Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,983 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (42601 Views)

Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by youngaduco(m): 10:37pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

Which power are you talking about? This country has the highest number of churches and mosques yet no improvements...so tell me what's the essence of you people's religion.

Men of little faith....for hw long shall (Jesus) stay with u......once ave God spoken n twice ave i heard dat power blngs to God......

So wich power is greata dan God power
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by blaqroy: 11:10pm On Apr 04, 2017
The one in my village helped a lot during the war... According to grandma/pa
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by SocialFaculty: 11:28pm On Apr 04, 2017
This woman harsh shaa. Two guards are permanently calming her down.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by FakoMaybach1: 12:44am On Apr 05, 2017
i for one am super duper grateful for this thread...May God reward everyone that joined hand to teach people like me in this thread (wanted to write that in Igbo but nna e hard)

For people like us that were raised up in diaspora and we have not had the luxury of seating with elders threads like this are very necessary

Biko Ndi'Igbo ekwela ka Omenala anyi na asusu anyi laba n'ime mmiri....we have a duty to keep our history evergreen

To the bloody hypocrites that are coming here to derail the thread, nobody is dragging Jesus with you, this is history and education not a chest beating contest...i am sure 90% of you shouting Jesus here now if una jam ISIS una go recite Quran finish

In-fact i suggest a season film on our deities should be started, i believe the stories will make a block buster and go platinum...we have a lot of stories to tell

6 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Phi001(m): 1:40am On Apr 05, 2017
FakoMaybach1:
i for one am super duper grateful for this thread...May God reward everyone that joined hand to teach people like me in this thread (wanted to write that in Igbo but nna e hard)

For people like us that were raised up in diaspora and we have not had the luxury of seating with elders threads like this are very necessary

Biko Ndi'Igbo ekwela ka Omenala anyi na asusu anyi laba n'ime mmiri....we have a duty to keep our history evergreen

To the bloody hypocrites that are coming here to derail the thread, nobody is dragging Jesus with you, this is history and education not a chest beating contest...i am sure 90% of you shouting Jesus here now if una jam ISIS una go recite Quran finish

In-fact i suggest a season film on our deities should be started, i believe the stories will make a block buster and go platinum...we have a lot of stories to tell
If executed properly, it would make sense but Nollywood and 1 week productions in Asaba are like thread and needle...

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 5:40am On Apr 05, 2017
FakoMaybach1:

Well said bro
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Akwaudene87(m): 5:50am On Apr 05, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Or guardian angel. What Edo people call Ehi

But OP, who is strongest between Chukwu and Ani ,and which is first in existence?
chukwu
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 8:09am On Apr 05, 2017
obaataaokpaewu:
I just sent you a pm, please acknowledge.

Yagazie
Just saw this,I can't see your pm bro,but it is acknowledged.
Udo, and a great day at work.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 8:13am On Apr 05, 2017
obaataaokpaewu:
I just sent you a pm, please acknowledge.

Yagazie
Acknowledged ,may your coasts be enriched nwanne.

Udo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Turks: 9:13am On Apr 05, 2017
And Thor is the god of what? grass?
victorazy:

Amadioha is god of thunder not hammer whielder.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by victorazy(m): 11:34am On Apr 05, 2017
Turks:
And Thor is the god of what? grass?

Figur it out bro
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Omoluabi16(m): 12:10pm On Apr 05, 2017
NwaforIgbo:

Sorry i am still serching for it, like i said Kanu made the statement, when he comes out, i would ask him.
saboteur
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Omoluabi16(m): 12:14pm On Apr 05, 2017
cheruv:

Uvru ufe undecided
sabo
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by cheruv: 2:32pm On Apr 05, 2017
Omoluabi16:
sabo
I vu atru!
Onye wu sabo? undecided
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Omoluabi16(m): 2:38pm On Apr 05, 2017
cheruv:

I vu atru!
Onye wu sabo? undecided
onye aturu. mechonu

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by sonmvayina(m): 5:50pm On Apr 05, 2017
realmindz:

You got it rly wrong, Eledumare is not Osanobua nor Odin. It is a misnomer to make that claim.

All cultures have their gods and stories behind them, it would be lazy to make a conclusion that they are all same.

One thing that is evident is that the whites rebranded the jewish version and sold the Jewish myths to the rest of the world.

Noah's ark or Adams apple were never part of Africa, same as Eledumare and yemoja never part of jewish myths...so why should we conclude that Eledumare, Abassi and the rest suddenly were same as the Jewish version?

Or why not the other way round? Ifa should be sold to the whites as tbe universal god and they should come to Ife for Holy pilgrimage

you obviously did not read to comprehend my post,different story same message....the Noah story is basically to teach you the truth that the God that creates is the same God that destroys too..not two, but one..we also have a story in our traditional religion telling us the same message. one God that has the power to create and destroy....the Adam story too is about knowing what is good but choosing to don the opposite..we also have that in our own mythology about Ogun and oromila, different story but same message....you wont expect the Yoruba and the Jews or the Egyptian to have the same name for their Gods...

http://www.dummies.com/education/history/world-history/gods-and-goddesses-of-greek-and-roman-mythology/

that is just for the Greeks and roman...you dont expect them to have same name in Yoruba or Ibo or Benin tradition..they are all same God different names and different esoteric stories but always same message...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yoruba_deities
that is the yoruba equivalent...compare...
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2017
Omoluabi16:
onye aturu. mechonu
Which kind crooked igbo be this? You are clearly not igbo.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Omoluabi16(m): 7:41pm On Apr 05, 2017
marshborn:

Which kind crooked igbo be this? You are clearly not igbo.
I am. Can't write in it.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by SilvanusII(m): 12:39pm On Apr 07, 2017
obiezed:

Actually igwekali is considered to be the husband of Ala,Amadioha became popular with the rise of the power and influence of the shrine in Ozuzu in etche.and igwekali is nowadays mostly known by those who have studied Odinani..
Igwe is still the word used to the heavens as opposed to the earth,if the sky don't rain ,the earth will not produce.
Amadioha his brother is more correctly described as a thunder god,a god of War and retribution. A defender of the weak and hopeless,this is what omenala teaches.
Yagazie.

I am seeing similarities between Sango and his brother Dada who was a king ('Igwe' anyone?) here. We've got a yoruba expression 'Dada cannot fight, but he's got a brother who defends him'
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Dhugal: 4:45pm On Apr 07, 2017
SilvanusII:

I am seeing similarities between Sango and his brother Dada who was a king ('Igwe' anyone?) here. We've got a yoruba expression 'Dada cannot fight, but he's got a brother who defends him'
So the airhead finally learnt something that made sense in school.
Thank God o
BTW,when did Ajaka become known as Dada?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by SilvanusII(m): 8:08pm On Apr 07, 2017
Dhugal:

So the airhead finally learnt something that made sense in school.
Thank God o
BTW,when did Ajaka become known as Dada?

If only u mattered in the general scheme of things. Sadly u don't. I mean, I don't even know you. But you must be pretty daft to think having more than name started with ur generation. Ajaka carried dreadlocks and became a 'dada' by default (oruko amutorunwa). Don't be touting ur ignorance.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Dhugal: 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2017
SilvanusII:

If only u mattered in the general scheme of things. Sadly u don't. I mean, I don't even know you. But you must be pretty daft to think having more than name started with ur generation. Ajaka carried dreadlocks and became a 'dada' by default (oruko amutorunwa). Don't be touting ur ignorance.
I expected you to live up to your post history as an uncouth fellow and you didn't disappoint.
Indeed,Ajaka "carried dreadlocks" and Sango was born with shuku.
Who's made-up history have you been reading/listening to?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by SilvanusII(m): 9:27pm On Apr 07, 2017
Dhugal:

I expected you to live up to your post history as an uncouth fellow and you didn't disappoint.
Indeed,Ajaka "carried dreadlocks" and Sango was born with shuku.
Who's made-up history have you been reading/listening to?

LMAO!!! Our resident stalker from KD. I find you here, living up to your name as jobless, obsessed and amusingly uninformed. Why not spend all that time u monitor ur betters with being actually productive, like actually READING?

http://www.behindthename.com/name/dada/comments/history

http://dailymail.com.ng/history-reigns-alaafins-oyo/

http://ooduarere.com/news-from-nigeria/breaking-news/the-alaafin-of-oyo-iku-baba-yeye-alase-keji-orisa/2/
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Dhugal: 9:57pm On Apr 08, 2017
SilvanusII:

LMAO!!! Our resident stalker from KD. I find you here, living up to your name as jobless, obsessed and amusingly uninformed. Why not spend all that time u monitor ur betters with being actually productive, like actually READING?

http://www.behindthename.com/name/dada/comments/history

http://dailymail.com.ng/history-reigns-alaafins-oyo/

http://ooduarere.com/news-from-nigeria/breaking-news/the-alaafin-of-oyo-iku-baba-yeye-alase-keji-orisa/2/
Stalker from where?.
Are you smoking wet weed or something?.
I asked you what version of history you've been reading and you supply me with unreliable sites?.
daily mail.com.ng,ooduarere.com?.WTH are those?.
If this is a measure of your education,then I'm afraid you got cheated.See if you can gain what fees you paid for it back.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Abagworo(m): 10:08am On Apr 09, 2017
obiezed:

Please stop spreading misinformation by bending half truths,the worship a and belief in chukwu okike abiama spread thru out Igboland to other ethnicities. So much so,that he was regarded by all to be the all mighty creator,the great faceless formless spirit,though he is often described as male,the one belief is synonymous everywhere Igbo is spoken or understood.
That why the easiest way to get to interpret the Christian God to igbos was to use words and concepts they already understood.
Historically,the shrine existed in many communities as a dedication to him,but the main one was at Arochukwu (lLong Juju).people deferred to it as a sort of traditional Supreme Court whose judgement was final.
Also the Aros did not establish the Amadioha at Ozuzu or the Igwekali at Isu..please stop bending the truth,
Yagazie

Many of you write without knowledge. Igbos called God different names at the periphery but Orisa/Olisa was the name of the supreme God until Aros came with Chukwu.

Who established Amadioha and Igwekana if not Aros?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Abagworo(m): 10:25am On Apr 09, 2017
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by KemjikaEme: 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2018
Abagworo:

Many of you write without knowledge. Igbos called God different names at the periphery but Orisa/Olisa was the name of the supreme God until Aros came with Chukwu.

Who established Amadioha and Igwekana if not Aros?
Common sense should tell any good igbo scholar that Olisa is a variant word for Orisha most common amongst igbos located in close proximity to Benin and Yoruba.
The concept of a Supreme Being known as Chineke, Ekekereuwa and Chukwu Okike has always existed amongst the Igbos.
With the rise of Aro hegemony,an oracular shrine of Chukwu was built and served in various capacities including being used to deceive unsuspecting people who were then sold into slavery.
Christianity only pushed the religious propaganda that Chineke or Chukwu as the only God that deserve human worship while succeeding to totally obliterate the existence,importance and worship of the lesser deities and spirits of Igboland. In other words, christian missionaries imposed the idea of Chineke/Chukwu/Olisa or whatever people call him as the one and only true God while other gods were treated as mere idols.
That being said, the concept and belief in a supreme being such as Chineke , Olisa etc is as old as Igbo land. It never started in Aro. History revisionism is crazy!
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 01, 2019
A good lawyer knows the law; a clever one takes the judge to lunch.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by 123papas(m): 6:33pm On Jun 30, 2020
The boy idol in the second picture is wearing shirt smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oba Of Ewuare Of Benin Visits Edo Indigenes In Rivers State / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.