Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria (39917 Views)

10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by amor4ce(m): 3:33am On Jan 05, 2012
What of big snakes?
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:20am On Jan 05, 2012
there are two kind of snake: venomous and non-venomous.

venomous are easier to handle, but their poison is fatal. in such case you must use a stick and try to put it in a bag or try to get your hand behind its head, just above the fangs, while using the stick to distract it.

the big snakes which you talk about are like pythons, etc. these are not poisonous and do not kill humans. however children must be careful. In my village, i have seen many rock python in the area. they generally go away and are slow. the only problem is that they are very heavy. sometimes, we even give it a baby goat. it is considered good to give offering to the animal. at the same time, the snake becomes lazy after eating the goat and falls as sleep. then all we have to do is to lift it and put it somwhere away srom the settlement in the bush. it will then not wake up for weeks.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by LogicMind: 11:05am On Jan 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

there are two kind of snake: venomous and non-venomous.

venomous are easier to handle, but their poison is fatal. in such case you must use a stick and try to put it in a bag or try to get your hand behind its head, just above the fangs, while using the stick to distract it.

the big snakes which you talk about are like pythons, etc. these are not poisonous and do not kill humans. however children must be careful. In my village, i have seen many rock python in the area. they generally go away and are slow. the only problem is that they are very heavy. sometimes, we even give it a baby goat. it is considered good to give offering to the animal. at the same time, the snake becomes lazy after eating the goat and falls as sleep. then all we have to do is to lift it and put it somwhere away srom the settlement in the bush. it will then not wake up for weeks.

Poor goat
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2012
yes but that is the cycle of life. dont you eat goat?
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Dooyboy(m): 9:38am On Mar 14, 2012
There is a place on Mkar hills in Gboko Benue state where there is a white calabash wit clean water,it is believed to quench your thirst and hunger when you drink from it. The bad thing is when you waste it the gods 'll be angry wit you.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Ptolomeus(m): 10:18pm On Mar 15, 2012
Excellent thread!
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Booshman(m): 5:19am On Mar 17, 2012
Dooyboy: There is a place on Mkar hills in Gboko Benue state where there is a white calabash wit clean water,it is believed to quench your thirst and hunger when you drink from it. The bad thing is when you waste it the gods 'll be angry wit you.

Does this Calabash go by any special name?
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:32pm On Mar 18, 2012
@tomX:
In some parts of Nigeria, you are only allowed to walk into a room where someone died, backwards. This is supposed to give the spirits hovering in the room ample time to vanish (or something like that). Violators risk getting slapped by an angry spirit.

Funeral + Coronation In Idoma land, the king (Och'Idoma) is not meant to be mourned when he dies so his funeral is held at the sametime as his coronation.

In Anambra some masqurade do that when a strong herbalist dies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:37pm On Mar 18, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes yes. but in my place we are forbidden to kill snakes.
we dont kill pytons in Idenmili but we kill poisnous snakes.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Ptolomeus(m): 2:28am On Mar 19, 2012
NRI PRIEST:
we dont kill pytons in Idenmili but we kill poisnous snakes.

Dear friend ...
Your post made ​​me think my somewhat off topic ...
I understand what you do with snakes, is part of the tradition, and has a background ecological, cultural and even religious.
Amazingly, the man really live in harmony with their environment ...
For Westerners it is very difficult to understand that if you kill all snakes upset the balance and the disaster may be greater ...
His speech is very interesting, going far beyond the anecdotal.
Thank you!
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Abrahamweb(m): 12:34pm On Oct 03, 2012
some guys take western culture seriously that they forgot we had culture b4 the coming of the white,such people make me sick,just becos we share their culture does not mean we abandon ours.that is why ours girls are walking around half nakedd,imagine that.my parents use to tell me about the good old days,where you donts see ur wife b4 the marriage and the marriage lasted and blossomed with love,but now what do we have? LOVE,that ruin peoples life,premature pregnancy,abortion.in those days they feared the conciquencies of every action they take for fear of reproach.i think christianity and islam should not have happened in nigeria,then we would have been stuck to our old values.
Development is not when girls go naked all in the name of fashion,politicians steal from the people they are sworn to protect.they say is a selected few that dress naked,but what about the corruption,stealing,looting,killing.
Our culture forbade fornication,stealing,but the white condone it,all in the name of development.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by Abrahamweb(m): 12:37pm On Oct 03, 2012
some guys take western culture seriously that they forgot we had culture b4 the coming of the white,such people make me sick,just becos we share their culture does not mean we abandon ours.that is why ours girls are walking around half nakedd.imagine that,my parents use to tell me about the good old days,where you donts see ur wife b4 the marriage and the marriage lasted and blossomed with love,but now what do we have? LOVE,that ruin peoples life,premature pregnancy,abortion.in those days they feared the conciquencies of every action they take for fear of reproach.i think christianity and islam should not have happened in nigeria,then we would have been stuck to our old values.
Development is not when girls go nakedd all in the name of fashion,politicians steal from the people they are sworn to protect.they say is a selected few that dress naked,but what about the corruption,stealing,looting,killing.
Our culture forbade fornication,stealing,but the white condone it,all in the name of development.
Re: Cultural Myths From Around Nigeria by chidiig: 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2013
Hi Guys, are people known to appear and disappear in Nigeria? Does anyone know how many occultism groups are in nigeria and how do they operate. thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Official Ika Thread.(agbor,umunede,owa.etc) Alua Ni / Ooni Of Ife, Ogundamisi, Participating In The Oshoosi Festival (photos) / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.