Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Is Sunday Really Sacred? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sunday Really Sacred? (3820 Views)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? / Three Sacred Things We Christians Abuse. / Today Is Sunday: How Do We Worship God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 11:21pm On Apr 15, 2017
DoctorAlien:
“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change [Saturday Sabbath to Sunday] was her act... And the act is a mark of her ecclesiastical authority in religious things” (H.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons).

“Sunday is our mark of authority… the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact” (Catholic Record of London, Ontario Sept 1, 1923).

Syncan, what do you have to say?

Yes. The Authority of the church with she removed the burden of circumcision on gentiles, is same authority she used in establishing the Lord's day as the day of worship, same authority by which she removed the book of Barnabas from what you now call the bible. Note that the Sunday worship synod was held before the synod that gave the present bible you now hold supreme.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 11:28pm On Apr 15, 2017
DoctorAlien:
In the Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, we read: Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Q. Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea, (AD 336) transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday….
Q. Why did the Catholic Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday, because Christ rose from the dead on a Sunday, and the Holy Ghost descended upon the Apostles on a Sunday.
Q. By what authority did the
Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday by the plenitude of that divine power which Jesus Christ bestowed upon her!
—Rev. Peter Geiermann,
C.SS.R., (1946), p. 50.

Correct! Council of laodicea (363 AD), was held before council of Carthage (397 AD) which made only these collection of books the ones you call the bible. So if they were wrong at 363 AD, You think they became right at 397 AD ?

However note that, the council only made an official declaration on a practice that has been handed over to them by their fathers of faith, as can be seen in earlier writings.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 11:33pm On Apr 15, 2017
DoctorAlien:
James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore (1877-1921), in a signed letter.

"Is Saturday the seventh day according to the Bible and the Ten Commandments? I answer yes. Is Sunday the first day of the week and did the Church change the seventh day -Saturday - for Sunday, the first day? I answer yes . Did Christ change the day'? I answer no!

"Faithfully yours, J. Card. Gibbons"

Same way Gibbons will still write thus:

Is circumcision a sign demanded by God on His people? I answer yes. Did the church change this and say it wasn't neccesary? I answer Yes. Did Christ change it? I answer No.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:34pm On Apr 15, 2017
Syncan:

Correct! Council of laodicea (363 AD), was held before council of Carthage (397 AD) which made only these collection of books the ones you call the bible. So if they were wrong at 363 AD, You think they became right at 397 AD ?

However note that, the council only made an official declaration on a practice that has been handed over to them by their fathers of faith, as can be seen in earlier writings.

The catholic church didn't write the Bible. They just collected the books written by inspired men of GOD together. And even if they did not collect them together, the Scriptures would somehow still be available to the people of GOD. So, we didn't accept the books of the Bible because the catholic church prescribed them: we accepted them because we know their authors were inspired by GOD(2 Tim. 3:16).
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 7:33am On Apr 16, 2017
DoctorAlien:

The catholic church didn't write the Bible. They just collected the books written by inspired men of GOD together. And even if they did not collect them together, the Scriptures would somehow still be available to the people of GOD. So, we didn't accept the books of the Bible because the catholic church prescribed them: we accepted them because we know their authors were inspired by GOD(2 Tim. 3:16).

hahaha, don't make me laugh. various books were used at various places in christendom, one of such books was the Epistle of Barnabas, it was used by christians and quoted by some fathers of faith, but the Catholic Church decided not to include it in the Canons in (393-397AD). Where did the Catholic Church get such powers from?

Let me give you a bit of history. When the canons were being collected, one church father Eusebius (C 324) wrote this: "Let there be placed among the spurious works the Acts of Paul, the so-called Shepherd and the Apocalypse of Peter, and besides these the Epistle of Barnabas, and what are called the Teachings of the Apostles, and also the Apocalypse of John, if this be thought proper; for as I wrote before, some reject it, and others place it in the canon."

Did you notice the books he mentioned, these are books used in parts of Christendom as Inspired, some people agree to some and others rejected some. Example is the Acts of paul, which contained the "third epistle of Paul to the Corinthians", this book was accepted as canon in the eastern church (church in syria), another is the apocalypse of John (revelations) which some rejected. As a matter of fact, as early as (287AD), Dionysius, bishop of Alexandria, believed the book of revelations was written by another person probably Cerinthius. So who gave the Catholic Church the Power to pick and choose, finally come out with what you have now ; then Command that you regard the rest as non canons, and why did you accept their decision? Why did you accept that second timothy that you quoted is canon, but third Corinthians is not?
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 8:24am On Apr 16, 2017
analice107:

No, i go to church on sunday. will be in Church tomorrow, why?

Curiosity...just to know how far you've "deviated" from Scripture.

A happy Lord's day to you.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 16, 2017
Syncan:

hahaha, don't make me laugh. various books were used at various places in christendom, one of such books was the Epistle of Barnabas, it was used by christians and quoted by some fathers of faith, but the Catholic Church decided not to include it in the Canons in (393-397AD). Where did the Catholic Church get such powers from?

Let me give you a bit of history. When the canons were being collected, one church father Eusebius (C 324) wrote this: "Let there be placed among the spurious works the Acts of Paul, the so-called Shepherd and the Apocalypse of Peter, and besides these the Epistle of Barnabas, and what are called the Teachings of the Apostles, and also the Apocalypse of John, if this be thought proper; for as I wrote before, some reject it, and others place it in the canon."

Did you notice the books he mentioned, these are books used in parts of Christendom as Inspired, some people agree to some and others rejected some. Example is the Acts of paul, which contained the "third epistle of Paul to the Corinthians", this book was accepted as canon in the eastern church (church in syria), another is the apocalypse of John (revelations) which some rejected. As a matter of fact, as early as (287AD), Dionysius, bishop of Alexandria, believed the book of revelations was written by another person probably Cerinthius. So who gave the Catholic Church the Power to pick and choose, finally come out with what you have now ; then Command that you regard the rest as non canons, and why did you accept their decision? Why did you accept that second timothy that you quoted is canon, but third Corinthians is not?
You are talking Church history to someone whose sect was invented in 19th century America. He will obviously play down the role that the Catholic Church played in canonising Christian scripture because accepting this Catholic authority is damaging to his beliefs. So in a way there is cognitive dissonance going on here.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2017
Papist:

You are talking Church history to someone whose sect was invented in 19th century America. He will obviously play down the role that the Catholic Church played in canonising Christian scripture because accepting this Catholic authority is damaging to his beliefs. So in a way there is cognitive dissonance going on here.

He started it himself, he is asking for the authority of the Church to declare a day as the day of rest, when he didn't ask their authority to declare some books inspired and others not. Let me like the sower cast my seed upon the earth, some may grow a hundred fold, others may be trampled under feet.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by analice107: 2:06pm On Apr 16, 2017
Syncan:

Curiosity...just to know how far you've "deviated" from Scripture.
A happy Lord's day to you.
No sir, still deep in the scripture.

Happy Resurrection.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2017
analice107:

No sir, still deep in the scripture.

Happy Resurrection.

Ah with Sunday worship? ...*in DoctorAlien's voice* You must be joking. cheesy
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by analice107: 4:58pm On Apr 16, 2017
Syncan:

Ah with Sunday worship? ...*in DoctorAlien's voice* You must be joking. cheesy
Hahahahahahha, am i DoctorAlien?
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Splinz(m): 6:29pm On Apr 16, 2017
Syncan:

There is no indication that the apostles continued in the keeping of the Sabbath.

There is, in fact, many. Jesus having kept the Law, of course, the Sabbath inclusive (Matthew 5:17) and left us an example to follow in His steps (1 Peter 2:21), can't be said to have suddenly turned a blind eye to obvious lawlessness of His apostles, the very thing He delivered us from (Titus 2:14). Neither can it be say that an authorization was given by Him to the apostles, citing Matthew 18:18, to change laws and ordinance decreed by divine fiat. Matthew 18:18 must be kept solely on the context of “loosening and binding” that which is in complete harmony with the Law, not one that usurps God's prerogative. This is because, abandoning God's commandments in order to keep yours (Mark 7:8 ) simply amounts to “vain” worships (verse 7) and sin (1 John 3:4).

It may also interest you to know that attempting or “changing of set times and laws”, such as the Sabbath law established right at the very creation of man, blessed and sanctified—set apart from every other day (Genesis 2:3), is associated with Satan and his agents (Daniel 7:25).

Now, having said all these, lets see one of the many accounts that shows that the apostles did in fact, kept the Sabbath.

Paul kept the Sabbath

The account, ACTS 18:1-11 , is remarkable. It reveals that Paul worked during the week and kept the Sabbath—“every” Sabbath: “After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; and found a certain Jew named Aquila…with his wife Priscilla…and came unto them. And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers. And he reasoned in the synagogue EVERY SABBATH, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks [Gentiles]…and he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them” (vs. 1-4, 11). Eighteen months is equivalent to 78 weekly Sabbaths on which Paul taught God’s Word!

Verse 6 shows that the Jews became angry and, blaspheming, departed from Paul. This left him teaching Gentiles only—and yet he continued teaching them on the Sabbath! The argument that he met on the Sabbath to satisfy the Jews holds no water.

Paul taught both Jews and Gentiles each Sabbath. And he worked the other six days in accord with “Six days shall you labor, and do all your work.” If Paul was also observing Sunday, he would have been routinely violating the other aspect of the Sabbath command, having but five days to work.

Finally, notice that Acts 17:2 states that Paul, when in Thessalonica, “…as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures.” This was also a Gentile city.

The pattern is clear. Paul kept the Sabbath, meeting with and teaching brethren everywhere he went. Now consider what he instructed the Gentile Corinthians: “Be you followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” (I Cor. 11:1).

Syncan:

They were very conscious of separating their religion from Judaizers. The Epistle to the Galatians was focused upon refuting Judaizing, since many Gentile Christians had fallen prey to the heresy.

I do not know of what you mean by “Judaizing”— a phrase that reeks of loathsomeness and distancing of self from the Jews. If you think that you have a faith that is at variance with the Jews (true Jews), then you may as well re-examine your faith.

This re-examination becomes imperative in light of the fact that “salvation is of the Jews” (John 4:22) and also that a Christian is a Jew (Romans 2:29). So then, claiming that keeping the Sabbath means “Judaizing” and must be rejected, also means and can be correctly say that you have no salvation. Yes, Jesus was/is a Jew! And if you can't identified with Him as a Jew, then you simply have no part in what belongs to the Jews!

PS:There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God” (Hebrews 4:9).
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Splinz(m): 6:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
Syncan:

Yes. The Authority of the church with she removed the burden of circumcision on gentiles...

Wrong. Your church or any other one has no such powers. Circumcision still remaineth and a Christian is also circumcised.

However, its mode of administration was removed/changed from physical to spiritual (Romans 2:29), and the changer of this mode is God Himself who circumcised us through His Spirit.

Or was it your church that gave us the Holy Spirit?

Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by MuttleyLaff: 9:30pm On Apr 16, 2017
zionmade:

So explain why he harvested a corn on sabath wen d commandment says dnt do anything farm on sabath?
Explain wat rom 7:4 mmeans wen it says dat we are dead to d law.
Explain wat rom 3:27-28 means.

And for ur last verse John 3:16 made it clear (for whosoever believeth in me should not perish) did u see doeth d law there?
What was paul talking about in rom 8:3

D only commandment from Jesus dat i know of is Serve d lord with all ur heart, and love ur neighbor as urself. Do u know any other one?
The bible shows Jesus EXPLICITLY & ALMOST OUTRIGHTLY commanding all the 10 commandments

Jesus EXPLICITLY & OUTRIGHTLY commands 9 out of the 10 commandments

Isnt it ironic, if sabbath keeping was so dear and previous to Lord of the sabbath (i.e. Owner of the sabbath),
that He made a decision and choice not to explicitly command keeping the sabbath, like He did explicitly command 9 out of the 10 commandments
but nowhere in the entire bible does explictly like ironic

zionmade2:
All those things u listed there were repeated in d new testament apart from d sabath day.
And apart from No 1 and d sabath, d rest Jesus said are summarized by "love ur neighbor as urself" and if u look well dat is d summary. So i said it before only two things are required from a Christian. Serve d Lord and love ur neighbors as urself
Now explain to me d meaning of those two chapters and stop running away
Thank you ojaare

DoctorAlien:
Jesus summarized the whole law into "Love for GOD" and "Love for man". How do you love GOD?

Do you know that you will be judged by the 10 Commandments? (James 2:12; 1:25; Psa. 19:7)
SMH.
Will be judged by the law of liberty and as one who looks into the perfect law (i.e. James 2:12 and James 1:25)

Each of the 10 Commandments have been revised by God the Son, in the person of Jesus Christ
and where applicable each is explicitly reissued or dropped, abandoned and discarded as something that is no longer needed or wanted

Please get aquainted with the essence of the law of liberty
and know the difference between it and the old system 10 commandments
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 6:41am On Apr 17, 2017
Splinz:

Wrong. Your church or any other one has no such powers. Circumcision still remaineth and a Christian is also circumcised.

However, its mode of administration was removed/changed from physical to spiritual (Romans 2:29), and the changer of this mode is God Himself who circumcised us through His Spirit.

Or was it your church that gave us the Holy Spirit?

Hahahaha, Judaizers are here. Romans 2:29 only came after the Church had made the pronouncement of Acts 15:28fff. Using your argument, how come you're blind to the fact that the Sabbath obligations of worship and rest is still kept; while the day of observation is changed, Jn.20:1,19,26. The Changer is God himself who made a new day through His Son, Jesus in line with scripture, and the Holy spirit followed with His descent on the Apostles Same day Acts.2:1. The Church proclaimed it, as she did the Circumcision.

Just so you know:

"Furthermore he says to them, "Your new moons and the sabbaths I cannot away with." Do you see whathe means? The present sabbaths are not acceptable tome, but that which I have made, in which I will giverest to all things and make the beginning of an eighthday, that is the beginning of another world. Wherefore we also celebrate with gladness the eighth day in which Jesus also rose from the dead, and was made manifest, and ascended into Heaven". Barnabas 15:8-9

The quote above is from one of those books rejected by the Catholic Church for inclusion among the Canons(Bible). You claim not to believe in the authority of the Catholic Church, but you threw away the epistle of Barnabas which was considered inspired in Asia at the time. What Authority did the Catholic Church use in removing the Epistle of Barnabas from the Canons? It was obvious the Church in Syria was using it as Scripture until the Synods in Rome (382AD) and Carthage (393-397AD) rejected it. So how come you only use Catholic accepted books while you deny their authority.
Re: Is Sunday Really Sacred? by Syncan(m): 7:22am On Apr 17, 2017
Splinz:

There is, in fact, many. Jesus having kept the Law, of course, the Sabbath inclusive (Matthew 5:17) and left us an example to follow in His steps (1 Peter 2:21), can't be said to have suddenly turned a blind eye to obvious lawlessness of His apostles, the very thing He delivered us from (Titus 2:14). Neither can it be say that an authorization was given by Him to the apostles, citing Matthew 18:18, to change laws and ordinance decreed by divine fiat. Matthew 18:18 must be kept solely on the context of “loosening and binding” that which is in complete harmony with the Law, not one that usurps God's prerogative. This is because, abandoning God's commandments in order to keep yours (Mark 7:8 ) simply amounts to “vain” worships (verse 7) and sin (1 John 3:4).

It may also interest you to know that attempting or “changing of set times and laws”, such as the Sabbath law established right at the very creation of man, blessed and sanctified—set apart from every other day (Genesis 2:3), is associated with Satan and his agents (Daniel 7:25).

Now, having said all these, lets see one of the many accounts that shows that the apostles did in fact, kept the Sabbath.

Paul kept the Sabbath

The account, ACTS 18:1-11 , is remarkable. It reveals that Paul worked during the week and kept the Sabbath—“every” Sabbath: “After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; and found a certain Jew named Aquila…with his wife Priscilla…and came unto them. And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers. And he reasoned in the synagogue EVERY SABBATH, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks [Gentiles]…and he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them” (vs. 1-4, 11). Eighteen months is equivalent to 78 weekly Sabbaths on which Paul taught God’s Word!

Verse 6 shows that the Jews became angry and, blaspheming, departed from Paul. This left him teaching Gentiles only—and yet he continued teaching them on the Sabbath! The argument that he met on the Sabbath to satisfy the Jews holds no water.

Paul taught both Jews and Gentiles each Sabbath. And he worked the other six days in accord with “Six days shall you labor, and do all your work.” If Paul was also observing Sunday, he would have been routinely violating the other aspect of the Sabbath command, having but five days to work.

Finally, notice that Acts 17:2 states that Paul, when in Thessalonica, “…as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures.” This was also a Gentile city.

The pattern is clear. Paul kept the Sabbath, meeting with and teaching brethren everywhere he went. Now consider what he instructed the Gentile Corinthians: “Be you followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” (I Cor. 11:1).

I do not know of what you mean by “Judaizing”— a phrase that reeks of loathsomeness and distancing of self from the Jews. If you think that you have a faith that is at variance with the Jews (true Jews), then you may as well re-examine your faith.

This re-examination becomes imperative in light of the fact that “salvation is of the Jews” (John 4:22) and also that a Christian is a Jew (Romans 2:29). So then, claiming that keeping the Sabbath means “Judaizing” and must be rejected, also means and can be correctly say that you have no salvation. Yes, Jesus was/is a Jew! And if you can't identified with Him as a Jew, then you simply have no part in what belongs to the Jews!

PS:There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God” (Hebrews 4:9).

Same old wrenching of Scripture unto ones destruction 2pet.3:16. You didn't give the Church the authority in Mat.18:18, so you don't give the condition under which the Church exercise it. When the Church Speaks, she Speaks for and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit as well, that's why she could say "It has pleased us and the Holy Spirit...."Acts.15:28. Same words she used in removing the burden of circumcision, same words she used in proclaiming rest on the Lord's day, same words she used in canonizing the set of books you call bible today.

Jesus: Anyone who reads scripture knows that one reason the Jews plotted to kill Jesus was because they said he violates Sabbath,
though they judge him by the letters[b]Jn.5:18[/b]. What is Jesus own view about Sabbath, lets see " The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath" Mk.2:27-28. To which other law did Jesus show much bias towards the spirit of the law than the letter?

Paul: Scripture is very clear, on the first day of the week is when they gather to break bread as Christians, every other visit to the synagogue was to preach to those observing Sabbath. "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight" Acts.20:7. The Sabbath isn't just preaching, it involves rest, hence no where in all your quotes did it say that Paul observed the Sabbath, nor told any Christian to do so. If your Sabbath keeping ministers go to the public square on Sundays and preach to people for Seven consecutive weeks, does it mean they are keeping the Sunday worship and breaking your Sabbath rules?

The word Judaizer comes from a Greek verb meaning “to live according to Jewish customs.” The word appears in Galatians 2:14 where Paul describes how he confronted Peter for forcing Gentile Christians to “Judaize.” He clears it all up here in Galatians 2:16: “A man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.” In Acts.15, Judaizing was Condemned by the Church in her council.

" There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God". Heb.4:9. Indeed a day of rest remaineth,the first day of the week, the Lord's day, for this is in accordance with scripture when it says thus:

"The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief corner stone. This is the Lord's doing; It is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. O Lord, do save, we beseech You; O Lord, we beseech You, do send prosperity! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord; We have blessed you from the house of the Lord. " Psalm 118:22-26

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Christians The Only Holy People? / Everyone Should Be Stoned In The Bible / Dominion City Camp Meeting 2020 LIVE SERVICE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.