Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,073 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles (44486 Views)

5 Greatest Insults In Footballing World / FIFA Awards: Captains And Coaches Claim They Did Not Vote For Messi / 2018 World Cup : Meet The 32 Captains Leading Their Teams Into Battle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by aribisala0(m): 7:15pm On Apr 19, 2017
chukagates:
oga am not talking of World cup am talking of OLYMPICS GAMES when nigeria won brazil 3-0 in 1994 KANU NWANKWOR WAS CAPTAIN THEN!! STP TRYING TO CONFUSE YOURSELF!!!!
You are the one confusing yourself,It was 1996 not 1994 yes Kanu was captain just like he was captain when we won the under 17 a few years earlier what has any of that got to do with the Super Eagles which is a completely different team.If you had any intelligence you would figure out why I brought up the 1998 World Cup.That was where Kanu had his introduction to competitive play in the senior team.under the captaincy of Uche Okechukwu
Before that Kanu was an under 23 player and captain

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by brightology3: 7:20pm On Apr 19, 2017
voicelez:
Long live PMB
long live Nigeria

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by SweetyZinta(f): 7:21pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02:

lol grin
Olga's baby daddy is busy with the kids while others are making history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wel7EcUQk58
grin grin grin
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by SweetyZinta(f): 7:21pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02:

lol grin
Olga's baby daddy is busy with the kids while others are making history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wel7EcUQk58
grin grin grin
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Mathematical(f): 7:33pm On Apr 19, 2017

Good job op

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by chukagates(m): 7:34pm On Apr 19, 2017
aribisala0:

You are the one confusing yourself,It was 1996 not 1994 yes Kanu was captain just like he was captain when we won the under 17 a few years earlier what has any of that got to do with the Super Eagles which is a completely different team.If you had any intelligence you would figure out why I brought up the 1998 World Cup.That was where Kanu had his introduction to competitive play in the senior team.under the captaincy of Uche Okechukwu
Before that Kanu was an under 23 player and captain
oga yes its 1996 that was my mistake!but stop trying to twist the argument are u well?? KANU CAPTAINED NIGERIAN TEAM IN THE OLYMPICS GAMES AGAINST BRAZIL!! thats the argument stop trying to be smart!! i know that there are FLYING EAGLES,GREEN EAGLES,SUPER EAGLES .. all of them are Nigerian teams under different grades .. stop trying to use SUPER EAGLES TO CONFUSE ME!!
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Caveatemptor(m): 7:39pm On Apr 19, 2017
seniorkachion:

Which state did Rufai hail from and in what year did Muda captain the team.

Muda Laval became captain after Segun Odegbami's short tenure.
Odegbami succeeded Christian Church after he retired after winning the 1980 Nations cup but returned for the 1981 world cup qualifier against Algeria in Lagos.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by aribisala0(m): 7:42pm On Apr 19, 2017
chukagates:
oga yes its 1996 that was my mistake!but stop trying to twist the argument are u well?? KANU CAPTAINED NIGERIAN TEAM IN THE OLYMPICS GAMES AGAINST BRAZIL!! thats the argument stop trying to be smart!! i know that there are FLYING EAGLES,GREEN EAGLES,SUPER EAGLES .. all of them are Nigerian teams under different grades .. stop trying to use SUPER EAGLES TO CONFUSE ME!!

What is the title of this thread
Must you contribute?

you are an illiterate get out of my face
Go and lock your shop
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by chukagates(m): 7:47pm On Apr 19, 2017
aribisala0:

What is the title of this thread
Must you contribute?

you are an illiterate get out of my face
Go and lock your shop
mumu Ode big fool educated monkey what was the cause of our argument??
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Caveatemptor(m): 7:54pm On Apr 19, 2017
chukagates:

The 1996 Olympics team was a under 23 team comprising over aged players like Uche Okechukwu, andDaniel Amokachie. Kanu was the captain quite right but that team was not Super Eagles,it was an under 23 team.
Kanu later captained the Super Eagles when Okocha retired.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by aribisala0(m): 7:57pm On Apr 19, 2017
chukagates:
my mother is a mumu Ode big fool educated monkey?
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Caveatemptor(m): 8:02pm On Apr 19, 2017
In my personal opinion Christian Chukwu was the best centre back and captain I have ever watched in the Super Eagles. He was always so composed in the defence when he partnered Godwin Odiye and later Tunde Bamidele
He had a wicked shot in both legs. He also was a free kick taker as well as a penalty kick taker.
I wish NTA could produce some of the video's of his games when he was still playing.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Drienzia: 8:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02:

1. Kanu Nwankwo was Nigeria captain to the Atlanta Olympics winning team in 1996.

2. Nigeria's Super Eagles coach, Lars Lagerback, named Nwankwo Kanu Nigeria captaint to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and Nwankwo Kanu, it was Kanus third World Cup.

http://ngex.com/news/public/newsinfo.php?nid=8918

3. he steeped down as captain 6 june 2011 after quitting the national team

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/84/africa/2011/06/17/2536066/nwankwo-kanu-calls-it-quits-from-football-long-live-the
KANU being a captain in s Olympics doesn't make him a captain of the national team. as a matter of fact, the Olympic competition is mainly for under 21 players, then, kanu was still a kid. .he became the captain of the national team late after okocha's retirement
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by klexycole(m): 8:37pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02:
so guys who will you consider as the greatest or who will you add to the list
for me its Keshi, keshi, keshi grin

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01, Icon4s, TheGoodJoe,

I vote for KESHI!!! His death still dey pain me till tomorrow embarassed cry
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by seniorkachion(m): 8:52pm On Apr 19, 2017
Caveatemptor:

Muda Laval became captain after Segun Odegbami's short tenure.
Odegbami succeeded Christian Church after he retired after winning the 1980 Nations cup but returned for the 1981 world cup qualifier against Algeria in Lagos.
Thanks for the update. There was some trouble in the camp of the Green Eagles after Algeria beat Nigeria in Lagos in a 1982 World Cup Qualifier. Odegbami was removed in controversial manner. I couldn't remember who took over from him. Now you have put things in perspective.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Kitanadex(m): 8:59pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02:
Yobo is a former Nigeria international, who has been capped 101 times and represented the Super Eagles at three FIFA World Cups and six Africa Cup of Nations tournaments.

After participating in Nigeria's run to the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship quarter-finals, Yobo made his senior international debut against Zambia in a 2002 FIFA World Cup qualifier on 24 March 2001. He played in all six of the team's matches in the 2002 Africa Cup of Nations and was included in the squad for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he was again ever-present, assisting Julius Aghahowa's goal in a 2–1 loss to Sweden.

Yobo made his second World Cup appearance at the 2010 tournament in South Africa, after which he assumed the captaincy on the international retirement of Nwankwo Kanu. The veteran defender was no longer a first choice player at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, but lifted the trophy after appearing as an 89th-minute substitute in Nigeria's 1–0 final defeat of Burkina Faso.

In June 2014, Yobo was included in Stephen Keshi's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He was named in the starting line-up for both the second and third group matches, helping the Super Eagles to clean sheet in a 1–0 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina. On 30 June, he made his 100th international appearance, captaining Nigeria against France in the round of 16. After scoring an own goal in the 2–0 defeat, Yobo announced his international retirement, saying: "This is it. I can look back on my career with great pride. I wanted to leave on a high for my country. Defeat by France was not the right way to go but I'm happy with all I've done for the national team. It's time to give a chance to other people to come through."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yobo
What of Jay Jay Okocha, abeg complete the list
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Caveatemptor(m): 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2017
seniorkachion:

Thanks for the update. There was some trouble in the camp of the Green Eagles after Algeria beat Nigeria in Lagos in a 1982 World Cup Qualifier. Odegbami was removed in controversial manner. I couldn't remember who took over from him. Now you have put things in perspective.

There was a report he was always sneaking out of camp to go and enjoy big stout and babes before matches with Best Ogedengbe and always pretending to be injured during training.

Muda Laval who at that time was his captain at IICC shooting stars ft now 3SC was made captain to replace him. Odegbami retired from the team soon after. Christian Chukwu retired the second time after the defeat by Algeria at the National stadium Surulere.
We lost 2-0 in Lagos and I think we lost 2-1 in Algiers or Constantinople? (So long ago.)
I think the coach dropped all the top players for that second leg.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by seniorkachion(m): 9:14pm On Apr 19, 2017
chukagates:
oga i knw what am saying kanu captained nigeria when they won the olympic games!!!

The discussion is about the captains of the Super Eagles. The discussion was not about the Olympic Teams captains so it was needless to start talking about the OT. Moreover your earlier post was an answer to a question from a NLander who asked if Kanu captained the SE and when. You can see you derailed from the topic.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by seniorkachion(m): 9:22pm On Apr 19, 2017
Caveatemptor:

There was a report he was always sneaking out of camp to go and enjoy big stout and babes before matches with Best Ogedengbe and always pretending to be injured during training.

Muda Laval who at that time was his captain at IICC shooting stars ft now 3SC was made captain to replace him. Odegbami retired from the team soon after. Christian Chukwu retired the second time after the defeat by Algeria at the National stadium Surulere.
We lost 2-0 in Lagos and I think we lost 2-1 in Algiers or Constantinople? (So long ago.)
I think the coach dropped all the top players for that second leg.
Excellent account. The second leg was at Constantine. I watched it live..
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 9:45pm On Apr 19, 2017
captain fantastic.......... aka big boss goal

Senegal 92

Senegal 1 vs 2 Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5R6BE_NbtA
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Aremu01(m): 9:47pm On Apr 19, 2017
These are legends Where is Jay jay
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by shadrach77: 10:05pm On Apr 19, 2017
seniorkachion:

Which state did Rufai hail from and in what year did Muda captain the team.

Rufai is from Idimu in Lagos State. His father was a King. Mud a captained the team around 1983 - 1986

1 Like

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 10:56pm On Apr 19, 2017
super eagles Captains from 1980 till date (2017)

1. Christian Chukwu 1980
2. Segun Odegbami1982
3. Muda Lawal 1983 1984
4. Stephen keshi 1982 -1994
5. Aloy Agu 1990
6. Peter Rufai 1994 -1998
7. Augustine egwavon 1995- 1997
8. Uche Okechukwu 1997-1999
9. Sunday Oliseh 1998-2002
10.Austin Okocha 2002 -2008
11. Kanu Nwankwo 2010 – 2011
12. Joseph Yobo 2010 – 2014
13.Vincent Enyeama 2013 – 2015
14. Ahmed Musa October2015 - May 2016
15. Mikel Obi May2016 – till date

1 Like

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Homers123(m): 12:37am On Apr 20, 2017
robosky02:
4. Nwankwo Kanu

Nwankwo Kanu, OON (born 1 August 1976), or simply Kanu, is a retired Nigerian footballer who played as a forward. He was a member of and later captained the Nigerian national team for 16 years from 1994 until 2010. Kanu is a member of the Igbo ethnic group; his name, Nwankwo, means Child born on Nkwo market day in the Igbo language.

Kanu was a member of the Nigerian national team from 1994 to 2010, making his debut in friendly against Sweden. Earlier on at the start of his career, Kanu was instrumental in Nigeria's overall success at the 1993 FIFA U-17 tournament in Japan and their subsequent 2–1 victory over Ghana in the final. With five goals, he was second joint-scorer in the tournament with Peter Anosike and Manuel Neira, behind compatriot and Captain Wilson Oruma.

As well as winning the Olympic gold in the football event at 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, where he scored the winning goal in the 4-3 semi-final win over Brazil, Kanu participated in the 1998 and 2002 FIFA World Cups. On 24 June 2010, Kanu ended his international career following

Nigeria's exit from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Nigeria lost their group matches against Argentina and Greece, before a 2–2 draw with South Korea ended their stay in the tournament. He won 86 caps and scored 13 goals for his country and was the joint most capped Nigerian player of all-time alongside Muda Lawal, until Joseph Yobo surpassed both players in 2012, winning his 87th cap.
Kanu didn't captained the Super Eagles for 16years.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Chinagurum1995(m): 3:32am On Apr 20, 2017
Hmmm this Nigerian footballer is a hero one of the greatest captain in Naija. grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olga Allegra In Bikini, Enjoys Vacation With Family / Cristiano Ronaldo Given Five Matches Ban For Pushing Referee In Sunday Elclasico / 'Players Are Dropping Like Flies’ - EPL Told To Cancel Games Ahead Of Qatar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.