Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,326 members, 7,864,560 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:35 PM

Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US - Politics (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US (62471 Views)

Suicide Bomber Refuses To Detonate Her Explosive Out Of Mercy (PHOTOS) / Boko Haram Suicide Bomber Killed After Vest Failed To Detonate (Photo) / Bombs Fail To Detonate As Suicide Bomber Rams Into Military Check Point (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Pataki: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2009
Lagosboy:

@pataki

That his father his chairman of Jaiz islamic bankand you linking it to terrorist financial network is absolutely ridiculous. How much does a firecracker "banga"costs and how much is a box of matches or cigarette lighter.

This dude acted on his own and I still dont believe the whole story and intent because it just doesnt add up.

Bloomberg links him to yemen and even linked him to Awlaki the cleric that was linked to Nidal, which is just plain ridiculous. It seems the US wants to invade yemen as well. Any excuse they link everything together and sell it to the world. Lets tell them we arent plaion silly.

A terrorist of AQ capability or links will not blow up a landing plane rather will blow up the plane mid air the atlantic ocean.
Please engage some thinking faculty. A firecrack under a pressurized plane, even as little as a banger is dangerous. Have you ever thought, why bangers/fireworks are never ignited inside a house or a closed environment? You stated that you are a chemical engineer, do not let your religious bigotry blindfold your senses in this matter.

As for financial fundings/sponsoring, it is only sensible and logical to question the unquestionable. If you employ good sense of investigation, which I know you do have, you would question whether his father has anything to do with it. Islamic banking on its own, have their own agenda for banking. His father, could be no different from an extremist in my own view. He is prone for investigation and I assume, he must have connections to one or two terrorist networks going by what we are hearing of his own son. He cannot claim he is oblivious to the act and behavior of his son over an extended period of time.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Lagosboy: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2009
No2Atheism:

@Lagosboy

Your statements are starting to become semantics . . .

- It was a terrorist act to explode something on the plane whether the plane is on the ground or in the air is irrelevant . . . how many people are killed or injured is irrelevant cus it would still be a terrorist act. . . hence to be frank, i do not understand your semantics and attempts to obsfucate the issue as if this is an aeronautical engineering class.

I have never for once on this forum said it wasnt a terrorist act. I have only been trying to analyse the whole event and it doesnt add up, only a fool will say it is not a terrorist act.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by FMK(m): 1:57pm On Dec 26, 2009
puyaca:

Has anybody seen the guys picture yet? cos i dont believe that guy is a Nigerian.yes we are capable of a lot, but sucide bombing? terrorism ?Nope.

Sure you are  very indeed
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by oderemo(m): 1:57pm On Dec 26, 2009
the guy is living in a 4 million pounds rented property in Central London. [quote][/quote]

The appt. is rented out to students. lets stay with facts pls.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by ladi02(m): 1:58pm On Dec 26, 2009
Sky news, just reported that he lived in central london, in an apartment worth between 3-4m pounds, he is definately the son of some rich Nigerian
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by tunku(m): 1:58pm On Dec 26, 2009

Time to freaking disintegrate this country. It is not enough for the Northern Cabal to terrorize ordinary Nigerians, now they aim to make life hard for Nigerians of all stripes abroad. They shouldn't treat this Limousine terrorist for his injuries. Let him languid in pain and die of his gangrenous wounds.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by MrCrackles(m): 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2009
igbo boy:

How unrelated or related  we dont know, just as i think the person who is trying to connect father with son needs to be careful as we have no proof neither do we have proof that they are not connected,

Well I agree with you that with should just focus on the main issue , the DUMB MODAFOCKER and stop insinuating
Thank you my brother!
Until it is outhere crystal clear and beyond doubt, we can only fold our hands and watch. . .
What is clear at the moment is the fact that the shitzo is a terrorist act and should be condemned by every sane person outhere!
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by skfa1: 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2009
puyaca:

Has anybody seen the guys picture yet? cos i dont believe that guy is a Nigerian.yes we are capable of a lot, but sucide bombing? terrorism ?Nope.

Yes we need to know the real ID of the person pls

Has the dad come forward to say he is my son?

His school in London, have they confirmed from their file that he is a Nigerian? and other details

We need to confirm so many information cause someone passport might be stolen to commit a crime.

Pls we need more confirmation and more information.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by oderemo(m): 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2009
His father, could be no different from an extremist in my own view. He is prone for investigation and I assume, he must have connections to one or two terrorist networks going by what we are hearing of his own son. He cannot claim he is oblivious to the act and behavior of his son over [quote][/quote]

na wa for your view oh.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by paddylo1(m): 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2009
Sky news, just reported that he lived in central london, in an apartment worth between 3-4m pounds, he is definately the son of some rich Nigerian

yea but i read on bbc that he is renting the basement apartment not the whole building. . .
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Akeemos: 2:01pm On Dec 26, 2009
@Lagos boy, check this out:
Yemen and Nigeria, One thing in common, a troubled leadership, seemingly non existence. A huge threat to the world according to the US, next 20 000 actually, since Saudi Arabia ain't the biggest admirer  of this country, it might just take 7,000 troops to overrun the divided country, a well ochestrated work of the US using S.A to do that and the same script is playing out here only that this time, they have the luxury of the not just ethnic divide but religious option to play with too and that seem to have been working as greatly highlighted here. However, Iran likes a part of this country, the U.S could want to use Yemen as the testing ground for the nuclear might of Iran. Very nice plan, not bad. With the Nigeria in the middle of this all, Nigeria would want to negotiate a shift in ground in AFRICOM to avoid a backlash.
THAT'S IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@No2Atheism, NO OBFUSCATION HERE
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Lagosboy: 2:01pm On Dec 26, 2009
Pataki:

As for financial fundings/sponsoring, it is only sensible and logical to question the unquestionable. If you employ good sense of investigation, which I know you do have, you would question whether his father has anything to do with it. Islamic banking on its own, have their own agenda for banking. His father, could be no different from an extremist in my own view. He is prone for investigation and I assume, he must have connections to one or two terrorist networks going by what we are hearing of his own son. He cannot claim he is oblivious to the act and behavior of his son over an extended period of time.

How can his father have anything to do with this.

For crying out loud , Jonny Walker (the american taliban fighter) his dad was  justice in the american courts. Did they investigate his dad?
9/11 saudi guys were children of one of the wealthies people in the kingdom and never for once were their parents dragged into this.

What is the agenda of islamic banking if not islamic fianance. Why do you guys have any issues with anything islamic,i really think you have to put on your thinking cap like you suggested because you bringing his dad and islamic banking into this is just plain right ridiculous.

How much does a firecracker cost?
How much does a cigarette lighter cost?

Please lets stop spinning issues as no enlightened mind will swallow this view of yours. Even papbrowne never went this far.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Pataki: 2:04pm On Dec 26, 2009
ode remo:

Did we actually have an EXPLOTION, MR CIA AND FBI.
I assume it must be your kid typing the above. I will not respond to this, until I get a more coherent argument to what your kid has just stated.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by MrCartha: 2:04pm On Dec 26, 2009
I'm begining to think of his father's home been checked to see if bin laden is not resident there grin
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Lagosboy: 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2009
Akeemos:

@Lagos boy, check this out:
Yemen and Nigeria, One thing in common, a troubled leadership, seemingly non existence. A huge threat to the world according to the US, next 20 000 actually, since Saudi Arabia ain't the biggest admirer  of this country, it might just take 7,000 troops to overrun the divided country, a well ochestrated work of the US using S.A to do that and the same script is playing out here only that this time, they have the luxury of the not just ethnic divide but religious option to play with too and that seem to have been working as greatly highlighted here. However, Iran likes a part of this country, the U.S could want to use Yemen as the testing ground for the nuclear might of Iran. Very nice plan, not bad. With the Nigeria in the middle of this all, Nigeria would want to negotiate a shift in ground in AFRICOM to avoid a backlash.
THAT'S IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@No2Atheism, NO OBFUSCATION HERE

We say NO to AFRICOM, we dont want Al Qaeda in Nigeria, we dont want Nigeria to be another Pakistan. Bringing AFRICOM is like granting limiless visas to  AQ
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by No2Atheism(m): 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2009
Lagosboy:

I have never for once on this forum said it wasnt a terrorist act. I have only been trying to analyse the whole event and it doesnt add up, only a fool will say it is not a terrorist act.

-  I apologise to you for implying otherwise . . .

-  I am trying to point out to you that you should please stop arguing about the semantics of how it happened and what effects might occur, this is because this gives an impression that you are trying to obsfucate the issue.

- Since we both agree that its a terrorist act, then lets leave it at that . . . and instead focus on other investigations surrounding the issue.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by ElRazur: 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2009
Lagosboy:

How much does a firecracker cost?
How much does a cigarette lighter cost?

Please lets stop spinning issues

What proof do you have that it is a fire cracker? It has been officially confirmed that he had an explosive mix. A firecracker is not the same as an explosive mix or is it? Besides, who takes on a form of bomb/explosion on board - I have a feeling where ever airport he checked in that these items are prohibited.

No one is spinning issues, but you. First you have been adamant that nothing will happen, yet when me and others have challenged that view on the basis of logic and known facts, you dont appear to be saying much. Dude, do not let religion fraternity cloud your vision.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 26, 2009
It seems there much more than meets the eyes! Nigeria may be the next point of call for american invasion pls lets cross all d facts b4 we draw conclusions
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by ladi02(m): 2:06pm On Dec 26, 2009
Ex-First Bank Chairman's Son Identified as US Plane Attempted Bomber
• Father reported him to US Authorities long few months ago
By Yusuph Olaniyonu, 12.26.2009

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

The young man, who yesterday night attempted to ignite an explosive device aboard a North-West Airlines flight going from Amsterdam to Detroit, Michigan in the United States has been identified as Abdul Farouk Umar Abdulmutallab, the 23-year-old son of Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, former First Bank chairman, who just retired from the bank's board a fortnight ago.

The older Mutallab, who as at the time of filing this report, had just left his Katsina hometown for Abuja for the purpose of speaking with security agencies, was said to have noticed the extreme nature of the boy's religious belief and has taken several measures to tame him.

In fact, the former bank chairman, a close source told THISDAY, had a few months ago reported the boy's activities to United States' authorities and Nigerian security agencies.

The older Mutallab was said to be devastated on hearing the news of abdullFarouk's arrest. A source close to him said he was surprised that after his reports to the US authorities, the young man was still issued a visa to enter the United States.

The suspect, Abdulfarouk Muttalab who is an engineering student at the University College, London had been noted for his extreme views on religion since his secondary school days at the British International School, Lome, Togo.

At the secondary school, he was known for preaching about Islam to his school mates and he qwas popularly called ëAlfaí , a local coinage for Islamic scholar. After his secondary school, the young man, family sources said, once relocated to Dubai in  the United Arab Emirates from where he declared to his family members that he did not want to have anything to do with any of them again.

His father, Muttalab is a prominent Nigerian who is a regular visitor to the US where he visits for medical check up and holiday. He is expected to issue a statement later today. Muttalab is married to a Yemeni who however is not the mother of the young man now receiving treatment in Ann Harbor Hospital, Detroit  for burns suffered while he was trying to detonate the expolosive device.

Meanwhile, the federal government of Nigeria yesterday issued a press statement on the incident.
The statement signed by Prof. Dora Akunyili, minister of information and communications, reads:  " Federal Government of Nigeria received with dismay the news of an attempted terrorist attack on a US airline. We state very clearly that as a nation, we abhor all forms of terrorism. The Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=162769
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by tunku(m): 2:08pm On Dec 26, 2009
It isn't firecrackers, stop trying to downplay this event. Tell me something Lagos boy as crazed as the chrisitans are Have they inspired a murderous rampage through cities this year banning education? Enough MOLLY CUDDLING of this Islamic extremists by people who say that they are mainstream muslims.  This guy from his life and his background had no excuse, rhyme, or reason to do what he did. The fact that he is a muslim is not accidental. Now I am not saying that all muslims are terrorist but they have successfully monopolized the market on terrorism for the past decade. Now this unholy alliance with the corrupt banking sector that brought the world to its knees seems somewhat apropos. BTW this is not a plot to invade Nigeria and If it is I welcome it. It is time to overthrow these inbred leaders who wrap themselves in the unctuous vestiges of religiosity.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Lagosboy: 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2009
ElRazur:

What proof do you have that it is a fire cracker? It has been officially confirmed that he had an explosive mix. A firecracker is not the same as an explosive mix or is it?A Besides, who takes on a form of bomb/explosion on board - I have a feeling where ever airport he checked in that these items are prohibited.

No one is spinning issues, but you. First you have been adamant that nothing will happen, yet when me and others have challenged that view on the basis of logic and known facts, you dont appear to be saying much. Dude, do not let religion fraternity cloud your vision.
ElRazur:

What proof do you have that it is a fire cracker? It has been officially confirmed that he had an explosive mix. A firecracker is not the same as an explosive mix or is it?A Besides, who takes on a form of bomb/explosion on board - I have a feeling where ever airport he checked in that these items are prohibited.

Nah you got it all wrong, i dont know what page you started to read my posts but if you actually read my first post on this thread , i did condemn the terrorist act.

I went further to challenge the rational and story behind the news. Blowing a plane mid air over the atlantic sea is better for a terrorist then a landing plane on US soil. Any fool will acknowledge this so i dont get what you are saying.

What has religion got to do with my views on this if not simple logic.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by jorel1(m): 2:11pm On Dec 26, 2009
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Parohfrey(f): 2:12pm On Dec 26, 2009
Fox news is blaming the Nigerian security system, calling it lax. But this guy flew from Europe - Amsterdamn, where you are almost stripped to the flesh before boarding a flight out of the airport- so, how come FOX is blaming Nigerian security??
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by No2Atheism(m): 2:13pm On Dec 26, 2009
ode remo: The appt. is rented out to students. lets stay with facts pls.

- Is he occupying the whole building . . .

- Is the building being occupied by other students . . .

- Is 4million pounds the amount paid for rent by him or is it the amount just the overall value of the building itself irrespective of the student or students living there . . .
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by MrCartha: 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2009
Guyz, the latest reports says that the guy might have received the explosive at the airport in Amsterdam. But this information is yet to be confirmed.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by tunku(m): 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2009
Lagosboy Terrorism is not an exercise in logic It is meant to be a spectacular act of brutal violence in order to terrorize a much larger population. As a dolt this man shouldn't be expected to be a right thinking man when his intentions were to blow up a plane full of people. It doesn't matter if it was two minutes from landing or two hours, had he been successful people would have died.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by ElRazur: 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2009
Lagosboy:

Nah you got it all wrong, i dont know what page you started to read my posts but if you actually read my first post on this thread , i did condemn the terrorist act.

I went further to challenge the rational and story behind the news. Blowing a plane mid air over the atlantic sea is better for a terrorist then a landing plane on US soil. Any fool will acknowledge this so i dont get what you are saying.

What has religion got to do with my views on this if not simple logic.

I get you right. Unless off course you weren't posting in english language all along.

My point is stop trying to challenge or down play as to why he picked the point he opted to ignite the improvised explosion mix. Also, you appear to be suggesting that a plane will not explode at lower altitude as there is already gradual depressurization etc. These logics of yours are wrong and inaccurate. Simple.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Akeemos: 2:16pm On Dec 26, 2009
Paroh_frey:

Fox news is blaming the Nigerian security system, calling it lax. But this guy flew from Europe - Amsterdamn, where you are almost stripped to the flesh before boarding a flight out of the airport- so, how come FOX is blaming Nigerian security??

SEARCH ME O, Those guys are just plain stupid and completely selfish, pretending to be fighting for the American people but they are just trying to be popular and enrich their pocket, am holding my self back from using a foul language on them! angry
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Pataki: 2:16pm On Dec 26, 2009
ladi02:

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

The young man, who yesterday night attempted to ignite an explosive device aboard a North-West Airlines flight going from Amsterdam to Detroit, Michigan in the United States has been identified as Abdul Farouk Umar Abdulmutallab, the 23-year-old son of Alhaji Umaru Mutallab, former First Bank chairman, who just retired from the bank's board a fortnight ago.

The older Mutallab, who as at the time of filing this report, had just left his Katsina hometown for Abuja for the purpose of speaking with security agencies, was said to have noticed the extreme nature of the boy's religious belief and has taken several measures to tame him.

In fact, the former bank chairman, a close source told THISDAY, had a few months ago reported the boy's activities to United States' authorities and Nigerian security agencies.

The older Mutallab was said to be devastated on hearing the news of abdullFarouk's arrest. A source close to him said he was surprised that after his reports to the US authorities, the young man was still issued a visa to enter the United States.

The suspect, Abdulfarouk Muttalab who is an engineering student at the University College, London had been noted for his extreme views on religion since his secondary school days at the British International School, Lome, Togo.

At the secondary school, he was known for preaching about Islam to his school mates and he qwas popularly called ëAlfaí , a local coinage for Islamic scholar. After his secondary school, the young man, family sources said, once relocated to Dubai in  the United Arab Emirates from where he declared to his family members that he did not want to have anything to do with any of them again.

His father, Muttalab is a prominent Nigerian who is a regular visitor to the US where he visits for medical check up and holiday. He is expected to issue a statement later today. Muttalab is married to a Yemeni who however is not the mother of the young man now receiving treatment in Ann Harbor Hospital, Detroit  for burns suffered while he was trying to detonate the expolosive device.

Meanwhile, the federal government of Nigeria yesterday issued a press statement on the incident.
The statement signed by Prof. Dora Akunyili, minister of information and communications, reads:  " Federal Government of Nigeria received with dismay the news of an attempted terrorist attack on a US airline. We state very clearly that as a nation, we abhor all forms of terrorism. The Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck

This is what I term as ''idiotic patronizing claptrap''. He knew of his son's extremist view all along, yet still gives him the best of the best of funding and travel expenses acrosss the world? How was his son able to afford a 4million pound rented apartment to student in Central London? Suddenly, the news of his son comes flying out, Muttalab himself declares he has notified the US of his extreme Islamic views. Total incoherent jargons.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by Lagosboy: 2:17pm On Dec 26, 2009
ladi02:

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Pataki and elrazur

Can you please read this, I bet it was his fathers report to them that made them include him on the so called "list" of terrorists.
@Pataki
Do you still want his father investigated?
It is only in Nigeria a a person commits a crime and his whole family are arrested . Pataki you are only displaying the typical mindset of a nigeria police officer.
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by SEFAGO(m): 2:17pm On Dec 26, 2009
why is it despite the fact that this is a proven terrorist attack some i.d.i.o.ts are still claiming otherwise- why is nigeria full of low IQ people
Re: Nigerian Man Attempts To Detonate Explosive On Delta Flight In US by namski(m): 2:18pm On Dec 26, 2009
Guys, Please has there been any statement issued by any government rep on this matter. To be honest, I dont think we can deal with this issue and many of us here are failing to appreciate the magnitude of this incidence, just like many did not appreciate the effect of the economic crisis till the nation almost got crippled by its effect.

I am extremely concerned about where this will land us. I still want to wake up and someone to tell me that the whole thing was just a big joke. Wetin concern naija with fighting for Al-Queda abi Mohammed! What sort of nonsense is this. Dora, you have to deal with this o!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (57) (Reply)

Buhari Expresses Sadness As APC Loses 50 Elective Seats / Military Jet Combs Orlu For ESN Operatives After Failed Land Combat / EndSARS: Lekki Tollgate Night Of Protest In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.