Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,042 members, 7,956,880 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:23 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (126132 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 11:03am On Sep 07, 2018
excanny:
grin Na wa o Tomatoes are not easy o.

Extracted some tomatoes seeds from the tomatoes I bought from these mallams(the long oval ones). Planted since 14 days now, but they are yet to get true leaves, just the 2 seed leaves since, and they look very stagnant in growth.

Tho I've been keeping them indoors from day 1-10, with their only source of light is through a window. Just brought them out 2 days ago for them to be battered heavily by rains.

Can't even post pics sef. Everything looks bad. Thinking of discarding these set and plant again. Don't know if it's the seeds that caused the the problem.

You should have first of all dried the seed for like 8-10 days.

Get a paint bucket, fill it with good soil.

Then pour the dried tomato seeds on the soil, don't bury the seeds too deep, just sprinkle some soils on them.

Add little water every 2 days.

Then after 2 weeks they would have sprouted well, then you can now transplant into earth or sack.

Wish i could have snapped the seedlings my mom prepared (while i was in school) that i later planted in my garden. All of the seeds germinated. Though she bought the seeds but the one gotten from fresh tomato. (All na same process sha)

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2018
@excanny

You just gave me a good laugh. On a serious note, I have come to realise tomatoes ain't that difficult to grow you know. Just give it its environment to grow, sit back and watch the plants do the wonders.

On getting viable seeds to grow, hmmm... Well for me, I love buying seeds with labels so I am in the knowing of what I am growing and could easily look it up for further info. Buying seeds from mallams ain't bad but my reservations with such seeds are how viable they are! Where the fruits prematurely ripened? Diseases and transmission through contaminated seeds...etc

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by toyclicks: 3:53pm On Sep 15, 2018
Good day everyone.
Pls can anyone help with a sample business plan for an ugwu farm?

Thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:42pm On Oct 06, 2018
Been quite a while. So many things going on at the same time, can barely come in here to post updates.
Nevertheless, I've got goodnews from most quarters; i.e goat farm, my hectare of land and my kitchen garden. I should be harvesting my first sets of cucumbers in coming days (though it was/is still a disaster). My fluted pumpkin pods should be good for sales this week, my bell-pepper and rodo pepper plants are already flowering... My tomato plants gave me excellent yields. Next plants to takeover already in the nursery.

Pictures loading!!!

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excanny: 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2018
jidestroud:
Been quite a while. So many things going on at the same time, can barely come in here to post updates.
Nevertheless, I've got goodnews from most quarters; i.e goat farm, my hectare of land and my kitchen garden. I should be harvesting my first sets of cucumbers in coming days (though it was/is still a disaster). My fluted pumpkin pods should be good for sales this week, my bell-pepper and rodo pepper plants are already flowering... My tomato plants gave me excellent yields. Next plants to takeover already in the nursery.

Pictures loading!!!

Nice one!

I thought some rodents caused havoc on your farm, grin hence the long silence.

We've missed your updates and inspirations, our agric mentor.

How are your bracing up for the coming drought?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:26am On Nov 07, 2018
Worst Backyard Farmer so far cry

It has been quite a while I gave updates on my garden. Believe me, you don't want to know what's been happening cry cry .

Situation beyond my control took me to the North East (Gombe precisely) and as a result, my garden totally unattended to. Not even once did the person I begged to help check things out visit the garden. The garden is in a total mess; outgrown weeds, ugu leaves everywhere, rotten tomatoes litter the ground, my cucumbers all burnt out etc. It's a total disaster. Hence, the title Worst Farmer should be given to me

Nevertheless, I was able to harvest giant size ugu pods and my corn ain't doing half bad. The next couple of weeks will be dedicated to getting the garden back in shape and preparations for dry season farming.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 07, 2018
jidestroud:
Worst Backyard Farmer so far cry

It has been quite a while I gave updates on my garden. Believe me, you don't want to know what's been happening cry cry .

Situation beyond my control took me to the North East (Gombe precisely) and as a result, my garden totally unattended to. Not even once did the person I begged to help check things out visit the garden. The garden is in a total mess; outgrown weeds, ugu leaves everywhere, rotten tomatoes litter the ground, my cucumbers all burnt out etc. It's a total disaster. Hence, the title Worst Farmer should be given to me

Nevertheless, I was able to harvest giant size ugu pods and my corn ain't doing half bad. The next couple of weeks will be dedicated to getting the garden back in shape and preparations for dry season farming.
so sorry about this, thats some humans for you. I believe it can still be savaged tho.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:05am On Nov 07, 2018
The Ugu pods

By the, that's Rubbie my flatmate. grin

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Juliana7: 2:23am On Nov 08, 2018
jidestroud:
The Ugu pods

. @op, pls is it true that if u want to get an ugu pod u will not harvest the leaves. Pls if true or false i need ur reponse. Thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:48am On Nov 08, 2018
Juliana7:
. @op, pls is it true that if u want to get an ugu pod u will not harvest the leaves. Pls if true or false i need ur reponse. Thanks

Partially true and false. The pods I harvested are from ugu plants running into their second year now. I have had to cut and cut over and over again but stopped when I needed the pods. Nevertheless, cutting does affect seed pod production both in size and quantity produced per plants. So once you are set and ready to get seed pods from your ugu plants, you stop cutting, or you probably just cut your plants for about 2months before leaving it for pods.

In summary, it all depends on the aspect of ugu farming you want to go into; either SEED PRODUCTION or LEAVE PRODUCTION. If you want seeds, you can as well leave it alone and let it grow wild. grin

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Juliana7: 6:55pm On Nov 08, 2018
Thanks op for ur prompt reponse
jidestroud:

Partially true and false. The pods I harvested are from ugu plants running into their second year now. I have had to cut and cut over and over again but stopped when I needed the pods. Nevertheless, cutting does affect seed pod production both in size and quantity produced per plants. So once you are set and ready to get seed pods from your ugu plants, you stop cutting, or you probably just cut your plants for about 2months before leaving it for pods.

In summary, it all depends on the aspect of ugu farming you want to go into; either SEED PRODUCTION or LEAVE PRODUCTION. If you want seeds, you can as well leave it alone and let it grow wild. grin
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:34pm On Nov 08, 2018
Juliana7:
Thanks op for ur prompt reponse

Always at your service
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by majralph: 9:09pm On Nov 08, 2018
I would like to have a backyard tomato farm dis dry season, what form of irrigation are you using?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:28pm On Nov 08, 2018
majralph:
I would like to have a backyard tomato farm dis dry season, what form of irrigation are you using?
Lol... I will replicating a bucket drip irrigation system I came across on YouTube (mostly for the cucumbers though).
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by agboolar06: 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2018
@Op..I really enjoyed your thread, please can you share your WhatsApp number please.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:09pm On Nov 14, 2018
agboolar06:
@Op..I really enjoyed your thread, please can you share your WhatsApp number please.

Sorry for the late response. Reach out to me using the mail

Thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by gabrielokeke555(m): 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2018
Are you into horticultural crops already or you're thinking about setting up one?

Get your quality agricultural and horticultural inputs such as; hybrid and OPV veggie seeds (Tomatoes, Cucumber, Okra, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, Sweet corn, Radish, Butternut, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Green beans, Watermelon, Onions, Carrot and Kale) from The Netherlands, seedling trays, coco peat, mulching foil/film, water soluble fertilizers, drip tube and spray tube irrigation equipment and tunnels.

Our office is Afri-Agri Products Limited located at No. 4 Metalbox Road, off Acme Road, Ogba Industrial Scheme, Ikeja-Lagos.
Or visit our website at www.afri-agri.com ; Email: info@afri-agri.com

You can also contact this numbers via call or : 07066935103, 08132253414 or +234 1 295 7814

It's our pleasure doing business and sharing knowledge with you.

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by toyclicks: 12:08pm On Nov 27, 2018
jidestroud:
The Ugu pods

Lol! you and cats.

I am starting a mini ugwu farm in my yard this week.. I have cleared the land.

What next? grin

I'm getting the pods from a friend.

I don't need to make heaps. right?

do I just add the manure to the cleared land
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:26pm On Nov 27, 2018
toyclicks:

Lol! you and cats.

I am starting a mini ugwu farm in my yard this week.. I have cleared the land.

What next? grin

I'm getting the pods from a friend.

I don't need to make heaps. right?

do I just add the manure to the cleared land

Lol...so attached to cats, can't imagine staying in a house without them.

On the ugu, you've got that right. After clearing add manure to the land (Not fresh manure bikonu). Water and planting can be done in week or two.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by mdautos: 1:03am On Nov 28, 2018
Acres of land suitable 4 farmland 4 sale at 50k per acre in oyo state Ogbomosho, Igbeti road. documents-Original receipt and lawyer agreement signed by the family chief and the king, its free frm all kind of issues and suitable for cashew plantation, maize,cassava etc 07069727219
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by toyclicks: 2:35pm On Nov 28, 2018
jidestroud:

On the ugu, you've got that right. After clearing add manure to the land (Not fresh manure bikonu). Water and planting can be done in week or two.

Not fresh manure meaning compost?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:34pm On Nov 28, 2018
toyclicks:

Not fresh manure meaning compost?
Yup. Adequate compost.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by ryusufu(m): 10:57am On Dec 06, 2018
jidestroud:
Pictures

1. Quarter Plot to be used.
2. Compost soil site.
3. Ugwu seeds Portion (Drying it out for 24hrs)
4. Tomato and Green-leaf seeds.
5. Urea fertilizer
6. Plastic coke bottles
Hello, I have dried my ugwu seeds, am I going to remove that black peel on it??
Thanks, keep on the good work bro
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:55pm On Dec 06, 2018
ryusufu:

Hello, I have dried my ugwu seeds, am I going to remove that black peel on it??
Thanks, keep on the good work bro

No oooo. You don't remove the peel for no reason at all. You can even go ahead and plant depending on the status of your seeds i.e if the seeds are already germinating within the pods or opened up partially
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by ryusufu(m): 2:20pm On Dec 06, 2018
jidestroud:

No oooo. You don't remove the peel for no reason at all. You can even go ahead and plant depending on the status of your seeds i.e if the seeds are already germinating within the pods or opened up partially
Thanks bro, I'll plant them tomorrow
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by kunleweb: 4:47pm On Dec 07, 2018
jidestroud:

Hi bro. What organic nematicide/pesticide/insectiinsecticide.combination can you recommend to protect planting materials from pest and insect attack?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Idemujoseph: 7:39am On Dec 14, 2018
Good morning
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Idemujoseph: 7:54am On Dec 14, 2018
Please Mr Jidestroud, how many days or weeks or months does it take to start harvesting Green leaf. And also, how do you have to clear weed in the Green leaf farm because I believe the Green leaf will cover every space in the farm.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:45pm On Dec 14, 2018
Idemujoseph:
Please Mr Jidestroud, how many days or weeks or months does it take to start harvesting Green leaf. And also, how do you have to clear weed in the Green leaf farm because I believe the Green leaf will cover every space in the farm.
Thanks in advance.

From my farming experience, it's usually between 4-5weeks. Note, harvesting is done with respect to growth rate i.e. harvesting the taller ones first.

In controlling weeds, most times I subscribe to handpicking. Due to planting methods, the weeds are usually to that much, just some here and there.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Idemujoseph: 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2018
Thank you sir for your quick response!
Please can I have your contact

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (34) (Reply)

Quality Bulldozer Land Clearing Service Nationwide. Reliable services. / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix / My Cucumber Farm Dairy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.