Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (42547 Views)

Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (2) (3) (4)

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by maj007(m): 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2017
And yet they claim they are "ISRAELITES".

Jews my foot!!!!
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by akigbemaru: 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2017
Chanchit:
So the two deities get white man face and an unknown body structure, the sculptor for try better na
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:34pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God; I respect and reverence The Omenala Igbo. But i refuse to worship a moulded mud, molten image, ife akpuru akpu of all kinds as God.
It's you choice bro nobody can force you...as for me i have stop being a slave to the white man and his god.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by plaetton: 1:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:
Chukwu

Chukwu is the supreme being of the Igbo religion. In the Igbo pantheon, Chukwu is the source of all other Igbo deities, and is responsible for assigning them their different tasks. The Igbo people believe that all things come from Chukwu, who brings the rains necessary for plants to grow and controls everything on earth and the spiritual world. They believe Chukwu to be an infinitely powerful, undefinable, supreme deity encompassing everything in space and space itself.

Linguistic studies suggest that the name "Chukwu" or "Chukouuee" is a portmanteau of the Igbo words "Chi" ("spiritual being" ) and "Ukwu" ("great in size" ).

According to the Igbo people from the south-eastern region of Nigeria, Chineke is the creator of the world and everything good in it along with rain, trees, and other plants. Chukwu is a supreme God represented by the sun. The ancient God is not humanized in Igbo tradition belief. Because the Igbo deities Amadioha and Ikenga are masculine, Chukwu is assumed to be male.

Many Igbo Christians refer to the Christian God as Chukwu as well.The Igbo believe it is impossible for humans to conceive of the unlimited power of Chukwu. Many Igbo dialects refer to God by names such as "Chukwu", "Chiokike", or "Obasi."

There are five aspects of Chukwu:

Chukwu - the first force and existence of all beings.
Anyanwu - symbolic meaning of the sun. The sun reveals everything so Chukwu is the source of knowledge and the author of all knowledge.
Agbala - the fertility of Earth, its people, and its spiritual world full of sub-deities.
Chi - a sub-deity functioning as a personal, spiritual guide.
Okike - creator of laws that govern the visible and invisible.
Good work. wink
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
maj007:
And yet they claim they are "ISRAELITES".

Jews my foot!!!!
Must you talk rubbish? Which tribe in Africa didn't have their traditional beliefs before the arrival of the whiteman. Stop turning everything to a tribal fight.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 04, 2017
hahn:

We are not talking about foreign imaginary gods that were introduced to us by slavery here

We are talking about things we knew about before even Greek mythology undecided
Freedom of worship is allowed.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:37pm On Apr 04, 2017
plaetton:

Good work. wink
Thanks bro
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by plaetton: 1:38pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gazettemovement:

Op, sorry to say ,these are man made gods.
They have eyes dt could not see
Mouth....cannot talk
Ears.....couldn't hear
Cannot walk... You keep dm in a spot....dy are thre 4eva
I will not worship man made gods

And which god is not man made ? shocked

What you mean is that these are African man made gods, and that YOU prefer to worship middle East or European man made gods.
Simple.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

It's you choice bro nobody can force you...as for me i have stop being a slave to the white man and his god.
Your choice!
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by realmindz: 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God; I respect and reverence The Omenala Igbo. But i refuse to worship a moulded mud, molten image, ife akpuru akpu of all kinds as God.

A confused black deluded person you are.

Chukwu was never yahweh, same as Abassi, Eledumare, Olorun etc.

Your people were enslaved and indoctrinated, the names of your local gods were reassigned to yahweh the jewish god.

Go find your heritage...i just love that heritage bank advert.

oh ye confused race.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
northvietnam:

I think Ani is powerful...

if u kill green snake in my villa and u no do burial for the snake, you will swell and burst...

I have seen it happen Ooooo...

2) if you don't bury your parents with native cow or Goat when they die..

if you ever eat any native cow used to bury any body or goat..

straight to grave..

shocked Best to avoid your village. I won't be visiting as a tourist anymore. **removes it from my list** grin

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
plaetton:

And which god is not man made ? shocked

What you mean is that these are African man made gods, and that YOy prefer to worship middle East or European man made gods.
Simple.
Don't mind them, they prefer a foreign man made god to a local man made god...later they would say buy naija to grow naija.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by bouncino(m): 1:41pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

The name Chukwu was in existence ages before the white man came to Africa...He was a God worshipped by the igbos...get your facts right before commenting.
Chukwu is the Almighty God.
He is worshipped or approached via the deities, ancestors or personal chi. Chukwu is not a deity or idol.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by SuperBlack: 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods
Where was the ones in your village when Nnamdi Kanu was arrested? They were sleeping i guess.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2017
realmindz:

Your people were enslaved and indoctrinated, the names of your local gods were reassigned to yahweh the jewish god.

oh ye confused race.
Well said bro, majority of them are very ignorant about this.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by goldedprince: 1:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

E don happen na
i know but why?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 1:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
bouncino:

Chukwu is the Almighty God.
He is worshipped or approached via the deities, ancestors or personal chi. Chukwu is not a deity or idol.
Very correct, made a mistake. Thanks
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by plaetton: 1:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
bouncino:
Good write up but you were mixing the terminologies.
Chukwu or Chineke is not a deity but the Supreme Being - the creator of the universe or God the Creator.
In Igbo traditional religion, order of spiritual importance is ranked thus
1. Chukwu
2. Deities
3. Ancestors and
4. Chi - personal god or your moral compass (conscience)

Once again, good topic.

Correction Sir.
The word deity means any supernatural being that is worshiped or venerated.
But , your hierarchy of Igbo gods or deities are correct.
Chukwu is at the top of the pantheon of deities, just like EL was at the top of the Canaanite pantheon, where he sat in judgement of the lesser deities, including and especially Yahweh.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by goldedprince: 1:47pm On Apr 04, 2017
all this is shit. not excluding the ones christians and muslims worship.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 04, 2017
Igboland is a mixture of indigenous aborigines and immigrants from the middle east, i.e. Eri, the great... progenitor of the Nri dynasty.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Spicycat(f): 1:48pm On Apr 04, 2017
Interesting write up, so the Chuku okeke obioma (pardon my spelling) is a white faced looking idol after all. undecided

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by holysainbj(m): 1:49pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods
tarh! mechionu!

religious sentiments is making you blind to the fact that we are loosing our roots, our origin
who told u to worship alusi?

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by BLACKdagger: 1:51pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:

I just get confused when i read some comments on nairaland..
These questions pop into my mind
does she have sense at all? undecided
Is she a kid? undecided
Was she drunk? undecided

In as much as i dnt fancy this op article at all.
Bcox i aint and idol worshiper.
But the big question why i quoted u is. .WHAT HAS NNAMDI KALU GOT TO DO WITH THIS??.
or u just wana gain likes for ururself cox u know mentioning him would generate u :likes" undecided

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by fuckboys: 1:52pm On Apr 04, 2017
Spicycat:
Interesting write up, so the Chuku okeke obioma (pardon my spelling) is a white faced looking idol after all. undecided
i want you to be my girl, can i pm you?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 04, 2017
realmindz:

oh ye confused race.
My dear to be sincere you are more deluded and confused. Open your eyes and see the confusion in religion. It's my choice. So stop getting pained. It' my choice i repeat. To me Chukwu okike is God the creator. I love Jesus' teachings so i follow him. I reverence our omenala. But you see the water(mmiri), the land(ala/ani), the fire(oku), the smoke and other elementals are under my feet. Abeg no get pained.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by arowstev2000: 2:01pm On Apr 04, 2017
MY PPL AND JUJU

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Spicycat(f): 2:02pm On Apr 04, 2017
fuckboys:
i want you to be my girl, can i pm you?

What?, shocked if you need a girl i will advise you to impregnate a lady and pray she gives birth to a girl so that you can have "my girl" grin
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by thunderbabs: 2:03pm On Apr 04, 2017
I need a bottle of Schnapps before reading this at all

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by edogu(m): 2:03pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

So you would rather worship a god which was imposed on you by the white man? Okay weh done
You even get time to be replying him.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 2:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:

The Arab gods you worship now, do you know how it started?

Neo colonialism still fey worry you.

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by rayzornaija(m): 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2017
My fellow Igbos wise up. You are the very source of your own problems in Nigeria. We're here talking about our tradition and some people are talking trash about man made gods.
Look at the way the yorubas promote their culture... Even here in America a white man knows about sango, Oya, ifa, and the rest of their gods. But igbo man will be the first to kill his culture and still cry foul.

Man made gods my foot.... Can you even prove beyond every reasonable doubt that Jesus even existed?

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 04, 2017
I love this.

Man Killed In Benin While Testing Charms’ Efficacy / Oba Of Ewuare Of Benin Visits Edo Indigenes In Rivers State / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago.