Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real (1687 Views)

Coronavirus And 5G: Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Addresses Conspiracy Theory (Video / Pope: The Theories Of Evolution And Big Bang Are Real, God Not A Magician / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 24, 2017
NPComplete:

Nobody is saying u should discard the whole bible. It isn't total garbage. And there are wisdoms still to be gleaned from it as long as we acknowledge it isn't exactly infallible or the written word of God. And there are parts of it that should be dismissed as bunkum.

The bible is mostly just religious prejudice written by people who didn't know better and who thought they were actually doing the work of God. Still, it is better than the Quran. Far better.

That makes us even. You are an intellectual
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by italo: 7:06am On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:
This kind of thing is not new to the churches. You see, first the churches said Earth is flat. When they were proven by logic that it's rather a circle, they accepted it. They also said, Earth is at the center of the solar system. When they were proven that it's not, they accepted it. There are also others like this that happened to them. Now this happened and more to happen in the future. All people will come to total agreement with science.

The Catholic Church has never had a doctrine that said the earth was flat, or that evolution is false.

The first person to propound the Big Bang Theory is a Catholic Priest, Rev. Fr Georges Lemaitre.

Catholic faith is in perfect harmony with true science.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by italo: 7:10am On Apr 26, 2017
NPComplete:

Nobody is saying u should discard the whole bible. It isn't total garbage. And there are wisdoms still to be gleaned from it as long as we acknowledge it isn't exactly infallible or the written word of God. And there are parts of it that should be dismissed as bunkum.

The bible is mostly just religious prejudice written by people who didn't know better and who thought they were actually doing the work of God. Still, it is better than the Quran. Far better.

There is no problem with the bible. It is people who think the bible is a science textbook that have a problem.

If in my story, I say it rained cats and dogs, and science proves that cats and dogs didnt fall from the sky, does that make my story false? No.

The bible was written to convey theological truths, not scientific facts, even though it does contain some scientific truths.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 7:51am On Apr 26, 2017
italo:

There is no problem with the bible. It is people who think the bible is a science textbook that have a problem.

If in my story, I say it rained cats and dogs, and science proves that cats and dogs didnt fall from the sky, does that make my story false? No.

The bible was written to convey theological truths, not scientific facts, even though it does contain some scientific truths.

What does that part in bold even mean? The bible contains scientific inaccuracies, historical inaccuracies and any other form of inaccuracy u can think of. That isn't a problem in itself. It can be chalked up to the creative liberty of its authors. But the problem arises when u try to force it down other people's throats and call it absolute truth
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by italo: 9:33am On Apr 26, 2017
NPComplete:

What does that part in bold even mean? The bible contains scientific inaccuracies, historical inaccuracies and any other form of inaccuracy u can think of. That isn't a problem in itself. It can be chalked up to the creative liberty of its authors. But the problem arises when u try to force it down other people's throats and call it absolute truth

The bible was not written to teach you science or history...as science textbooks are not written to teach you theology or history...and history textbooks are not written to teach you science or theology.

The theological truths of the bible, as explained by the Church are absolute. The Church doesnt impose it on anyone, but rather proposes it to the world.

An example: God exists. That is an absolute truth that we propose to the world. However, you are free to believe that the world and all intelligence in it came from random particles that began to collide against one another. Your business.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 10:06am On Apr 26, 2017
italo:

The bible was not written to teach you science or history...as science textbooks are not written to teach you theology or history...and history textbooks are not written to teach you science or theology.

The theological truths of the bible, as explained by the Church are absolute. The Church doesnt impose it on anyone, but rather proposes it to the world.

An example: God exists. That is an absolute truth that we propose to the world. However, you are free to believe that the world and all intelligence in it came from random particles that began to collide against one another. Your business.

First I am not atheist and I am not Muslim lest ur paranoia takes over. I do believe in God. So that's not the argument we are having.
Now u are probably the first open-minded Christian I have met; able to separate ur theology from ur science. Fine. So I have no argument with u anymore. My grouse is with those who gives a fundamentalist interpretation to the bible who will seek to use it as the basis for science and every other knowledge and who will challenge facts because it runs contrary to what is written in the bible.
Cheers bro smiley
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 10:06am On Apr 26, 2017
NPComplete:

The book of genesis? I even thought u were being logical. A book transcribed from the oral folklore of Bronze Age goat herders whose culture was rife with superstitions. Whose present day descendants only see it as an allegory but nor genuine historical fact.
If I believe in that badly thought out story, by the same logic I should also believe in Yoruba folklore about chickens and palm kernel and shyte.
Peace

You bet you don't have a clue to historical-encription in Yoruba tale of creation. If I start to ask you to analyse and decode the story, you will feel baffled to talk about what's to you a cock and bull story. But the story of Yoruba myth in particular did exactly what the recorders want it to do.

So, are they fools trying to tell a foolish story? No, they were intelligent historians recording history with the accurate wisdom of their time. And you need to understand the mnemonics of that particular time if ever their story will mean anything to you at all than pure garbage.

The creation story in the bible cannot be seen as 'happening now' report but ex-post-facto. It remains the truth as can be conveyed in the language of man as it was when written. In it, God, or the Intelligent designer has a purpose and he made it come to pass as he has wanted.

But in 'big bang theory' a chaotic cosmic body explode and the universe is what it is today: in order I would say. My sincere awe is, how does order comes from disorder? How does a cosmic machine as the universe is invent itself? Who derive joy in the beauty of the book of creation?

If the universe is purposeless, what's the purpose in existence? Life is derivative of no particular order, no particular purpose, but explosive chaos going on for aeons. So creation or existence is a busy but no core purpose place? That's the end of all the advancement of science.

The moment you want to make meaning out of this scientific life, the God factor and its humble creed will haunt you day by day. The religious book will never be rewritten, but the scientific explanation of the origin will never become scientifically proven: a house divided against itself shall not stand.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by NPComplete: 10:11am On Apr 26, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

You bet you don't have a clue to historical-encription in Yoruba tale of creation. If I start to ask you to analyse and decode the story, you will feel baffled to talk about what's to you a cock and bull story. But the story of Yoruba myth in particular did exactly what the recorders want it to do.

So, are they fools trying to tell a foolish story? No, they were intelligent historians recording history with the accurate wisdom of their time. And you need to understand the mnemonics of that particular time if ever their story will mean anything to you at all than pure garbage.

The creation story in the bible cannot be seen as 'happening now' report but ex-post-facto. It remains the truth as can be conveyed in the language of man as it was when written. In it, God, or the Intelligent designer has a purpose and he made it come to pass as he has wanted.

But in 'big bang theory' a chaotic cosmic body explode and the universe is what it is today: in order I would say. My sincere awe is, how does order comes from disorder? How does a cosmic machine as the universe is invent itself? Who derive joy in the beauty of the book of creation?

If the universe is purposeless, what's the purpose in existence? Life is derivative of no particular order, no particular purpose, but explosive chaos going on for aeons. So creation or existence is a busy but no core purpose place? That's the end of all the advancement of science.

The moment you want to make meaning out of this scientific life, the God factor and its humble creed will haunt you day by day. The religious book will never be rewritten, but the scientific explanation of the origin will never become scientifically proven: a house divided against itself shall not stand.

So u wrote this long wall of shyte because of who? Me? All what u wrote up there is filled with so much fallacies that I don't even know where to begin.
The first mistake u made is probably assuming I am an atheist and I believe "the universe is purposeless" as u so eloquently put it.
I can't even begin to have a conversion with u when ur submission is already filled with so much prejudice.
Bye bye.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by absoluteSuccess: 10:17am On Apr 26, 2017
NPComplete:

So u wrote this long wall of shyte because of who? Me? All what u wrote up there is filled with fallacies that I don't even know where to begin.
The first mistake u made is probably assuming I am an atheist and I believe "the universe is purposeless" as u so eloquently put it.
I can't even begin to have a conversion with u when ur submission is already filled with so much prejudice.
Bye bye.

Sorry if my long epistle offends you, that's not my intention. Someone somewhere will surely finds something useful in a shyte. The only perfect thing is whatever you think, contrary view is fallacy.

Have a nice day bro.
Re: Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real by Ubenedictus(m): 12:19pm On Apr 26, 2017
princechurchill:
I cease to concur with any papacy after the death of Galileo..
who killed galileo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man From Clay Or Man From Primate, Which Is More Credible? / The True Definition Of The Word Of God - Pastor Chris / What Role Has Jesus Played In Our Knowing God Before God Sent Him To Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.