Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (121109 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:40pm On Apr 22, 2017
Mixing of my organic fertilizer (from my compost) with soil.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
Day 7:

Today I'll be experimenting with the pumpkin seeds I grew in the bags to get more from a single seed.

I won't be doing it on a large scale until success is recorded with this few.

I am going to be splitting the seeds into just two equal parts as against the 4part division. (As stated in the article)...

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:28pm On Apr 29, 2017
Day 15.

So far so good. The tomato seedling came out just fine. Also, I have trimmed it down to one seedling per cup by cutting of the smaller ones, Leaving the healthy ones.

Very impressive.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 7:

Today I'll be experimenting with the pumpkin seeds I grew in the bags to get more from a single seed.

I won't be doing it on a large scale until success is recorded with this few.

I am going to be splitting the seeds into just two equal parts as against the 4part division. (As stated in the article)...

Oh did I forget to give an update on the fluted pumpkin...well, it worked out. I just saw one of the halves I replanted gowing out. Amazing.

Next, I would dissect it into 4 parts (to maximize the seeds)

Included are the pictures from the first planted fluted pumpkin in bags. They have been growing just fine after transplanting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by instinctg(m): 2:24pm On May 01, 2017
interesting OP, following
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bolseas(f): 12:48pm On May 04, 2017
#Following#

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Kalusam(m): 1:16pm On May 04, 2017
This is interesting...keep up the good works, with the same zeal and determination you have applied to setup this project please continue in like manner and even do more till the end and you will be rewarded greatly! #perseverencepays

4 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:07pm On May 04, 2017
Day 20: Pest Issues

Okay, recently I have been having pest related issues. Every morning I end up with my pumpkin leaves looking like a skeletal framework of itself. This have been going on for quite a while now. So I decided to try out the much publicized home-made Neem leave solution. I have been using that for a while now, though I can barely say if the destruction caused by the pest has reduced or any noticeable changes have been observed.

Nevertheless, the curious me decided to visit my garden at night. Lo and behold, I found the culprits...Beetles!!! Beetles!!! Black Beetles!!!
I have been hand-picking them every night up to this very moment.
Goodnews, the damage has reduced drastically, though still combined with the spraying of neem leaves water.

Now my farm is back to normal. Thanks all.

4 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:17pm On May 04, 2017
Kalusam:
This is interesting...keep up the good works, with the same zeal and determination you have applied to setup this project please continue in like manner and even do more till the end and you will be rewarded greatly! #perseverencepays

Thanks. Always opened to suggestions.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:23pm On May 04, 2017
Day 20: Pest Issues

Okay, recently I have been having pest related issues. Every morning I end up with my pumpkin leaves looking like a skeletal framework of itself. This have been going on for quite a while now. So I decided to try out the much publicized home-made Neem leave solution. I have been using that for a while now, though I can barely say if the destruction caused by the pest has reduced or any noticeable changes have been observed.

Nevertheless, the curious me decided to visit my garden at night. Lo and behold, I found the culprits...Beetles!!! Beetles!!! Black Beetles!!!
I have been hand-picking them every night up to this very moment.
Goodnews, the damage has reduced drastically, though still combined with the spraying of neem leaves water.

Now my farm is back to normal. Thanks all.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:15pm On May 09, 2017
Day 25: (Surprise Visitation)

Today was indeed a beautiful day for me on my garden project. Someone paid me a visit who has been following my post and was so impressed that I got FREE vege-seeds as a reward of my commitment to my garden. (Thanks Mr. Ayodele from the College of Education, Lagos. I remain Loyal sir).

New additions to My Garden (Thanks once again)
1. Rio Grande Tomato seeds
2. F1 Victory Cabbage seeds (though I have no intentions of planting cabbage. I have little or no info on it)
3. Murano cucumber seeds.

Let's see how this turns out. Though I do have a question on planting different species of tomato in the same garden, hope I ain't ...

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:28pm On May 09, 2017
Oh did I forget to mention I got NPK fertilizer also? 15:15:15, a paint bucket from Alaba at the rate of N900.

And also soluble fertilizer. (Don't really know the name now, it was measured out) got N200 worth.

Also, a pack of plastic cups was gotten. N700 for 50 pieces.

4 spray bottles at the rate of N100 naira = N400

N50 worth of Green Vegetable (white one)

Total Money spent today: N2250

*I wish I could get the plastic nursing trays

I would be doing the sack farming for the cucumber. I guess it's time to become innovative. I have always wanted to design an irrigation system with plastic bottles.

*Pictures would be uploaded once I'm done building the irrigation system from scrap bottles.

As for the rio grande tomato seeds, I will be nursing them in disposable plastic cups.

*Farming is quite expensive oooo biko. Lol.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by adescopy(m): 12:52am On May 10, 2017
Weldone Op. pls which alaba did u get the retail fertilizer from: alaba int, alaba rago or alaba sure. thanks, I am in Abeokuta
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:14am On May 10, 2017
adescopy:
Weldone Op. pls which alaba did u get the retail fertilizer from: alaba int, alaba rago or alaba sure. thanks, I am in Abeokuta

Alaba rago to be precise. You'll get whatever fertilizer you intend buying there.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by funstufz: 6:50am On May 10, 2017
Welldone op
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 11:57am On May 10, 2017
funstufz:
Welldone op
Thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 10, 2017
am fortunate coming about this thread in its early stage. i haven't been lucky with other educative post from @pavore9, @jethro, @ishaqteejay, @organicfoods, @jasper, @newway and other pacesetters in the agriculture section of NL. I WILL be religiously following u on this @OP. WELL DONE AND MAY GOD REWARD YOUR EFFORT
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 10, 2017
Thanks Op for what u re doing here. I am aspiring to set up my Own vegetable farm in anambra in 5acres of land. Tho fund is a challenge bt am working towards it.

I am learning too. Wish i can pay u a visit
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:38pm On May 10, 2017
rajowski:
am fortunate coming about this thread in its early stage. i haven't been lucky with other educative post from @pavore9, @jethro, @ishaqteejay, @organicfoods, @jasper, @newway and other pacesetters in the agriculture section of NL. I WILL be religiously following u on this @OP. WELL DONE AND MAY GOD REWARD YOUR EFFORT

Thanks for the constructive feedback.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:43pm On May 10, 2017
rocasmilatos:
Thanks Op for what u re doing here. I am aspiring to set up my Own vegetable farm in anambra in 5acres of land. Tho fund is a challenge bt am working towards it.

I am learning too. Wish i can pay u a visit

of a truth, i am beginning to see why government is indeed a key factor to the progress to agricultural practices in Nigeria. Farming is very very capital intensive except you want to remain a backyard farmer like me. I would employ you to do your home-work well before venturing into it on a large scale.
Thanks for the feedback.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by damilareadeniyi: 1:45pm On May 10, 2017
For good yield from your vegetable garden, contact us through stoladcom@yahoo.com for Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) which contains Magnesium and sulphur, micro-nutrients essential for green leaves and healthy/quality fruits of tomato, pepper, melon, ugu, etc.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 3:40pm On May 10, 2017
Day 26: (My Irrigation System)

Woah! Who says farming isn't time consuming and capital intensive? Thank God for creativity and youtube vidz. Okay, today it's all about my irrigation system design for my vegetables.

Decided to make of use of both recycled 1.5litre bottles and 75cl bottles to make my make-shift irrigation design.

This is what I came up with.

Materials listed.
1. 1.5Litres Eva bottles / 75cl bottles (40 in all) N20 per bottles for the 1.5 litre

2. Tape for N250

3. Pipe (scrap for uncompleted building around)

4. Cutter for N50

Total N1100

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 10, 2017
jidestroud:
Day 26: (My Irrigation System)

Woah! Who says farming isn't time consuming and capital intensive? Thank God for creativity and youtube vidz. Okay, today it's all about my irrigation system design for my vegetables.

Decided to make of use of both recycled 1.5litre bottles and 75cl bottles to make my make-shift irrigation design.

This is what I came up with.

Materials listed.
1. 1.5Litres Eva bottles / 75cl bottles (40 in all) N20 per bottles for the 1.5 litre

2. Tape for N250

3. Pipe (scrap for uncompleted building around)

4. Cutter for N50

Total N1100

thats a nice innovation u have there @op...can u do us the favor of explaining how the system works

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:32pm On May 10, 2017
rajowski:

thats a nice innovation u have there @op...can u do us the favor of explaining how the system works

Firstly, this can only be done to a garden size farming. Commercial farming would require a lot more extensive irrigation system.
You can recycle plastic bottles. The used bottles are buried between plants. They take seconds to fill. All water gets to the roots of each plant unlike sprinklers which allow much of the water to be trapped in the foliage.
This to me is one of the best ways to provide a steady water supply to your vegetable plants without your constant attention is the gradual watering system.
“Through this method a device is employed
that slowly delivers water into the soil
directly around the roots, in this case the bottle buried upside down, with the attached pipe in the ground close to the base of the plant.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 6:28am On May 11, 2017
jidestroud:

Firstly, this can only be done to a garden size farming. Commercial farming would require a lot more extensive irrigation system.
You can recycle plastic bottles. The used bottles are buried between plants. They take seconds to fill. All water gets to the roots of each plant unlike sprinklers which allow much of the water to be trapped in the foliage.
This to me is one of the best ways to provide a steady water supply to your vegetable plants without your constant attention is the gradual watering system.
“Through this method a device is employed
that slowly delivers water into the soil
directly around the roots, in this case the bottle buried upside down, with the attached pipe in the ground close to the base of the plant.

got it. thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:05am On May 11, 2017
rajowski:

got it. thanks
You're welcomed, always a pleasure.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:18pm On May 11, 2017
Day 27: (Scent leaf propagation "Basil"wink

Basil to be inter-cropped with my tomato plant

Since I have opted to use biological/organic means as much as possible on my farm, I have been constantly checking out plants that are of mutual benefits to one another. So today, it's Basil aka scent-leaf nursing day.

Unfortunately, I could lay my hands on the seeds so I opted for the self propagation way.

The rest is explained in the pictures.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:22pm On May 11, 2017
Day 27: (Scent leaf propagation "Basil"wink

Basil to be inter-cropped with my tomato plant

Since I have opted to use biological/organic means as much as possible on my farm, I have been constantly checking out plants that are of mutual benefits to one another. So today, it's Basil aka scent-leaf nursing day.

Unfortunately, I could lay my hands on the seeds so I opted for the self propagation way.

The rest is explained in the pictures.

All I have to do now is wait for roots to develop. This should take roughly about 2weeks. *i'm a very patient farmer. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by UGODDAY(m): 12:39pm On May 11, 2017
How can someone get all these seed
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 12:51pm On May 11, 2017
UGODDAY:
How can someone get all these seed

What seeds to be precise? And if you mean agricultural seeds for farming (good quality), it all depends on location, and ofcos, Nairaland has been of great help.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:58pm On May 13, 2017
Day 29: (My Garden at a glance)

Finally, it's the 29th day into my experimental garden. More veges keep finding their ways into my heart (Cucumber and cabbage).

Review so far on planted vegetables
1. Fluted pumpkin (calabar / ph type)
2. Lagos spinach (soko)
3. Tomato (Rio grande)
4. Sweet corn
5. Cucumber (Murano as given)
6. Efo green (tete)
7. Cabbage (F1 Victory)

*additions for intercropping are:
1. Basil
2. Lemon-grass

*Ewedu plant (Weed that grew on it's own)

My tomato has simply stolen my heart. So healthy and strong. Now to a high of 7'inches. Should be going into the soil in another week or so. I just pray the Basil makes it in time, because I have to intercrop the two together to safeguard my tomato from pest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:01pm On May 13, 2017
Others...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.