Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles (44434 Views)

5 Greatest Insults In Footballing World / FIFA Awards: Captains And Coaches Claim They Did Not Vote For Messi / 2018 World Cup : Meet The 32 Captains Leading Their Teams Into Battle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 3:00pm On Apr 19, 2017
ETIM HENSHAW – First Captain of the Nigerian Team

Etim Henshaw was a notable Nigerian football player who was skipper of Marine FC when the football club won the first Nigerian F.A. cup. He was also the captain of the Nigerian team that toured England in 1949. After the tour along with another notable player, Teslim Balogun, he was able to generate interest among English teams especially from a Cardiff football club.

He died in the city of Calabar, the capital of Cross River State, Nigeria at the ripe old age of 89

http://nigerianwiki.com/Etim_Henshaw

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2017
2. Christian Chukwu

Christian Chukwu Okoro (born 4 January 1951) is a Nigerian football former player and former national team coach. A defender in his playing days, he captained the Nigeria national team to its first win in the African Nations Cup.

As a player, he became the captain of Enugu Rangers football club and the Nigeria national team in the late 1970s. He was the first Nigerian captain to lift the African Nations Cup trophy after a 3-0 victory over Algeria in the final of the 1980 tournament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Chukwu

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 3:17pm On Apr 19, 2017
3. Stephen Okechukwu Keshi (23 January 1962 – 7 June 2016) was a Nigerian football defender (captain) and manager.

During his playing career, Keshi earned 60 caps for the Nigerian national football team, making him the nation's second-most capped player at the time of his retirement. He represented the country at the 1994 FIFA World Cup and the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations, captaining the Super Eagles to victory in the latter. He also played club football in five countries, most notably Belgium, where he won the Belgian league championship with R.S.C. Anderlecht in 1991.[3]

As a manager, Keshi achieved success by qualifying Togo for the only FIFA World Cup appearance in its history in 2006.[4] However, he left the position prior to the tournament and was replaced by Otto Pfister. He later coached his native Nigeria, where he became one of only two people, along with Egypt's Mahmoud El-Gohary, to have won the Africa Cup of Nations as both a player and a coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Keshi

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by SweetyZinta(f): 3:23pm On Apr 19, 2017
keep the list coming

I can't see papilo JJ okocha or Olga's baby Daddy
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 3:34pm On Apr 19, 2017
4. Nwankwo Kanu

Nwankwo Kanu, OON (born 1 August 1976), or simply Kanu, is a retired Nigerian footballer who played as a forward. He was a member of and later captained the Nigerian national team for 16 years from 1994 until 2010. Kanu is a member of the Igbo ethnic group; his name, Nwankwo, means Child born on Nkwo market day in the Igbo language.

Kanu was a member of the Nigerian national team from 1994 to 2010, making his debut in friendly against Sweden. Earlier on at the start of his career, Kanu was instrumental in Nigeria's overall success at the 1993 FIFA U-17 tournament in Japan and their subsequent 2–1 victory over Ghana in the final. With five goals, he was second joint-scorer in the tournament with Peter Anosike and Manuel Neira, behind compatriot and Captain Wilson Oruma.

As well as winning the Olympic gold in the football event at 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, where he scored the winning goal in the 4-3 semi-final win over Brazil, Kanu participated in the 1998 and 2002 FIFA World Cups. On 24 June 2010, Kanu ended his international career following

Nigeria's exit from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Nigeria lost their group matches against Argentina and Greece, before a 2–2 draw with South Korea ended their stay in the tournament. He won 86 caps and scored 13 goals for his country and was the joint most capped Nigerian player of all-time alongside Muda Lawal, until Joseph Yobo surpassed both players in 2012, winning his 87th cap.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 3:45pm On Apr 19, 2017
Yobo is a former Nigeria international, who has been capped 101 times and represented the Super Eagles at three FIFA World Cups and six Africa Cup of Nations tournaments.

After participating in Nigeria's run to the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship quarter-finals, Yobo made his senior international debut against Zambia in a 2002 FIFA World Cup qualifier on 24 March 2001. He played in all six of the team's matches in the 2002 Africa Cup of Nations and was included in the squad for the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he was again ever-present, assisting Julius Aghahowa's goal in a 2–1 loss to Sweden.

Yobo made his second World Cup appearance at the 2010 tournament in South Africa, after which he assumed the captaincy on the international retirement of Nwankwo Kanu. The veteran defender was no longer a first choice player at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, but lifted the trophy after appearing as an 89th-minute substitute in Nigeria's 1–0 final defeat of Burkina Faso.

In June 2014, Yobo was included in Stephen Keshi's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He was named in the starting line-up for both the second and third group matches, helping the Super Eagles to clean sheet in a 1–0 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina. On 30 June, he made his 100th international appearance, captaining Nigeria against France in the round of 16. After scoring an own goal in the 2–0 defeat, Yobo announced his international retirement, saying: "This is it. I can look back on my career with great pride. I wanted to leave on a high for my country. Defeat by France was not the right way to go but I'm happy with all I've done for the national team. It's time to give a chance to other people to come through."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yobo

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by robosky02(m): 4:17pm On Apr 19, 2017
so guys who will you consider as the greatest or who will you add to the list
for me its Keshi, keshi, keshi grin

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01, Icon4s, TheGoodJoe,

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Icon4s(m): 4:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02 u have come again.
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by ishowdotgmail(m): 4:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
Make I siddon read something
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Flashh: 4:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
The poster below, just vex me now sha. angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by geokay777(m): 4:24pm On Apr 19, 2017
Mikel nko biko undecided

1 Like

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Partnerbiz(f): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2017
Those days when we still had players. Not chewing gum players now.

Shey Etoo been play for Super eagles that yr.

Make i run first.

See below pls. See testimonies of those who bought in that link.

Tnx
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by voicelez: 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2017
Long live PMB
long live Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by omofunaab(m): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2017
What about Segun odegbami?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by sanandreas(m): 4:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
Christian chukwu really did well both as player and coach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by aribisala0(m): 4:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
Was Kanu Captain? When

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Drienzia: 4:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
When was KANU captain?
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by crackerspub: 4:26pm On Apr 19, 2017
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Icon4s(m): 4:27pm On Apr 19, 2017
robosky02:
so guys who will you consider as the greatest or who will you add to the list
for me its Keshi, keshi, keshi grin

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01, Icon4s, TheGoodJoe,

Hahahaha, Nigeria's best captain was DA BOSSSSSSSS, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi. Second is CHAIRMAN, Christian Chukwu.
These were highly influential captains who even ended up as Super Eagles coaches.

On that top 5 list I would replace Kanu Nwankwo with Sunday Oliseh.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Omotayor123(f): 4:27pm On Apr 19, 2017
See Mikel pee-peegrin :-x tongue

Awon captain of lifecheesy
Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by flair1: 4:27pm On Apr 19, 2017
nice

1 Like

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
Keshi All The Way

1 Like

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Icon4s(m): 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
aribisala0:
Was Kanu Captain? When

When Jay-Jay Okocha retired who became captain?

5 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by sommyblaze(m): 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
I see no brown roof Captain. reporting For. NCAN Awka Anambra chapter

20 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by RexEmmyGee: 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2017
Only two female viewers. It it's telenovela now, all the females will be viewing

2 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by babyfaceafrica: 4:29pm On Apr 19, 2017
Forget his manners..oliseh is a very good captain..so also segun odegbami

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by shadrach77: 4:29pm On Apr 19, 2017
List not complete without Peter Rufai cry cry

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by KevinDein: 4:30pm On Apr 19, 2017
Nice...

But I reckon Vincent Enyeama was a decent captain, and should be in there in place of Nwankwo Kanu. Kanu was a great footballer no doubt but he wasn't really what you'll call a leader.

4 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:30pm On Apr 19, 2017
Proudly Igbo.
Proudly 5%

8 Likes

Re: The 5 Greatest Captains Of Nigeria Super Eagles by Cyberrex(m): 4:31pm On Apr 19, 2017
you forgot mikel, jay jay ni, my greatest skipper will be keshi

modified: the greatest 5, I thought all captains

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Footballer Slumps, Dies During Match In Anambra (Video) / Lionel Messi, His Wife And Two Sons (Photo) / Obafemi Martins Visits Ooni Ogunwusi - Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.