Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria (39916 Views)

10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Kx: 11:23am On Jan 20, 2010
talking about snaky myths,
In my place,somewhere in d naija delta,
they bury snakes separately from its head,till date.

i dont know why.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Jaylone(m): 12:38pm On Jan 20, 2010
Some of the myths were told to the children to stop them from doing some undesirable things like whistling, shouting, calling names at night. Some other ones were nothing more than natural like snakes python not hurting anyone. But then some are sort of voodoo or what may be termed witchcraft.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Carlosein(m): 1:58pm On Jan 20, 2010
this topic is just killing me with laffta!

who knows this one: if you want to see spirits live, go to (pre fashola) oshodi at night.
throw something on the floor then bend to pick it. while you're at it, look between your legs at people and you'd see the ghosts and spirits floating along without touching the ground.

but if them catch you and slap you, omo you don deaf for life be dat o! grin

i tried it sometime but will refrain from telling what i saw. go do ya own to find out grin grin grin
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Ultrame(m): 2:17pm On Jan 20, 2010
Carlosein:

this topic is just killing me with laffta!

who knows this one: if you want to see spirits live, go to (pre fashola) oshodi at night.
throw something on the floor then bend to pick it. while you're at it, look between your legs at people and you'd see the ghosts and spirits floating along without touching the ground.

but if them catch you and slap you, omo you don deaf for life be dat o! grin

i tried it sometime but will refrain from telling what i saw. go do ya own to find out grin grin grin

I guess you saw an area boy comin 4 ur (bent) a.ss.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by ilosiwaju: 2:46pm On Jan 20, 2010
It's a miracle some people comply to these myths.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Rmc1(m): 4:11pm On Jan 20, 2010
I remember a myth that went around during my secondary school days that if you bend down in the middle of the market square and look between your legs, you will see spirits shocked we really believed all that crap then grin cheesy
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by KMTee(f): 4:48pm On Jan 20, 2010
A pregnant woman must not walk in d afternoon without pin in her tommy,if she doesn't comply the baby in her womb will change to monster
if u nail d ground while dogs are mating, they will stick 2geda
it is believed that there is a woman carrying a baby and cutting firewood in a full moon,
there is a particular knee-wound in which u knee down to greet the dirt park before it gets healed (kunlekaatan) in yoruba.
in fed sec schs, there is dis sisi kokoka and blackman that disturbs female students and sometimes take away menstrual pads from their pants at night
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Tsiya(m): 11:06pm On Jan 20, 2010
@Indian Football

About that Indian thing, I just called my brothers both in their early teens and I was suprise that belief in that thing. Each of them have his own version. I wonder how such stories got passed from one generation to another.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Carlosein(m): 9:51am On Jan 21, 2010
^^^ it's called power of oral tradition.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by rabzy: 10:25am On Jan 21, 2010
We also have a river in my place (ukhun in esan, edo state) where it is forbidden to fish, i actually went there when i was small and the fishes just swim around us, My mom said she knows some people who actually killed some of these fishes and their nose rotted,

I personally beleive those things happen to those who let others know about it, once it is known, the custodians of those occults and shrines make sure something happens to the person,

Have u guys also heard about the thunder balogun's bet with his younger brother who was said to be a very good goalkeeper. the myth was that thunder balogun said he was going to score 5 penalties against his brother and they had a bet on it,

He lost the first 4 penalties, but for the last one he took the bet with his house and wife, and as he was running to take the penalty, he kept screaming, my wife, my wife, my wife,

he took the shot and his brother caught it, but the shot tore his brother's stomach and entered the net,

Thats one of the craziest stories i have ever heard, but we loved telling it in primary school, created a lot of fun for us, including the indian 100 0 match,
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Kx: 10:56am On Jan 21, 2010
Doing jiggy jiggy in the car knocks the car's engine. Proven to be absolutely false.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Amjustme: 11:02am On Jan 21, 2010
1) Dont sweep at night else ur sweeping away ur blessings
2) Dont cross over the legs of a pregnant woman else her baby will luk like u
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by 9jatitan(m): 3:51pm On Jan 21, 2010
Wat a topic, @ Poster u try, haha, readin all this just brought a load of meriories, is it the football with d indian or d ''Tunder balogun penalty wit his brother, or the fishes lol, this is one of the best treads have come about on this site, for the simple fact that it was fun to read, and all those who took time to contribute , thanks for the road thru memory lane, i almost forgot some of those myths, smiley
[b][/b]And to all the pple who probaly misunderstood the posters idea of sharing myths, he did say share a myth u believed , he just said to share the myths that are common to ur place so stop being so obnoxious that its because of the myths that 9ja is in the state its in, To me it was really fun readin thru and trust me i read every comment,
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by queenesthr(f): 5:46pm On Jan 21, 2010
If you make love in the afternoon, you conceive an albino baby.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by nich(m): 7:24pm On Jan 21, 2010
dont whistle @ night. else you'd invite snakes. tongue
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Em2va: 10:06pm On Jan 21, 2010
In the South Eastern part of Nigeria you dare not use brooms to flog anyone particularly a child! You could
cause madness on such a child!
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by DAVE5(m): 10:17pm On Jan 21, 2010
1. a man does not cook his food with knife   2. U dont beat anyone with a broom  3. dont pack gathered dirts with ur bare hands cos u no go fit get money or money no go stay ur hand.  4.If u can get the mat of a bush baby you become rich.  5. If hiv/aids patient sleeps with a virgin he becomes healed. but y is that these myths are things u wouldnt do normally it doesnt mean u should try ur luck
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by DAVE5(m): 10:25pm On Jan 21, 2010
@carlosein u saw g-string right.hahaha grin
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Kx: 9:18am On Jan 22, 2010
D.A.V.E:

If hiv/aids patient sleeps with a virgin he becomes healed.

Can that be a myth?
which day hiv/aids enter our land?
i know my gran papa in the village will call this one a white lie
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by SmashingM(f): 9:42am On Jan 22, 2010
KMTee:

A pregnant woman must not walk in d afternoon without pin in her tommy,if she doesn't comply the baby in her womb will change to monster
if u nail d ground while dogs are mating, they will stick 2geda
it is believed that there is a woman carrying a baby and cutting firewood in a full moon,
there is a particular knee-wound in which u knee down to greet the dirt park before it gets healed (kunlekaatan) in yoruba.
in fed sec schs, there is dis sisi kokoka and blackman that disturbs female students and sometimes take away menstrual pads from their pants at night

I heard the bolded part too.

In my community there is a belief that a certain sickness called "okporoti" in my native tongue can only be cured if you stand in a waste dumb to eat cocoa yam.

Also if you fall inside a pit toilet, you can only live if you go round a market square announcing that you fell into a pit toilet.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by queenesthr(f): 2:55pm On Jan 22, 2010
If your right hand cannot reach over your head to touch your left ear, you are not old enough to start school.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 2:00am On Jan 23, 2010
I CAN ONLY READ AND LAUGH grin
WE'VE BEEN FOOLED WHILE GROWING UP LOL.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by emmydee(m): 11:09pm On Mar 13, 2010
always wear condom
otherwise u catch it!
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by totorimi: 4:11am On Dec 28, 2011
In Iboland, if a madman enters the market the madness can never be cured, so if some dude is just starting off to show signs of madness everybody runs after him to stop the kolo guy from entering the market square.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by odumchi: 4:44am On Dec 28, 2011
Where I come from, you can't whistle at night nor can you click your tongue with the inside of your bottom lip lest you invite snakes. Also, you can't pay debts at night or look into a mirror at night.

And also if you hear someone calling your name but no one actually was, you have to say "spirits don't call me, humans call me"
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 6:42am On Dec 29, 2011
^yeah right, I also remember the warning of never to respond to a call @ night until you see the face of the caller even if the voice sounds like ya mommas own.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by LogicMind: 12:44pm On Jan 04, 2012
-Mum recently told me not to answer my phone if I don't know the number that is calling as they can take my spirit through my voice.
-In the east, we were told that Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was an illiterate. He wasn't. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twfjk3hoA4
-That Zik had supernatural Powers
-That you must throw some food or wine on the floor before eating or drinking. Those are for your ancestors.
-Corpses are always moved head first. That if a corpse is put leg first in an ambulance, the car will not start or break down.
-Swearing with a car engine. If you lied, you will have a car accident.
-Never directly answer if your name is called and you can't see the person calling. Instead ask "who is it"?
-Never to lie while holding an "ofor" branch or stick. (ofor is a local tree)
-That you can curse someone who has offended you with an ofor stick and as long as your hands are clean, your curse will come true.
-That touching a python will stop bedwetting.
-That putting palm wine on the floor makes it go sour immediately. Maybe true but I haven't tried it yet. Didn't want to take the risk. Palmwine too expensive.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by odumchi: 1:25pm On Jan 04, 2012
ifyalways:

^yeah right, I also remember the warning of never to respond to a call @ night until you see the face of the caller even if the voice sounds like ya mommas own.

Lol the good old days.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:59pm On Jan 04, 2012
Kx:

talking about snaky myths,
In my place,somewhere in d naija delta,
they bury snakes separately from its head,till date.

i dont know why.

yes yes. but in my place we are forbidden to kill snakes.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by odumchi: 9:38pm On Jan 04, 2012
PAGAN  9JA:

yes yes. but in my place we are forbidden to kill snakes.

Why? So what if a snake crawled into someone's house?
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:52pm On Jan 04, 2012
odumchi:

Why? So what if a snake crawled into someone's house?

then you take it with a stick and put it out or somewhere far away in a bag. snakes do not bite humans unless harmed or felt threatened. there is no point in killing it if you already know it is there in your home. that is senseless.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by odumchi: 3:09am On Jan 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

then you take it with a stick and put it out or somewhere far away in a bag. snakes do not bite humans unless harmed or felt threatened. there is no point in killing it if you already know it is there in your home. that is senseless.

Wow, very interesting. Where I come from, you'll be praised for killing a snake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Ooni Of Ife, Ogundamisi, Participating In The Oshoosi Festival (photos) / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.