Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Nigerian Expats Decry Attempt To Blast Us Airliner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Expats Decry Attempt To Blast Us Airliner (842 Views)

Abuja Natives Decry Omission From Ministerial List / Security Agencies Foil Attempt to Free Boko Haram Detainees In Lokoja / Govs Decry Harassment Of Gov Amaechi By The Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Expats Decry Attempt To Blast Us Airliner by vikiviko(m): 6:15pm On Dec 28, 2009
Nigerian expatriates in Doha have condemned the attempt to blow up a Northwest Airlines plane as it prepared to land in Detroit on Christmas Day.

They are especially pained that the man suspected to be involved is a fellow Nigerian Umar Farouk Muttalab, the son of one of country’s top bankers.

Nigerians here have joined their government and their countrymen back home in condemned the acts.

Qatar Tribune’s Ikoli Victor spoke with Nigerian residents in Doha. Excerpts:

YUSUF IBRAHIM Nigerian IT Professional “I am totally against any form of terrorist act.

My only consolation here is that more and more Nigerians are coming out in large numbers, as evident from the posting on the internet, to condemn this barbaric and wicked act.

I do not recollect having read about people of other nations, particularly Muslim ones, whose nationals have been accused of terrorist acts, coming out in public or otherwise to condemn the acts.

As a Muslim I know Islam does not support acts of terrorism.

I also don’t believe all Americans, or any right thinking person for that matter, would assume that all 150 million Nigerians are terrorists.

CHUCKS INNOCENT Nigerian expatriate “This is not only bad morally but also because it would shift the glare of the World on Nigeria.

Nigerians will now be subjected to thorough profiling at international airports worldwide.

The already dented image has been further affected; the act is un-Nigerian and must be accordingly dealt with.

An unanswered question is if truly the father made a call on US embassy to monitor the son’s tendencies, how did he fly from Lagos and Amsterdam? I think the security lapses at our airports are becoming too obvious”.

OLUSEGUN TAIWO Nigerian Engineer “First and foremost, this attack has nothing to do with the Government of Nigeria; secondly no suicide bomber is from a wealthy home.

The International media should be responsible and reasonable in reporting its commentaries on this issue as investigations are ongoing.

However Nigerians are not known for terrorist acts so it’s a case that must be thoroughly investigated.”

BAYO ANJORIN Nigerian Health Safety Officer Its unfortunate that acts of terror are perpetuated with the aim of destroying lives and properties, in this case I condemn the act and feel troubled why a Nigerian is involved, the home-grown fundamentalist extremism in northern Nigeria should be checked bearing in my mind that al Qaeda and like-organisations that are part of the syndicate of terror would seek a foothold anywhere they could find one.

The federal government should top up security checks at our airports and improve on new means of security.

ADE AJAYI Nigerian Quantity Surveyor We are embarrassed by this incident and we strongly condemn the alleged action by this young man, but it should be seen as isolated incident.

I don’t think we have organised Islamist militants in Nigeria who are inclined to such a criminal and violent act.

We condemn such as acts of extremism and actions.

http://www.qatar-tribune.com/data/20091228/content.asp?section=nation1_5

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think Umar's Attempt To Bomb A Plane Is A Result Of His Upbringing / Churches Attacked In Malaysian ‘allah’ Dispute / Yaradua Getting Better, Begins Daily Exercise - Aliero

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.