Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

FG To Launch Dredging Of 162km Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterways On Friday - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Launch Dredging Of 162km Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterways On Friday (13192 Views)

Southern, Middle Belt Leaders Reject Livestock Policy, Waterways Bill / Ambode Again Lagos State Commissions Lagos State Waterways Authority HQ. PICS / Amaechi, Yahaya Bello Flag Off Dredging Of River Niger Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: FG To Launch Dredging Of 162km Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterways On Friday by mapet: 10:47am On Apr 28, 2017
pacino26:

I wish most NL mentions will be like the ones we've been having. Nice outline though.
....@Seun we need a thumb-up emoticon
My definition of Kogi been landlocked is relative to the fact that it's not open to the high seas or ocean. River Niger from upper Volta isn't promoting the kind of trade we need or add anticipated by Amechi. ....Our dredging aspirations and execution ideally is a process. The longer objective is to connect all the water ways. There must be some cetral hubs with access to larger waters. River Niger should be linked to the inner water ways.....

Comparing use of pipelines to barges is completely out of the question. Pipelines are better but you know also is not working for refined products especially in the Niger Delta grin....Yes, But I believe if we stay the course and see our diversification aspiration through,
each region will be incentivised to protect assets and infrastructures within their domain. Don't get me wrong, barges are good complement to moving both crude oil out and refined products in, but they cannot serve as the absolute means

Since the ministry is taking the path of direct labor, they should consider those routes mentioned.....I agree. We should have a mid-long term strategic plan that says when and how the routes will be connected

Mind you, there are other products to be exported from these areas to you know. Minerals from Ebonyi and Co. They can easily find their way out. ....Agreed. It depends on the potential volume of trade which can be stimulated by govt anyways. The approach is to have a central hub, say Onitsha and get good to be moved either by road, rail and small barges to the hub and from thence out

Cheers bro.

Cheers to you too Bro.
Re: FG To Launch Dredging Of 162km Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterways On Friday by TabletMan: 12:11pm On Apr 28, 2017
mapet:

You do not need to wait till they finish dredging to make a lucid and well articulated argument. From your arguement, I see that you are so ill-informed.

Ajaokuta to Bayelsa? Haba? Do you think this is child's play? What is the volume of business in Bayelsa today or projected 30yrs that they will direct such resources to and ignore Onitsha, a commercial hub of the East?

wrt the links, I think the issue is with you not comprehending. It's this simple. They need $2b in total. That $2b will involve equity contributions of both government and private sector participant who the plant is concessioned to. Besides the $2b will not be raised in one single year, simple project economics tells you that capital outlay may be spread over 3-5yrs.

I think you should go find out about the state of the plant, how Y'Ardua's govt concessioned it to an Indian firm, how GEJ cancelled the concession arrangement, how the Indians went to court and nobody was able to run the plant....to how the current govt has just settled out of court to allow the Indians return back on renegotiated terms.
I thought you know the coastline and I am here arguing with you. dredging from ajaokuta to bayelsa also means that Onitsha coastline is inclusive, you're the person who is ill informed .
You're know quoting how to raise and details in the $2b but I see non of it in the Newsline.
Re: FG To Launch Dredging Of 162km Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterways On Friday by OreMI22: 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2017
Keneking:
Amazing; so Onitsha port would soon receiving cargoes and vessels containing oil etc from China and Europe. grin grin

Deceitful news.
They want to create a River port at Baro for Northern Nigeria.

They are deliberately being deceitful by mentioning "Onitsha" because the project will start waaay beyond Onitsha.

Saying Idah to Ajaokuta would be a more accurate depiction of the project.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

700MW Zungeru Hydro Power Plant Is 45 Percent Complete - Federal Government / Abike Dabiri Condemns Destruction Of Vehicles At The Nigerian Embassy In London / David Nketim-Rex: Treatment Of Gunshot Patients Lawful, Says Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.