
is anything close to Ibadan. Calabar is neat but it is no economic nerve.  Enugu is just plain dead.
Like I asked, name any major corporations in these two cities.
PH, I'll admit has some activity but in no way the size of Ibadan or its commercial activity.

All the corporations I listed are functional -Nigerian way.

You may not admit it, South West is still the preferred destination in Nigeria.
Go to Sango-Ota, in Ogun State - it's becoming the next Lagos with people from all parts of Nigeria arriving daily.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 26, 2009
@becomerich

Yorubas and most other parts of Nigeria do not have "oid" such as Yoruboid, Fulanoid, etc.

politically and culturally, its either you're Yoruba, Fulani, or some other such group, regardless how many tribes you lay claim to. Makes things simpler maybe.

so yes, some Yorubas are "Fulanoid" perhaps, but a lot of water has passed under the bridge and isnt overly subject to scrutiny.

seriously, the first time I saw Sanusi's photo I really thought the man was Yoruba.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 6:58am On Dec 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Are you crazy?. Onitsha is the 2nd economic powerhouse of Nigeria followed by Kano and PH.
It's a shame when we resort to insult to express a point.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 26, 2009
@van gogh

very true. An extremely high number of other Nigerians have resided in Ogun state at one time or the other, at some point in their lives.

Lagos gets all the publicity for some reason, when in actual fact the number of "outsiders" in Ogun may very well surpass Lagos own.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:03am On Dec 26, 2009
Vangogh

How many people do these industries and fed agencies employ and what is the pay structure in Ibadan? We are talking of poverty levels among the average people and even the UNDP stat and the ones I posted earlier corroborate that the South East is less afflicted by poverty than others regions.
A trader in Onitsha and Aba makes in one day what those fed workers in Ibadan make in 1 year
Go thorugh the file below. It will take sometime to digest because it is large.

http://web.ng.undp.org/reports/nigeria_hdr_report.pdf
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:05am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

It's a shame when we resort to insult to express a point.

I am not insulting buster. Your claim was as laughable as saying the crop of American economy lies on Arizona. If you have an idea of the economy of Onitsha and aba, you won't make such comment but i will forgive you because you know not.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:10am On Dec 26, 2009
VanGogh,

Ibadan is the biggest city in West Africa and for its huge population, it has nothing (ratio of population to employement opportunities). PH, Aba and Onitsha are smaller and when this is taken into consideration, they  are better than Ibadan. I know Ibadan like the palms of my hands having worked there for several years.
Most of those companies you mentioned like Dizzengorf, Zartech, etc have either their h/quaters or other branches elsewhere.

P&G and BAT are more or less the only huge manufacturing cos in Ibadan. The rest are mini-scale, mostly private ventures such as you have in Aba (which is far smaller than Ibadan)

Most of the rest are Indian companies and we know what that means.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 7:14am On Dec 26, 2009
mekusxxx:

Vangogh

How many people do these industries and fed agencies employ and what is the pay structure in Ibadan? We are talking of poverty levels among the average people and even the UNDP stat and the ones I posted earlier corroborate that the South East is less afflicted by poverty than others regions.
A trader in Onitsha and Aba makes in one day what those fed workers in Ibadan make in 1 year
Go thorugh the file below. It will take sometime to digest because it is large.

http://web.ng.undp.org/reports/nigeria_hdr_report.pdf

You still have not answered my question.  
I have not read the document, so I can't refute its content. Like most stats in Nigeria, it's probably riddled with flaws.
However,  I do know that the SW corridor is still and attraction to many from different part of Nigeria, and there is a reason for that.
I can assure you it is not for sight-seeing.  It is a fact that more people move into SW than any other region in Nigeria.

Poverty level in a given area
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:16am On Dec 26, 2009
UNDP is not Nigerian stat
Plus many more saying the same thing. If you have not read them what areyou arguing?
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:19am On Dec 26, 2009
Lagos is the main attraction, no doubt but SW is more than just Lagos. Many Yoruba live and work in PH and other oil producing states, as well as in Anambra and Abia. I admit that Lagos is still the most viable but that has not eally reflected positively in the overall poverty level in the south west.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 26, 2009
its because there are more opportunities in the southwest, regardless what the trolls are saying.

that's the long and short of it.

people simply find it easier to live in the southwest.

the north is also a destination of choice and could have competed favorably with the southwest in this area, but for the frequent uprisings and unrest targetted at southerners.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:21am On Dec 26, 2009
Also go over all the different data in the links I provided here

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-371485.0.html
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 7:21am On Dec 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I am not insulting buster. Your claim was as laughable as saying the crop of American economy lies on Arizona. If you have an idea of the economy of Onitsha and aba, you won't make such comment but i will forgive you because you know not.

There is nothing laughable about my position. You may simply disagree with my assertion by stating you position backed with numbers without name calling.
I assume that your reference to "buster" was all in good faith.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:24am On Dec 26, 2009
tpia.:

@van gogh

its because there are more opportunities in the southwest, regardless what the trolls are saying.

that's the long and short of it.

people simply find it easier to live in the southwest.

the north is also a destination of choice and could have competed favorably with the southwest in this area, but for the frequent uprisings and unrest targetted at southerners.

Keep deluding yourself. Where are these SW opportunities besides lagos? Abeokuta, Akure, Ibadan, Ota etc?. Have you been to kano and Onitsha before?. Gosh, i can believe I am partaking in this nonsense. Why the high level of unemployment and poverty in the south west if these opportunities abound there?
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:25am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

There is nothing laughable about my position. You may simply disagree with my assertion by stating you position backed with numbers without name calling.
I assume that your reference to "buster" was all in good faith.

It was but I suspect you know nothing about Nigeria besides part of the southwest. Check the economic index of Nigeria states and you will realize how much that is being realized. If you don't trust the UN stats, try locating commercial banks in these cities and how many branches they operate per city. That will give you an idea of the economy of that particlar city.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 26, 2009
yellow journalists are just that- yellow.

I dont base my own assessments on questionable NL reports posted by trolls and shady agents with agendas.

People go wherever they can make money. Go to any town or village in the southwest and see if its possible to find one withuot a high number of non-indigenes.

If that doesnt tell you whats up then nothing will.

The so-called high poverty rate in the southwest includes non-Yorubas, for the ones who stupidly refuse to know. Just like Nigerians abroad who keep to themselves when they're not doing well, non-Yorubas in the southwest will also do the same while they're struggling grin
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:30am On Dec 26, 2009
TPIA,

The stas come from empirical studies from several people including Yoruba academicians, and not mere journalism. Lagos is big economy but that is just about it in the SW. And remember that Lagos economy is not just Yoruba economy since others, especially Igbos control a huge chunk of it. The same cannot be said of Aba and Onitsha and Nnewi economies which are almost 100% Igbo economy
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:30am On Dec 26, 2009
tpia.:

yellow journalists are just that- yellow.

I dont base my own assessments on questionable NL reports posted by trolls and shady agents with agendas.

What do you base your assessments on? Tribalism?. Since you rejected UN stat, Nigerian stat, nairaland stat so, I am challenging you to provide proof of your assertion besides how you feel or what you think. Why is the poverty rate highest in the south west among Nigerian southern regions if they have more viable economy and more employment opportunities?. Why is the southwest the region with the highest alaye in Nigeria?.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 7:31am On Dec 26, 2009
I will go over them at some point. However, it still won't change the facts on the ground.
Poverty level is very hard to measure in Nigeria where reliable data is hard to collect.

How is poverty level in Nigeria determined? With what data?
A simplistic and yet more realistic approach is net migration.  If we use the net migration approach, we can safely conclude that SW is the place to be; and like Tpia said
the North is the next best after SW if not for the civil unrest in that region.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:33am On Dec 26, 2009
Lagos (and not the entire south west) definitely has more opportunities but those were not created solely by Yorubas.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:35am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

I will go over them at some point. However, it still won't change the facts on the ground.
Poverty level is very hard to measure in Nigeria where reliable data is hard to collect.

A simplistic and yet more realistic approach is net migration. If we use the net migration approach, we can safely conclude that SW is the place to be; and like Tpia said

I know most Yoruba do not like the truth and they show so much aversion when the reality hits home. This was also the argument on education levels until JAMB and polyjamb stats show the truth. Still they prefer to believe in the old school fairy tales. Shame.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by Nobody: 7:36am On Dec 26, 2009
read my modified post.

poverty levels being measured, will include the non-Yorubas resident in the southwest.

and as you pointed out- you have 100% Igbo economy in your area.

Yorubaland allows investment and opportunities regardless of tribe. Now, you want to consider that a weakness- that's your own cup of tea.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:37am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

A simplistic and yet more realistic approach is net migration.  If we use the net migration approach
, we can safely conclude that SW is the place to be; and like Tpia said

Since you do not believe in stat, how did you determine that migration to the sw is highest in Nigeria?. Go to major Nigerian bank websites, click on the cities in question and check how many branches they have there. banks follow money and economy, you can easily estimate the amount of money flowing in such places.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:40am On Dec 26, 2009
TPIA,

But the Igbo in the south west will hardly contribute to poverty in Lagos since they are either
working in banks/industries
Are traders (more than 50% of them)
own their own industries
Many also own their own homes

What % of Igbos in Lagos are beggars compared to Yoruba and Hausa in Lagos? Rampancy of begging alone is a good indication of the poverty level

Nobody has asked Yoruba not to come to Igboland and those who braced up and went there are doing very great, as we have shown here with several posts
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:41am On Dec 26, 2009
tpia.:

read my modified post.

poverty levels being measured, will include the non-Yorubas resident in the southwest.

and as you pointed out- you have 100% Igbo economy in your area.

Yorubaland allows investment and opportunities regardless of tribe. Now, you want to consider that a weakness- that's your own cup of tea.

More pathetic arguement; When did Yoruba, hausa or igbo determine how one invests in any region in Nigeria?. Hausas have more investment in the south east than yorubas; igbos have 100x more investments in the north than yorubas,  shouldn't that also be an indication that yorubas are absorbed in themselves?.

El Rufai said Igbos bought 70% of properties in Abuja. Was it the igbos who prevented the yorubas from buying their own portion?
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 7:43am On Dec 26, 2009
mekusxxx:

Lagos (and not the entire south west) definitely has more opportunities but those were not created solely by Yorubas.

I am not talking Yoruba here. Dangote, a Northerner is more ore less the largest employer in Lagos, and Nigeria wide.
I am talking about a region regardless of its occupants.
I could care less if the residents are from Zamfara. My point is that the SW of Nigeria provides the most opportunity
in Nigeria.
I am certain the stats you referred me to does not take into account state of region. It basically compiles data from a region and simply
extrapolate without factoring ethnic background.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by mekusxxx: 7:45am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

I am not talking Yoruba here. Dangote, a Northerner is more ore less the largest employer in Lagos, and Nigeria wide.
I am talking about a region regardless of its occupants.
I could care less if the residents are from Zamfara. My point is that the SW of Nigeria provides the most opportunity
in Nigeria.
I am certain the stats you referred me to does not take into account state of region. It basically compiles data from a region and simply
extrapolate without factoring ethnic background.

Sure, but regardless poverty is more rampant in the SW than the SE. Several facts show that.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by AloyEmeka6: 7:45am On Dec 26, 2009
vangogh:

It's Mike Adenuga plz.
Re: Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures by vangogh: 7:48am On Dec 26, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

It's Mike Adenuga plz.

Could very well be. In Nigeria, it's hard to measure anything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas / We Need N222bn To Conduct 2018 Census, Says NPC / Southwest Will Stick With Osinbajo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.