Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,849 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (42599 Views)

Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Mpanyi: 1:14pm On Apr 04, 2017
Bunkum! They call it chi ukwu. big god. It's totally different Chukwu
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Uzoigwe1(m): 1:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice!!

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by ifyain: 1:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
Brilliant and refreshing .

5 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Chanchit: 1:16pm On Apr 04, 2017
So the two deities get white man face and an unknown body structure, the sculptor for try better na
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:16pm On Apr 04, 2017
I thought Chukwu is God, not a deity?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 04, 2017
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God; I respect and reverence The Omenala Igbo. But i refuse to worship a moulded mud, molten image, ife akpuru akpu of all kinds as God.

4 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Dekatron(m): 1:16pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice one guys!! See as the thread just dry sad sad shocked embarassed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by colossus91(m): 1:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
Rilwayne001:
Nnamdi Kanu is the third tongue

7 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by JideAmuGiaka: 1:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
Op, you must be high on Asiwaju weed to say that Chukwu is an idol.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Dekatron(m): 1:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God;
You mean the dead jew? grin shocked

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:
Enough of the Abrahamic religions(judahism,christianity and islam), for once lets try to appreciate the Gods of our forefathers.

i would be educating you all on two very prominent ones in Igbo land.

Ala/Ani/Ana (the Igbo earth goddess)

Ala (also known as Ani, Ana, Ale, and Ali in varying Igbo dialects) is the female Alusi (deity) of the earth, morality, fertility and creativity in Odinani. She is the most important Alusi in the Igbo pantheon. In Odinani, Ala rules over the underworld, and holds the deceased ancestors in her womb. Her name literally translates to 'Ground' in the Igbo language, denoting her powers over the earth and her status as the ground itself. Ala is considered the highest Alusi in the Igbo pantheon. Ala's husband is Amadioha, the sky deity.

As the goddess of morality, Ala is involved in judging human actions and is in charge of Igbo law and customs known as 'Omenala'. Taboos and crimes among Igbo communities that are against the standard of Ala are called nsọ Ala. All ground is considered 'Holy land' as it is Ala herself. With human fertility, Ala is credited for the productivity of the land. Ala's messenger and living agent on earth is the python (Igbo: éké), which is especially revered in many Igbo communities. In art, Ala is often represented as a regal figure seated on a throne, surrounded by her family. In the past, such figures took the form of life-size mud sculptures in special festive shrines dedicated to the deity and known as Mbari.

Op, sorry to say ,these are man made gods.
They have eyes dt could not see
Mouth....cannot talk
Ears.....couldn't hear
Cannot walk... You keep dm in a spot....dy are thre 4eva
I will not worship man made gods
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by bouncino(m): 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2017
Good write up but you were mixing the terminologies.
Chukwu or Chineke is not a deity but the Supreme Being - the creator of the universe or God the Creator.
In Igbo traditional religion, order of spiritual importance is ranked thus
1. Chukwu
2. Deities
3. Ancestors and
4. Chi - personal god or your moral compass (conscience)

Once again, good topic.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by northvietnam(m): 1:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Or guardian angel. What Edo people call Ehi

But OP, who is strongest between Chukwu and Ani ,and which is first in existence?

I think Ani is powerful...

if u kill green snake in my villa and u no do burial for the snake, you will swell and burst...

I have seen it happen Ooooo...

2) if you don't bury your parents with native cow or Goat when they die..

if you ever eat any native cow used to bury any body or goat..

straight to grave..

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by oglalasioux(m): 1:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
So which of them taught our ancestors how to prevent guinea worm or malaria before the white man came to Africa?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Amarabae(f): 1:22pm On Apr 04, 2017
So we should start worshipping idols? I am a christian pls.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by JideAmuGiaka: 1:23pm On Apr 04, 2017
wazobaaa:
chukwu chukeu
The op lacks understanding of the massage he's trying to pass across.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by ademoladeji(m): 1:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
1shortblackboy:
nice post

What's nice about the post?

It's your likes that condemn the doctrineof the Catholics as well as others with different beliefs.

Idol worshipping is okay by you abi?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Jameskyrian(m): 1:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:
Chukwu

Chukwu is the supreme being of the Igbo religion. In the Igbo pantheon, Chukwu is the source of all other Igbo deities, and is responsible for assigning them their different tasks. The Igbo people believe that all things come from Chukwu, who brings the rains necessary for plants to grow and controls everything on earth and the spiritual world. They believe Chukwu to be an infinitely powerful, undefinable, supreme deity encompassing everything in space and space itself.

Linguistic studies suggest that the name "Chukwu" or "Chukouuee" is a portmanteau of the Igbo words "Chi" ("spiritual being" ) and "Ukwu" ("great in size" ).

According to the Igbo people from the south-eastern region of Nigeria, Chineke is the creator of the world and everything good in it along with rain, trees, and other plants. Chukwu is a supreme God represented by the sun. The ancient God is not humanized in Igbo tradition belief. Because the Igbo deities Amadioha and Ikenga are masculine, Chukwu is assumed to be male.

Many Igbo Christians refer to the Christian God as Chukwu as well.The Igbo believe it is impossible for humans to conceive of the unlimited power of Chukwu. Many Igbo dialects refer to God by names such as "Chukwu", "Chiokike", or "Obasi."

There are five aspects of Chukwu:

Chukwu - the first force and existence of all beings.
Anyanwu - symbolic meaning of the sun. The sun reveals everything so Chukwu is the source of knowledge and the author of all knowledge.
Agbala - the fertility of Earth, its people, and its spiritual world full of sub-deities.
Chi - a sub-deity functioning as a personal, spiritual guide.
Okike - creator of laws that govern the visible and invisible.

what an intriguing write up......so articulate

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
Dekatron:
You mean the dead jew? grin shocked
Wetin be Jew? Abeg go borrow sense.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
gods of the f*** heads undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by hahn(m): 1:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God; I respect and reverence The Omenala Igbo. But i refuse to worship a moulded mud, molten image, ife akpuru akpu of all kinds as God.

We are not talking about foreign imaginary gods that were introduced to us by slavery here

We are talking about things we knew about before even Greek mythology undecided

10 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gazettemovement:

Op, sorry to say ,these are man made gods.
They have eyes dt could not see
Mouth....cannot talk
Ears.....couldn't hear
Cannot walk... You keep dm in a spot....dy are thre 4eva
I will not worship man made gods
So you would rather worship a god which was imposed on you by the white man? Okay weh done

4 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
Jameskyrian:

what an intriguing write up......so articulate
Thanks
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by seenter84: 1:26pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nigeria = juju country
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Tundepegba: 1:26pm On Apr 04, 2017
So if i say chukwu, thats the god?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:27pm On Apr 04, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Or guardian angel. What Edo people call Ehi

But OP, who is strongest between Chukwu and Ani ,and which is first in existence?
Chukwu is the strongest, all the other deities are just spirits (alusi). They are all answerable to Chukwu.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:28pm On Apr 04, 2017
goldedprince:
why
E don happen na
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:
Op, you must be high on Asiwaju weed to say that Chukwu is an idol.
The name Chukwu was in existence ages before the white man came to Africa...He was a God worshipped by the igbos...get your facts right before commenting.

5 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Tazdroid(m): 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2017
Deity wey no fit save nmandi kanu from the watery kuje beans. shey that one na deity
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2017
seenter84:
Nigeria = juju country
What is juju? Is Christianity not a white man's juju?

4 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by realmindz: 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice one op,
educate this confused race suffering of identity issues.
Let them know that chukwu and Yahweh were never same

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oba Of Ewuare Of Benin Visits Edo Indigenes In Rivers State / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.