Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (120773 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:54pm On Jul 02, 2022
noeloge82:

Amen

Hope all is well this statement is deep
All is well boss!!!

God bless

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by gbemmytop(m): 5:57am On Jul 03, 2022
I pray may God return all a av lost in multiple folds of blessing ijn!
jidestroud:
My Story

Okay, hmmm... where I wan start sef? Let me start by quoting a saying of my loving mother (God bless her mightily for us her children) which goes thus; "farmers needs to be prayerful oooo omo mi (omo mi - My child in yoruba). O ni la ti kun fun adura (you need to pray fervently) because everything & all things can go south at any time in a sec". Those were are words anytime she enquired about how my business was going with regards to agriculture. Believe me now my people, farming is highly spiritual and you certainly must believe in God or whatever works for you to tackle the spiritual aspect of it.

Sometimes in second quarter of last year I engaged in a massive project which involved me soliciting for funds & even went as far as getting loans to carry the successful running of the project. It was a contract I secured to raise a large quantity of birds for just 3-4weeks max of age before offloading to the buyers. Everything was set and the project commenced successfully. It was so successful that in a batch of a thousand broilers, we recorded just 12 mortality at the 3 weeks of raising them. I was so satisfied that I boasted like the one who built the titanic that nothing could sink this ship.

Then Nigeria happened

In the 3rd week of raising the birds, the buyers suddenly compromised on our deal and told me they had to slash on the agreed price. I was furious and refused to renegotiate with them. C'mon this was concluded deal I fumed at them. For the first time in my life, I regretted not putting legal structure in place. The negotiations went on and on and before I knew it, the birds were in their 5th week. At this point in time, I was expending unbudgeted funds on the project running into thousands. I already made up my mind to hell with them, I had to the means to turn the whole disadvantage to my success.

the devil came
After much persuasion and urging me to sell at a ridiculous price to them, they came visiting this final day saying that they knew the funds to raise such number of birds was above me (Thanks to family ooo), and I should stop being stubborn and just part with at least some; then one of them just said; Mr. Jide, if you don't sell to us all your birds go die oooo. Immediately, I and my partner on ground rebuked him and that was it.

Lo and behold, in less than 2 days birds wey die ehn!!!! I repeat, birds wey die ehn... I was afraid. Everything proved abortive. Nothing worked. (My people, I visit vet I taya. Test upon test no worked). ALL was lost. It was a disaster. At this point, I had spent millions & I was using my hand to bury my millions.

Series of events followed. The worker on my farm taking care of my goats & pigs resigned without my knowledge. He simply wrote a note on a piece of paper and put it at the entrance of my gate. Unfortunately, I didn't go to the farm for 3 weeks (I was trying to salvage the situation of the other project). I only did realise something was wrong when I got a call from the supplier of spent grains that I haven't been coming patronize her again, saying I have gotten another customer abi? I was stunned. Another customer bawo? I called my worker, he wasn't answering....to cut long story short. I got to the farm and tears started rolling down my cheeks when I saw what was left. At a point, I was asking myself, so na only 1% of Job's ordeal be this ooo!!! How e take endure?

To tell the truth, I lost everything... (God bless my friends I swear). Iyawo was a pillar in it all. She just kept praying and thanking God while I was angry at Him.

I put up so many things for sale (God no go allow us dey sell our property because of trouble ooo), at least, I go sha pay people back their money and pay off my loan debt.

Moreover, I had to stay away from a lot of things including social media and the likes. Debts come full ground yakata grin grin. I had to channel my chi into staying alive and staying healthy, na who dey alive dey get hope ooo. Once again, God bless my family (I tried putting up an all is well face, realising it was never a crime to ask for help) who intervened in their own little ways.

So far
Well, so far so good. Haven't ventured into anything farming this year. I recently visited my farmland last week since last year and I literally had a good laugh. Maybe, I will be hunting grasscutters & snakes for a while before kickstarting again.

Nevertheless, I have been to learn alot from this experience which i will be starting later.

With regards to that particular man & his unterrance, I did confront him (Another epistle).

My absconded worker case dey Area K police station. Nevertheless, I have forgiven him and moved pass the situation. All can be recovered so long grace abounds and His breath remains in me.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by DammyOlu123(m): 7:54am On Jul 03, 2022
jidestroud:
My Story

Okay, hmmm... where I wan start sef? Let me start by quoting a saying of my loving mother (God bless her mightily for us her children) which goes thus; "farmers needs to be prayerful oooo omo mi (omo mi - My child in yoruba). O ni la ti kun fun adura (you need to pray fervently) because everything & all things can go south at any time in a sec". Those were are words anytime she enquired about how my business was going with regards to agriculture. Believe me now my people, farming is highly spiritual and you certainly must believe in God or whatever works for you to tackle the spiritual aspect of it.

Sometimes in second quarter of last year I engaged in a massive project which involved me soliciting for funds & even went as far as getting loans to carry the successful running of the project. It was a contract I secured to raise a large quantity of birds for just 3-4weeks max of age before offloading to the buyers. Everything was set and the project commenced successfully. It was so successful that in a batch of a thousand broilers, we recorded just 12 mortality at the 3 weeks of raising them. I was so satisfied that I boasted like the one who built the titanic that nothing could sink this ship.

Then Nigeria happened

In the 3rd week of raising the birds, the buyers suddenly compromised on our deal and told me they had to slash on the agreed price. I was furious and refused to renegotiate with them. C'mon this was concluded deal I fumed at them. For the first time in my life, I regretted not putting legal structure in place. The negotiations went on and on and before I knew it, the birds were in their 5th week. At this point in time, I was expending unbudgeted funds on the project running into thousands. I already made up my mind to hell with them, I had to the means to turn the whole disadvantage to my success.

the devil came
After much persuasion and urging me to sell at a ridiculous price to them, they came visiting this final day saying that they knew the funds to raise such number of birds was above me (Thanks to family ooo), and I should stop being stubborn and just part with at least some; then one of them just said; Mr. Jide, if you don't sell to us all your birds go die oooo. Immediately, I and my partner on ground rebuked him and that was it.

Lo and behold, in less than 2 days birds wey die ehn!!!! I repeat, birds wey die ehn... I was afraid. Everything proved abortive. Nothing worked. (My people, I visit vet I taya. Test upon test no worked). ALL was lost. It was a disaster. At this point, I had spent millions & I was using my hand to bury my millions.

Series of events followed. The worker on my farm taking care of my goats & pigs resigned without my knowledge. He simply wrote a note on a piece of paper and put it at the entrance of my gate. Unfortunately, I didn't go to the farm for 3 weeks (I was trying to salvage the situation of the other project). I only did realise something was wrong when I got a call from the supplier of spent grains that I haven't been coming patronize her again, saying I have gotten another customer abi? I was stunned. Another customer bawo? I called my worker, he wasn't answering....to cut long story short. I got to the farm and tears started rolling down my cheeks when I saw what was left. At a point, I was asking myself, so na only 1% of Job's ordeal be this ooo!!! How e take endure?

To tell the truth, I lost everything... (God bless my friends I swear). Iyawo was a pillar in it all. She just kept praying and thanking God while I was angry at Him.

I put up so many things for sale (God no go allow us dey sell our property because of trouble ooo), at least, I go sha pay people back their money and pay off my loan debt.

Moreover, I had to stay away from a lot of things including social media and the likes. Debts come full ground yakata grin grin. I had to channel my chi into staying alive and staying healthy, na who dey alive dey get hope ooo. Once again, God bless my family (I tried putting up an all is well face, realising it was never a crime to ask for help) who intervened in their own little ways.

So far
Well, so far so good. Haven't ventured into anything farming this year. I recently visited my farmland last week since last year and I literally had a good laugh. Maybe, I will be hunting grasscutters & snakes for a while before kickstarting again.

Nevertheless, I have been to learn alot from this experience which i will be starting later.

With regards to that particular man & his unterrance, I did confront him (Another epistle).

My absconded worker case dey Area K police station. Nevertheless, I have forgiven him and moved pass the situation. All can be recovered so long grace abounds and His breath remains in me.

The heart of man is desperately wicked. All I can see here is how people have evil hearts. This is one of the things that scares me about starting my own farm. People are just so thoughtless and stupid.
I don't even want to imagine the mental anguish you must have passed through. I'm glad your social support is strong, and so is your faith.

My parents had a chicken farm at some point, and I can relate with your experience.
You see that worker that locked your gate and left? Please make sure he spends time in jail, anyhow you can.
Welcome back bro. You will rise again.

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by IamAsiri: 10:36pm On Jul 03, 2022
jidestroud:
My Story

Then Nigeria happened

the devil came

So far
Well, so far so good, i haven't ventured into anything farming this year. I recently visited my farmland last week since last year and I literally had a good laugh. Maybe, I will be hunting grasscutters & snakes for a while before kickstarting again.

Nevertheless, I have been able to learn alot from this experience which i will be stating later.

I knew something was wrong! I was so restless anytime I thought about how you went AWOL that I just felt I should call you. Unfortunately, the telegram account you gave was not going (I tried to reach out to you via the platform). I even went to the extent of searching for you on Facebook and even LinkedIn. I didn't get a headway until I tried my James Bond skills to get your number on the pictures of your packages. I tried calling you for like a month before I gave up, hoping that you were fine and that you probably travelled out of the country.

The Lord will restore all that you have lost and even more in Jesus name. The Bible says, "when the Lord restored the captivity of Zion, it was like they were dreaming". This will be your testimony in Jesus name. You will bounce back and better and He will make you forget the things of the past in Jesus name.

You will experience God's unquantifiable blessings in this second half of this year in Jesus name, Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:08am On Jul 09, 2022
Starting a vegetable farm with little resources. Remember to Subscribe, like and share with others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kamXE-X2nw
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:10am On Jul 09, 2022
jidestroud:
My Story

Then Nigeria happened

the devil came

So far
Well, so far so good, i haven't ventured into anything farming this year. I recently visited my farmland last week since last year and I literally had a good laugh. Maybe, I will be hunting grasscutters & snakes for a while before kickstarting again.

Nevertheless, I have been able to learn alot from this experience which i will be stating later.

God can restore all if you don't give up
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by FarmTech(m): 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2022
jidestroud:
My Story

Then Nigeria happened

the devil came

So far

So sad men. May God be your strength.

3 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:11am On Jul 13, 2022
FarmTech:

So sad men. May God be your strength.
Amen.
It is well Boss. cool
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:12am On Jul 13, 2022
excelsiorfarm:
God can restore all if you don't give up
Sure. Absolutely certain.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:14am On Jul 19, 2022
It's such a pleasant day. I'm feeling a little motivated and pumped up to grow a few things.

A pilot project loading.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:03am On Jul 19, 2022
For those trying to reach me, my contacts are back & running...

Email: iclones@hotmail.com
Telegram: h t t p s : / / t . m e /RockkLeei
That's Username RockkLeei (on telegram)
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:24pm On Jul 29, 2022
Great news... was able to secure another deal.
Good To be back. I guess grace still speaks after All. grin

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by WhatCanIsay(m): 2:30pm On Jul 30, 2022
jidestroud:
Great news... was able to secure another deal.
Good To be back. I guess grace still speaks after All. grin

I wanted to read something away from news on Nairaland, I stumbled on your threads, the bird farming and this. Both kept me engaged from morning till now.

I marveled on what we can achieve when we put our minds into something. I smiled whenever you had a good harvest, and felt bad whenever you had setbacks. But even in feeling bad for your setbacks, I smiled knowing you MUST pull through.

It was heartbreaking to see how you nearly lost all at the pinnacle of your achievements, but our people say, "Nke m ji ka"; that which I have is the greatest, LIFE.

You started with below ₦7,000 5 years ago, life and human beings happened. Start again. Whatever it is you are starting again, I assure you with everything in me, you will surely SUCCEED. I gaghị akwọcha aka tiere ọkụkọ aki! Mba nụ! May the spirit of your mother guide and guard all you put your hands into! My brother it is well with you! You have the good spirits of all that smiled and got encouraged fr your thread at your back!

Congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:18pm On Jul 30, 2022
WhatCanIsay:

I wanted to read something away from news on Nairaland, I stumbled on your threads, the bird farming and this. Both kept me engaged from morning till now.

I marveled on what we can achieve when we put our minds into something. I smiled whenever you had a good harvest, and felt bad whenever you had setbacks. But even in feeling bad for your setbacks, I smiled knowing you MUST pull through.

It was heartbreaking to see how you nearly lost all at the pinnacle of your achievements, but our people say, "Nke m ji ka"; that which I have is the greatest, LIFE.

You started with below ₦7,000 5 years ago, life and human beings happened. Start again. Whatever it is you are starting again, I assure you with everything in me, you will surely SUCCEED. I gaghị akwọcha aka tiere ọkụkọ aki! Mba nụ! May the spirit of your mother guide and guard all you put your hands into! My brother it is well with you! You have the good spirits of all that smiled and got encouraged fr your thread at your back!

Congratulations.
Feedbacks like this are the very reasons why I can't just call it quit. Naija tough, Naija tough, but the opportunities are abundant despite all the hardships.

Thanks & God bless!!!

5 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by adeolaben(m): 9:34am On Dec 27, 2022
I
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 5:53pm On Dec 25, 2023
Merry Christmas... cool grin
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Masonpesfin: 8:45am On Mar 21
Oga goodmorning sir. I appreciate this your great initiative. How can i get your contact sir?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Masonpesfin: 8:48am On Mar 21
Oga goodmorning sir. I appreciate this your great initiative. How can i get your contact sir?[color=#006600][/color]

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.