Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,038 members, 7,814,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu (33276 Views)

Photos From Vice Presidential Debate As Obi Clashes With Osinbajo. See Reactions / Dino Melaye Prostrates For Oyedepo, Pictured With Osinbajo, GEJ At Dunamis / Aisha Buhari Returns From UK, Says Buhari is Happy With Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by sarrki(m): 4:21am On Apr 16, 2017
Leke Baiyewu

Strong indications have emerged that members of the Senate are angry with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo over his recent comment that the appointment of Mr. Ibrahim Magu as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission did not need legislative approval.

Osinbajo’s comment, going by the reactions gathered from senators on Saturday, may frustrate the reconciliatory move by the Presidency on the recent crisis between the executive and the legislature.

The lawmakers also hinted that the Senate may seek the help of the judiciary on the enforcement of its rejection of Magu.

According to them, the upper chamber of the National Assembly may need to approach the judiciary for the correct interpretation of the rejection of Magu’s nomination.

Some of those who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH said they were already studying the provisions of the constitution to prove that the acting EFCC chairman should be removed.

They specifically said they wanted to determine who was right on Magu between the executive and the legislature.

The Senate had twice rejected Magu’s nomination by President Muhammadu, citing a security report by the Department of State Services, which indicted the nominee.

The lawmakers had said the rejection of Magu meant that he could not continue to act in the capacity.

But Osinbajo, last week, ruled out the possibility of President Buhari replacing Magu with another nominee. He said the President did not find the DSS report, which is the basis for Magu’s rejection, a strong reason to replace him.

According to the Vice President, despite being rejected twice, the government was still at liberty to renominate Magu.

Senator Shehu Sani (APC/Kaduna Central) berated Osinbajo for his comment, when he was leading a peace committee seeking to manage the crisis between the two arms of government.

He said, “As far as I am concerned, given his position as the chairman of the reconciliation committee, he should have concentrated on ensuring harmony and mobilising support from the Senate, other than making further statements that may further worsen the situation.”

Similarly, Senator Chukwuka Utazi (PDP/Enugu North) faulted Osinbajo, saying, “Any lawyer who says that what the Senate did or its stand is unconstitutional is not telling the whole truth; it is half-truth,” he said.

Utazi, who is the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Anti-Corruption and Financial Crimes, which has the oversight of the EFCC, stated that Section 60 of the Constitution empowered the Senate to take its action on Magu.

Also, Senator Mao Ohuabunwa (PDP/Abia North) said he was studying what the provisions of the EFCC Act on nomination and confirmation of the agency’s chairman.

He said, “I want to clarify the fact about whether we have the powers to say he shouldn’t act (as chairman of EFCC) because acting appointment is within the powers of the executive. Ours is to confirm the nominee and make the appointment substantive. And I don’t think there is anything in the Act that talks about acting. That is their business.”

In his submission, Senator Rafiu Ibrahim (APC/Kwara South) said Osinbajo spoke as the Vice President and not the President. He said the Senate would take a step when Buhari himself speaks on Magu.

“The Vice President is not the President. We are waiting for the President,” he said.

Also speaking, Senator Isiaka Adeleke (APC/Osun West) said it was the prerogative of Buhari to appoint Magu and that of the Senate to confirm or reject the appointment.

The Chairman, Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Sabi Abdullahi, could not be reached for the position of the Senate on the Presidency’s insistence on Magu. The spokesman was said to be on pilgrimage to Saudi

http://punchng.com/senators-angry-with-osinbajo-for-supporting-magu/

2 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by sarrki(m): 4:23am On Apr 16, 2017
Anyone working against the state and against the masses will die of anger

182 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by madridguy(m): 4:33am On Apr 16, 2017
It is now obvious why the rogues are against Magu.

145 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Aufbauh(m): 4:47am On Apr 16, 2017
The senators should go and hang themselves for all i care.

Prof. Osinbajo (SAN) position is a probable constitutional authority. If they are not satisfied they should approach the supreme court for interpretation as the burden of proof is on them.

Section 171(1) of the 1999 constitution as amended has bring to nullity the EFCC act they are sole relying upon to the extent of its inconsistent.

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Atiku2019: 4:54am On Apr 16, 2017
Dictatorial Government is all i see cool

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by sarrki(m): 5:08am On Apr 16, 2017
Atiku2019:
Dictatorial Government is all i see cool

Please tell us what is dictatorial about it

Do they should allow the Senate house of crooks to take over ?

Please always think of Nigeria first

154 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by cosmatika(m): 5:13am On Apr 16, 2017
Wen BMCs open a thread in support of their paymasters, they want to bully everyone into swallowing their opinions, hook line & sinker. The she-male does it most followed by d one that opened dis thread

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by potent5(m): 5:25am On Apr 16, 2017
Hypocritical pastor Osinbajo. The wolf is killing the sheep you are supposed to protect all over the country and you say and do nothing. I just hope you will still find a sheep to lead when you leave office and return to the church.

As a professor of constitutional law Osinbajo couldn't understand the implications of section 171 of the 1999 Constitution; he waited for Falana or whoever to educate (mislead) him, at his professorial age!

All these professors sef.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Nobody: 5:27am On Apr 16, 2017
So all these while they are yet to understudy the provision of the constitution regards to nomination and approval of EFCC Chairman

The Chairman, Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Sabi Abdullahi, abandoned his senatorial duty for personal religious matters ...hmmm

this country is a big joke seriously

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by BeardedMeat(m): 5:27am On Apr 16, 2017
BMC masturbating even on Easter Sunday.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by sarrki(m): 5:29am On Apr 16, 2017
potent5:
Hypocritical pastor Osinbajo. The wolf is killing the sheep you are supposed to protect all over the country and you say and do nothing. I just hope you will still find a sheep to lead when you leave office and return to the church.

As a professor of constitutional law Osinbajo couldn't understand the implications of section 171 of the 1999 Constitution; he waited for Falana or whoever to educate (mislead) him, at his professorial age!

All these professors sef.

Wailers knows the constitution than any one

But will only take the ones that favors them

89 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Nutase: 6:04am On Apr 16, 2017
Buhari and senators don plan to comot osinbade and he took the bait.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Homeboiy: 6:20am On Apr 16, 2017
Like osibanjo like senators
all are thieves

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by modath(f): 6:23am On Apr 16, 2017
Magu ia here to stay.. SINators just wasting their "hate".

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Nobody: 6:30am On Apr 16, 2017
Magu will remain as EFCC chairman till 2019. If the SINators arnt satisfied, they can use the lagoon or get a cheap N100 rope.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by diablos: 6:31am On Apr 16, 2017
Osibanjo u no go park well abi...Just stay out ot Magus misery and badluck before u taint yourself with aura of failure surrounding your master and his appointees.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by omowolewa: 6:35am On Apr 16, 2017
There is no need for the anger, just wait for re-presentation of Magu"s name.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by menxer: 6:38am On Apr 16, 2017
Aufbauh:

Prof. Osinbajo (SAN) position is a probable constitutional authority. If they are not satisfied they should approach the supreme court for interpretation as the burden of proof is on them.

Section 171(1) of the 1999 constitution as amended has bring to nullity the EFCC act they are sole relying upon to the extent of its inconsistent.

My Broda, I was looking out for a comment from any of the senators in line with the bolded, but they are all rambling about EFCC act.
Imagine one saying the VP's position on the matter is not the President's position.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Mentcee(m): 6:43am On Apr 16, 2017
Aufbauh:

People can now see the kind of people we argue with daily on Nairaland.

God forbid.

9 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Mentcee(m): 6:45am On Apr 16, 2017
sarrki:

Please tell us what is dictatorial about it

Do they should allow the Senate house of crooks to take over ?

Please always think of Nigeria first

This is one of them

5 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by persius555(m): 6:46am On Apr 16, 2017
BlackAfrican:
Magu will remain as EFCC chairman till 2019. If the SINators arnt satisfied, they can use the lagoon or get a cheap N100 rope.

The same way saraki has stubbornly remained senate president, right?

Lol grin. Nigeria is daily becoming a joke. We are really setting a bad precedence in this country.

6 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by mykeljosef: 6:51am On Apr 16, 2017
of coz

corruption is so rampant

APC= PDP

sometimes I remember that guy that said they should do mass burial for our politicians...n i pray for him...n i say amen to his request

God :- Nigerian politicians (read the sign)

Nigerian Politicians :- the popo inna picture

for those whose Brain haven't clicked the "here" represent the masses lives

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Lescalier: 7:19am On Apr 16, 2017
I am also not happy with him.
Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by omenkaLives(m): 7:28am On Apr 16, 2017
If only these idiots know how angry Nigerians are with them.

NASS, #ShowUsYourBudget!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by donmalcolm21(m): 8:04am On Apr 16, 2017
modath:

Sister where have you been for long? It seemsBMC have not been paying so you had to relax

.welcome back. I really missed you

3 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by donmalcolm21(m): 8:05am On Apr 16, 2017
Aufbauh:

So Osibanjo SAN has a higher hierarchy to other SAN

ZoneB are the worst ever

3 Likes

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by modath(f): 8:39am On Apr 16, 2017
omenkaLives:
If only these idiots know how angry Nigerians are with them.

NASS, #ShowUsYourBudget!!

Happy Easter.
Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Sammiejokes(m): 8:43am On Apr 16, 2017
donmalcolm21:
So Osibanjo SAN has a higher hierarchy to other SAN

ZoneB are the worst ever
Yes and yes. you need to watch more global politics. association of robbers. NA budget 100b, details not available. only in naija

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:45am On Apr 16, 2017
The best thing is for the Senate to approach the Supreme Court for interpretation of the matter. Osinbajo's position remains a personal opinion as long as this subject is concerned.

1 Like

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by ayamback: 8:48am On Apr 16, 2017
modath:

haaaaaa mo mo my sweetheart kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Angry With Osinbajo For Supporting Magu by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 16, 2017
k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It Time To Change The IGP? / Can Nnamdi Kanu Lose His UK Citizenship? / Osinbajo, Governors, SGF Attend Emir Of Kano’s Coronation (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.