Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (42587 Views)

Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by BobHIGHNESS(m): 4:06pm On Apr 04, 2017
Though I'm a deist, I worship none, but if I were to choose who to worship, I prefer all these gods than foreign unseen god I only know through some books called scriptures written by fellow men with thousand of contradictions. Since local deities are providing my needs, I don't need a god who know my problems and still deny me solution despite I pray to him. #saynotowhitereligion #saynotochurch, lets go to shrine. I still believe there's an existence of God, but I owe Him not my worship or anything and He owe me not

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by walosky(m): 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by sonmvayina(m): 4:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
my contribution: i am Ibo from delta state...i love my heritage and that is one of the reason i came back to Nigeria. i have a mixed race son back in the UK and would like to know about my heritage so i can pass it on to him...

i think we have not still gasp the whole message..Christians, Muslims and modern day traditionalists...we should not forget that the words of God always comes from the mouth of men. most times they pass this message using parables..for you to get the message of God or the spiritual messages in the parable you have to be thought by the diviner or spiritualist.

each culture has their way of telling their parables, i as an Ibo will find it hard to understand a Yoruba parable unless a Yoruba man/woman explains it to me..because to do so i will need to understand the Yoruba numerology, symbolism and iconography..it is even harder if it is a foreign one..take for example..the symbol for wisdom in my place is the tortoise...and we have our own numerology..the number 7 is regarded as a perfect number so is 4..so if i say ''Mr okafor has 7 tortoise'' you wont understand if you are not from my place..you will keep asking..what Mr okafor is doing with 7 tortoises...this kind of understanding gives rise to religion..
we have to see the scriptures with our spiritual eyes..not the physical one..so when the bible writers say Solomon had 700 wives, if you dont know the numerology and symbolism of the Jews, you wont understand the message in the story. to the Jews the symbol for wisdom is woman...wife simply mean a legal bed mate..so the 700 wives will mean something a good or perfect wisdom and the 300 concubines will be like imperfect wisdom.

that said...the Gods in the world are all the same but different nomenclature..that means Chukwu is Eledumare, is Osanobua is Osalobua is Ra is Marduk is Kronos is Odin....just the nomenclature.. and those cultures has built their own story using the elements of their culture..the stories are different, but the message is the same....The creator God is the same different name by different cultures..different stories or parables same message..

7 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by sonmvayina(m): 5:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
The only one standing out is the Christian religion. It is the odd one out..for the simple reason that it has made the devil a dual opposite of God the creator..so that it can sell the story of Jesus..

i dont buy that idea at all. the devil is not a dual opposite of God and i dont think God created the devil to torment us either. i believe the devil or Esu is also part of God and does what God has approved for him to do..he is one of the lesser god closest to the creator that is why humans think they can bribe him buy putting sacrifice at road junction for him.

what ever he does is always with the expressed permission from God..God must approve what ever the devil wants to do. as related with the story of Job..that is the BASIC message in the story of Job..

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by buffalowings: 5:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
na amadioha I like pass
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 04, 2017
How can these pieces of woods be deities? When i ve seen the same looking pieces of woods in a London museum? It's either the deities was on holiday in London or the deities have families in London. grin grin
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 5:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
sonmvayina:
my contribution: i am Ibo from delta state...i love my heritage and that is one of the reason i came back to Nigeria. i have a mixed race son back in the UK and would like to know about my heritage so i can pass it on to him...

i think we have not still gasp the whole message..Christians, Muslims and modern day traditionalists...we should not forget that the words of God always comes from the mouth of men. most times they pass this message using parables..for you to get the message of God or the spiritual messages in the parable you have to be thought by the diviner or spiritualist.

each culture has their way of telling their parables, i as an Ibo will find it hard to understand a Yoruba parable unless a Yoruba man/woman explains it to me..because to do so i will need to understand the Yoruba numerology, symbolism and iconography..it is even harder if it is a foreign one..take for example..the symbol for wisdom in my place is the tortoise...and we have our own numerology..the number 7 is regarded as a perfect number so is 4..so if i say ''Mr okafor has 7 tortoise'' you wont understand if you are not from my place..you will keep asking..what Mr okafor is doing with 7 tortoises...this kind of understanding gives rise to religion..
we have to see the scriptures with our spiritual eyes..not the physical one..so when the bible writers say Solomon had 700 wives, if you dont know the numerology and symbolism of the Jews, you wont understand the message in the story. to the Jews the symbol for wisdom is woman...wife simply mean a legal bed mate..so the 700 wives will mean something a good or perfect wisdom and the 300 concubines will be like imperfect wisdom.

that said...the Gods in the world are all the same but different nomenclature..that means Chukwu is Eledumare, is Osanobua is Osalobua is Ra is Marduk is Kronos is Odin....just the nomenclature.. and those cultures has built their own story using the elements of their culture..the stories are different, but the message is the same....The creator God is the same different name by different cultures..different stories or parables same message..
Kedu nwannem,
Firstly there are no 'ibos',no one is 'IBO',we are all igbos ,start by teaching your children that.
This thread has nothing to do the plethora of deities worldwide, but only those that are peculiar to the igbos,visit your ancestral home, ask the elders, you would find Odinani ids the same everywhere.
Yagazie, Udo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by arosunshine(m): 5:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods

Were u born in Igboland or ur parents told you that you are Igbo ?

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by 1shortblackboy: 5:36pm On Apr 04, 2017
ademoladeji:

What's nice about the post?

It's your likes that condemn the doctrineof the Catholics as well as others with different beliefs.

Idol worshipping is okay by you abi?
because i think d post is nice doesnt mean i agree with idol worship. I think its nice because its educative especially for those of us interested in history and anthropology. If not for anything ar least its not another big beother naija post or killing of another snake or tonto dike or apostle suleman. So with this few points of mine i hope i've been able to convince and not confuse u that this is indeed a nice post.... thank u

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by realmindz: 5:51pm On Apr 04, 2017
sonmvayina:

You got it rly wrong, Eledumare is not Osanobua nor Odin. It is a misnomer to make that claim.

All cultures have their gods and stories behind them, it would be lazy to make a conclusion that they are all same.

One thing that is evident is that the whites rebranded the jewish version and sold the Jewish myths to the rest of the world.

Noah's ark or Adams apple were never part of Africa, same as Eledumare and yemoja never part of jewish myths...so why should we conclude that Eledumare, Abassi and the rest suddenly were same as the Jewish version?

Or why not the other way round? Ifa should be sold to the whites as tbe universal god and they should come to Ife for Holy pilgrimage

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 5:55pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

The name Chukwu was in existence ages before the white man came to Africa...He was a God worshipped by the igbos...get your facts right before commenting.
I think the point he's trying to make is that Chukwu abiama was never represented as an idol,he was believed to be a formless great spirit, mbari were set up in his dedication containing all other idols,but he was just represented by a big Nsibidi mark.
Even in Arochukwu, there are no idols to symbolize him.

Udo

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by gyapgyap: 6:05pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gracealone:
Please introduce me to good business contacts and keep your deities.

Pm me
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 04, 2017
dumodust:

Nobody ever said you should worship them here, just acknowledge them as part of history. Thanks
Anugo m, anula m.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by gcey2k(m): 6:37pm On Apr 04, 2017
NwaforIgbo:
Lies! This gods was intrduced to us by the people of the forest in guinea. When namdi Kanu was teaching u were busy insulting him, now you are making a mistake that he has already taught

I need a reference with regards the above assertion so I can study more.
Will be really appreciated.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by youngaduco(m): 6:39pm On Apr 04, 2017
all dis gods of a tin no get power....

moreover my bible tells me that WHEN POWER JAM POWER THE LESSER POWER WILL BOW.

Abi no so
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by youngaduco(m): 6:39pm On Apr 04, 2017

Abi no so
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by NwaforIgbo: 6:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
gcey2k:

I need a reference with regards the above assertion so I can study more.
Will be really appreciated.

Sorry i am still serching for it, like i said Kanu made the statement, when he comes out, i would ask him.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by gcey2k(m): 6:45pm On Apr 04, 2017
NwaforIgbo:

Sorry i am still serching for it, like i said Kanu made the statement, when he comes out, i would ask him.

Ok. No qualms. Would join you in the search then. Ndewo nwannem
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 6:51pm On Apr 04, 2017
youngaduco:

Abi no so
Which power are you talking about? This country has the highest number of churches and mosques yet no improvements...so tell me what's the essence of you people's religion.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by ademoladeji(m): 7:39pm On Apr 04, 2017
1shortblackboy:
because i think d post is nice doesnt mean i agree with idol worship. I think its nice because its educative especially for those of us interested in history and anthropology. If not for anything ar least its not another big beother naija post or killing of another snake or tonto dike or apostle suleman. So with this few points of mine i hope i've been able to convince and not confuse u that this is indeed a nice post.... thank u

I get it now....
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by musicwriter(m): 7:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
@marshborn

Do you know of any Igbo creation story? I mean, how Chukwu/Chineke created the world.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by terrence12(m): 7:47pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:

And smbody will come and tell me u r a future leader Buh here u r shy of having common sense....where was God wen Paul nd d rest of d Apostles were gruesomely murdered

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by DieDiamant: 7:49pm On Apr 04, 2017
You go fear research. odiegwu o!
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Vainglory: 7:51pm On Apr 04, 2017
youngaduco:

Abi no so
Which bible? The one they swear with in courts and then start telling all kinds of lies. Go and try that with Ofo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obaataaokpaewu: 8:18pm On Apr 04, 2017
obiezed:

I think the point he's trying to make is that Chukwu abiama was never represented as an idol,he was believed to be a formless great spirit, mbari were set up in his dedication containing all other idols,but he was just represented by a big Nsibidi mark.
Even in Arochukwu, there are no idols to symbolize him.

Udo
I just sent you a pm, please acknowledge.

Yagazie

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by cheruv: 8:53pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Uvru ufe undecided
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by princy80(m): 9:04pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
keep quiet and learn cheesy they are for igbos generally
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by SilvanusII(m): 9:34pm On Apr 04, 2017
Igbo dieties are mostly unfamiliar to me. The first few I came in contact with were in a novel...arrow of God I think. Anyways, they are Amadioha, Idemili. But I think they av many river gods and goddesses. I hope u get to post more of ur traditional pantheon
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 04, 2017
dumodust:

Nobody ever said you should worship them here, just acknowledge them as part of history. Thanks
Anugo m, anula m, anuwo m. Daalu maka ndumodu gi a.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 04, 2017
realmindz:

what's my pain in your ignorance.

It's quite exciting to see people of lesser minds like you because it shows there are only a few with abilities to reason. It's a privilege seeing a multitude of your kind.

The world is a pyramid, a few who sit at the top and a majority of ignorant people below...Thats how the world roll. Majority are to be kept ignorant to keep the balance.

Ever wonder why majority follow one religion or the other dogmatically? It's because majority are meant to be fooled thinking their numbers make them right

But don't worry my friend, you and many others will never comprehend what I've written.....for ignorance is bliss...enjoy
Lower minds and higher minds! Thank God that NL allows us to remain faceless.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by dumodust(m): 10:29pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
Anugo m, anula m, anuwo m. Daalu maka ndumodu gi a.

Lol... i melu ofumma... jee nke oma wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oba Of Ewuare Of Benin Visits Edo Indigenes In Rivers State / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.