Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains (22818 Views)

Im Dying Of Menstrual Pain / How To Treat Stomach Ache, Typhoid Fever, Menstrual Pains / My Sister Died Of Menstrual Pain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 08, 2017
The information provided is not intended to replace the medical advice of your healthcare provider. You are advised to consult a qualified healthcare provider for advice about a specific medical condition.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, dysmenorrhea is a word used to describe painful menstruation. It is also known as painful periods, or menstrual cramps. The pain occurs during menstruation.

Now what is menstruation itself?
Menstruation is a discharging of blood, secretions, and tissue debris from the uterus that recurs in non pregnant breeding-age females at approximately monthly intervals and that is considered to represent a readjustment of the uterus to the non pregnant state following proliferative changes accompanying the preceding ovulation.

Categories of Dysmenorrhea

Primary dysmenorrhea occurs in the absence of pelvic pathology. Pelvic pathology is an inflammatory disease (PID), general acute inflammation of the pelvic cavity in women, caused by bacterial infection of the cervix, uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes. It is an STD.

Primary dysmenorrhea is more common than the secondary form. The pain experienced results from contractions of the uterine walls, and ischaemia. The ischaemia is probably mediated by prostaglandins such as F2a which is a vasoconstrictor (an agent that induces or initiates vasoconstriction), and other inflammatory mediators.

The pain usually begins 1 or 2days before, or when menstrual bleeding starts. Pain is felt in the thighs, back and the lower abdomen. There is also a feeling of pressure in the abdomen. In some females, the dysmenorrhea is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and fatigue.

Primary dysmenorrhea occurs almost consistently in ovulatory cycles. The pain is spasmodic, which means it happens suddenly and briefly at different times in an irregular way.

Factors that contribute to the primary form of dysmenorrhea include;

Anxiety about menses
Lack of exercise
Passage of menstrual tissue through the cervix
A Mal-positioned uterus

Symptoms tend to lessen with age and after pregnancy.

Secondary dysmenorrhea is causes by a disorder in the reproductive organs. Infections, uterine fibroids, adenomyosis and endometriosis are examples of such disorders. The most common cause is endometriosis (a condition resulting from the appearance of endometrial tissue outside the uterus and causing pelvic pain, especially associated with menstruation). To some extent, elevated prostaglandins play a role in secondary dysmenorrhea.

Risk factors for secondary dysmenorrhea include the following:

Endometriosis
Ovarian torsion
Pelvic inflammatory disease
Fibroids
Tubo-ovarian abscess.

Secondary dysmenorrhea is suspected if

Symptoms begin after adolesence
Patients have known causes such as those listed above

General measures

Symptomatic treatment begins with adequate rest and sleep and regular exercise. Diet low in fat is suggested as potentially effective. Nutritional supplements such as flaxseed, magnesium, vitamin E, zinc and vitamin B, are also recommended.

If pain persists, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are typically tried UPON RECOMMENDATION BY YOUR PHYSICIAN. NSAIDs relieve pain and inhibit prostaglandins.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by ademoladeji(m): 12:23am On Apr 09, 2017
cc

Ishilove

Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 09, 2017
ademoladeji:
cc

Ishilove

Mynd44
Lol. I do hope they will do the needful
Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by ademoladeji(m): 2:01pm On Apr 09, 2017
MasterRahl:
Lol. I do hope they will do the needful

Try to paste the source of this information

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by lampard01(m): 2:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
nyama

In another news
This guy wicked o

6 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
Problem women face

2 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Naughtytboy: 2:25pm On Apr 09, 2017
Girls dey try,, Dsts why i will love and pet my gf like no other

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Naughtytboy: 2:27pm On Apr 09, 2017
lampard01:
nyama

In another news
This guy wicked o
bb Naija don wash ur sense troway

6 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by BarakOkenny(m): 2:27pm On Apr 09, 2017
Nairaland for the girls o. HYPERTEKI. grin
Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by prinsam30: 2:27pm On Apr 09, 2017
can men too menstruate

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Holatunde007(m): 2:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
Ok

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Sammypedro18(m): 2:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
Never easy been a woman,with all we re facing in d country...ur body will be giving yu its own headache every month. I hail all d women

4 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by ephi123(f): 2:28pm On Apr 09, 2017
Spinach spinach spinach is the answer (for primary dysmenorrhea). Lots of vegetables during the period makes a huge difference.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Why not post the source?

2 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by peacettw: 2:29pm On Apr 09, 2017
Thinking back now, I still can't believe I let my body go through that pain without analgesics having presumed wrongly that the drugs will affect my fertility. Suffice it yo say, after my first child was born, the pain stopped. So, it's all good

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by RoyalBlak007: 2:30pm On Apr 09, 2017
ephi123:
Spinach spinach spinach is the answer. Lots of vegetables during the period.

♤does what?

♤ease cramps?

2 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Kaybaba5(m): 2:30pm On Apr 09, 2017
Menstrual pain is not a good thing for girls and people say anytime they give birth the pain will stop.. How true is this
Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by soberdrunk(m): 2:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
Kai!! This thread just made me Nostalgic, i remember what i went through with my Ex who goes through 'very' painful menstruation, whenever her period is approaching i start preparing myself 'mentally' and 'physically'. A big shout out to all Romantic men, we are the real MVPS!!----- I pack vomit tire, visit pharmacy tire, had like 8 hot water bottles(even one inside car) for the 5days of her period my emotions didnt matter, everything was about her, whatever she wanted to do, watch, eat, drink, the petting was out of this world!!............... angry

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Stanbeto: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
Woman dey try o
Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
Period pain is no joke. :' (
Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
Great article.. Thumbs up!

My 6 wives have attained menopause so I don't need it.

BUT young ladies would find it useful.

3 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by ladyF(f): 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2017
Thank God for Felvin grin

Make i go continue my search for bitcoin... Sell to me biko... N380/$

It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 09, 2017
Op should have at least defined dysmenorrhea. Anyways, simple definition is menstrual pain.
Let me add from practical experience :
In this generation, the most implicated cause of menstrual pain is LIFESTYLE. Yes, over indulgence in fast foods which apparently contain alot of sugar is the short cut to having it rough for the few days ur menses would flow.
Ladies would do well to cut down on the carbs, carbonated drinks and all those junks.
I should also add that it bemuses me when ladies decline taking medications esp for severe MP. I'm like WTF, would you rather suffer in pain?
Last last, big ups to the ladies out there, mehn it's not an easy something oooooo. Small stomach pain and I'd be whining like fish, y'all are delicately made of steel.

4 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by lampard01(m): 2:33pm On Apr 09, 2017
Naughtytboy:
bb Naija don wash ur sense troway

He be like say craze dey worry you
Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by RealHaute: 2:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
Chai! Women dey try. That's why I always ask for their account details and send them millions of naira in my dreams. cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 09, 2017
We deserve a special day off for this.......at least it should be treated as a normal sickness.

3 Likes

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2017
jagugu88li:
We deserve a special day off for this

Agreed...

Can we also have a day off to soften early morning wood?

Women actually suffer so much. Pain of deflowering. Menses. Labour. Then menopause... I salute them!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nickizoe(f): 2:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
ephi123:
Spinach spinach spinach is the answer (for primary dysmenorrhea). Lots of vegetables during the period makes a huge difference.
fresh Ginger tea helps too...

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 09, 2017
Seriously it's not easy......tho I get this stomach pain only on the first day of my period....but the pain I go through during ovulation is terrifying embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Dysmenorrhea - The ABC Of Menstrual Pains by Sgwash: 2:40pm On Apr 09, 2017
Kaybaba5:
Menstrual pain is not a good thing for girls and people say anytime they give birth the pain will stop.. How true is this
To an extent, it is true...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2 Year Old Indian Girl Born With Four Legs And Four Hands / What Tips Do You Have To A Flatter Tummy? / A Course Not Found In The Curriculum:They Ruined Our Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.