Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,921 members, 7,956,457 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! (34995 Views)

How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / Rocks Quest FM/TV Presenters Sacked Over Sexual Harassment / Be Careful Where You Sit At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by mikolo80: 2:55am On Apr 23, 2017
mmsen:

I do but clearly you do not.

You seem to know what injustice and discrimination mean. As well as immoral and thoughtless.

Nigeria clearly needs more like you...

you sabi use dictionary so.?
a brave man WILL man up and stare the woman down on a table or in a court of law. his choice. but lamenting like Lil beach is not. get it now
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 23, 2017
mikolo80:
who told you it's a lawless country. even Somalia gas laws. just that they are unwritten. find the laws find the redress.
I'm a Nigerian and I know exactly what I'm saying. Tell me the usefulness of laws when nobody keeps it, those who made the laws breaks it, those are to implement the laws breaks it... in fact every Nigerian is a born law-breaker.
Nigeria case is like that of Israelite in the Wilderness, before God even finish making the law they've already broken it.

Nigeria is a fail system, any engineer employ to repair it, end up worsen it.

NIGERIA IS A LAWLESS COUNTRY WRITTEN AND BOTH UNWRITTEN
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by walexsho(m): 8:11am On Apr 23, 2017
A man dear not complain, him go hang himself due to mockery
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by walexsho(m): 8:22am On Apr 23, 2017
jhudit:
Men are more sexually harassed?
Talk another story
They are harassed, but it can never be more than that of women.

Now people are claiming female bosses harass them, the same female bosses that are unnecessarily rude?
If a man report such, the system is so crazy that they make jest of the man, calling him names like Impotent, Mumu, Ọmọ ote. They will even tell him to go for Medical check up. He will be asked "are you sure You are okay". when an Abled 30 year old man tells you he has never engage in sex what will be your response? What pleasure will you derive from sugar mummies that may use man for age renewal, Male marketers are harassed by sugar mammas.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by Boyooosa(m): 9:09am On Apr 23, 2017
nonsense post... @op how does the rate at which men are harassed more than the women here in your empty post? so u want me to leave my idleness and start thinking of how to stop sexxual harassment in orgs when av not been able to unfold the owner of osbourn money. op, u no well o!
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by jhudit(f): 9:45am On Apr 23, 2017
mikolo80:
more than you think
Nov more than women
that's how you fail exam
jumping to conclusions like cane rat
Are you guys this dumb or you just lack basic understanding?
I have talk my own, talk your own and pass!!
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by CareerHubAfrica: 12:17pm On Apr 23, 2017
Abduljohn:
I think the best way to eradicate this is to establish a law and government institution to deal with it. If their is no law where the victim isn't protected it ll continue but when law protects victim and institution prosecute it ll reduce but its difficult to eradicate unless the difference between the poor and the rich is reduced to a minimal.

your suggestion is noted
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by CareerHubAfrica: 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2017
neocortex:
The problem is not that sexual harassment exists in the workplace,
the real challenge is that many of the victims do not see themselves
as one and without a victim, it is impossible to tackle a crime.
@CareerHubAfrica Most stories about sexual harassment against men are usually
told as a joke by the "victims" which essentially lessen the gravity
of the act.
yes, it is often told as a joke, but underneath that joke told by the victim, lies pain, shame, anger, and frustration. The victim might make a joke out of it because they feel it won't be seen as a real problem.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by cyndyzuriks(f): 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2017
Aimosagie:

Lol..because it is absolutely impossible to rape a man except his body truly wants it. He needs to be hard for a woman to even attempt the rape in the first place, and he needs to be sexually turned on by whatever he sees or feel. This isn't the same for the woman and we all know this. So even if there is something like sexually assaulting a man, it's hard to believe a man can be raped if we're honest with ourselves.
I think you are wrong, because the sex organ is something you cannot control. On stimulation and slight provacation it responds for both male and female. A man can actually be raped if under threat of life, it is only in cases where the man wasn't threatned and he had sex with his so called rapist, that your statement can come to stand. even when a woman is being raped, she is always very wet admist the fighting and struggling and tears. so i think it is wrong for you to use body reaction as excuse to justify that men cannot be raped.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by cyndyzuriks(f): 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

This topic is nothing but unrefined bull crap. So statistically if 1 out of every 1000 men experiences sexual harassment in the work place, it makes it as bad as the 900 out of 1000 women who experience it? Stupid, stupid, stupid angry
I think you need to read the article well, it never disputed the fact that women suffer this more than men. Just trying to bring to light, the fact that more men face it than we assume. Harassment na harassment. Even if only one man face am and 100 women face am. it doesnt make it any better.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by neocortex: 1:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
CareerHubAfrica:

yes, it is often told as a joke, but underneath that joke told by the victim, lies pain, shame, anger, and frustration. The victim might make a joke out of it because they feel it won't be seen as a real problem.

if you can't convince a victim that a wrong was done,
then you have already lost the battle before it begins.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by Yusufmanusman(m): 6:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
This is what arab country like arabia did like. Command the law force the law make a better living.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by mikolo80: 11:18pm On Apr 28, 2017
jhudit:

Are you guys this dumb or you just lack basic understanding?
I have talk my own, talk your own and pass!!
are you women so bad at English. can you not read and comprehend before jumping to conclusions like grass cutter
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by mikolo80: 5:42am On Apr 29, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:

I'm a Nigerian and I know exactly what I'm saying. Tell me the usefulness of laws when nobody keeps it, those who made the laws breaks it, those are to implement the laws breaks it... in fact every Nigerian is a born law-breaker.
Nigeria case is like that of Israelite in the Wilderness, before God even finish making the law they've already broken it.
and what did God use their eye to see. calm down and suffer consequences of your action and inaction
Nigeria is a fail system, naija is working right on track. you and the rest of us are the failures any engineer employ to repair it, end up worsen it. name the ''engineer'' ''employed'' to ''repair ''

NIGERIA IS A LAWLESS COUNTRY WRITTEN AND BOTH UNWRITTEN
no it's not, you're the one who doesn't know the laws
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by Nobody: 6:56am On Apr 29, 2017
mikolo80:
no it's not, you're the one who doesn't know the laws
it's obvious you don't want to face reality.
Your pass and present Leaders are the *Engineers*
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by Donkelz1(m): 7:11am On Apr 29, 2017
CareerHubAfrica:
Google ‘Sexual Harassment in the Workplace’ and you will discover that 90 percent of the image results you see depicts a woman being harassed by a man.

Women are 9 times more vulnerable to sexual harassment at work than men. This may be true, but have you ever stopped to think how often men are subjected to such things?

Sexual harassment is an unwanted sexual advance or request for sexual favor usually done physically or verbally. It can be from boss to subordinate, supervisor to subordinate or even co-worker to co-worker. Sexual harassment is a silent epidemic that has eaten deep into the Nigerian workplace. Actually, it has become so common that people are beginning to see it as a norm. Statements like these have become the order of the day – “As long as there is a boss and a subordinate somewhere, irrespective of gender, there will always be sexual harassment”. “It is normal”. “Don’t make a big deal out of it”. To make it worse, the economic situation of the country makes many succumb to harassment, even when they find it disturbing. They refuse to speak up for fear of losing their jobs.

Undoubtedly, men are responsible for a good number of sexual harassment in the workplace. But men are also targets and victims of this same menace, and we often forget that. Maybe it seems like it doesn’t exist because most men actually deal with the harassment head on and then shrug it off. Let me give you a typical scenario.

Jane, a female staff of a small food processing company, harassed a new intern assigned to work with her department. She constantly made snide comments and asked him offensive questions like “How large is your pen***”.

At some point, she started taking it as far as groping him whenever they were alone in the office. This intern tried many times to tell her off nicely but she wouldn’t oblige. He dealt with it silently and never reported her to the authorities because he had seen her couple of times going in and out of the CEO’s office at odd times including after work hours. He thinks she is actually sleeping with the boss and if he reports this, he would be out the door before you say jack!

This is just one of many scenarios, cases like this go on in our workplaces on a daily basis. Harassment is the same, be it to a male or female and should be treated the same. The disturbing experience of harassment leaves the victim often frustrated, depressed and angry. As it is considered normal office culture, many people who go through this don’t feel confident that the problem is big enough for them to speak up.

What can we do to eradicate this bug eating itself through our workplaces?

Nigeria does not have very stringent rules with regards sexual harassment. Some people think reporting harassment cases is completely useless. Because even those you are reporting to are somewhat guilty of the same offence and you might end up with nothing or even lose the job.

So what can we do to stop this?

What do you suggest? Leave your comments below.

Article on our blog - https:///IO1xzw

You are very correct, cause I have witness that several times. my boss was almost choked up by his secretary... he had no choice but to fire her.
Re: Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! by mikolo80: 9:49pm On Apr 29, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:

it's obvious you don't want to face reality.
Your pass and present Leaders are the *Engineers*
no, they are saboteurs. there's a difference

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Know The Difference Between Gross And Net Salary Before The Job Offer. / Lady Who Rehabilitated A Destitute Losses Her Job, See Her Reaction / Spy Nigeria Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.