Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (121145 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by AmadeusCho: 7:50am On Aug 20, 2018
jidestroud:

The Basil dried up in the jar of water?
Yes
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:22am On Aug 20, 2018
AmadeusCho:

Yes

That's a little weird. But for emphasis sake, look at the pictures below.
1. Make sure you cut the part you intend propagating from about the size up (barely 4 leaves - a new shoot)

2. Place in a jar making sure the never dries out below the leave level.

NOTE: You can as well plant directly into the soil.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by AmadeusCho: 9:52am On Aug 20, 2018
Thanks will try again today both the soil and water propagation
jidestroud:

That's a little weird. But for emphasis sake, look at the pictures below.
1. Make sure you cut the part you intend propagating from about the size up (barely 4 leaves - a new shoot)

2. Place in a jar making sure the never dries out below the leave level.

NOTE: You can as well plant directly into the soil.
Any idea for my garden egg farm it’s not as green as I want it to be some I looking yellowish/whitish ishh lol
But it’s getting me worried
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:19am On Aug 21, 2018
Checklist for the year almost completed.

Latest Additions to the garden:

1. Scotch Bonnet Pepper

2. Red Bell pepper

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:53pm On Aug 22, 2018
Quick Tips to Having fruitful Tomato Plants

I tried this out a couple of times and the results were amazing. Having seen it been done on YouTube videos on tomatoes, it has become a garden habit of mine every time I go in to do a quick routing checkup on the plants.

This technique involves:

1. tapping a set flower just directly on its head. This helps pollination process, and 24hours or more, you can already see the fruit coming forth.

2. Another method I tried and worked for me is, withdrawing water from the tomato plant. Yes! I tried it, and you need to see how the plant went into flowering mode. Fruiting followed up almost immediately.

Note: Once fruiting commences, kindly start wetting the plant back.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 4:56pm On Aug 22, 2018
jidestroud:
Quick Tips to Having fruitful Tomato Plants

I tried this out a come of times and the results were amazing. Having seen it been done on YouTube videos on tomatoes, it has become a garden habit of mine every time I go in to do a quick routing checkup on the plants.

This technique involves:

1. tapping a set flower just directly on its head. This helps pollination process, and 24hours or more, you can already see the fruit coming forth.

2. Another method I tried and worked for me is, withdrawing water from the tomato plant. Yes! I tried and you need to see how the plant went into flowering mode. Fruiting followed up almost immediately.

Note: Once fruiting commences, kindly start wetting the plant back.

Can No2 be tried on tomato grown on land?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:51pm On Aug 22, 2018
oyetpel:

Can No2 be tried on tomato grown on land?

Yes. All my tomato plants are in mother earth. No sack farming presently in my garden.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excanny: 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2018
jidestroud:

Yes. All my tomato plants are in mother earth. No sack farming presently in my garden.

Hello bro, do u water your tomato seeds while you wait for germination?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 8:02pm On Aug 22, 2018
jidestroud:

What if rain falls on it?

Do you use a canopy to cover it?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:24pm On Aug 22, 2018
excanny:

Hello bro, do u water your tomato seeds while you wait for germination?

Not necessarily. Except if the soil is getting dried up. Most times I simply spray the soil with a spray bottle just to keep it moist.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:29pm On Aug 22, 2018
oyetpel:

What if rain falls on it?

Do you use a canopy to cover it?

Lol... Those are few exceptions. Then you simply do the former; simply give the already blooming flower a slight tap.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:45pm On Aug 25, 2018
Too Much Rain and Its Effect on Tomato Plants

The rains are back and my tomatoes in my garden are already taking a hit from too much of it. The different problems excessive rainfall could pose to my tomato plants include, but are not limited to:

Failure to thrive/drooping plants
Fungal diseases/blight
Blossoms but no fruit
Cracked fruit
Blossom end rot

Nevertheless, I will be taking control measures to counter these obstacles during these not phase. Thank God I made high ridges, that was a good start.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:19pm On Aug 26, 2018
Tomato site seeing

Okay, I got this unexpected visitor who came visiting to see if he could get some ugu seeds to plant. Unfortunately, I had given out most of the nursed ugu, while I planted the remaining. He later invited me over to take a look at his tomatoes in bags which I obliged to.
My people, it was a scary sight to behold. It was a total disaster as a project. I kept asking what happened? Why didn't he just simply restart?
Every plant was infected and reeked of diseases. I wouldn't even eat a tomato from this plant I said to myself.
There's is no coming back from this. The best option is to manage it and get as much fruits from the plants. That was all I could offer...

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:41pm On Aug 26, 2018
Like they always say, "prevention is better than cure". This is one of the cases where doing everything to prevent an outbreak is mandatory. Another way out of this as preached by my superiors in the field is using resistance hybrid varieties.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:04pm On Aug 26, 2018
Quick Tips to Saving Your Tomato Plants This Rainy Days

A few tips on how I prepared my tomato plants for this second coming of the rains.

1. Planted the tomato plants on raised heaps. This is to help in terms of flooding.

2. Pruning all lower leaves close to the ground. This reduces soil water splash when there is a downpour which in turn reduces blight occurrence. Also, allows free flow of air.

3. I removed all mulching leaves. The soil retaining water at this period isn't a good idea. I don't want my tomatoes exploding.

4. I spray my plants after every rainfall with Baking soda mixed with black soap when opportuned.

5. Proper staking is very necessary to avoid the plants falling off from a violent storm.

And there goes my tomato fruiting fine and looking healthy.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2018
Ugu from Cut seeds

Remember the ugu I divided all up and nursed in sawdust? Yup! Gave out lots of it and planted the remaining lot. They are doing so well, all thanks to proper monitoring and most especially, the rains grin .

Plant on nursing another 400 seeds once I cut the next gourd off in some days.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 9:50am On Aug 27, 2018
jidestroud:
Tomato site seeing

Okay, I got this unexpected visitor who came visiting to see if he could get some ugu seeds to plant. Unfortunately, I had given out most of the nursed ugu, while I planted the remaining. He later invited me over to take a look at his tomatoes in bags which I obliged to.
My people, it was a scary sight to behold. It was a total disaster as a project. I kept asking what happened? Why didn't he just simply restart?
Every plant was infected and reeked of diseases. I wouldn't even eat a tomato from this plant I said to myself.
There's is no coming back from this. The best option is to manage it and get as much fruits from the plants. That was all I could offer...

I think planting tomatoes in bags requires using a very rich soil and manures.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 4:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
Unprecedented update

An unusual update from my garden grin

Got out with my lovely buddie (Rubbie the cat) to inspect the garden. Suddenly, I saw Rubbie trying to drag something into the house only for me to realize it was a snake she just killed. Sharp sharp, I collect from her and straight into the garden I went to make use it.

Why not use it to grow something? I asked myself. There you have it. Instantly, I went ahead to bring out my Red Bell Pepper ready to be grown in the field.

1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excanny: 4:28pm On Aug 31, 2018
jidestroud:
Unprecedented update

An unusual update from my garden grin

Got out with my lovely buddie (Rubbie the cat) to inspect the garden. Suddenly, I saw Rubbie trying to drag something into the house only for me to realize it was a snake she just killed. Sharp sharp, I collect from her and straight into the garden I went to make use it.

Why not use it to grow something? I asked myself. There you have it. Instantly, I went ahead to bring out my Red Bell Pepper ready to be grown in the field.

Whao! What can we call this? Snake pepper? grin
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:37pm On Aug 31, 2018
He he he... Yeah right!!! grin

Hoping to get the best out of this particular plant.. cool

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:57am On Sep 01, 2018
Tomato Harvest in a bit!!!

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 1:52pm On Sep 01, 2018
jidestroud:
Tomato Harvest in a bit!!!
It's always a good feeling when one's tomatoes ripens.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by pelicanbeau(f): 12:51pm On Sep 04, 2018
jidestroud:
Male Ugu plant Eradication

This morning was totally dedicated to the removal of all the Male Ugu plants. Got a few among my fluted pumpkin kitchen size farm (about 4 of them).

I was adviced to take them all out because it spoils the whole bunch (Scientifically, I see no meaning to this, but it was an advice coming from someone who has infinite number of experience in ugu farming so I obliged).

Nevertheless, the Male ugu leaves are just so small and of little economical importance.

Pic:
Male on the left while the Female on the right

Pls boss, but how can one identify male ugu from ugu vegetation? Is it that red stems one or what?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:06am On Sep 06, 2018
First Harvest - Tomatoes

I get to harvest my very own garden tomatoes. Long time coming grin . It turned out to be yet another success recorded in my tomato quest. The rains are much now, so I have to harvest like every other day. I wouldn't want my tomatoes exploding due to excess water intake. angry

Tomatoes Harvested includes

1. Rio grande
2. Cherry tomato (can't wait to make sandwich out of this.

Harvesting continues daily now.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Seun(m): 10:16am On Sep 06, 2018
jidestroud, I've noticed that the tomatoes you have most success with (Rio Grande, Cherry tomatoes) are known for their ability to set fruit in warmer weather. I have tried Shoprite's Roma and Starke Ayres Roma VFN at various times. They flowered but never set fruit. Not even once.

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by vhickky(f): 7:21pm On Sep 06, 2018
jidestroud:
Checklist for the year almost completed.
Latest Additions to the garden:
1. Scotch Bonnet Pepper
2. Red Bell pepper
local (OP) or hybrid?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:05pm On Sep 06, 2018
Seun:
jidestroud, I've noticed that the tomatoes you have most success with (Rio Grande, Cherry tomatoes) are known for their ability to set fruit in warmer weather. I have tried Shoprite's Roma and Starke Ayres Roma VFN at various times. They flowered but never set fruit. Not even once.

Setting flowers and not fruiting? What exactly are you experiencing, blossom drop? Are the flowers breaking off at the joints? etc

I did experience such too and you are so right, its more of an environmental factor eg. What kind of fertilizer you are using? Too much rains? Failed pollination? etc.

Roma VFN is a good one.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:06pm On Sep 06, 2018
vhickky:
local (OP) or hybrid?

All heirloom type.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excanny: 9:24pm On Sep 06, 2018
jidestroud:

All heirloom type.

I noticed you seem to avoid hybrid seeds. Is there any reasons why you do this?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:44pm On Sep 06, 2018
excanny:

I noticed you seem to avoid hybrid seeds. Is there any reasons why you do this?
Lol,

Which I had a genuine reason other than the price difference and availability. With the heirlooms, I have been able to keep the seeds since the first I got it, and still planting from seeds gotten from fruits.

Honestly, I just wanted to train myself using difficult ones available to all before using cheat mode species grin. Trust me, I will be introducing some hybrids soonest.

For now, let me just enjoy the sweet flavour of my paste Rio grande tomatoes. cool
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excanny: 10:57pm On Sep 06, 2018
grin Na wa o Tomatoes are not easy o.

Extracted some tomatoes seeds from the tomatoes I bought from these mallams(the long oval ones). Planted since 14 days now, but they are yet to get true leaves, just the 2 seed leaves since, and they look very stagnant in growth.

Tho I've been keeping them indoors from day 1-10, with their only source of light is through a window. Just brought them out 2 days ago for them to be battered heavily by rains.

Can't even post pics sef. Everything looks bad. Thinking of discarding these set and plant again. Don't know if it's the seeds that caused the the problem.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.